IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 37: Your new thread

samurai_sarah

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, VelociRapture said:

I was pretty serious about having four or five kids. Then I started having them. And now I’m dead set on this second kid being my last. It’s absolutely possible Lauren - or any of them - will double down on their intent to have big families, but it’s also possible that the reality of having kids will adjust some of their expectations a bit. I think we’ve seen that to an extent in the Dills already. 

My mom used to tell me time from time that if my birth had gone well they probably would have three or four kids. My brother's birth had gone wrong and he was in NICU for months, the doctors really had no hope that he'd survive. He did. They had a miscarriage after him. Then my birth which ended up a C-section because I decided to come out elbow first (I blame my brother for he did not leave any directions before on his way out) yanking me back up a caused stress on my neck and I had to see a chiropractor. They worried how badly it would go if they tried again and decided to stop at two.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9

People have predicting the end of this show for years however This show is  very cheap and easy to film and there are still 10 children to mine for courtships, weddings and trips as well as an unending supply of births and babies. I don’t think TLC will end it till the Duggars do.
Or until the next scandal breaks. Josh is only the tip of the iceberg in that family. One day they will piss off somebody who who spill more beans. Somebody who isn't scared of JB.
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I always wanted 2, but when they offered me a tubal during my second kids birth I just wasn't ready, now I'm putting away his newborn clothes and feeling like three wouldn't be a terrible idea....

So it can go both ways

• Upvote 7
  • Love 12

Flooding in Arkansas. I was just watching the news about the flooding. Will it affect the Duggar’s? 

• Upvote 2

I’ve always wanted a bunch of kids and so does my husband. It took us forever to get pregnant with our first, then the second barrelled in right on his heels. We lost one in February and are continuing to try for more. Fortunately, I don’t mind being pregnant so we will just have to see what happens. 

• Love 21

On 5/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, theotherelise said:

It would actually make more sense to me for JB to create a corporation and officially employ the children. They have enough that they could get a group health insurance plan. I have to believe most of them are on some Christian health share fake insurance. They did not give their children proper education or job training, so I don't know what their prospects are outside of construction and service jobs. But with a real business and not just a bunch of LLCs, they could really develop some more solid wages. Joe is not going to be able to support their umpteen kids by selling used cars in rural Arkansas. They could have a storage unit facility, a moving company, formalize the property management stuff, a cleaning company, etc. Then the boys could actually specialize, grow their little domains, and have something real to put on a resume. It would also allow some part-time opportunities for office administration for the spouses or unmarrieds. #pipedream

The show won't last forever. Influencers will fall, their commodity will be worth less. The children will keep coming.

I think people underestimate Jim Bob Duggar.  They fall for the good old country boy act and don't understand that he is in fact a very shrewd (and not always ethical, allegedly) businessman.  How do you know the Duggar children are not "officially" employed by the businesses or that they don't have some kind of group health insurance? 

People assume the Duggars were dirt poor before the TV show because they were first seen living in a small rental house, and JB was grifting away happily every chance he could get.  IMO though, this was a temporary situation because he was land rich and cash poor at the time.  He'd also blown a heck of a lot of money on his failed runs for first US and then state senate too.   

They do have a Duggar Family Trust and many LLCs, probably more than we can track down.  Not all of them have the Duggar name emblazoned on them. This diversification makes sense as some of his many businesses have failed, and a couple have been shut down by the state for "forgetting" to file paperwork and pay taxes. 

But there are plenty of opportunities for the older children to work in the businesses, whether it is Duggar Aviation, Dugger Used Cars, Duggar Towing, or Duggar real estate.  And those are just the ones that immediately came into my mind.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Daisy0322 said:

WHERE DO THEY GET THIS MONEY?! I get that they have a reality show and speak at smaller events butbthat can't possibly support all those people living the way they do. 

I'd say they live solidly middle class if not upper middle class. Lots of trips to silver dollar city, big weddings, vacations, new clothes, etc. 

The speaking engagements dried up a bit post-scandal, but for a while there they were raking it in at quite mainstream events.  They are still listed as speakers on the Embassy Media (IBLP) site.  I've never been curious enough to track down what their fees are, but they still speak at Homeschooling and Fundie functions.  Then there are book royalties.  Properly invested, all that cash would make JB and family very comfortable.

As far as the second generation goes, the Duggar boys are working for the many family businesses.  As many people work for family businesses.  Granted, the older boys and girls don't seem to want to go to college,  but you can earn a perfectly good living with so-called  "blue collar" jobs. 

We have no idea whether they have taken classes in accounting, bookkeeping, and so forth.  I'm pretty sure Jana has her real estate licence.  We were surprised when JD got his pilot's licence.  That takes a fair amount of math, so the boys who have got their pilot's licences aren't dumb as rocks.  Who knows what qualifications the others have.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 27
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I think most here would applaud if it was disclosed that each and every Duggar had advanced intellect, marketable skills and a plethora of paths to successfully care for many gaggles of kids. But in the absence of proof of such...and of course, all the skills in the world don’t mean much if you’re not willing to use them, for a whole long time. I think with decent and sustained work efforts, the Duggar boys could be successful...pilot, plumber, electrician, realtors, auto mechanic, construction crew, painters, carpenters, truck driver, bus driver...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

What happened to the wiki page? normally it would have been updated within hours of an announcement. now nothing...

3 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Flooding in Arkansas. I was just watching the news about the flooding. Will it affect the Duggar’s? 

It's in a different part of the state from where they are.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Wasn’t there an episode where they had a Totnado come through? I may be remembering a Bates show episode though.

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Wasn’t there an episode where they had a Totnado come through? 

Hahahahahahahahahhaahahahaha!!! All I can see is a swirling vortex of tater tots bearing down of the Duggar house...thank you ??

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 29
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Hahahahahahahahahhaahahahaha!!! All I can see is a swirling vortex of tater tots bearing down of the Duggar house...thank you ??

It could also be a lot of toddlers bearing down on the Duggar house (Tot also means toddler at least here).  Which will be true soon with all those babies due in November...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

They believe in the end times and if they are like many people believe we are living with them  so they most likely see the climate change and more violent weather phenomena as Biblical and not climatological. 

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Do the Duggar’s believe in Global warming?

Why, bless your heart.  Only if the Lord is heating up the world against Satan's plans, Or Satan is heating up the world against God's plans.

And they are not big on overpopulation either,

Michelle Duggar, star of TLC's reality show, "19 Kids and Counting", says there needs to be more children because our world needs more joy. And as for overpopulation? That's just a lie, Duggar recently told the Christian Broadcasting Network in a web interview. "The idea of overpopulation is not accurate," Duggar says, because the entire population of the world could fit inside of Jacksonville, Florida.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/duggars-overpopulation_n_1387640

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

As far as the second generation goes, the Duggar boys are working for the many family businesses.  As many people work for family businesses.  Granted, the older boys and girls don't seem to want to go to college,  but you can earn a perfectly good living with so-called  "blue collar" jobs. 

I get that "blue collar" work is a good living trust me. My husband and I didn't go to college and neither did anyone else in our family. But my husband works very hard and I work part time (I stay home with our kid, soon to be kids mostly) we have a nice house, two cars, go on vacations. But we aren't planning to have 10+ kids. I'm not arguing with you I'm just saying it doesn't seem like they work that much or at least don't show it or talk about it on the show and TLC money can't be that great. Some of the stuff they afford and do surprises me.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Then it'll finally become TATER TOT HOUSE!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

@eveandadam was probably searching the 19 kids and counting wikipedia page (same one I was searching)

Oh, thank you, I didn't know the other one existed. Is it new?

9 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

Oh, thank you, I didn't know the other one existed. Is it new?

The Counting on-page has been around for several years. For a while, both the 19kac + CO pages had the lists of kids, spouses and grandkids. Sometime this spring (don't remember when) it was changed so that it was just up to date on the CO page. I think that's a reasonable change since 19kac hasn't been on the air for quite a while. I'm glad if I could help by just pointing out the Wiki-page :) (I'm not a wiki writer myself). 

• Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I get that "blue collar" work is a good living trust me. My husband and I didn't go to college and neither did anyone else in our family. But my husband works very hard and I work part time (I stay home with our kid, soon to be kids mostly) we have a nice house, two cars, go on vacations. But we aren't planning to have 10+ kids. I'm not arguing with you I'm just saying it doesn't seem like they work that much or at least don't show it or talk about it on the show and TLC money can't be that great. Some of the stuff they afford and do surprises me.

Agreed.  I quoted you but didn't mean it personally. :)

I think there is a tendency for some people to think the Duggars (or name that other Fundie) are lazy, idle, thick as planks, or unmotivated because they don't go to college.  I was pointing out that people can and do succeed without college degrees.

I also think that people watching the show don't necessarily get an accurate picture of how hard any Duggar works.  The male kidults tend to be filmed lazing around on the sofas or on trips.  But that is partly because they are probably waiting around for their talking heads and filming is, in fact, a job!  John David apparently has the reputation locally of being a hard worker and so does Joseph.  I don't know about the others, although Josh has always struck me as idle as the day is long.

Regarding the "planning to have 10+ kids."  I don't bother speculating about that.  I don't think the Duggars are all going to produce huge numbers of children, whatever they think they are planning.

IMO, women like Michelle, Kelly Bates, J.Rod, and Esther Shrader are super breeders.  They are incredibly fertile and deliberately try to breed huge numbers.  It's competitive.  I can imagine Michelle in the past plotting her periods, and lassoing JB, and dragging him off to bed every time she ovulated.  Whether he was in the mood or not.  But that season of life is now over for her.

However, if you look at other families who are vocal proponents of "leaving family size up to God" they tend to top out <10.  No, I don't think these couples are sneakily using BC.  I think they are just normally fertile, and don't necessarily go at it like energetic bunnies every month.  Perhaps they get very convenient headaches, although they would never, ever, practice NFP.  Perish the thought.

• Upvote 23

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Agreed.  I quoted you but didn't mean it personally. :)

I think there is a tendency for some people to think the Duggars (or name that other Fundie) are lazy, idle, thick as planks, or unmotivated because they don't go to college.  I was pointing out that people can and do succeed without college degrees.

I also think that people watching the show don't necessarily get an accurate picture of how hard any Duggar works.  The male kidults tend to be filmed lazing around on the sofas or on trips.  But that is partly because they are probably waiting around for their talking heads and filming is, in fact, a job!  John David apparently has the reputation locally of being a hard worker and so does Joseph.  I don't know about the others, although Josh has always struck me as idle as the day is long.

I get where you're coming from, and I certainly agree that what we see on TV and on their social media is only a small and very curated part of their actual lives.

That said, the Duggars have a tendency of WAY overselling their accomplishments, rather than downplaying or hiding them. So Jana is a concert pianist and interior designer because, you know, she sometimes plays the piano at church and has redecorated her parents' bedroom. And when any of them have any real accomplishments, they make damn sure we know about it (everyone constantly mentioning that JD is a pilot and a policeman - even though the second part is a bit of a stretch; Jeremy and Jinger bragging about him getting into the Master's Seminary all over SM and probably the show next season). Heck, we know where pretty much all of the in-laws went to college and what they studied (those that went), even though it was before they were on the show. I'm not saying the Duggars are all sitting around watching TV reading their bible all day, but I highly doubt they all have these secret qualifications that we don't know about. If Josiah was a licensed electrician, and Jeremiah was training to be a plumber, and Jana had gone to community college for medical billing, we'd know about it. Heck, Jill's midwifery training was a huge storyline on the show and they were even going to feature Joe's going to Clown College even though it wasn't even for a degree program, just a "Certificate of Christian Living" or whatever they call it, before 19KAC was cancelled.

I don't think they're all lazy, but I do think they would do well to get some proper job training and certification while they are young and don't yet have a million kids. Jim Bob is certainly shrewd with money, and as long as he keeps supporting his kids and the show is still on, they are likely all going to be fine. But JB won't be able to bankroll 200+ Duggars forever, and the show has to end some time.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

When there is 200+ Duggars they can have their own tv channel. Like a Truman show, except everyone know they are being filmed all the time. :sleeping-boring:

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic