IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@nst,  I know that AGA is popular in the UK and that Merry Berry has one in her kitchen.  If I were going to spend the kind of money that I'd need for an AGA, I'd get a Lacanche Cluny.  Lacanche is hand built in Burgundy out of cast iron.  They're beautiful and they're workhorses.  With minimal electronics, they last a lifetime.  It's a range that you pass down to your kids.  (Blue Stars also have minimal electronics which is an advantage. )  Another range that I love is a vintage Magic Chef or Wedgewood with the bread warmer.  Jessica Fletcher has one on Murder She Wrote, but I fell in love with them on the old ABC show Family where there was one in the Lawrence kitchen.

I would have loved a Lacanche, but the cost was out of our price range.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Unpopular opinion ahead: Disposable dishes are really bad for the environment.

This is not at all an unpopular opinion.  And I expect even people who use them for more than emergency needs know that disposable items are not the environmentally sound choice. 

Another tip for anyone who really doesn't enjoy hand-washing dishes but doesn't fill the dishwasher often. If you fill one rack and use the light load setting, whatever it might be on your machine, maybe every other day, let's say, you'll still use less water and energy than hand-washing. Contemporary machines detect how much water to use and how long to run; even my 13 year-old one does that. If I run it at night on a light use day, with heavier dirtier things at the bottom and glasses on top, everything is clean and ready to put away in the morning, and the sink and countertop never needed clearing.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@nst,  I know that AGA is popular in the UK and that Merry Berry has one in her kitchen.  If I were going to spend the kind of money that I'd need for an AGA, I'd get a Lacanche Cluny.  Lacanche is hand built in Burgundy out of cast iron.  They're beautiful and they're workhorses.  With minimal electronics, they last a lifetime.  It's a range that you pass down to your kids.  (Blue Stars also have minimal electronics which is an advantage. )  Another range that I love is a vintage Magic Chef or Wedgewood with the bread warmer.  Jessica Fletcher has one on Murder She Wrote, but I fell in love with them on the old ABC show Family where there was one in the Lawrence kitchen.

My mother's friend has 2 in Whistler. One in the kitchen and one in the basement gathering dust.  I remember Jessica Fletcher !! 

I just looked up Lananche Cluny which is such a great name and I fell in love with a white one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I have a dishwasher,it's isn't working.I think we need a new one.I wash dishes by hand.

My fridge has an ice maker/water dispenser.I love it.

We have our laundry room off of the kitchen.When we looked at houses,we did see a few with the washer/dryer upstairs.I think that would be great.One thing we agreed on,was we did not want the washer/dryer in the garage.Our dryer went out last week,we had to get another element.So,for the first time in 5 and  a half years,I had to go to the laundromat to dry some towels.My son helped me.I agreed we don't miss the laundromat.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

@nst,  if you mom's friend wants to get rid of her stove, she can see if there are places around that restore vintage stoves that will buy it from her and do any restorations needed.  What vintage stove restoration folks do typically is restore metalwork and enamel, clean it up and convert the gas from pilot lights to automatic ignition.  Brett Waterman on Restored (American DIY network show) was restoring this 100+ year old house near Riverside, California and asked the family if they wanted their old 1940s vintage Wedgewood range restored.  They did (the mother loved this stove) and Brett sent to Antique Stove Heaven in LA for restoration.  It was beautiful!  Brett also uncovered the original linoleum floors in the kitchen and restored those.  They were gorgeous!

ETA:  There's a market for vintage stoves.  They're beautiful and were built to last.  

Edited by Destiny
remove accidental quote.
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 1

We are getting ready to put our house on the market this fall (hopefully) and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to find a mid century mod house with that 50's style kitchen. I covet this stove so much, I want one in this mint green or robin egg blue.   I would also l love an old 1910/20 farm house with the old kitchen I love this white stove as well. There is just something about these appliances, they have so much more character than the stuff we have today.  I'm not a huge fan of stainless steel, I just don't like the look of it, too industrial. I'm not a fan of the modern industrial home interior, it looks really cool, but it doesn't look homey and inviting, I prefer the more bohemain vintage, you know, shabby chic, but more colorful. 

1950's Vintage Kenmore Maid-O-Matic.png

antique-gas-stove-antique-gas-stoves-antique-gas-stoves-from-1920.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 12

13 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

We are getting ready to put our house on the market this fall (hopefully) and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to find a mid century mod house with that 50's style kitchen. I covet this stove so much, I want one in this mint green or robin egg blue.   I would also l love an old 1910/20 farm house with the old kitchen I love this white stove as well. There is just something about these appliances, they have so much more character than the stuff we have today.  I'm not a huge fan of stainless steel, I just don't like the look of it, too industrial. I'm not a fan of the modern industrial home interior, it looks really cool, but it doesn't look homey and inviting, I prefer the more bohemain vintage, you know, shabby chic, but more colorful. 

I want the bottom one.

I have a request.  I want to buy a new mixer.  Love my old Kitchenaid, but I would like a bigger one.  Has anyone had good luck with the newer ones?  Thanks!

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, ElToro said:

Another UEA graduate here!

I'll always remember driving away from my childhood home in Brixton, looking up at a sign proudly proclaiming "Brixton. Saying no to crack and smack".... Then arriving at "Norwich. A fine city."

I liked that it never bragged or overplayed itself... It was just...fine... (and there was less crack and smack knocking about!)

Im just the Mother of the UEA Grad, but I totally agree, Norwich is a very fine city ? 

• Upvote 2

I would love to find a mid-century modern house...but the one neighborhood that has them is WAY out of our price range. The two floor plans we're looking at right now lend themselves to a more contemporary vibe. I thoroughly detest the thought of trying to find furniture. See, very little of what we have now is going to make it to the new house. It's all old, beat to shit from moving and cats, and/or cheap. 

Any suggestions on where to start looking? 

• Upvote 2

Both of those stoves are gorgeous, @allthegoodnamesrgone.  If you do have to get a more recent stove, you can always take it to an auto body shop to have it painted.  For a fridge or dishwasher,  there are vinyl wraps that you can use since they don't get that hot.  There's also the option of getting panel-ready fridges and dishwashers.  

I'd like to know when 30" became the default size for the home range.  Many of the vintage ones are 40" or even bigger and have two or  more evens.  Like the stove in the top photo, they might even have a fifth or sixth burner. There was a recent discussion on Houzz about color in appliances.  Some high-end names (Viking and Blue Star) now offer customization in colors  while Big Chill (retro line  made by Blue Star), Lacanche, La Cornue, AGA, Bertrazonni (and some other Italian makes) have made colored appliances for years.  Some of the Italian makers are not horribly expensive and Berta's Ferrari red ranges are really Ferrari red.  Yep, they are painted at the Ferrari factory.

@Granwych, what size KA do you have now and what size are you hoping to get?  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

40 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Both of those stoves are gorgeous, @allthegoodnamesrgone.  If you do have to get a more recent stove, you can always take it to an auto body shop to have it painted.  For a fridge or dishwasher,  there are vinyl wraps that you can use since they don't get that hot.  There's also the option of getting panel-ready fridges and dishwashers.  

I'd like to know when 30" became the default size for the home range.  Many of the vintage ones are 40" or even bigger and have two or  more evens.  Like the stove in the top photo, they might even have a fifth or sixth burner. There was a recent discussion on Houzz about color in appliances.  Some high-end names (Viking and Blue Star) now offer customization in colors  while Big Chill (retro line  made by Blue Star), Lacanche, La Cornue, AGA, Bertrazonni (and some other Italian makes) have made colored appliances for years.  Some of the Italian makers are not horribly expensive and Berta's Ferrari red ranges are really Ferrari red.  Yep, they are painted at the Ferrari factory.

@Granwych, what size KA do you have now and what size are you hoping to get?  

My Kitchen aid is about 25 years old, works wonderfully, but only holds up to 5 cups.  I'll be checking out the LA lineup to see if any of the larger-capacity ones have any bad reviews.   Thanks for replying!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

They exist! We looked at two houses with them. One of them had been shipped to California, restored, and shipped back. That house was owned by the head chef at a local restaurant. The other was in an old and beautiful house that was cheaply flipped in a process that stripped the house of its glory and beauty. The stove still worked so they left it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I would love to find a mid-century modern house...but the one neighborhood that has them is WAY out of our price range. The two floor plans we're looking at right now lend themselves to a more contemporary vibe. I thoroughly detest the thought of trying to find furniture. See, very little of what we have now is going to make it to the new house. It's all old, beat to shit from moving and cats, and/or cheap. 

Any suggestions on where to start looking? 

Leaving most of my stuff behind too - if too old and ugly to be worth moving it’s going to the curb.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

My Kitchen aid is about 25 years old, works wonderfully, but only holds up to 5 cups.  I'll be checking out the LA lineup to see if any of the larger-capacity ones have any bad reviews.   Thanks for replying!

mine holds like 4-5 quarts. Bought it about 10 years ago. I think I got it at either Target or Kohl's. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

@Granwych,  It sounds like we have the same model of KA mixer.  Mine's only 20 years old though.  I wish they still made attachments for the 5 quart bowl-lift models.  I'm not interested so much in the pasta or sausage stuffer attachments, but I would like to be able to replace my whisk, etc if I ever misplace it.  I'd also like to be able to buy a glass bowl for the mixer.  Sometimes a glass bowl would be nice.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 5/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My husband is also prone to using the same coffee mug for a week before he lets it get washed. Ick.  :puke-front: 

Ooooh my SO is the same!!! I usually use my tea mug for three rounds of tea and then I wash it, because the tea stains look really unappetizing. My SO couldn't care less. The longest he has gone with his mug without him or me washing it was 10 days :puke-front: (I now just wash his mug whenever I see it unattended, just so I know that it gets washed regularly ?)

Edited by Marly
  • Upvote 5

I am guilty of the repeat use of a mug and water canister. I rinse and repeat. The hubs will use the same glass for weeks if allowed.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Marly said:

I usually use my tea mug for three rounds of tea and then I wash it, because the tea stains look really unappetizing.

I'm about the same with my tea mug/cup, but I definitely use a new one every morning. It isn't like we don't have an over abundance of mugs. They seem to multiply when I'm not looking! 

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm about the same with my tea mug/cup, but I definitely use a new one every morning. It isn't like we don't have an over abundance of mugs. They seem to multiply when I'm not looking! 

Use another mug? Expend the energy to open and reach up into the cabinet, and risk knocking over one of the tower’s of mugs stacked up? Hell no. ? 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Use another mug? Expend the energy to open and reach up into the cabinet, and risk knocking over one of the tower’s of mugs stacked up? Hell no. ? 

My dad does that with his coffee mug. He uses the same mug every morning for coffee and at lunch for milk. He rinses it out after he uses it and leaves it on the counter. I try not to be grossed out at the idea of coffee tasting milk and think he's crazy. He thinks I'm crazy for thinking that's crazy. I guess whatever works for you. About every three or four weeks he puts in the dishwasher to be washed.

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

My dad does that with his coffee mug. He uses the same mug every morning for coffee and at lunch for milk. He rinses it out after he uses it and leaves it on the counter. I try not to be grossed out at the idea of coffee tasting milk and think he's crazy. He thinks I'm crazy for thinking that's crazy. I guess whatever works for you. About every three or for weeks he puts in the dishwasher to be washed.

Is your dad 60 years old? I might know him, ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Is your dad 60 years old? I might know him, ? 

He's 68. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

He's 68. 

I am not propositioning your dad, but I’d marry a man who was that judicious about not dirtying more dishes.

i was raised and have raised a family where it’s a new cup for every drink and a new towel for every shower and ...I spend a lot of time doing dishes and laundry.

• Upvote 8

36 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

He's 68. 

It’s a generational thing. We are too old and tired to give a shite

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I am not propositioning your dad, but I’d marry a man who was that judicious about not dirtying more dishes.

i was raised and have raised a family where it’s a new cup for every drink and a new towel for every shower and ...I spend a lot of time doing dishes and laundry.

Ah, hell, no! Cut the damn chord!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

DH uses a new mug for every cup of tea or coffee. Last night I put 4 mugs in the dishwasher.  On the weekend he can go through 8 or 9 cups in a day, it drives me nuts because I'm always the one that has to load and unload the dishwasher.  I don't drink coffee or tea, but I'll use one glass for soda and one for water all day long. If I'm using a portable bottle for my water I'll use it for days.  I'll rinse it out and wipe it off every other day or so, or if I'm wearing lipstick I'll rinse and wipe it down at each refill. 

• Upvote 7

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic