IGNORED

Maxwell 30: Buying a Vest Debt Free

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Bajovane said:

Oh, I  most certainly do believe Steve has definitely prevented the daughters from ever getting an opportunity to meet a potential spouse.   Give up total control?  No siree.  

I think back to John and Chelsie's (whatever her name) wedding where Anna and Mary were sitting with the littles during the "reception" while everyone else mingled.   This could have been a good opportunity for them to meet someone,  but no, they were babysitting.   Pathetic!

I honestly think the adult girls are so stunted* that they actively avoid conversing with adult male peers. It's so much easier to look busy with the children (and in such, try to pretend that you still are one) than to have to face a potential suitor. Just my two cents. 
*All Steve's fault, of course.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

5 minutes ago, NeckPunch said:

I honestly think the adult girls are so stunted* that they actively avoid conversing with adult male peers. It's so much easier to look busy with the children (and in such, try to pretend that you still are one) than to have to face a potential suitor. Just my two cents. 
*All Steve's fault, of course.

I do this with housecats at get togethers where I don’t know many people. 

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 7

At first I thought it was weird they took the kids three at a time for hopscotch. Then I remembered everything is regimented in their world and three is probably seen as a good size for a group. They would have no concept of being in elementary school and playing hopscotch or double Dutch with a group of kids. They would not know it was normal to have 7 or 8 kids being ok with waiting their turn. They would probably be horrified at the idea that during recess/lunch the kids basically run around the playground playing with anyone they want and deciding on their own if they want to play hopscotch, double Dutch, ball, etc. The independence of elementary school kids on the playground would probably freak the Maxwells out. 

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

On 4/25/2019 at 10:15 AM, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Grandma's Picnic

1. I'll give them a pass for using the school facilities out-of-hours. They do pay property taxes and they weren't doing a drug deal. In my neck of the woods that counts for something.

In our school district, people are not allowed to use the school play grounds. They are only for use by the schools during school hours, and by the aftercare programs.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 4

39 minutes ago, Rosie said:

In our school district, people are not allowed to use the school play grounds. They are only for use by the schools during school hours, and by the aftercare programs.

Same with the schools around me. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

The fan woman who thanked the Maxwells for the picnic ideas confirmed what I suspected about Maxfans: They’re afraid to try anything that hadn’t been vetted and proven okay by leaders, like Terifying & Stevovah. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

The fan woman who thanked the Maxwells for the picnic ideas confirmed what I suspected about Maxfans: They’re afraid to try anything that hadn’t been vetted and proven okay by leaders, like Terifying & Stevovah. 

Truth. Maxhumpers are not known for being adventurous, plus you want to tread carefully when interacting with children in a frivolous manner, lest someone accidentally have f*n.  

Although, it's entirely possible that the quote originally said something quite different, and Steve "gently edited" it to fit the Maxbrand.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Interesting that some school districts have closed playgrounds. I have never even considered that before. We have lived in 7 districts in 4 states and all of the playgrounds and  basketball courts, etc... were open to the public when school is not in session. In Minnesota, the fields were flooded in the winter and boards put up so people could ice skate/play hockey.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

The public school playgrounds in the town in which I used to live were open the public, within reason. I think they "closed" at a certain time, but for the most part were available for all to use. I don't know about the playgrounds where I currently live, but it seems a shame to me that families can't utilize public school playground equipment. However, I can understand there are drawbacks to letting the public use them, too. 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, socalrules said:

At first I thought it was weird they took the kids three at a time for hopscotch. Then I remembered everything is regimented in their world and three is probably seen as a good size for a group. They would have no concept of being in elementary school and playing hopscotch or double Dutch with a group of kids. They would not know it was normal to have 7 or 8 kids being ok with waiting their turn. They would probably be horrified at the idea that during recess/lunch the kids basically run around the playground playing with anyone they want and deciding on their own if they want to play hopscotch, double Dutch, ball, etc. The independence of elementary school kids on the playground would probably freak the Maxwells out. 

This is why my heart breaks for Abby. This kind of independent play and fluid social interaction is so developmentally important for children, and she's already aging out of that part of life without ever experiencing it. Once those years are gone, you never get them back.

Steve, you suck.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, Rosie said:

I'm not surprised by policies like these. After Sandy Hook I'd imagine a lot more elementary schools are much more locked down and probably get very touchy about unknown/unauthorized people on the grounds. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

52 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm not surprised by policies like these. After Sandy Hook I'd imagine a lot more elementary schools are much more locked down and probably get very touchy about unknown/unauthorized people on the grounds. 

On days school is in session, during school hours, my kids' school playground is pretty locked down. Security cameras and so on. After school, on weekends, and during summer break, it's open to the neighborhood to use. There's a walking path, bags for dog owners to pick up their dog's droppings, and even porta potties for the Little League teams, etc. to use. I think they're trying to balance the school's need for safety with a desire to encourage the community to be more active and to socialize with each other more. I assume each school district has to decide what works best in their particular  community. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
thought of a better word
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

I also wonder how the Maxwells reconcile "public school is evil and corrupting" with "but their playgrounds that they let us use for free sure are nice". 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

They get to use the playground for free, but they do pay taxes like everyone else, I hope. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, Rosie said:

I’m glad that’s not a rule for the elementary school by us. We are only about 2.5 blocks from my son’s school and we are often walking over to play. We’ve been doing this for years. The playground is a hot spot for the whole neighborhood. Our back yard isn’t very big so it’s great having it so close. The public park playground is much farther. We would probably have to drive. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

You make a good point and it has me thinking...maybe Sarah is just so desperate for blog content that she has to invent ideas like an annual picnic? Could this also be the Maxwell way of trying to show that scheduling works even after your homeschooling children are grown and you are now a grandparent? Hmm.

Just a thought: this one is called the annual spring picnic. Does Teri exert herself annually in other seasons?? It doesn’t seem like a whole year since we heard about another grandma’s annual picnic. But I’m not emotionally equipped to plow thru the drear of the Maxblog.

• Upvote 4

On 4/26/2019 at 3:53 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

Also, so what if Teri can only take an hour with her grandchildren?

Sad for her and the grandchildren.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Sad for her and the grandchildren.

I see your point, but I also feel that not everyone is suited to spend a long amount of time with a lot of small children--and that's okay. Honestly, I think that if Teri had been born in a different generation and cultural atmosphere, she may have chosen to be child free. At least she's trying to be an involved grandmother, even though it's not enough for some people. 

• Upvote 10

10 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I see your point, but I also feel that not everyone is suited to spend a long amount of time with a lot of small children--and that's okay. Honestly, I think that if Teri had been born in a different generation and cultural atmosphere, she may have chosen to be child free. At least she's trying to be an involved grandmother, even though it's not enough for some people. 

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just think it is sad that Teri felt forced to have children she didn't want and as a result has many grandchildren she doesn't really want either, and now she feels compelled to have performative outings for them. It is perfectly OK not to want children or grandchildren. I am not suited to spend a long amount of time with many or any small children, nothing wrong with that either.  Not judging her at all. I never had a grandmother, they were both dead long before I was born, so I imagine having some kind of grandma is better than having none at all. I do think it is sad to have a grandmother who doesn't enjoy spending much time with you, for whatever reason.

Full disclosure-I am not yet a grandma but I would eat that shit up. I didn't really like children but I enjoyed the heck out of mine and would feel the same about my grands.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

On days school is in session, during school hours, my kids' school playground is pretty locked down. Security cameras and so on. After school, on weekends, and during summer break, it's open to the neighborhood to use. 

Pretty much everything that is publicly owned (tracks, fields, playgrounds, pools, tennis courts) is available to use by the public in my community. Obviously things like the pool have hours, and they reserve the right to kick you off the football field if a team of football players comes by, but as far as I know, its fine to use these publicly owned and taxpayer funded properties. It was kind of a shock to me, coming from somewhere else, where the high school pools and tracks were only for that high school. 

18 hours ago, socalrules said:

At first I thought it was weird they took the kids three at a time for hopscotch. 

I think it's weird that the kids only play once a year and "remembered" from last time. Do they not play at their own houses? Do they not own sidewalk chalk? Hopscotch might be old fashioned but it's a game that kids can play quickly and with minimal equipment. 

• Upvote 4

Even though the Maxwells pay taxes I'm not gonna give them a pass on using the school playground since they have bashed public and private schools.  They could go to a public park but Griselda Teri is afraid the kids might get cooties from heathens that might be there.  For the hopscotch thing there are four adults, take six kids assign one adult to three kids and the other two adults can watch the younger ones on the playground.

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I think if Teri had married someone who cared about her mental health things might have be different for her. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

On 4/25/2019 at 10:26 PM, HoneyBunny said:

Well...maybe. But don’t she and Steve walk something like 4 or 6 miles every morning?  Doesn’t she climb mountains I’m Colorado?  I’m highly suspicious about how serious those back pains are. It sounds a bit like Mr. Bunny. Ride a Harley for three hours? Oh yeah! Ride a boat for 30 minutes to a dive site?  No, his back won’t let him. 

To be honest, for me, the comments about her not being able to handle it had more to do with her mental/emotional health than physical. A woman who has to put 15 minutes on the schedule to read to her grandchildren is not really capable of a couple hours at a playground with multiple children along with feeding them. Especially when she does it all of once a year; it's not like she has learned anything from "last time" since the kids change in a years' time. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Even though the Maxwells pay taxes I'm not gonna give them a pass on using the school playground since they have bashed public and private schools.  They could go to a public park but Griselda Teri is afraid the kids might get cooties from heathens that might be there.  For the hopscotch thing there are four adults, take six kids assign one adult to three kids and the other two adults can watch the younger ones on the playground.

I wonder if they chose the school playground because it would be less likely to have other kids there when school was not in session, as compared to a public park?  They could avoid fraternization and uncovered leggings.  I think that's the reason that they built the Auntie's Park in their backyard.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Just a thought: this one is called the annual spring picnic. Does Teri exert herself annually in other seasons?? It doesn’t seem like a whole year since we heard about another grandma’s annual picnic. But I’m not emotionally equipped to plow thru the drear of the Maxblog.

Here is  last year's

https://blog.titus2.com/2018/03/23/the-second-annual-spring-grandmas-picnic/

Why oh why does a grown up woman  get in a slide  for children?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic