IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

I worked with a gal who had a twin sister, they were Pammie & Tammie. That is about the worst I've heard. 

My mom went to school with Carla & Marla and their little sister Darla (who was NOT a twin but 11 months younger than the twins. ? 

My Bff's mother's family has(d) 2 boys and 4 girls the girls are all named Linda, Brenda, Arminda & Jacinda.    

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2

my husband has brothers named Faron and Aaron.  Not twins.  They are the oldest of 7, none of the other names rhyme.  Still wonder what their mom was thinking.

Edited by fundiefollower
  • Upvote 6

There are two Russian gymnasts, identical twins, named Dina and Arina Averina. They have an older sister named Polina.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1

I went to school with:  Cathy and Chrissy, Sherri and Scott, Judy  and Joyce, Melvin and Steven, Ingrid and Colin.

My pregnancy was twins but I lost one.   The names choosen were Nicholas Andrew* and Braden Alexander*.   I ended up calling my son Nicholas Alexander*.

*names changed.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 15

On 4/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, Glasgowghirl said:

I once saw a man, who had Kayden, Aidan and Brayden tattooed on his neck presumably they were his children's names. The names were far to similar.

I currently know someone with 3 boys who all have  "aiden" rhyming names.. She's currently pregnant with #4, a girl. I asked if she was keeping the trend... She's not

• Upvote 4

On 4/28/2019 at 11:00 AM, SweetJuly said:

I can understand wanting to give somehow matching names to twins as a way of expressing that they will naturally always be closer (for better, for worse) than other siblings, but giving essentially the same or rhyming names seems taking it a little far. I have no idea what I'd do if I had twins, to be honest... I'd probably try to find names that very subtly match or have a "theme" (flower names, biblical names, etc.) or whose connection is only clear to my husband and me.

The closest I have to outrageously named children is siblings with similar names among family and friends (Georges and Georgette, Christian and Christine), an aunt who did a letter theme ("N"), and the family of a teacher of mine where the father was called Petrus and the two children Petra and Peter.

I think giving twins matching names (like Tim&Tom) can be a disservice to them. All identical twins I know have very different personalities and struggled (some still do) with their twin status. Not necessarily because they don’t like each other (even though all have their own best friends and one pair isn’t speaking to each other) but because people often don’t see or treat them as individuals. Starting with parents who assume that they will obviously be the very best of friends (and even dress them in matching clothes for years), to teachers who compare, to friends who always get the same gifts for birthdays and so on. 

Just because you are siblings or twins doesn’t mean you have to be close or best friends. It can be nice if it happens but we should all be allowed and encouraged to seek deep relationships outside our families.

• Upvote 13

I went to school with an Angela and Andrea they still dress alike and do everything together to this day. They used to work at the drive through at McDonald's and one would take your money and the other would hand you your food in the next window. I'm sure they and their manager, I'm guessing, enjoyed messing with people. ?

• Haha 11

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I think giving twins matching names (like Tim&Tom) can be a disservice to them. All identical twins I know have very different personalities and struggled (some still do) with their twin status. Not necessarily because they don’t like each other (even though all have their own best friends and one pair isn’t speaking to each other) but because people often don’t see or treat them as individuals. Starting with parents who assume that they will obviously be the very best of friends (and even dress them in matching clothes for years), to teachers who compare, to friends who always get the same gifts for birthdays and so on. 

Just because you are siblings or twins doesn’t mean you have to be close or best friends. It can be nice if it happens but we should all be allowed and encouraged to seek deep relationships outside our families.

Oh yeah, I have Identical twin cousins and they have HATED each other since about 13 years old, they are 45 now. They hate each other so much that they go out of their way to make sure they look nothing alike. one has a buzzed on the sides flat top hair style and is tattooed pretty much from neck to toes, the other has waist length bleach blonde hair. No one in the family remembers why these two are constantly at each others throats, and we honestly don't care anymore, they are both little bitches and we're all sick of their shit. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 3

I have a daughter who grew up with a candy bar nickname. ? She  started off being Kathryn Grace (family names), and we were going to call her Katie Grace for short. Then her older sisters kept calling her Kit Kat (the oldest had the American Girl doll named Kit, think that's where it came from). Well for some reason a lot of our friends and family picked that up ALONG with Katie Grace. So she was affectionately  called Kit Kat Katie Grace. :confusion-shrug: I usually just called her Katie or Katie Grace. As she got older, she started going by Kathryn at school, probably in an attempt to be taken seriously despite being the baby, and now only her family calls her Katie. She thankfully dropped the candy bar as she got older. 

• Upvote 7

I didn't want my kids to go by nicknames, but my daughter wound up going by one, Gigi. It came from her when we would ask her what her name was it came out sounding like Gigi, and it stuck. It fit her cute outgoing personality as a toddler, preschooler. and followed her through to graduation. I went to pick her up at friends house, this friend she made in college, in the course of talking and I made reference to Gigi and her friend asked "who's Gigi?"  My daughter told her the name. She's going to university and hopefully will go to dental school, so she's going by her given name, which I think lovely, and she hates, but is starting to embrace. 

• Upvote 4

My mom was ADAMANT my brother Patrick be called Patrick and nothing else. Instead his nickname became “Tricky” “Tricky-loo” “Trick” to family members, Paddy to his friends, and Pat to our youngest sibling only. 

I understand some people love beautiful long names but you can’t control them forever! 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

Nicknames can never be trusted to go where you want them to anyway. These days you can pretty much pick how long someone has known me based on which nickname they use. Smee = 20s, actual name = 25+, name plus maiden initial = before 12 (my best friend through primary school has the same name), so anyone who is still calling me Monkey or Elmo must be from high school.

We had a “preferred nickname” for my son, but it’s become something pretty much only used by family because he prefers to go by his full (3-syllable) name and that’s what he introduces himself to friends and teachers as. People who have known him since he was a baby might still use it, but preschool and beyond, it was full name only and we moved 5hrs away when he was six so new church people, neighbours, playgroup etc.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

My mom was ADAMANT my brother Patrick be called Patrick and nothing else. Instead his nickname became “Tricky” “Tricky-loo” “Trick” to family members, Paddy to his friends, and Pat to our youngest sibling only. 

I understand some people love beautiful long names but you can’t control them forever! 

My nephew Patrick has always been Patch. His older sister couldn't say his name properly as she was little! He's 32 and still everyone knows him as Patch lol

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

My sister has a beautiful 3-syllable name. When she was a baby, my mother and aunt had come up with a nickname based on the first syllable. It was pretty ugly, to be honest. Then we moved to the US and someone there came up with a new nickname, based on the last syllable of her name. It's an English name and apparently was rather popular in the 1880s

This nickname stuck. We were going to stop using it when she started school, we were going to stop using it when she started high school, then we stopped making plans when to stop using it as it was clearly not happening.

My sister is now 30. Any friends she made after high school use her full name, as that is how she started introducing herself to strangers. Family and old friends use the nickname.

My name does not lend itself to nicknames. The most anyone could ever do with my name was to add a diminutive suffix (e.g. -chen in German, -cita in Spanish). It might be a good thing but always made me a little sad.

• Upvote 4

My family is big on nicknames and they last forever, as in as a grown ass woman I have aunts and uncles of whom I'm not certain of their real names. My youngest doesnt have a name than lends itself to nicknames of any kind but that was of course no hurdle. Her brother couldnt say her name and started calling her Pepper which of course (Spanish speaking family) quickly became Peppita, Payita, or better yet peppita payita lolita mi hijta. That poor child will never be called by her real name...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

My name does not lend itself to nicknames. The most anyone could ever do with my name was to add a diminutive suffix (e.g. -chen in German, -cita in Spanish). It might be a good thing but always made me a little sad.

My name is already a diminutive. But it is so well known as a name here that I never bothered to change it when I became an adult.

A lot of people use a nickname for me though, it is the nickname my father started and since most of my family used it then it started to move to my close friends. Now even some people at work use it after they learned about it. The only thing though is that the nickname is clearly a men's name. ?

• Upvote 4

My cousin is still known as Matthew to our entire family. When he was little and somebody called him Matt, he would correct them and say, "No, my name is Matthew!" I think when he entered high school is when his friends began calling him Matt. However, I don't think anybody in our family would ever call him Matt (he's about 17 now).

• Upvote 4

Hi, twin here :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave: My mother, in her infinite wisdom, named my sister and I very similar names starting with the same letter, with very similar nicknames - think something along the lines of Jedidiah and Jeremiah, with nicknames Jed and Jer. I honestly don't know what she was thinking. I get called by her nickname by people who don't even know her, simply because her nickname is very similar to mine! We are similar, but different - we like to say that we're both the same D&D class, but we put all of our points into different skill trees. Ah well, I've gotten used to it, and I'm not offended if people mix us up.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

@CarrotCake I really need to know your name now :D

My nickname is Hannes. If you are Dutch you might be able to guess my real name ? 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My cousin is still known as Matthew to our entire family. When he was little and somebody called him Matt, he would correct them and say, "No, my name is Matthew!" I think when he entered high school is when his friends began calling him Matt. However, I don't think anybody in our family would ever call him Matt (he's about 17 now).

My brother did the exact same thing - he has a super common first name with an even more common nickname, but as a kid always insisted on being called by the full name and never the nickname. Think Matthew-Matt or Michael-Mike. He would get upset if anyone used the nickname. At some point he must have given up, because pretty much everyone who met him after graduating high school (including his partner) exclusively calls him by the nickname.

My immediate family never, ever uses the nickname and I still sometimes don't realize who someone is talking about when they use it!

• Upvote 3

As a triplet I'm glad my parents gave me and my sisters different names - they deliberately avoided any matchy-matchiness so that we could be seen as individuals (they also avoided dressing us alike or giving us the same haircut). Our first names all have four letters, but they don't sound at all alike.

• Upvote 11

4 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

As a triplet I'm glad my parents gave me and my sisters different names - they deliberately avoided any matchy-matchiness so that we could be seen as individuals (they also avoided dressing us alike or giving us the same haircut). Our first names all have four letters, but they don't sound at all alike.

Sounds like your parents did the right thing. I once saw an episode of the game show Card Sharks. On one of the episodes (from I think 1980) a contestant was a triplet (2 identical with a fraternal all girls) they all had “B” names.  On an episode of Say Yes to the Dress one of the brides was a triplet (also 2 identical with a fraternal) their names didn’t watch at all. 

• Upvote 3

My daughter has several nicknames, but the two we use most are the actual nickname for her name (like “Charlie” for “Charlotte”) and a food that rhymes with her actual first name. If our next is a boy he’ll have a nickname that’s just the first part of his first name. We’ve also decided to pair that nickname with a type of food because it’s adorable and is an actual food in its own right. If it’s a girl I’m not sure because I can’t think of any nicknames off the top of my head. She’d probably get one based off her personality - like Peanut if she’s born tiny or Red if she’s constantly threatening to shove her foot up someone’s ass or Banshee if she screams a lot.

My name doesn’t lend itself to nicknames, but that didn’t stop my sister. She was 21 months when I was born and couldn’t say my name, so she just went with doubling up on the first syllable - like calling someone “Han-Han” for “Hannah.” My Sister has a nickname that was based off her first syllable too - like “Ro-Ro” for “Rosie.” Our younger brother had a nickname, but we haven’t used it since he started to transition - now he’s known as “Daniel Tom” (his new first name and a short version of his new middle name.)

(Names changed.)

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Jana814 said:

Sounds like your parents did the right thing. I once saw an episode of the game show Card Sharks. On one of the episodes (from I think 1980) a contestant was a triplet (2 identical with a fraternal all girls) they all had “B” names.  On an episode of Say Yes to the Dress one of the brides was a triplet (also 2 identical with a fraternal) their names didn’t watch at all. 

Funny you say that because we're also 2 identical, 1 fraternal (I'm the fraternal one, though I still look enough like my sisters to be mistaken for them by people who don't know us very well)! Gosh, I don't envy the 'B' triplets having to share an initial. Thanks, yes I think our parents did the right thing too. 

• Upvote 4

• Georgiana locked this topic