IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

3 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Who names a baby Ethel now days even as middle name? That has not been trendy for 60 years . Evelyn is not exactly a name someone like Jessa would use as first name for a baby girl  either. It’s dated as well. 

Evelyn is one of those trendy old school names that has made a comeback. Ethel, not so much. Not yet, anyway.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5

58 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Evelyn is one of those trendy old school names that has made a comeback. Ethel, not so much. Not yet, anyway.

Yeah exactly. Old names are making a comeback. I used to think that Alice and Eleanor were both old lady/ugly names, now they both strike me as modern and beautiful. 

Classic/old-fashioned names have been trendy for the past few years. I'd be surprised if Ethel gets resurrected but not necessarily shocked.  

• Upvote 15

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm wondering if any female family names will get used. Michelle's mom's name was Evelyn, and I'm kinda surprised that that name hasn't gotten bandied about more when Garrett (her dad's name) has been used twice. 

There haven’t been a lot of baby girls born into the family thus far. I don’t see any of them purposely choosing to honor female family members when naming their male infants, though the Dills did choose to use Derick’s Grandma’s maiden name as Samuel’s middle name (Scott.) The only girls thus far are Mack, Meredith, and Felicity. All three of them do have family names though:

Mackynzie Renée - first name is apparently spelled the same way as a cousin’s name (if I remember that right) and Renée is Anna’s middle name.

Meredith Grace - she shares a middle name with Jordyn, though I don’t know if that was intentional.

Felicity Nicole - she shares a middle name with Jinger.

I believe the Smuggars also chose the “M” theme to honor Michelle as well.

Other family names:

Michael James - both his names are the first names of his grandfathers

Samuel Scott - I explained his middle name above, but his first name is actually Justin’s middle name too. 

Mason Garrett - he shares a middle name with Joseph. It’s also the first name of Joseph's son and Michelle’s father.

Gideon Martyn - shares a middle name with his father.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Oh, I didn't realize David was Dan's middle name as well! I know fundies love King David, but I did wonder if Joe and Kendra picked David as a middle name for Garrett as a shout out to John David.

Yep! Daniel David Dillard is his full name. I think the Dills stared publicly that they wanted to honor those two brothers by picking that name (as well as because of King David), but I’m not positive about that. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 6

41 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah, yet is the key word. There's a lot of names that you'd think would never come back and they do. I never thought my nephew's name would take off. Ava's made a comeback, Edith's making a comeback, and so is Evelyn. All it takes is one book, TV show, movie, or parents looking for something different or not as common. 

• Upvote 10

8 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Mackynzie Renée - first name is apparently spelled the same way as a cousin’s name (if I remember that right) and Renée is Anna’s middle name.

Meredith Grace - she shares a middle name with Jordyn, though I don’t know if that was intentional.

Felicity Nicole - she shares a middle name with Jinger.

I believe the Smuggars also chose the “M” theme to honor Michelle as well.

With Mackynzie, they said it was Josh's cousin's name but spelled a little differently (so I'm assuming the cousin's name was Mackenzie or McKenzie). Since they pronounce their e's like i's, it makes sense to me that they'd view Mackynzie and Mackenzie as the same name, just spelled differently.

I also remember them saying that they were going with an M theme to honour Michelle.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I picked names that have been common for centuries, and haven't been out of the top 20 in the last 140 years in the US, and were mostly in the top 10. I know a lot of people that won't pick any name in the top #100, which I think is strange. Who cares what everyone else is naming their kids? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I love many old names. Don't know if I should admit to this or not, I even love the name Esther. Then again, one of my favorite Aunt's was named Esther, but she was known as Ess. ❤️

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I picked names that have been common for centuries, and haven't been out of the top 20 in the last 140 years in the US, and were mostly in the top 10. I know a lot of people that won't pick any name in the top #100, which I think is strange. Who cares what everyone else is naming their kids? 

I’ve wondered the same. And names can always change in popularity after you’ve named a child. Both my girls’ names soared in popularity about five years after they were born. There are now dozens of Charlottes and Alices but when they were newborns, both names were unusual classic throwbacks. We didn’t chose them to be different (our naming theme is title characters in children’s literature), so I don’t care how many other kids are running around with their names. My classic name has always been in the top 20-25 for, like, centuries and there still aren’t THAT many women in my life with my name. 

• Upvote 7

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Gertrude and Leona haven't come back yet. Good.

My grandmother’s name was Leona. None of her many descendants have saddled a kid with it. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Singer Lily Allen named her oldest daughter Ethel a few years ago. Not to my taste but a lot better than a lot of celebrity baby names.

• Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My grandmother’s name was Leona. None of her many descendants have saddled a kid with it. 

See I think that one is pretty.  I've got a long line of Clemendinas above the Alexias in my tree. That ain't coming anywhere. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

My late grandmothers name was Florine. The older I get the more I like that name . Her sisters name was Verna which definitely needs to stay sitting in the rest home with Myrtle and Mildred. 

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Who names a baby Ethel now days even as middle name? That has not been trendy for 60 years . Evelyn is not exactly a name someone like Jessa would use as first name for a baby girl  either. It’s dated as well. 

Just as another example of really skewed thinking... wouldn’t use Evelyn, but named her first son Spurgeon. What kind of person uses Spurgeon as a first name for their #1 son? 

• Upvote 8

When I was pregnant with my first we were at my in laws one evening and  talking girl names (we knew it was a girl). My sis in law says "Why don't you name her Louise?" And I was like ewwww no way! His mom pipes up and says that's her middle name. I was like oops... ? Happened again with my 2nd girl and my grandmother, who recommended her name, Hazel. That time I was more careful in staying neutral. 

• Haha 13

I'm not planning on having kids now, but years ago before I met my husband I made a Word Doc of kids names I liked and added to it when we were first married (before I'd decided not to have children). I hunted it down on my Google Drive because of this discussion and found that I still like them:

Girl:
-Samantha
-Isabelle
-Vivian
-Olivia
-Merida/Meredith
-Lillian
-Madilyn

Boy:
-Samuel
-Silvan
-Gideon
-Daniel
-James

Edited by MarbleRainbow
  • Upvote 3

I had a friend in high school whose mother was 15 when he was born... He was 16 with his first, and 17 when his daughter was born... A few years ago, his daughter had a baby when she was 14, so he was a grandpa at 31/32 depending on when the baby's birthday fell

• Sad 4
  • WTF 8

5 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Well when Hortense, Bertha and Gladys come back into style it will be a dark time LoL

I have a grandmother named Gladys and it would be sorta fun if that came back into style just so somebody could name a kid after her. 

It's funny how these things go around. I always really liked the name Linda (maybe because I grew up listening to Linda Ronstadt?) and only later found out that it's strictly considered a fusty middle-aged name now. But it still sounds pretty to me!

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Damn I feel weird. I find Evelyn, Ethel and Hortense to be so beautiful. :Oops!:

I really like the names Evelyn, Celeste, Stella, Agnes, and Gretchen, much to the horror of many people. 

Still can't be down with Hortense though...

5 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I think it's a different case when you're giving your kids classic names like "John" and "Sarah" that have stood the test of time, but I can understand avoiding trends. I always kinda felt bad for the five Jennifers in my class who had to go by "Jenny S." and "Jenny D." to be delineated. 

Then again, I'm a weird person with a weird name I've grown to love, so I might be sort of biased here. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

It's funny how these things go around. I always really liked the name Linda (maybe because I grew up listening to Linda Ronstadt?) and only later found out that it's strictly considered a fusty middle-aged name now. But it still sounds pretty to me!

I actually think Linda is a really pretty name too. I feel like it might come back into style in a few decades. I always really liked the name Irene. I had a friend named Irene growing up and had no idea it was considered an ‘old lady’ name until I was an adult. She was the only Irene I knew, so it seemed like a beautiful, youthful name to me!

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

My late grandmothers name was Florine. The older I get the more I like that name . Her sisters name was Verna which definitely needs to stay sitting in the rest home with Myrtle and Mildred. 

Florine reminds me of the Swiss story with Flurina! Nice!

• Upvote 2

• Georgiana locked this topic