IGNORED

Australian response to US fundy

Lurky

A three-man US evangelism team hit up a train in Sydney, and to be honest, the reaction is surprisingly polite.  It's the smug preacher's caption that this is "fierce", but my favourite part is the obviously planted guy "spontaneously" giving his testimony at the end, and the fact they put this video up think it makes them look *good*!

If you don't want to give them clicks, US dude starts preaching, older Aussie dude with book basically tells him to stop pushing his opinions on other people, and that no one cares.  The rest of the commuters are definitely on older man's side.  I love that man!

I also appreciate how he starts saying it'll only take 3 minutes, and angrily says he's not angry. 

"I'm not angry" "You sound angry" "I'm not, I'm angry that you're so..." "so you are angry?"

Wondering what would happen on a commuter train in London.  Either people very deliberately obeying London etiquette and studiously pretending he didn't exist, or getting loudly mocked!

Older guy is the best!

If this idiot preacher was halfway as loving as he claims to be, he’d shut up for 5 minutes and listen to others, rather than yell constantly.

There’s also a video in the city of him telling someone in a wheelchair that their pride is getting in the way of Jesus reaching them (with the understanding that no Jesus = being disabled!) He got yelled at twice though for that comment ... [emoji7]

In my experience most regular train commuters believe that silence is golden. I've seen people get into actual fights on the DC metro because someone was listening to music without headphones. Not that you don't get loud idiots anyway, but there's typically going to be a response of "shut the fuck up!"

I love how the dude asks the older guy if he's "triggered." What better way to show people that you care about them and aren't just trying to provoke a reaction from people than... internet troll slang?

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I love how the dude asks the older guy if he's "triggered." What better way to show people that you care about them and aren't just trying to provoke a reaction from people than... internet troll slang?

It was so ridiculous - it's a deliberate insult used by (in general) right wingers, but as so often happens, it made no sense in the context, because the older guy wasn't angry about hearing about US bloke's views on abortion, he was angry that someone was violating all the norms of public transport! 

The best bit?  That sort of thing is illegal on Sydney public transport, per the comments on the YT, because of other passengers being a captive audience.  So it was great to see a whole load of people have reported him to the relevant authorities, and I hope he gets fined.  There are some great comments pulling out scriptural references to show how the evangelists are being unbiblical....

IME, the ones complaining about “special snowflakes” are themselves the biggest ones.

Did he really think this approach would be well received? Talk about not reading the room. What was his aim? Did he achieve it, or did he do harm to his cause? I think we all know the answer to that.

Also, I thought it was illegal to do that on trains in Sydney? 

Yes - from a comment: Passenger Transport Amendment (Passenger Conduct) Regulation 2013 - Division 2 section 50 part C.

Wait, he was filming illegally too. Ha. Someone needs to send the footage to the police, since he has his PayPal link in the description.

https://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/do-i-need-permission-to-film-in-a-public-place/

56 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

The humble bragging and rage filled reply sure was inspiring.....not.  

Yeah it really shows how he ‘always tries to show godly love’ as per the start of the video. 

Reminds me a bit of a certain fellow Jesus warned against - the one shouting on the corner, which He then warns Christians not to be like.

That made my day!  That tool was so rude. I love hearing the back up older guy got!!!  Just stfu!  Really. That easy. The 2nd guy was so his buddy. Get a life guys. Bugging people on trains, declaring them morally inferior and being a 8===Dick is never going to spark the holy spirit, brotard. 

I ❤ Australia 

In general, despite what social media would have you believe, I think most people, regardless of identity, dislike rudeness and inconsiderateness.  And this guy displayed both.  

So proud of my fellow Aussies on that train!

I used to make the peak hour train commute in Sydney for years. I truly believe that Australian public transport users (Sydney, Melbourne especially come to mind) are generally some of the most friendly and easy to be around compared to any major city in the world that I've been to. You can share a laugh with the people around you if something funny or weird happens, people don't look at you like you're mad if you make a general comment about something, but they also don't take too much bull shit. I've had other commuters tell guys to "pull ya head in, mate" when a guy is being a creep or not taking no for an answer from another female passenger or myself, and I once had a guy just like the older man in this video tell a male JW that "any God who doesn't preach respect for other people's space and time must be a real asshole and mate, whatever you're selling- that's not the way to bloody sell it if you want good results" who was basically throwing Watchtower pamphlets at me and telling me that I'd be punished for eternity for my debauchery when I was trying to focus on reading a document I needed to before the meeting I was about to attend at work.

There are fundies in Australia but they're a huge minority. Even Christians that actually attend church weekly are a rarity in most of Australia. The general apathy and 'go with the flow' and 'she'll be right mate' attitude of many Australians can be frustrating sometimes when you want people to care just a little more about something but it's also a strength. The reaction of everyone on that train is when it becomes a strength :) 

What I think is weird is that this video was apparently posted by this shouting asshole. Why can't preachers understand that shouting never works.  Nor do tracts.   I loved how so many people could not wait to get off at the next stop.  

8 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

What I think is weird is that this video was apparently posted by this shouting asshole.

I think he legitimately thinks that it shows him having to face persecution, and will make his followers give him more money?  I don't get it either, because the comments are overwhelmingly that the 3-man evangelical teams are arseholes, breaking a ton of laws re soliciting on public transport and filming without permission, and stupid and rude, to boot.  But I guess to a pampered, privileged white man, having someone tell him to stop is exactly what persecution means.

Archived