IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 37: Your new thread

samurai_sarah

While I'm sure there is a market for more upscale properties there, it's a very unique property.  It's simply not going to appeal to a lot of people in that demographic.  

I actually think it's pretty cool architecture-wise, but I would never buy it even if I had the money.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

21 hours ago, Bobology said:

Half-baths have a toilet and a sink and usually  (not always) cabinets/cupboards either above the toilet or under the sink. A shower stall but no tub used to be called a 3/4 bath.

I'm wondering what qualifies as a kitchen to them. A friend had a house with an added-on large den, and the den had a small counter/cabinets, a sink and a small refrigerator. She called it a 2nd kitchen but I would not call it that.

So what does a kitchen need in order to rightfully be called a 'kitchen?' Because of the fortress nature of the lower floor in that Duggar flip house I can see having 2 full kitchens, but I'd be surprised if the other 2 kitchens in that house are full-fledged, but they may be, weird things and all.

I would call a kitchen like that a wet bar area.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

On 5/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

I’m working on transcribing oral histories I’ve collected for my dissertation, and the most common words after I, and, and the must be um and ah. This has also caused me to realize why listening/speaking a foreign language is so much more difficult than reading and even writing, because the way people speak in real life (as opposed to books) consists mostly of fragments and run on sentences strung together in a haphazard fashion. Natural speech is extremely ungrammatical, even if you use an accent that is coded as being upper class or educated.

Yep.  

If you really listen to your own speech (much less other people's) it's surprising.  And you realize how hard it can be for non-native speakers to pick up what you're saying.  When I get frustrated with my husband not understanding, I have to remind myself I'm actually saying "Ki (can I) grab the keys" or "K'yoo feedim" instead of "can you feed them", especially if I'm in a rush or irritated myself about something.  So then all he hears clearly is "keys" or "feed" and he gets what I'm talking about, but not the subtleties of what I want to do with the keys, or who needs to be fed or already has been fed.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

@LilMissMetaphor  no kidding.  I just did a video on my phone of my back garden for folks who have been asking how it's growing.  Eek!  I did not realize my voice sounded like that let alone some of my pronunciations.  Sign me up for elocution. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, CarrotCake said:

I am never completely sure what they call full and half bathrooms in the US

We call them full and half bathrooms. Half bathrooms don't have bathtubs or showers.

Edited by SilverBeach

I’m a Midwife in the UK. To register as a Midwife here, you need to complete a University degree, then register with the NMC, and then maintain your registration with Professional development and by working as a Midwife. By that standard, Jill is NOT a Midwife. Not even close. I just wanted to get that out there - it really irks me that she claims to be a Midwife. She’d be arrested if she tried any of that nonsense here. By UK law  “only a Midwife or a Registered Medical Practitioner can attend a woman in childbirth”. Having your church friend or sister impostering as a Midwife is basically illegal and unheard of.

That gets me to my main point. I really worry about these Duggar girls labouring at home, particularly with their history of c/ sections and huge babies.

Jinger - normal birth of a normal size baby in a hospital in Texas? Not worried about her, I think she’s sensible anyway.

Jill - two (emergency) c/sections, after labouring at home for hours and hours? Was Israel breech and no-one noticed til after about 30 hours? A trained professional should’ve picked that up by abdominal palpation and vaginal examination. I know she hasn’t announced any more pregnancies yet, but I’m sure she’ll have more, risking uterine rupture (because of the 2 previous c/sections).

Jessa - two normal births. Two large babies (one nearly ten pounds), and one post-partum haemorrhage requiring a transfusion. Jessa said on a recent online post “Duggar genes grow ‘em big!” Has anyone considered insulin resistance (gestational diabetes)? It’s not necessarily healthy to grow such big babies. She’s at risk of shoulder dystocia and another big bleed.

Joy - a large baby and an emergency c/section? Ditto insulin resistance. Also, increased risk of uterine rupture and shoulder dystocia.

I seriously worry about these Duggar girls labouring at home without proper trained professionals I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, but taking their histories into account, I worry something catastrophic will happen, and they’ll lose a Mom, baby or both.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

...and not a natural smile among them.  I wonder what Mary and Deanna really think of Boobchelle.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

...and not a natural smile among them.  I wonder what Mary and Deanna really think of Boobchelle.

You said it!  There are three sets of gritted teeth in that pic.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I was just going to say that is the creepiest photo I’ve seen in a while. If someone told me that was a photo of a man that held three women hostage I would not doubt it ...

:5624797d4096d_homegrownparanoiaparanoid:

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

We made it through Mother's day without another announcement, or a group photo of all the pregnant moms. Yay!

• Upvote 23

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:02 AM, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

I’m a Midwife in the UK. To register as a Midwife here, you need to complete a University degree, then register with the NMC, and then maintain your registration with Professional development and by working as a Midwife. By that standard, Jill is NOT a Midwife. Not even close. I just wanted to get that out there - it really irks me that she claims to be a Midwife. She’d be arrested if she tried any of that nonsense here. By UK law  “only a Midwife or a Registered Medical Practitioner can attend a woman in childbirth”. Having your church friend or sister impostering as a Midwife is basically illegal and unheard of.

That gets me to my main point. I really worry about these Duggar girls labouring at home, particularly with their history of c/ sections and huge babies.

Jinger - normal birth of a normal size baby in a hospital in Texas? Not worried about her, I think she’s sensible anyway.

Jill - two (emergency) c/sections, after labouring at home for hours and hours? Was Israel breech and no-one noticed til after about 30 hours? A trained professional should’ve picked that up by abdominal palpation and vaginal examination. I know she hasn’t announced any more pregnancies yet, but I’m sure she’ll have more, risking uterine rupture (because of the 2 previous c/sections).

Jessa - two normal births. Two large babies (one nearly ten pounds), and one post-partum haemorrhage requiring a transfusion. Jessa said on a recent online post “Duggar genes grow ‘em big!” Has anyone considered insulin resistance (gestational diabetes)? It’s not necessarily healthy to grow such big babies. She’s at risk of shoulder dystocia and another big bleed.

Joy - a large baby and an emergency c/section? Ditto insulin resistance. Also, increased risk of uterine rupture and shoulder dystocia.

I seriously worry about these Duggar girls labouring at home without proper trained professionals I don’t want to sound all doom and gloom, but taking their histories into account, I worry something catastrophic will happen, and they’ll lose a Mom, baby or both.

Have you ever seen the series Call the Midwife? How accurate is it? For the record, I LOVE the show and am trying to save money to buy the entire series!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Why take a photo for Mother's Day cramped up in a clothes closest/ clothes store? ( I can't decide which it is), there is a price label showing but that could still be in a closet. 

Weird. 

P.S  on further inspection I'm going with cloth store. Still it's really weird! 

Edited by Gobsmacked
Looked again
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

Why take a photo for Mother's Day cramped up in a clothes closest/ clothes store? ( I can't decide which it is), there is a price label showing but that could still be in a closet. 

Weird. 

it's an old photo he's just reusing I believe this was a trip they all took together awhile back. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

56 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Weird. 

P.S  on further inspection I'm going with cloth store. Still it's really weird! 

Based on the signs, the shelving, and what they're selling it looks like the general store section of Cracker Barrel to me. So technically at a restaurant, just not in the restaurant part. 

• Thank You 2

In surprised we haven't heard more Duggar and Duggar adjacents crowing over the new abortion law in Georgia.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

In surprised we haven't heard more Duggar and Duggar adjacents crowing over the new abortion law in Georgia.

which is? for non americans please?

• Thank You 2

I'm also non American (Canadian, eh?), but kept seeing pro choice stuff drifting through my social media feeds. From what I can tell, they've banned abortions from the moment the fetal heartbeat can be detected (around 6 weeks).

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

As someone who’s been anxiously following (and screaming about) the bill’s progress in GA and TN, me too. Anna and Lawson Bates have retweeted one or two news articles, but have devoted much more time to posting about perceived injustices against pro life people. Nothing from Derick or Jeremy.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

Have you ever seen the series Call the Midwife? How accurate is it? For the record, I LOVE the show and am trying to save money to buy the entire series!

SassyPantswithaSideofclass - ‘Call the Midwife’ is a lovely, nostalgic TV drama series. I think it reflects Midwifery in the fifties and sixties a little,  but it's NOTHING like modern day Midwifery.

Most Uk Midwives work in hospitals.

Most babies are delivered by a Midwife (not a doctor). 

Community Midwives are attached to a hospital and GP practice. They visit women in their own homes, run antenatal clinics,  attend & manage home-births, and provide care for women and babies up to 28 days postnatally.

Midwives are autonomous practitioners in their own right: they make their own clinical decisions and they’re the Lead  Professional for ‘low risk’ women.

Midwives work alongside Obstetricians; who only become involved when circumstances deviate from the norm. Obstetricians are the Lead Professional for ‘high risk’ women. ‘High risk’ women are still cared for by Midwives, but with the added input from Obstetricians.

That’s why it really annoys me when the Jill/ Jana claim to be Midwives in their bios. Really?? I guarantee if they came to work ONE shift with me they wouldn’t have a clue what to do.?

Did you say you’re saving to buy the whole box-set? Isn’t it on Netflix???

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

I'm now interested, how do you peepsters pronunciate midwife? I'm used to saying "midwiff" (or more like a mix of th and f).

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I'm also non American (Canadian, eh?), but kept seeing pro choice stuff drifting through my social media feeds. From what I can tell, they've banned abortions from the moment the fetal heartbeat can be detected (around 6 weeks).

The point of the law is to have it challenged in court, giving the Supreme Court an opportunity to overturn Roe v. Wade.

• Sad 3
  • I Agree 8

My (non-US) introduction to the Georgia law was on another board where the thread was titled “the US takes another step in its devolution to becoming Gilead” and that pretty much sums it up. Abortion illegal after a heartbeat has been detected. Travelling out of state for an abortion = conspiracy to commit murder. Prosecutors may interrogate/charge women who miscarry to determine if there’s anything they did to contribute to it*. It’s horrifying and intentionally designed to be challenged as unconstitutional and sent to the Supreme Court so Roe v Wade can be overturned by the conservative SC bench.

* I doubt any of the Duggars are imagining Lauren being interrogated over what she ate and did and didn’t do in the weeks before her pregnancy ended.

• Upvote 12
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

SassyPantswithaSideofclass - ‘Call the Midwife’ is a lovely, nostalgic TV drama series. I think it reflects Midwifery in the fifties and sixties a little,  but it's NOTHING like modern day Midwifery.

Most Uk Midwives work in hospitals.

Most babies are delivered by a Midwife (not a doctor). 

Community Midwives are attached to a hospital and GP practice. They visit women in their own homes, run antenatal clinics,  attend & manage home-births, and provide care for women and babies up to 28 days postnatally.

Midwives are autonomous practitioners in their own right: they make their own clinical decisions and they’re the Lead  Professional for ‘low risk’ women.

Midwives work alongside Obstetricians; who only become involved when circumstances deviate from the norm. Obstetricians are the Lead Professional for ‘high risk’ women. ‘High risk’ women are still cared for by Midwives, but with the added input from Obstetricians.

That’s why it really annoys me when the Jill/ Jana claim to be Midwives in their bios. Really?? I guarantee if they came to work ONE shift with me they wouldn’t have a clue what to do.?

Did you say you’re saving to buy the whole box-set? Isn’t it on Netflix???

I think it is on Netflix? But I like having the actual set too lol. That way I can travel and watch it anywhere without having to hook it up to a Wi-Fi thing.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic