IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

Third Love advertises on a podcast I like, so I’ve been meaning to get one. I registered on the website and now they email me every day and never send a coupon. Maybe after we pay the damn tax bill.

Dominos almost here and I'm in pj bottoms and braless. I'll tip them well to offset the trauma. 

Also, most people in this house have their shoes off, but when it's warm, you can see bare footprints on the floor (it's laminate). For some reason seeing the bare foot marks skeeve me out. I just wet-mopped to erase them. Maybe it's my cleaner leaving behind some film, who knows. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

I was about to try a Third Love or Lively thing, and then I walked into a Soma in our local mall and tried on their new "Enbliss" line and they are by far the most comfortable bras I've ever worn in my life. It seems like they consistently have a BOGO 50% off sale happening. I have a Soma strapless bra that's still with me after at least 5ish years, so good quality. I think you can get two of their bras for about $70, so not the cheapest, but as I mentioned good quality.

I'm a 34/36 D, and while they are technically wireless, I feel I get plenty of support. I'm slowly going to work towards getting more because now that I wear these Enbliss bras, it sucks to wear my other ones.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

22 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

On the bra thread drift, has anyone tried Lively (a cute, ethical brand I've heard of) or Third Love (where you take a quiz and get a bra that apparently fits you perfectly). I've been needing to replace my whole undergarment drawer recently (my standbys are getting ragged) and I want to know if something actually works before spending money on something poor quality. I'm have a 29 inch ribcage and a 36 inch bust, which apparently means nothing to online bra stores because whenever I order a 30DD/32D they never fit, despite the fact that I followed the measuring instructions online exactly.

I just want a bra that fits. Please help me.

ETA: I've also answered the door to a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses in sock feet, velociraptor pajama pants, a T-shirt with the seal of Satan on it, and a margarita in hand, at 11 AM on a Sunday. Because I am the EPITOME of class and grace.

I just ordered a third love bra and I really like it (it's a 34 C1/2 and it fits me well, I dont know how they'd be for many of you with smaller ribs and bigger boobs). The cups fit me perfectly, it's more comfortable than any other bras I've owned, it provides support but has minimal padding, and the clasp has padding underneath so it doesn't irritate my back (my favorite feature!!). They have a GREAT return policy which is what convinced me to order. They offer free returns/exchanges within 60 days, even if you've worn/washed it. Worn bras are donated to homeless shelters so women there can get high quality bras (hopefully in the correct size). I've had mine for only a couple weeks, but I'm thinking I'll order another when I get my tax return back. I also found a code online for (I think) 15% off that I used and they offer discounts if you buy multiples together, but I didn't want to do that when trying a totally new bra. Also if you sign up for their rewards program you get free shipping over $50, including returns, and all their bras cost more than that. If you're looking for patterns or bright colors they're definitely not the right company, they basically have shades of nudes with maybe a blue or white in a few styles.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

18 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Dominos almost here and I'm in pj bottoms and braless. I'll tip them well to offset the trauma. 

Also, most people in this house have their shoes off, but when it's warm, you can see bare footprints on the floor (it's laminate). For some reason seeing the bare foot marks skeeve me out. I just wet-mopped to erase them. Maybe it's my cleaner leaving behind some film, who knows. 

I have hardwood and you can see the footprints

• Upvote 2

With my constantly shedding Lab mix,  I need a Roomba that is running 24/7.  I do wear shoes inside the house because I frequently have to take the dogs out and would need to be putting my shoes on (and taking them off) way too much.  I do love going barefoot though and often shucked my shoes/sandals/zoris on the way to class on rainy days at UGA.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I can't fathom putting on shoes to answer the door. The other day I opened the door in only a towel. It was just Mr. Knees who had forgotten his keys, and we have an intercom which is super helpful, but yeah. I don't view it as my problem if anyone outside the building has an issue with a fully censored three-second glimpse of me like that.

It miiiiight be helpful that our building's stoop is quite picturesque and frequently attracts photoshoots, which are occasionally sexy or even topless. After you've hauled your groceries through that, you just stop caring (and I'm frankly happier with life not caring about that type of thing).

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4

On 4/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, Knight of Ni said:

I’m going to stir the pot and add to the shoes in the house debate. Do you answer the door to your home barefoot or with shoes? I remember this being a discussion a long time ago. Someone said they thought answering the door with barefoot low class and tasteless.

Since for many of us, wearing shoes in the house is incorrect/uncomfortable/unnatural/not the usual way of things, putting them on to answer the door would make no sense at all. "Someone," even if they say they are not, is telling people that their ordinary way of doing things is "low class and tasteless." 

• Upvote 5

Slippers/barefoot inside here. I hate shoes with a bloody blue passion and as soon as it warms up a wee bit more the slippers will go for me (it's not even 70F here today). Hubs will wear slippers all year, he doesn't like going barefoot. Son will kick off his flip flops at the door. Our downstairs is laminate flooring w/area rugs, our upstairs is wall to wall. 

I'll be hitting up Famous Footwear soon for new sandals...standard footwear from now until sometime in November 

If you want to think I'm low class and tasteless...have at it. I'll admit to it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

It miiiiight be helpful that our building's stoop is quite picturesque and frequently attracts photoshoots, which are occasionally sexy or even topless. After you've hauled your groceries through that, you just stop caring (and I'm frankly happier with life not caring about that type of thing).

If anyone ever poses topless on my front porch, I'd burst out laughing. And call Mr. Hick to come see.

I still have borderline embarrassment from many years ago when Mr. Hick hired some contractors to work on our back patio, & I got up Sat. morning in undies and a short t-shirt. The curtains were open and there the guys were. 

And they were Amish.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 29
  • Love 3

I've told this before but I answered the door to Mormon boys in only a towel. My roommate had gone to the library and I thought that she had forgotten her keys. It wasn't her! Oops! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 26

On 4/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, MargaretElliott said:

On the bra thread drift, has anyone tried Lively (a cute, ethical brand I've heard of) or Third Love (where you take a quiz and get a bra that apparently fits you perfectly). I've been needing to replace my whole undergarment drawer recently (my standbys are getting ragged) and I want to know if something actually works before spending money on something poor quality. I'm have a 29 inch ribcage and a 36 inch bust, which apparently means nothing to online bra stores because whenever I order a 30DD/32D they never fit, despite the fact that I followed the measuring instructions online exactly.

I just want a bra that fits. Please help me.

ETA: I've also answered the door to a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses in sock feet, velociraptor pajama pants, a T-shirt with the seal of Satan on it, and a margarita in hand, at 11 AM on a Sunday. Because I am the EPITOME of class and grace.

I tried Third Love and hated it. It felt like my boobs were resting on an inflexible shelf. It also hurt my ribs! For reference, I am a  42F. I sent it back.

I like Soma and Lane Bryant for bras (I am not sure if LB has smaller bras as it's a plus size store) but I have honestly never looked. Soma has a range of sizes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

No shoes in the house for me. I NEED socks on all the time. Mostly because my are cold, but also I think feet are gross. My FIL have nasty feet (they really are, he seems to trim his toenail like once every three months, they are hobbit level of hairy, and I am about to throw my lunch up thinking about them) and he insists on being barefoot all the time. Read the room dude. I love flip flops though, but it almost never warm enough for them.

Following about the bras. I hate the cheap ones I buy, but I never had time to go get a nice one (and didn't trust myself to care for it properly), now after the baby and working on learning to do laundry well, I think it may be time and my boobs have gotten huge (not BF so it is not going anywhere sadly). Are any of these brands available in the EU/UK?

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, NakedKnees said:

I'm trying, and failing, to imagine a stoop that is so picturesque strangers decide it is the perfect place to pose topless.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

No shoes in the house for me. I NEED socks on all the time. Mostly because my are cold, but also I think feet are gross. My FIL have nasty feet (they really are, he seems to trim his toenail like once every three months, they are hobbit level of hairy, and I am about to throw my lunch up thinking about them) and he insists on being barefoot all the time. Read the room dude. I love flip flops though, but it almost never warm enough for them.

Following about the bras. I hate the cheap ones I buy, but I never had time to go get a nice one (and didn't trust myself to care for it properly), now after the baby and working on learning to do laundry well, I think it may be time and my boobs have gotten huge (not BF so it is not going anywhere sadly). Are any of these brands available in the EU/UK?

In the UK the best place for bra's is Marks and Spencers! They do a fitting service too. I've been going there for over 20 years and my girls have also been in to get properly measured when they were old enough. I used to have 32DD boobs and no where except Marks did that size as its odd, and they only did black and white in one style, luckily over the years more places have branched out into non-standard sizing but the quality of Marks is still unbeatable and for price too ?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I love m&s bra's every time I have the occasion to go to London I always find time to go to M&S for some shopping  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I hate M&S bras. They are such a weird pointy shape. Bravissimo is the only high street place in the UK to go for a decent bra. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I can't go bare foot. Even as a kid it always felt weird and uncomfortable to me. I'm more comfortable with my sneakers on or slippers. It drove my mom crazy because she hates shoes. If she didn't have to wear the to work or stores she'd happily go barefoot. She always kicked them off the second she got home. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, MargaretElliott said:

I just want a bra that fits. Please help me

I love Thirdlove. I only buy bras from them. They have a great and easy return policy so I ordered a bunch of styles and sizes and returned what didn’t work. Highly recommend them. The T-shirt bra is my favorite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

My Mum buys her bras in M&S, and always goes back for the exact same type when replacing them. She has a tough time finding a good bra elsewhere so she is really happy with what she gets in Marks . But for me, I can't do with M&S for bras. I'm very small and flat chested, the A cup is always too big and weirdly shaped  (and pointed) for my frame. I found ones almost perfect fit for my boobs in H and M a while back, but not many H&M stores stock bras near me. I used to always buy my pants in M&S though, forever really, but lately I find the quality they are made really shitty. The elastic all came undone, the stitching unravelling, just falling apart after a few wears. This has happened the last 2 batches I bought. I'm pear shaped, so my butt, belly, and hips are my trouble area/hated parts. I'm really uncool and like some coverage in that area, so I hate teeny tiny pants most shops sell. But I don't want ugly Bridget Jones style granny pants either. I don't know where to try instead, I am so in a rut of always heading to Marks for pants.

• Upvote 3

On the shoes topic - I absolutely have to wear shoes all the time. I essentially have muscular dystrophy (it's more complicated than that, but I have severe leg muscle atrophy and really bad foot drop like muscular dystrophy). My doctors have told me to pretty much wear shoes as much as possible to protect my feet, since they are weak and I lack a lot of feeling in them.

I wear leg braces when I go out, but that is super uncomfortable to wear all day around the house. If I'm not wearing my braces, regular shoes are too heavy and make me trip and fall. So I was delighted to find cheap, incredibly light weight slip-on shoes at Walmart a couple years ago (they're essentially Sketchers knockoffs). I wear them around the house like slippers (but they have good traction and don't weigh my feet down). If I'm going to someone's house I've been to before and am not too tired, I can just do the slip on shoes (I'll wear one pair there, and then swap into another pair that isn't worn outside). If I haven't been to someone's home before, I have to wear the leg braces, because I don't know if they're going to want to give me the house tour or if I'm going to need to walk up and down stairs to get into their home - stairs are incredibly taxing for me. I usually communicate with the host ahead of time, and have finally got my husband asking his friends about it ahead of time now too - that way there isn't that awkward moment where I have to say I can't take my shoes off and have to give a brief medical history at the front door. 

I actually prefer to just host as much as possible at my house, since it's not as tiring to be at home and have people come to me. I don't care if people wear shoes, but a lot of friends will bring slippers or house shoes to change into as we live in Minnesota and floors can be really cold a good chunk of the year. Pretty much I don't care what's on (or not) people's feet, as long as they are comfortable. The only thing I ask now is people to not put their bare feet on my throw pillows after one really uncouth guest, but other than that, be comfortable! 

• Love 18

Mark's and Spencer's don't do my bra size, I used to go to Debenhams for my bras but the wires kept popping out after a few wears and I'd need to take them back, they were placed into administration this week and if the quality of all their clothing is the same as their bras were then that may be a cause of if. I like Bravissimo but it's expensive.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 4/14/2019 at 12:02 PM, J.O.Y.nomore said:

I'm trying, and failing, to imagine a stoop that is so picturesque strangers decide it is the perfect place to pose topless.

Haha, I kid you not. These are at least somewhat professional photoshoots, to be clear. Our street is also used for film sets a lot. We live in a historical neighborhood with some levels of legal protection aimed at preservation, if that adds some context. 

• Upvote 8

I prefer people take their shoes off in my house but I never force anyone to if they prefer to keep them on. My sister ironically has a strict no shoe policy "because she has little ones who crawl around on the floor and she doesn't want them crawling through outside germs" but I say ironically because I would prefer to keep my shoes on when I go to her house to protect myself from their indoor germs because the house is filthy. She's an enigma sometimes. 

• Upvote 8

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic