IGNORED

Seewalds 39: Piping in on the IKEA conversation

samurai_sarah

I'm looking for a good suggestion for bras in Canada. The US is *rightthere* but I don't want to drive a half hour to get to the border, to drive a half hour to fight to put on bras. 

I'm a 40F but also have to have a low ... whatever that thing is in the center - because my boobs are spaced weirdly and if that center piece is too tall - it just sticks straight up.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

One would have thought Ben and Jessa might have posted a message on social media about the Notre-Dame Cathedral fire since they spent their honeymoon in Paris and would have visited there, no doubt. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Markie said:

One would have thought Ben and Jessa might have posted a message on social media about the Notre-Dame Cathedral fire since they spent their honeymoon in Paris and would have visited there, no doubt. 

Why though? I've been to Notre Dame and I didn't post about it on social media. It's a tragedy no doubt, but what is the point in posting about it? I doubt they would go to Notre Dame anyway, it's Catholic and they are both very anti Catholic.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

I’m not sure why? Don’t get me wrong, I’m as horrified by the whole thing as the next person and did talk about it both here in the thread here, on FB (on other people’s posts), and IRL. I’m not catholic but like I said on the thread on the topic I believe things like that belong to the world and was in tears much of yesterday at the potential loss to humanity. All that said, making a post on social media never occurred to me. I only posted on my status here because I knew someone here would understand my horror and commiserate with me. 

Tl;dr I don’t see the need for them to make a statement. 

• Upvote 11

They probably don't care very much. Ancient cultural monuments don't mean much to them. With their limited education they might not even understand why this is such a tragedy. Plus it is a  church where evil Catholics go to worship, in a country far away from them. In fact I hope they don't make a statement. They just don't get it and I certainly don't want to hear anything they might have to say about this. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

Why Should they?  It means nothing to any of them A Catholic Church thousands of miles way. I might even say they and Jeremy in particular see a Catholic Church filled with idols and built for idol worshipping and think God  was acting.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I just thought it might bring back memories for them. I am not Catholic but the fire brought back my memories of visiting Paris 30 years ago. I’m sure the beauty of Notre-Dame was not lost on them even if they are not Catholic. Perhaps it is best for Jessa to post nice pictures of her family. That part of social media has been good for her image. A message that could be insincere would not be good for her brand image. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I guarantee at least one of the fundies that we follow will repost that picture of the cross and altar that survived the fire, though.

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 1

I don't expect a post from them. While they are not fans of Catholicism, I doubt they are going to be happy the building has been destroyed. Ben and Jessa may have enjoyed Paris and seeing the buildings but they don't come across as people into architecture and design. 

• Upvote 8

I was absolutely horrified about what happened at Notre Dame, I nearly cried,but I didn't post about it on Social Media. As someone who has a background in Folklore and Cultural Resource Management, I hope that tragedy at Notre Dame makes people think about the historical buildings in their own backyards. We can save some things, we cannot save everything, but I love old buildings. Specially, I love churches. Someday, I will bore you all to death with my many many pictures of churches. So many churches! 

That being said, join your local historic societies if you have one, and make sure that you are a part of keeping our history with us! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I was absolutely horrified about what happened at Notre Dame, I nearly cried,but I didn't post about it on Social Media. As someone who has a background in Folklore and Cultural Resource Management, I hope that tragedy at Notre Dame makes people think about the historical buildings in their own backyards. We can save some things, we cannot save everything, but I love old buildings. Specially, I love churches. Someday, I will bore you all to death with my many many pictures of churches. So many churches! 

That being said, join your local historic societies if you have one, and make sure that you are a part of keeping our history with us! 

Speaking of, there were soooooo many cops at St Patricks this morning. IDK if it's because of Easter or the fire but I think they're just checking everything out to make sure it's fine. St Patricks had similar renovations done a few years ago. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

St. Patricks had similar renovations done a few years ago. 

Cardinal Dolan was on the Today Show this morning and the FDNY advised him to get a misting system and other fire retardants when the renovations were done. (Which they did).

Also from https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cardinal-dolan-what-would-i-be-doing-if-st-patricks-was-burning-like-notre-dame-2019-04-16

• Upvote 4

They are beautiful boys. I hope their lives aren't ruined by their Grandparents in the same way uncle Joshua's was. 

• I Agree 4

10 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Cardinal Dolan was on the Today Show this morning and the FDNY advised him to get a misting system and other fire retardants when the renovations were done. (Which they did).

Also from https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cardinal-dolan-what-would-i-be-doing-if-st-patricks-was-burning-like-notre-dame-2019-04-16

The Glasgow School of Art went up in flames for the second time, just before sprinkler systems were put in it. I think a lot of buildings that don't have any systems in place currently will be getting them in now.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Late replying to the topic of Jessa's Insta post about homeschool books:

Teaching Textbooks is solid, get-the-job-done, perfect for kids whose parents can't or won't teach math. 

Ambleside Online is big on not using textbooks. My kid actually did Ambleside in 7th grade, here were some items on her booklist:

History: Churchill's Birth of Britain, Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People

Literature: Watership Down, The Age of Chivalry (Bullfinch), The Once and Future King

Ambleside, when followed correctly, is pretty good. The student is supposed to write daily "narrations" that are a re-telling of their readings for that day. They're supposed to keep a "Commonplace book" and write down meaningful quotes from their readings, a timeline so they can see the historical dates in context, and do map exercises so they understand the geography of the places they're reading about. 

I was a terrible homeschool mom, so I threw my kid a list of reading assignments every week and hoped for the best. The kid is now in a private school and much happier. But honestly, if the Duggar kids are being given books from the Ambleside booklist, they're way better off than I thought.

Edited by Abstract
Typo
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

On 4/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, Meggo said:

I'm looking for a good suggestion for bras in Canada. The US is *rightthere* but I don't want to drive a half hour to get to the border, to drive a half hour to fight to put on bras. 

I buy all my bras at Addition Elle - I love the brand Deesse. 

1 hour ago, Abstract said:

Late replying to the topic of Jessa's Insta post about homeschool books:

Teaching Textbooks is solid, get-the-job-done, perfect for kids whose parents can't or won't teach math. 

Ambleside Online is big on not using textbooks. My kid actually did Ambleside in 7th grade, here were some items on her booklist:

History: Churchill's Birth of Britain, Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People

Literature: Watership Down, The Age of Chivalry (Bullfinch), The Once and Future King

Ambleside, when followed correctly, is pretty good. The student is supposed to write daily "narrations" that are a re-telling of their readings for that day. They're supposed to keep a "Commonplace book" and write down meaningful quotes from their readings, a timeline so they can see the historical dates in context, and do map exercises so they understand the geography of the places they're reading about. 

I was a terrible homeschool mom, so I threw my kid a list of reading assignments every week and hoped for the best. The kid is now in a private school and much happier. But honestly, if the Duggar kids are being given books from the Ambleside booklist, they're way better off than I thought.

When did she post about her homeschooling plans? I keep forgetting that that is part of the plan for all the babies being born. Most of them are too young, I guess and the m kids are out of focus.

• Upvote 1

@medimus Jessa made a post about the younger duggar still at home, not the 3 gen. 

From Jer/Jed down to Josie

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, medimus said:

When did she post about her homeschooling plans? I keep forgetting that that is part of the plan for all the babies being born. Most of them are too young, I guess and the m kids are out of focus.

It was on Instagram, someone posted screenshots on this thread a few pages back. She was posting about what her younger siblings use for homeschooling.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

@Meggo where are you located? Most of my busty friends buy their bras at Change Lingerie. There are four locations in the Vancouver area, and I believe they go up to a K cup.

The Seewald boys on the swing are too cute.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 1

@Abstract, if some Duggar kids get to read Watership Down, that is a very good thing.   The rabbits have their own language and culture including their own gods.  The young rabbit, Fiver, is a seer who knows that the rabbits of Sandleford Warren must find a new warren because their home is about to be destroyed.  Watership Down is a  pretty magical book for the Duggarlings to be reading.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

@Meggo where are you located? Most of my busty friends buy their bras at Change Lingerie. There are four locations in the Vancouver area, and I believe they go up to a K cup.

The Seewald boys on the swing are too cute.

Southwestern Ontario. Where it's nearly a desert of stores because people generally just go stateside. :(

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

Southwestern Ontario. Where it's nearly a desert of stores because people generally just go stateside. :(

Like Toronto? There are so many great lingerie shops in the city.  My big busted BFF goes there even though Buffalo is probably closer to her place.

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic