• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

byzant

Drat it now I need to head out to buy butter to make rosemary shortbread! And maybe some flakemeal biscuits. Which also means putting on something other than pajamas_ drat you all as a bad influnces ūüėā

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Meh
backyard sylph

Oatmeal cookies don't need raisins, are good in and of themselves. Or any kind of chip could be added, or nuts, if that's your thing. 

Sad
WiseGirl

I present Oatmeal Scotchies into the discussion. 

I used to make them and enjoy them but now I can't find a gluten free oatmeal that I can tolerate.

So I sacrifice and make chocolate chip cookies and Bob's Red Mill brownies (people can never tell they are gluten free).

Depressed
formergothardite

I don't particularly care for raisins in cookies. Even if I know they are raisins my mind insists they are going to be chocolate chips and then I'm disappointed. 

But if all anyone contributes to the world is baking cookies then they done their part in making the world a better place. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

Meh
backyard sylph

Is not oatmeal gluten-free by nature? What do they do to them that ruins it for you? That has to be overcome, if possible because oatmeal scotchies are awesome. Though, they have changed the chips, not sure if just the name or the flavor as well, so I'm a little suspicious. 

Someone Out There
6 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Is not oatmeal gluten-free by nature? What do they do to them that ruins it for you? That has to be overcome, if possible because oatmeal scotchies are awesome. Though, they have changed the chips, not sure if just the name or the flavor as well, so I'm a little suspicious. 

It depends on the facilities that the oats have been in.  Here in Australia they don't determine Oats to be Gluten-free as they are generally processed in the same facilities as wheat so they can't be guaranteed to be Gluten-free.  I understand other countries have different definitions.  I'm not sure how much Gluten can actually be found in the Oats though...

Nervous
HerNameIsBuffy

caught up here last night and was way too ragey to reply...thanks to everyone who said what I was thinking.  and now I need cookies … blame yourselves.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • Love 4

TheMustardCardigan

If one of these threads doesn't include "Threewald" in the title before Jessa's latest is born, it'll be a shame! 

Waffle Time
Beermeet

I have the perfect funny right now!

Also, buy Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips, flip over to get the recipe and make it. Best cookies ever. ūüėä

Screenshot_20190407-075615_Google.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 34
  • I Agree 2

nickelodeon

Raisins are wonderful to me. Give me alllllll your oatmeal raisin cookies!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

Leftitinmysnood

My favorite oatmeal cookies are Cherry Chocolate Chip oatmeal cookies. My recipe says it's Jennifer Granholm's, no doubt to advertise Michigan's cherries. Second favorite are Fudgy Oatmeal bars, which are a pan of oatmeal cookie dough with a layer of condensed milk and chocolate chip fudge sauce. Good as all those are, I'm spending today baking a chocolate cake to take to work.

Giddy
SweetJuly
50 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

My favorite oatmeal cookies are Cherry Chocolate Chip oatmeal cookies. My recipe says it's Jennifer Granholm's, no doubt to advertise Michigan's cherries

Oh sweet Rufus, please share the recipe!! I need these cookies in my life right now! 

tabitha2

Best cookie hands down I ever had was oddly enough got on a school field trip to NASA in Houston. Amaretto Cherry chocolate chip from their cafe.I choose to believe it was a recipe from grays who landed at Roswell... that cookie was indescribable:) I will pretty much eat or drink anything with Amaretto though. It’s my crack. 

Leftitinmysnood

For @SweetJuly :

I imagine if you soaked the cherries in Amaretto before adding them, you would get something similar to @tabitha2's cookies.

20190407_103651.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 5

Satisfied
church_of_dog
6 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I present Oatmeal Scotchies into the discussion. 

I used to make them and enjoy them but now I can't find a gluten free oatmeal that I can tolerate.

Have you tried Edison Grainery brand oats?  They are gluten tested, which is not a term I'm familiar with.  I see them sold via Azure Standard, not sure where else.  Maybe not what you're looking for, but maybe so?

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/brand/edison-grainery/802

Happy
PennySycamore

@CaricatureQualities,  I love to watch Paul Hollywood bake various breads on The Great British Bake Off: Masterclass. Last night, on a show about Easter baking, he made Hot Cross Buns and Tzoureki.   Both breads looked scruffy, as Mary Berry would say.  Paul just gets in there with his hands and works that dough.  I do think you miss something valuable making dough completely with a machine.  

Sad
Satan'sFortress

Oddly (and very apropos to this thread drift), my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe is Hillary Clinton's that Family Circle published for the 1992 election. HRC had made a comment about not wanting to "just stay home and bake cookies"--got everyone's panties in a bunch. Family Circle then ran a contest between her cookie recipe and Barbara Bush's.  Anyhow . . .  long story short, HRC cookies are really really good.  Mr. Fortress just requests "Hillary Clintons" now.

Hillary Clinton's Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Vegetable oil for baking sheets
  • 1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
  • 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets.

2. Combine flour, salt and baking soda.

3. Beat together shortening, sugars and vanilla in large bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, beating until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture and rolled oats. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Drop batter by well-rounded teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.

5. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 7 1/2 dozen cookies.

Iamtheway
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

For @SweetJuly :

I imagine if you soaked the cherries in Amaretto before adding them, you would get something similar to @tabitha2's cookies.

20190407_103651.jpg

I just love how used your recipe looks! A definite sign of a good cookie. :character-cookiemonster:

I love cookies but I’m not great at making them myself. I have a very simple recipe that I follow for the base and have used it with chocolate chips, lemon curd, crossed mint caramels and butterscotch, all kinds turned out great. 

Edited by Iamtheway
Always, always spelling. Never, never see it until after I’ve posted.
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Smee
5 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Second favorite are Fudgy Oatmeal bars, which are a pan of oatmeal cookie dough with a layer of condensed milk and chocolate chip fudge sauce. 

This sounds delicious.

My understanding about oats (from a celiac friend) is that they do contain a type of gluten but it‚Äôs different to the one in wheat etc and something like 80% of celiacs can tolerate it. So in Australia, we won‚Äôt label anything ‚Äúgluten free oats‚ÄĚ because oats themselves have gluten, but in the US, the label simply means the oats have been processed in a factory that doesn‚Äôt process any other types of gluten and aren‚Äôt contaminated by wheat etc. So basically, there are going to be some people who can‚Äôt tolerate any oats, ‚Äúgluten free‚ÄĚ or not, but most people can have them if they haven‚Äôt been contaminated by any other allergens.

I guess I’m baking today...

VelociRapture

I second whoever recommended the Nestle Tollhouse recipe. That’s the one I use and they always come out perfectly. 

And I’ve shared this one before, but here’s the peanut butter cookie recipe I use:

https://www.tasteslovely.com/dairy-free-peanut-butter-cookies/?epik=dj0yJnU9cXk2b0N2NWZsd1hGTzR3R0NxblRVZUUwell6d01Gbm8mbj1SREFTVktpYUpkUzkxVjNhUTk0d2NnJm09MyZ0PUFBQUFBRnlFSTZR

My SIL has to avoid dairy as much as she can and our friend is Gluten free by medical necessity, so this recipe is perfect when our group of friends gets together because it’s safe for both of them. 

Wifey4Lifey
2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Oddly (and very apropos to this thread drift), my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe is Hillary Clinton's that Family Circle published for the 1992 election. HRC had made a comment about not wanting to "just stay home and bake cookies"--got everyone's panties in a bunch. Family Circle then ran a contest between her cookie recipe and Barbara Bush's.  Anyhow . . .  long story short, HRC cookies are really really good.  Mr. Fortress just requests "Hillary Clintons" now.

These are my favorite chocolate chip cookies, too! It's what my mom always made for us when I was growing up. Didn't know until years later that they were HRC's cookies. 

Depressed
Sky with diamonds

Oatmeal cookies are a family favorite. I might make some later this afternoon.

SilverBeach
Posted (edited)

The best cookies I ever had were at Walt Disney World in 1995. While waiting to check into our hotel, we were given hot butter cookies, fresh from the oven. So tender, fresh, buttery, and delicious! We snarfed them up, then wanted more when we got in the room. I asked if we could buy some, they said no, not for sale. But we'll give you how ever many you want! They brought a basket full to our room. Good memories.

Edited by SilverBeach

Bad Wolf

@BeermeetThank you. Just sent it to our priest. I think he'll crack up too. If he doesnt, I don't think the Episcopal church excommunicates  people.

TheMustardCardigan

Besides family recipes, my favorite recipes for baking pretty much all come from the same online source: Sally’s Baking Addiction. I can make a recipe from her blog and know it will turn out amazing every time.