IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 37: Your new thread

samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, finnlassie said:

I'm now interested, how do you peepsters pronunciate midwife? I'm used to saying "midwiff" (or more like a mix of th and f).

Mid-wife

Mid - rhymes with lid, skid & did.

wife - rhymes with life and knife.

Mid-WIF-ery -  that’s when the vowel sound is shortened, so it rhymes with sniff and cliff.

Isn’t that how everyone pronounces it???

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 27
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

SassyPantswithaSideofclass - ‘Call the Midwife’ is a lovely, nostalgic TV drama series. I think it reflects Midwifery in the fifties and sixties a little,  but it's NOTHING like modern day Midwifery.

Most Uk Midwives work in hospitals.

Most babies are delivered by a Midwife (not a doctor). 

Community Midwives are attached to a hospital and GP practice. They visit women in their own homes, run antenatal clinics,  attend & manage home-births, and provide care for women and babies up to 28 days postnatally.

Midwives are autonomous practitioners in their own right: they make their own clinical decisions and they’re the Lead  Professional for ‘low risk’ women.

Midwives work alongside Obstetricians; who only become involved when circumstances deviate from the norm. Obstetricians are the Lead Professional for ‘high risk’ women. ‘High risk’ women are still cared for by Midwives, but with the added input from Obstetricians.

That’s why it really annoys me when the Jill/ Jana claim to be Midwives in their bios. Really?? I guarantee if they came to work ONE shift with me they wouldn’t have a clue what to do.?

Did you say you’re saving to buy the whole box-set? Isn’t it on Netflix???

Love reading this.  I used midwives for my well-woman care (I'm in the US) and then for both of my pregnancies.  Had the first at a hospital and the second at a freestanding birth center.  I cannot say enough about my experience.  The midwives were all wonderful and I felt very cared for.  The birth center recently moved locations and they had a farewell party so families could come and say goodbye to the original center.  When my husband and I walked in with my now 17-year old birth center baby, they greeted me by name, even though I hadn't been back for about 16 years! 

3 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

I think it is on Netflix? But I like having the actual set too lol. That way I can travel and watch it anywhere without having to hook it up to a Wi-Fi thing.

I have watched the whole series & also read the first book (I think there are more than one).  The book is much grittier than the show, definitely in the same spirit, but gave me a different perspective, too.

• Upvote 5

so some of you probably saw talk of a video of a talk JB Michelle Cil and Pricilla did it's on a few threads, anyway at the very end JB and Michelle are talking about Mary, and Michelle mentions that Mary had two strokes around Christmas. Oh the one actually broke my heart a little. 

• Thank You 3

On 5/14/2019 at 7:02 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The point of the law is to have it challenged in court, giving the Supreme Court an opportunity to overturn Roe v. Wade.

And for that reason, the Alabama state Senate just passed this law.  Gilead here we come...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/alabama-state-senate-passes-near-total-abortion-ban-direct-challenge-n1005556

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 9
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, these recent super aggressive criminalization bills are scary AF. Two of the states where I’ve had gynecological care have passed them. ?

The fact that the Duggars aren’t talking about them as much as everyone else is makes me think that they just don’t know how to talk about abortion apart from protesting and over the top mourning.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

Yeah, these recent super aggressive criminalization bills are scary AF. Two of the states where I’ve had gynecological care have passed them. ?

The fact that the Duggars aren’t talking about them as much as everyone else is makes me think that they just don’t know how to talk about abortion apart from protesting and over the top mourning.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they are at least media savvy enough to know that gleefully posting about putting doctors in prison or executing women who’ve had abortions would be bad optics. Given that JB claimed that he supported the death penalty for incest (presumably for other people’s children based on their non-response to the molestations), I think the Duggar’s would have public stonings for anyone involved in the end of a pregnancy.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

27 minutes ago, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

I’m just glad I live in Europe.??

Me too. Even with all our problem 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Sometimes I think of moving back to England, but I don't think I could afford it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Given that JB claimed that he supported the death penalty for incest (presumably for other people’s children based on their non-response to the molestations), I think the Duggar’s would have public stonings for anyone involved in the end of a pregnancy.

Interestingly, the Alabama law doesn't even make an exception for pregnancy by incest.  So, JB thinks that incest is so bad that the perpetrator should be put to death, and yet the woman (or girl) impregnated by him should be just fine being forced to carry and give birth to the baby?

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Interestingly, the Alabama law doesn't even make an exception for pregnancy by incest.  So, JB thinks that incest is so bad that the perpetrator should be put to death, and yet the woman (or girl) impregnated by him should be just fine being forced to carry and give birth to the baby?

Well. You have to punish her somehow when you believe the incest is her fault. After all, she wouldn’t have been raped if she wasn’t such a saucy temptress - even if she’s a child or her attacker is a family member or... What better way to make her pay for defrauding a man then forcing her to carry a baby she might not want to term, regardless of the serious health risks she might incur as a result.

She’s struggling with mental illness as a result of her abuse? Just pray to Jesus and it’ll go away!

Praying didn’t work? Well she obviously didn’t pray hard enough that filthy whore!

She has life threatening complications? Well at least she didn’t kill her unborn child. That’d be a real crime. Not like rape or anything. 

She died as a result of those complications? Well, at least she gave her baby a chance at life. We’ll forgive her now!

She and the baby are healthy, but need assistance to pay the bills and eat? This isn’t a welfare state! Maybe the filthy slut should have closed her legs and thought before having a baby she can’t afford. 

(Excuse me while I seek immediate medical attention for both the severe eye strain I got rolling my eyes so hard and the concussion I may now have from hitting my head against a wall.)

This law is not meant to protect anyone. It is meant to be a first challenge toRoe v. Wade and is meant to control women, especially low income and minority women. Women like me - white and at least solidly middle class - will still be capable of traveling out of state for abortions. Who’s going to stop them? Are there going to be special police at the airports and borders with ultrasound machines and pregnancy tests to be sure no one pregnant leaves? No. There won’t be. This law will be an inconvenience for some women, but the women who can’t leave the state for a safe abortion will suffer the most and be most at risk. It’s disgusting in so many ways. 

• Upvote 26
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 12

3 hours ago, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

I’m just glad I live in Europe.??

We have people that want that here too. The ultra-right wing wave that’s spreading around Europe (and the world) really, really scare me. Every election just reinforce the hopelessness I feel about the state of the world. Assuming the upcoming European Union election will not change that.

Remember to vote everyone that’s eligible! Use your voice to vote for someone that actually wants to make the world a better place for everyone!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 5

There’s an Australian election in two days and I’m so nervous about the result. The rise of the far-right is widespread, and there are certainly Trump supporters in other countries ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

5 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

A lot of fundies claim to believe that having a baby is a positive under any circumstances (and clearly envision that any woman who gives birth ~naturally~ transforms into a happy and nurturing SAHM who joyfully sacrifices all her "bitterness" for her kid) so they wouldn't see any problem with this. Honestly, I can't tell who buys that and who doesn't but insists on it anyway.

See also, that Todd Akin "legitimate rape" comment.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Smee said:

There’s an Australian election in two days and I’m so nervous about the result. The rise of the far-right is widespread, and there are certainly Trump supporters in other countries ?

Oh God, I knew it was Saturday but it hadn’t occurred to me that only two days away. Pray for us.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, oldfashionedgal said:

Oh God, I knew it was Saturday but it hadn’t occurred to me that only two days away. Pray for us.

Sco Mo or Short stump 

god help us 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

A lot of fundies claim to believe that having a baby is a positive under any circumstances (and clearly envision that any woman who gives birth ~naturally~ transforms into a happy and nurturing SAHM who joyfully sacrifices all her "bitterness" for her kid) so they wouldn't see any problem with this. Honestly, I can't tell who buys that and who doesn't but insists on it anyway.

See also, that Todd Akin "legitimate rape" comment.

Yeah, tell that to the girls around the world who give birth way too young and suffer from fistulas because, while their body is biologically capable of making a baby, it is still not mature enough to safely birth a baby without complications.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 7
  • Love 9

If the tables were turned and the government told everyone they could only have one (or two now in China), and any "excess" children would be taken from them/they would be heavily fined/jailed/whatever, would they still think that the government being involved in their reproductive lives is a good thing?

• Upvote 16
  • Love 16

13 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

We have people that want that here too. The ultra-right wing wave that’s spreading around Europe (and the world) really, really scare me. Every election just reinforce the hopelessness I feel about the state of the world. Assuming the upcoming European Union election will not change that.

Remember to vote everyone that’s eligible! Use your voice to vote for someone that actually wants to make the world a better place for everyone!

Maybe that’s true. But in the UK, there’s no mainstream political party that wants to stop the right to choose. It isn’t even a political discussion, it’s just accepted as a necessary part of civilised society. Abortions are available free of charge on the NHS, which means everyone who pays tax pays towards them. It’s recognised all over western Europe that the way to keep social abortions to a minimum is through EDUCATION.   

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

Maybe that’s true. But in the UK, there’s no mainstream political party that wants to stop the right to choose. It isn’t even a political discussion, it’s just accepted as a necessary part of civilised society. Abortions are available free of charge on the NHS, which means everyone who pays tax pays towards them. It’s recognised all over western Europe that the way to keep social abortions to a minimum is through EDUCATION.   

We don’t have a party that wants to stop the right to choose (yet), but we have two that wants to change the laws and lower the right to free abortion from week 18 to week 12. They also want to make it legal for medical personnel to refuse to participate in abortions. Any that is how it starts.

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I would point out that Abortion is mostly illegal in Poland (there are a few exceptions) so not all of Europe has easily available Abortions.

@Iamtheway asssuming you have enrolled to vote in Australia (theoretically you should enrol at age 18 but not everyone does) then it is illegal not to vote.  You get a small fine (I think it is $AU20 or so) for not voting.  I believe people are more likely to make a Donkey/invalid vote than to not go to the polling station and or early/postal vote (drawing pictures on your voting paper is considered an invalid vote).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

We don’t have a party that wants to stop the right to choose (yet), but we have two that wants to change the laws and lower the right to free abortion from week 18 to week 12. They also want to make it legal for medical personnel to refuse to participate in abortions. Any that is how it starts.

Absolutely agree. Those of you fortunate enough to live in places where abortion is legal and paid for should never take that for granted. Once you start taking things for granted it becomes easier for others to step in and strip those rights away from you and future generations. Please don’t let that happen. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 3

@Someone Out There In Sweden there is no mandatory voting but the participation in the national election is still pretty high. 87,2% in the last one. The EU election is a different story though. In Sweden just over 50% vote in that one and we are still among the countries with the highest participation. 

When Mr Way first moved to Sweden he had to go to the Australian consulate and vote in the election but now he’s lived here so long he doesn’t have to vote any more. Lucky since we don’t live in Stockholm any more and it would be a bit hard to organize. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, surgicalmusicalchairs said:

DOn't forget that Northern Ireland is a part of the UK and they still don't have legal abortion. Plus the DUP is opposed and currently propping up the government, they have no chance of changing it through the Stormont parliament as it hasn't been running for over two years and Westminster is stuck in a never ending Brexit loop.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, medimus said:

DOn't forget that Northern Ireland is a part of the UK and they still don't have legal abortion. Plus the DUP is opposed and currently propping up the government, they have no chance of changing it through the Stormont parliament as it hasn't been running for over two years and Westminster is stuck in a never ending Brexit loop.

I wish someone would call the DUP out on their hypocrisy  when they say that NI can’t have a separate customs arrangement with the EU because it’s part of the UK and mustn’t be treated differently. I’m not saying that is necessarily the right idea (is that the same as the backstop? - I don’t really understand it all) but insisting on parity with the rest of the country while simultaneously denying women and gay people (NI doesn’t perform or recognise gay marriage) the rights they would have in Wales, Scotland or England makes me angry.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic