IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

This might be weird, but I find it very sexy/intimate when people call their partners by their full names when they generally go by a shortened version of it (ie Mike/Michael, Josh/Joshua, Ben/Benjamin)

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

My cousin, Claudine, could never find anything with her name on it either! And you should see the names they write on her cups at Starbucks! One of the best ones was something like Quadzine..... Claudine is not that unusual of a name! 

what's annoying is when you have a popular name. (It was super popular when I was born) but there are so many spellings of it and they only usually put the most prominnate spelling so yes I could find things with my name but hardly ever with the right spelling.  also when I go to places and they ask for my name I play a game to see if they will spell it right. 

Edited by Ivycoveredtower
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

what's annoying is when you have a popular name. (It was super popular when I was born) but there are so many spellings of it and they only usually put the most prominnate spelling so yes I could find things with my name but hardly ever with the right spelling. 

That's my son's case. Its quite a popular name. I spelled it the traditional Irish way. He would find plenty of stuff if he went there! 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, viii said:

This might be weird, but I find it very sexy/intimate when people call their partners by their full names when they generally go by a shortened version of it (ie Mike/Michael, Josh/Joshua, Ben/Benjamin)

Not in this forum. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 25
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Not in this forum. 

lmaoooo the minute I posted that, I was like SHOULD HAVE USED A DIFFERENT EXAMPLE

rookie mistake

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 43

16 hours ago, Smee said:

Quoting myself because I went to a shop today and had the following exchange with the guy trying to sell me soccer boots:

him (to daughter): What’s your name?

Me (after she goes shy and doesn’t answer): Leo*

Him: Leo?

Me: Short for Eleonor*

Him: Eleonor, that’s an unusual name. She’ll get called Ellie*

Me: no, part of using Leo was to avoid Ellie, and she goes by Leo probably 90% of the time. My mum tried calling her Ellie but it didn’t stick. 

Him (over the next 20min helping me pick boots): Ellie, what do you think of mum’s boots? Ellie, which ones do you like better? Here, Ellie, do you want to be a big helper and carry this box?

Etc.

I’d always said I didn’t dislike the not-nickname, and if she chooses to go by it later in life that’s fine, but now I’m not so sure. It just sounded so WRONG on her and I was kind of offended that he completely ignored the part where I explicitly said that’s NOT what anyone calls her.

*not the actual names

I had a salesclerk do this once to my nephew. My 3 year old nephew said "my name is *fullname* not *nickname* The next time the sales clerk called him the nickname my nephew said "its just fullname, only fullname." I almost died laughing but said to the clerk please use his full name. And the clerk used the nickname again. We left.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 13

On 5/5/2019 at 11:45 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Naming your kid is hard. There are always people that judge the name or say it is a terrible choice.  I LOVE the name Henry and wanted to name DS that DH was cool with it but when we told people the name they would grumble or look at me weird. My bitch of a mother said "that is a horrible name for a child and if you name him that I will call him something else"  It was so bad that we changed his name, there were still a couple grumblings but everyone seemed more ok with Elijah over Henry.  I had no idea a name would make people so crazy.  When I got pregnant the 2nd time after we found out it was a girl I didn't tell anyone her name until it was on the birth certificate. I said if you don't like her name, that is YOUR problem, we like it, it is her name now shut up and call her that. 

Oh yeah, when you get middle named you know you are in trouble.  I go by a diminutive of my name so when my full name comes out with the middle name, yep I knew I was in deep shit.

My brother and his wife picked out a normal name for their first, then told everyone and realized that it was extremely popular, so they changed it. They didn’t want him to be the 5th Jordan in his kindergarten class.

My husband and I have infertility, so it took a long time and tons of money to finally have a baby, thus me being older than Kendra and Lauren’s parents. During the infertility testing phase, we picked out 2 boys and 2 girls names, since twins/multiples are common with infertility. The first boy and the two girls names are family names, but the second boy name was after Luke Skywalker. We also named our embryos from our failed infertility treatments, different names, it helped with the healing process.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 21

17 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My daughter has an uncommon name, and you can NEVER find it on a key chain or souvenir license plate, The closet we've come had her named spelled with a J, not a G like we spelled it, and even at 19 she is still bitter, and every time someone posts something with those cheap little trinkets she copies me and says "from the poor child who never got personalized ANYTHING". 

I told her I should have just named her Edwardo since you can ALWAYS find Edwardo on all that stuff. IKR Edwardo, odd, for a small childs thing. 

My mom has always cross stitched baby names on bibs (now I do the same thing) for a present. We have both seen some unique names and spellings over the years. As the years have gone on, both of us get comments about how they have gotten no other presents with baby's name on it so it's really appreciated. It's always nice to have something with the name for each kid.

Because of different spellings, I no longer make the bibs a surprise and ask/require that someone send the name to me in writing before I will start a bib. I've been told "It's spelling the traditional way..." and I am always like "Humor me". There are some names that have two traditional spellings (ie Elizabeth with the z for western European and Elisabeth with the s for eastern European).

• Upvote 12

21 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My daughter has an uncommon name, and you can NEVER find it on a key chain or souvenir license plate, The closet we've come had her named spelled with a J, not a G like we spelled it, and even at 19 she is still bitter, and every time someone posts something with those cheap little trinkets she copies me and says "from the poor child who never got personalized ANYTHING". 

I told her I should have just named her Edwardo since you can ALWAYS find Edwardo on all that stuff. IKR Edwardo, odd, for a small childs thing. 

I was the same way. I have a fairly common 1980s name but it's spelled completely wrong. My parents thought it looked better spelled how it is but I was never able to get anything personalized. My sister and brother with normal spelled semi common names got the license plates for their bikes, school supplies, room decor and Christmas ornaments but not me!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

My daughter has a common nickname but an uncommon name. I liked that when we went to Dylan's Candy Bar in NYC they had a machine to print out personalized labels for some items. 

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

I was the same way. I have a fairly common 1980s name but it's spelled completely wrong. My parents thought it looked better spelled how it is but I was never able to get anything personalized. My sister and brother with normal spelled semi common names got the license plates for their bikes, school supplies, room decor and Christmas ornaments but not me!

My nephew's have names that are not that uncommon here but they have Irish spellings and they only get things with their name on it if it's personalised in shops, oldest nephew has an accent on the e of his name and people tend to leave it out, when he was getting his name on the back of his Celtic shirt a couple of years ago he asked the man doing it if they could add the accent to his name and he cut up another letter to make the accent, another shop refused to do it even when my sister said she would pay for it as an extra letter.

• Upvote 2

I have a fairly common name I think - but there are about nine million ways to spell it. Very few of which are ever MY way of spelling it. So I'm one of those poor kids traumatized by never getting ANYTHING with their name on it. 
So now I have a ruler, an ornament, a little sticker that looks like a street sign - I pretty well buy it if I can find it!

My son has a very standard name - think Michael. And I thought it would be a fairly easy name to spell - it gets mis-spelled a LOT. There's the "normal" way, a way without an extra letter, and the French way. 
At age 6, he doesn't shorten it - but he did tell me, as he was writing out his Valentine's cards "I'm going by Mike now. Michael is too many letters..." (not his real name, of course) 

(and we have friends who call him the shortened version and I'm just not used to it - I don't shorten THEIR kids names...) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2019 at 9:21 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Is it Ginger? :wink-penguin:

I have never seen Miniway’s name on anything here but he does have cup that I bought in Germany last year. He also has a keychain that my sister in law had custom made for him wich I thought was really sweet. He keeps it on his backpack. 

• Upvote 1

I have a reasonably common name but there are at least four different ways to spell it. Also it is a straight up man’s name. I’ve met plenty of guys with my name over the years. When I was a child, if I did find anything with the correct spelling of my name on it, it was boy-themed, haha. It really bothered me when I was young. 

Still not a big fan of my name but I am no longer upset that I can’t find one of those little license plates or keychains with my name with my correct spelling on it. I do get asked about my name every time I introduce myself though. My parents to this day claim my name is supposedly ‘gender-neutral’ but based off of life experiences, it really isn’t.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

My nephew's have names that are not that uncommon here but they have Irish spellings and they only get things with their name on it if it's personalised in shops, oldest nephew has an accent on the e of his name and people tend to leave it out, when he was getting his name on the back of his Celtic shirt a couple of years ago he asked the man doing it if they could add the accent to his name and he cut up another letter to make the accent, another shop refused to do it even when my sister said she would pay for it as an extra letter.

OMG that's insane. Like it's that much harder to add the accent. I guess personalized isn't always personalized. 

23 hours ago, Meggo said:

I have a fairly common name I think - but there are about nine million ways to spell it. Very few of which are ever MY way of spelling it. So I'm one of those poor kids traumatized by never getting ANYTHING with their name on it. 
So now I have a ruler, an ornament, a little sticker that looks like a street sign - I pretty well buy it if I can find it!

My son has a very standard name - think Michael. And I thought it would be a fairly easy name to spell - it gets mis-spelled a LOT. There's the "normal" way, a way without an extra letter, and the French way. 
At age 6, he doesn't shorten it - but he did tell me, as he was writing out his Valentine's cards "I'm going by Mike now. Michael is too many letters..." (not his real name, of course) 

(and we have friends who call him the shortened version and I'm just not used to it - I don't shorten THEIR kids names...) 

When we were naming our son we loved a name with multiple spelling variations so we did lots of research and found what we thought was the most common spelling. Turns out that around here we were wrong because we always get the alternate spelling. So for example; we thought Corey was the most common but everyone spells it Cory, that type of thing. 

• Upvote 2

so it looks like someone broke into Kendra's parents van and stole some skirts. honestly I'm just confused by the hashtag. 

4 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

OMG that's insane. Like it's that much harder to add the accent. I guess personalized isn't always personalized. 

When we were naming our son we loved a name with multiple spelling variations so we did lots of research and found what we thought was the most common spelling. Turns out that around here we were wrong because we always get the alternate spelling. So for example; we thought Corey was the most common but everyone spells it Cory, that type of thing. 

if you are in the united states and you go to the SSA website for baby names you can see name popularity by state.  that might be helpful to anyone on this thread in the future. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

so it looks like someone broke into Kendra's parents van and stole some skirts. honestly I'm just confused by the hashtag. 

if you are in the united states and you go to the SSA website for baby names you can see name popularity by state.  that might be helpful to anyone on this thread in the future. 

Yeah that's what we did. Our version was the more popular but still we're constantly adding that extra letter. 

Oh and whoever stole that jean skirt, I hope they burn it. Because that's where it belongs. 

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11

Are they sure they didn't just misplace those skirts? They are hideous. There's bound to be one disappointed thief out there.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

I like the skirts, I think they look nice. Especially the jean skirt. They just look a bit difficult to run in. Not that you always have to run, but it's nice to have the option. Like if you're late for class or the bus. 

• Upvote 1

I’d bet there are a lot of kids these days who can’t buy personalised stuff in shops. I can’t remember where I read it (which is annoying because I also can’t remember the exact figures), but the percentage of kids with a top twenty name 30 years ago was more than double what it is now. Between that, the return of sewing/crocheting/knitting as cool skills to have, and the internet’s facilitating places like Etsy and Facebook business pages, there seems to be a huge surge in personalised handmade items. Most of the kids I know with something with their name on it didn’t get a mass produced one from a souvenir shop.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

oh crap I can see Kendra being a super strict gender role mom. he's such a boy because he plays with a stick. I don't know about you but I played with plenty of sticks growing up and i'm 100% girl. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 4

That’s just a given with these people. It’s one of the basics of Christian Fundamentalism after all.  

• Upvote 11

8 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s just a given with these people. It’s one of the basics of Christian Fundamentalism after all.  

well I mean considering how close Kendra claims to be with tom boy Joy you would think she'd be a little less but then Kendra always did come off as one of the heaviest kool aid drinkers 

• Upvote 4

Glad I wasn't the only one. "Wow, he's playing with a stick - he's such a BOY!!" Literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough. A stick. A frigging stick.

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

• Georgiana locked this topic