IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

I know a Rosella, is it pronounced similarly or a “Ross” sound rather than “rose” sound? I also went to school with identical twins called Roseanne and Roselle. They were the worst twin names I had come across until Jebediah and Jedidiah.

• Upvote 3

On 4/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, NotQuiteMotY said:

That boggles me. I didn't have my son till I was thirty. I'm actually young by my family's standards: my mom and maternal grandmother were both considered "elderly primigravida".

Seriously, my grandmother would be over 100 if she were alive. I can't imagine how many generations she'd have seen if my family had a history of first babies that young.

Same. Had my son at 30 and my daughter at 32. My mother's parents were older when they had kids as well. My mom is the youngest of 5 and my Grandmother was 38 when she was born, my gramps was 48. If they were still alive they would be 100 and 110 this year and I'm 36.  My dad's parents were older for the time as well. My grandmother was 26 and grandfather was 30 when he was born.

• Upvote 3

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, libgirl2 said:

My maternal grandmother was Agrippina (she was Dominican)! My paternal grandmother Juliana (German). If I would have had a daughter I was thinking Juliana.... no way Agrippina! I ended up with a son I named Conor. Yes one n to make things difficult for the rest of his life. The paternal names were kind of dull.... John, Pedro and my ex's name is Bruno after his dad. That was one tradition that I was going to stop! 

My mother's first name is  Rosula. Has anyone ever met a Rosula? I think she is probably the only person in the world with her name. 

I love the name Juliana! Its a great name. 

• I Agree 4

18 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

Same. Had my son at 30 and my daughter at 32. My mother's parents were older when they had kids as well. My mom is the youngest of 5 and my Grandmother was 38 when she was born, my gramps was 48. If they were still alive they would be 100 and 110 this year and I'm 36.  My dad's parents were older for the time as well. My grandmother was 26 and grandfather was 30 when he was born.

I was 30 and 32 when my kids were born as well! I think it was good timing for me age wise. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/26/2019 at 6:30 AM, Smee said:

I know a Rosella, is it pronounced similarly or a “Ross” sound rather than “rose” sound? I also went to school with identical twins called Roseanne and Roselle. They were the worst twin names I had come across until Jebediah and Jedidiah.

My sister went to school with Roxanne and Roxanna, and with Jennie and Jeannie

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

My sister went to school with Roxanne and Roxanna, and with Jennie and Jeannie

Where my friend works they had twins named Jessica & Jessika. 

• Sad 1
  • WTF 18

5 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

?‍♀️

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Christ almighty. And I thought the Amy and Jamie twins I went to school with were bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

Way to confuse the poor children and everyone around them. 

Twins run in my family and I always said that if I have twins and they were the same sex, then I'd try to make sure they would be able to express their individuality and would mostly dress them in different outfits. Giving twins the same name, just with a different spelling isn't doing anything to help them be individuals.

• I Agree 12

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

Christ almighty. And I thought the Amy and Jamie twins I went to school with were bad.

Their was a set of identical twins a year ahead of me in school named Lori & Teri. When they were younger (kindergarten & first grade) only 1 kid was able to tell them apart.  

• Upvote 1

I'm sure it's been brought up before in similar drift, but I always thought Leah Messer from 16 and Pregnant then Teen Mom chose poorly for her twins: Aleeah and Aliannah. They are not only similar to each other, but also to their mom's name. They seem to go by Gracie (middle name) and Ali now. Little sister Adalynn goes by Addie. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Twin friends named Lori and Lorraine. One has a nickname that is not common or near her name in spelling or sound, so it works. But, goodness!

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Smee said:

In the Elsie J Oxenham books, Rosamund has two sets of twins:  Rosabel and Rosalin, and Rosanna and Rosilda.  That's not the oddest thing about Rosamund - she starts off being written as an ordinary schoolgirl, then at some stage morphs into the daughter of an Earl, who become the surrogate mother of her baby brother, the new earl, but then *another* Earl is discovered, who's disabled, but through Rosamund's love, become miraculously healed, and the father to a quiver of children, all the girls with Rose-related names....  But by this time *every* baby girl born in Oxenham's books (and there are a *lot*)* has some Rose-related name...

(* There's this weird thing about English writers for girls in the 50s, that they get obsessed with multiple births as a sign that a female character is a good person - the extreme example is Eleanor Brent-Dyer, with Joey Maynard having triplets, as well as twins... It's very quiverfull, even though they wouldn't recognise it as such - and the writers would stop at (eg) 11 kids, inc multiple multiple births, as that was pushing the limits of credibility!)

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 5

35 minutes ago, Lurky said:

In the Elsie J Oxenham books, Rosamund has two sets of twins:  Rosabel and Rosalin, and Rosanna and Rosilda.  That's not the oddest thing about Rosamund - she starts off being written as an ordinary schoolgirl, then at some stage morphs into the daughter of an Earl, who become the surrogate mother of her baby brother, the new earl, but then *another* Earl is discovered, who's disabled, but through Rosamund's love, become miraculously healed, and the father to a quiver of children, all the girls with Rose-related names....  But by this time *every* baby girl born in Oxenham's books (and there are a *lot*)* has some Rose-related name...

(* There's this weird thing about English writers for girls in the 50s, that they get obsessed with multiple births as a sign that a female character is a good person - the extreme example is Eleanor Brent-Dyer, with Joey Maynard having triplets, as well as twins... It's very quiverfull, even though they wouldn't recognise it as such - and the writers would stop at (eg) 11 kids, inc multiple multiple births, as that was pushing the limits of credibility!)

Yikes! I still have "Schoolgirl Jen at the Abbey". Must take another look at it. Thanks for the memory

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, MathQueen said:

Twin friends named Lori and Lorraine. One has a nickname that is not common or near her name in spelling or sound, so it works. But, goodness!

I don’t get why someone would do that to twins. I have a client who’s an identical twin. His name is Mark his brother’s name is Eric. I was a little surprised that their names were so different. He told me his mother was in so much shock that she had twins it took her a few days to name them, but was determined not to give them similar names. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I know a few pairs of identical twins WITHOUT matchy names, thankfully (Stephen and Phillip, Joshua and Lachlan, Jayne and Sophia, Annabel and Jasmine, Gaye and Kimberly). But “the Rosies” as they were called through school stick in my mind as bad naming. Their surname started with Ro too ?‍♀️

I do feel particularly bad for Jed and Jer Duggar, because they also have the same middle name

• Upvote 4

On 4/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, twoandthrough said:

Okay, I have to break. One of my two daughters is Josephine, and I call her Feenie sometimes! Or Jo, Joey, Josie. Poor girl has too many nicknames! ?

Ooh, I had guessed Josephine as one of the names you were describing! My other guess is Winnifred...

1 hour ago, Smee said:

I do feel particularly bad for Jed and Jer Duggar, because they also have the same middle name

Honestly, it's a blessing they're not called Jed Bob and Jer Bob.

Edited by Dominionatrix
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 20

I can understand wanting to give somehow matching names to twins as a way of expressing that they will naturally always be closer (for better, for worse) than other siblings, but giving essentially the same or rhyming names seems taking it a little far. I have no idea what I'd do if I had twins, to be honest... I'd probably try to find names that very subtly match or have a "theme" (flower names, biblical names, etc.) or whose connection is only clear to my husband and me.

The closest I have to outrageously named children is siblings with similar names among family and friends (Georges and Georgette, Christian and Christine), an aunt who did a letter theme ("N"), and the family of a teacher of mine where the father was called Petrus and the two children Petra and Peter.

• Upvote 6

My sons godmother has identical twin girls, they are the same age and good friends of my eldest. They are named Hazel and Amelia, identical in features and opposites in everything else!

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

My sons godmother has identical twin girls, they are the same age and good friends of my eldest. They are named Hazel and Amelia, identical in features and opposites in everything else!

I have a friend that had 3 girls in a little less than 3 years and 2 of the sisters are Hazel and Amelia! I think they go nicely with each other without "matching". I have another friend that will be having 3 kids in 16ish months a boy, followed by twin girls. All three names are kin of matching. I just think it is weird. 

But who am I to judge. We ended up with an unintentional theme (C, B, A) and people ask us all the time if we did it on purpose. We didn't realize it until after we had chosen possible names for our youngest. All 3 girls names and the back up boy name happened to be A names. We couldn't agree on any other names so we just stuck with what we had. 

• Upvote 4

• Georgiana locked this topic