• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

JRod 93: Collecting "likes" by turning off the comments

Waffle Time
BlackberryGirl

@Loveday the difference in waiting til age 70 for BBB is HUGE. Like if he had retired and taken Social Security at 65 he would get about $1300 less a month than if he waited. Also, because he waited he can continue to earn and not be penalized, so if he substitute teaches it wont detract from our retirement.

i had to stop teaching and take disability in 2002. Because I hadn’t been teaching full time,  I was a sub, my benefit is paltry. But being married 45 years means my benefit is now based on his and I will get a slight bump. 

The website is helpful, but talking to a human was very stress relieving.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

HarryPotterFan
2 hours ago, Lisafer said:

@HarryPotterFan I didn't know whether to laugh or "wtf" react at that story. Holy crap!

I’d say I lost all respect for this woman when she told people this, but I didn’t have any respect for her to begin with.

Tired
Coconut Flan
49 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

@Loveday the difference in waiting til age 70 for BBB is HUGE. Like if he had retired and taken Social Security at 65 he would get about $1300 less a month than if he waited. Also, because he waited he can continue to earn and not be penalized, so if he substitute teaches it wont detract from our retirement.

The standard advice is to calculate what age you'll be when you would break even.  That is how long to recoup the loss from taking the benefit earlier.  If you can invest it, you should also include the accrued interest.  Sometimes that helps clarify the decision.  Before increasing the retirement age, it was usually to the person's benefit to take the earlier benefits.  As always the answer is dependent on each person, whether they plan to keep working, and if they will truly invest most of the money. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Waffle Time
Lisafer
2 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

I’m soooo damn happy. I am completely disabled. I haven’t been able to teach for almost 17 years.

i know this has zero to do with the Rods, but this is how it works if you don’t grift. 

I seem to remember you said you were deaf or hard of hearing? Is that right? I have a relative who has been a music teacher for many years, while experiencing steadily increasing hearing loss. I honestly don't know if she'll be able to make it to retirement age in her current position, but I hope she can. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9

QuiverFullofBooks
9 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

Jill posted on Facebook that she’s getting ready to fly to Washington to see Tim since they met their 800 mile running goal.

Seriously?! What a dumbass reason. I’d be giving some side-eye to that even if it was someone with a good income and no child care responsibilities. 

PianoGal
Posted (edited)

Jill's "poor me" Facebook post really made me mad. She posted two selfies, and she's pouting in both. So infantile. She calls the storm that caused their flight to be cancelled a "severe snowstorm/blizzard." Pick a word, Jill. They don't mean the same thing. 

Apparently, they were packed, IN the car, and driving down the driveway when David saw the text on his phone. Was David driving?! 

I guess what really triggers me, is that she's whining because she can't go see her kid, while the unfortunate folks out west are dealing with their second major snow event in less than a month. This isn't 6 inconvenient inches of snow, Jill. People are bracing for FEET of snow, when they still haven't recovered from the flooding and devastation the last storm brought! 

I'm as tired of winter as the next guy, but I'm very thankful that my area is on the edge of the storm, and that we will probably only get around 10 inches.  

I understand the disappointment. We all do. But whining about it on Facebook so you can get sympathy comments is just childish. Did I mention she posted two pouting selfies? LOL. Because she did. In case you were wondering how bummed she is feeling. 

One commenter told her she still looks beautiful, even with a pout, and that Tim probably is pouting too. 

Edited by PianoGal
Edited to add point

SilverBeach
2 hours ago, BlackberryGirl said:

the difference in waiting til age 70 for BBB is HUGE.

Yeah, but you get less for a longer time if you claim benefits sooner, assuming you live to be the same age no matter when you claim. There is a break-even point to account for this. If you anticipate longevity, and don't need the money, sure, wait. Otherwise, take it as soon as you can, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. SS loves those who gamble on waiting and lose.

Lurky
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

She also posted several pictures of Kaylee playing the piano with Janessa sitting in a high chair next to her. Apparently it would be inconvenient for Jill to spend time with her infant daughter while Kaylee practices the skill that helps feed their family. 

This is the thing.  Music isn't something the Rod children do for fun, or even for discipline (I had to suffer through years of music lessons because it was character building, or something) but because these children, from the moment they can stand still on a stage, have to earn their living this way.  They know from when they are so young that if they don't perform to a good enough standard, they might not have enough money to eat, and I *LOATHE* that pressure being put on kids, but especially when the parents have actively chosen to make their kids work, rather than get proper jobs themselves.

I wonder if it will be hard for Kaylee being apart from Janessa, as she's practically her daughter?  Renee seems to be Jill's favourite child for road trips, as she had the extra trips to the Pearls (because how on earth were Jill and David expected to manage Sophia?) but I don't think I've ever seen Jill take Philip, Samuel or Gabriel on a trip in the same way.  I'm guessing that's because babysitting is girls' work, but it seems unusual in Fundyland to assume sons always stay at home and daughters always travel.

4 hours ago, daisyjane1234 said:

For all that I dislike about Jill - and there's a lot - her kids and girls in particular, actually have opportunities.  Limited and controlled opportunities, but still.  Unlike the Maxwells, the Rod kids have the chance to study outside of the Rod home and beyond whatever it is that Jill might "teach". 

I really hope so, but it's too early to tell.  We've only seen one child get opportunities to actually have education, and Timothy is so very much a favoured child, that I don't think we can extrapolate that even his brothers will have the same opportunities.  I think it's telling that Nurie, who's the other favoured older child, has only been allowed to go to a bible study group, in a very controlled environment of a specific church.  It's not even like she's being allowed to go to community college - she's just as trammeled.  I hope it's that Nurie doesn't want to do more education, and that Kaylee and her sisters will have choice - maybe their trip to visit Nurie's friend at bible college was an indication they'll change?

It could be that in 10 years time, Jill's daughters are still living at home with Jill talking about the kind of men they want to marry, but holding such impossible standards, and not letting them meet anyone etc etc.  OR we could see Renee, Tessie and Hannah all out in the world, as it turns out Nurie and Kaylee didn't particularly want more education.   I always feel like the Rod v Maxhell comparisons, or Rod v Anderson etc etc are a bit like a good round of marry, f***, kill, in that both the options are awful, and it's more of a "least worst" than who's objectively better!

Edited by Lurky

Waffle Time
BlackberryGirl

We both come from insanely long lived families, so genetics are on our side. His mom is 89, looks 70, has never spent a day in the hospital, other than childbirth. All 4 of his grandparents lived to 100+. My family tends to 90+. 

For us it was well worth it to wait. 

Yes, I am quite deaf, congenitally. The disability is heart failure. 

DarkAnts

Why is Jill making it sound like will never see Timothy again? Most if not all airlines reschedule passengers when this happens. She may have to delay the trip, but it is not the end of the world. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

MarblesMom

Tim just posted on FB via his parents' account that he has a motorized bicycle for sale.  He just "finished making it" and the money will go towards college.  

Why can this young man not have his own FB?

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 15
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

Meh
Dandruff
7 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Tim just posted on FB via his parents' account that he has a motorized bicycle for sale.  He just "finished making it" and the money will go towards college.  

The bicycle sounds like a potentially ridiculous way to try to make money.  Doesn't he already have a job?

If he had his own FB who knows what ads he might be shown or what privacy settings he might choose.  Say-un doesn't just hide in green bean cans.

onekidanddone
15 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

He is so brainwashed he doesn’t know he can just go ahead and create one 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

Aggravated
Okie_Bokie
7 hours ago, Ms. Squishels said:

She said it was her, Renee and Janessa that were going.

Really, Jill?  Use that money for any of a zillion better purposes.  For example:

--help Timothy with his school and living expenses

--feed your children enough food and also nutritious food

--buy your children shoes and clothing that fit and are from this century

--pay for an online actual education for your kids (e.g., http://wvde.state.wv.us/vschool/ ) if you and Deadbeat David are too busy LAZY to teach your own children.

--buy toys and books and arts & crafts supplies for the kids

OMG - I sincerely hope that Timothy didn't buy the tickets!

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

Here's an updated makeup tutorial. 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 19

HarryPotterFan
39 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Now I really want him to have a motorcycle. Imagine Timbits rolling up to a nice bible college girl’s house on his hog.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 14
  • Love 5

Happy
PumaLover
57 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Here's an updated makeup tutorial. 

OK, is it wrong that I still like the frosted eyeshadow look? (but blended??) I just bought some new makeup the other day after not wearing any for the last year or two (depression, y'all!!). I even bought some bright purple lipstick. I'm Jill's age and in the past few months have realized IDGAF anymore, so I'll rock the bright makeup colors. 

I'm also an artist and have bright red hair and do tie dye so I figure I can get away with it, right? (Just kidding, I don't care.)

Side note, I am very jealous that Jill can afford to take two flights within a year across the country. My dad moved from California to Alabama and for the three of us to fly out for a visit it's close to $2,000. But we work for our money instead of grifting so I guess that's what we're doing wrong.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 17

Walking Cat Bed

It is pretty gross in Colorado today (after multiple days in the 70s, we have a snowstorm). Jilly being stranded at DIA for hours would not make it more pleasant. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Meh
Dandruff
23 minutes ago, PumaLover said:

Side note, I am very jealous that Jill can afford to take two flights within a year across the country.

Wouldn't surprise me if they got some loving, generous, sisters and brothers in the Lord suckers to donate their miles.

SuperNova
1 hour ago, Okie_Bokie said:

Really, Jill?  Use that money for any of a zillion better purposes.  For example:

--help Timothy with his school and living expenses

--feed your children enough food and also nutritious food

--buy your children shoes and clothing that fit and are from this century

--pay for an online actual education for your kids (e.g., http://wvde.state.wv.us/vschool/ ) if you and Deadbeat David are too busy LAZY to teach your own children.

--buy toys and books and arts & crafts supplies for the kids

OMG - I sincerely hope that Timothy didn't buy the tickets!

Has Jill considered that maybe Jesus, not Say-un, put this storm in her path? Maybe it's his way of saying keep your ass at home and send the money to Tim. Actually, any one of the items on your list would be better than yet another mini vacay for Jill.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

onekidanddone
7 minutes ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

It is pretty gross in Colorado today (after multiple days in the 70s, we have a snowstorm). Jilly being stranded at DIA for hours would not make it more pleasant. 

Where in Colorado are you? My stepmom in law lives out Boulder way. 

I also hear there is a wildfire up near Estes Park?

Waffle Time
Beermeet
2 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

Why is Jill making it sound like will never see Timothy again? Most if not all airlines reschedule passengers when this happens. She may have to delay the trip, but it is not the end of the world. 

Exactly my thoughts.  Flights get cancelled all the time. For working folks, this can be a major problem.  Jill and Co. have nothing but time. No biggie.  It sucks but they will just have to hold off. Where do these people get all this money?!  Starving super thin kids but, all the treats and fun for Jill.  

Hey Jill!  Why not pray for the residents having to deal with this storm?  Selfish deranged bitch. It's an inconvenience.  The airline will make it up as soon as possible.  Some people on that flight could be missing out on an important event.  Or, just trying to get home.  

Walking Cat Bed
16 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Where in Colorado are you? My stepmom in law lives out Boulder way. 

I also hear there is a wildfire up near Estes Park?

Denver. Hoping to get closer to the foothills (near Golden) when my lease is up -- I'm not really a nightlife person, and there's still transit/Lyft on a regular basis closer to the mountains (and my job is out that way). 

Meh
Dandruff
17 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Has Jill considered that maybe Jesus, not Say-un, put this storm in her path? Maybe it's his way of saying keep your ass at home and send the money to Tim. Actually, any one of the items on your list would be better than yet another mini vacay for Jill.

Nah, Jill not getting her way has to be Say-un.  Her good buddy Jesus (creator of Plexus) would never cause her to be so inconvenienced.

I feel bad for the kids who were left at home.  They probably thought they'd be getting some rest and relaxation.  Instead, I imagine they had to go into full pacification mode.

Spent
Lillymuffin
5 hours ago, PianoGal said:

Jill's "poor me" Facebook post really made me mad. She posted two selfies, and she's pouting in both. So infantile. She calls the storm that caused their flight to be cancelled a "severe snowstorm/blizzard." Pick a word, Jill. They don't mean the same thing. 

I understand the disappointment. We all do. But whining about it on Facebook so you can get sympathy comments is just childish. Did I mention she posted two pouting selfies? LOL. Because she did. In case you were wondering how bummed she is feeling. 

One commenter told her she still looks beautiful, even with a pout, and that Tim probably is pouting too. 

Well, of course it was a SEVERE snowstorm/blizzard that thwarted Jill’s plans. It’s go big or go home (literally, today) for our Jillybean. 

I have to disagree with her commenter who told her she still looks good with a “poochy” mouth. That is not a good look for her. 

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

The bicycle sounds like a potentially ridiculous way to try to make money.  Doesn't he already have a job?

If he had his own FB who knows what ads he might be shown or what privacy settings he might choose.  Say-un doesn't just hide in green bean cans.

I’m hoping that it might somehow have been a project for one of his classes. Maybe some kind of basic mechanics/engineering? Still odd, but at least it would explain why he made it.