IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

Maybe feeling uncomfortable around a parent is normal in Duggarland. Remember Jordyn trying to edge away from the strange lady who was gushing about her birthday dress they'd found at a thrift store? You wouldn't know that was her mother, well bio mother.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

So her kid is able to pull a stool up to a counter where you've got scissors just lying around? Nice parenting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 1

Israel does seem a little more playful and happy around Jill.  He's already learned that fake smile for pictures that some kids have, and it's obvious versus his real smile.  

Derick acts like such an asshole in so many videos where he's with them (that I've seen)... kneeling in one place and boredly "swordfighting" while bloviating about how to correctly swordfight (with a complaint that the blow-up sword toys aren't stiff, LOLOL), bloviating about the correct way to play in the snow while his kid is clearly cold/uncomfortable/has no gloves, holding down one kid who wants to run away, 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

Happy FJ Anniversary to those of us who joined during the wait for Isreal's birth.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 9

These are cute posts from Jill.  I actually really like her floral cardigan, but I think I can find one with a similar pattern that has a better fit for me (it fits Jill great, but I carry a lot of bizarre arm weight and I can tell this has a narrow fit on the arms and shoulders).

For me, Jill's pregnancy with Izzy seemed like the longest and most obnoxious Duggar pregnancy ever, and still today I'd probably rank it that way.  There was a lot of "Pride Goeth Before the Fall" with that pregnancy, and I actually feel bad for Jill in that regard.  It wasn't her fault the way the bottom started to fall out of everything during Izzy's pregnancy (though she did handle the birth dangerously poorly), and while she was rather over the top and a bit prideful in her excitement with her immediate conception of her first child...she was young, and it was understandable.  So for those of us who were around and sick of Jill/Derick's better than you nonsense already, this was truly a blessed day!

And to Izzy, happy birthday!  You survived your mother's dangerous medical neglect and 70 hours of labor with nary a scratch.  You're a survivor, kiddo, and you just keep on surviving and thriving and overcoming all the Duggar Dangerous Decisions(tm) you are subject to.  I believe in you!

• Upvote 25
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Look Jill did another cute insta post.  

That’s it. She hit five good posts in a row. The Rapture is obviously upon us. Farewell FJ and best of luck to you all!

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 13
  • Haha 41
  • Love 2

After I noticed how cute, sneaky, and devious Sam is, I noticed those HUGE, FLOPPY bedroom slippers he had on and thought, "how can you walk in those things?"

The only question remaining is, did he pick 'em or did Jill?

And how sad is, "Sam's doing something very bad!"

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I don't blame Sam for stealing the chocolate cake, I just hope he wasn't in much trouble for it. 

In my house the rule was that if you left anything like cake or chocolate, in the fridge or in the kitchen, then don't expect it to stay in the kitchen for long. When my brother still lived with us and delivered milk early, he would eat my packed lunch for school and treats that were in it.

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

After I noticed how cute, sneaky, and devious Sam is, I noticed those HUGE, FLOPPY bedroom slippers he had on and thought, "how can you walk in those things?"

The only question remaining is, did he pick 'em or did Jill?

And how sad is, "Sam's doing something very bad!"

I mean, Izzy just turned 4. What he thinks is “really bad” probably isn’t the same as what a grown adult would consider “really bad.” I’d classify this as hysterical and “not even mad, just impressed” (because Sam showed initiative and drive to accomplish this), but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dills didn’t necessarily agree with that assessment.

And Sam could be wearing Izzy’s slippers. He might have wanted to wear them if he sees Izzy wearing them a lot. That’s pretty typical little sibling behavior. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So her kid is able to pull a stool up to a counter where you've got scissors just lying around? Nice parenting. 

Sometimes kids do things you don’t expect them to do. This could have been the first time Sam dragged the bench over on his own. I’m not going to criticize them when the scissors normally would have been well out of his reach. 

• Upvote 25

My two year old loooooves putting on other people's shoes and walking around in them. It's pretty cute. 

• Upvote 17

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

My two year old loooooves putting on other people's shoes and walking around in them. It's pretty cute. 

I remember doing that at age 3 and 4. My own kiddo loves putting on Grandpa's shoes, and baseball hat. She also loves carrying around Grandma's watering can or rain boots (don't ask me why)  Or kiddo will try on my own sun hats and heels. She giggles and tries to walk around in them. LOVES my necklaces, thankfully hasn't discovered my makeup...yet!

Edited by SassyPantswithASideofClass
  • Upvote 13

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

That’s it. She hit five good posts in a row. The Rapture is obviously upon us. Farewell FJ and best of luck to you all!

It's like she all of a sudden discovered how to use the settings on a camera.  Good for her!  Maybe it will transfer to her food postings.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I actually liked Izzy's birthday party. With a family that size I think it would be very easy to overwhelm the child with the birthday, so if the child just has the cousins and the aunt or Uncle of the cousins closest to them in age I think that would be a whole lot more fun for a 4 year old then having the whole family there.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

After I saw that post, I literally came back here to see if we'd hit that Rapture-inducing five that was mentioned earlier. ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

Izzy looked like he had a fun party at the park, and that makes me happy.  It's so important that that he get to be the center of attention at least once in awhile.  It can be hard to compete when you have a naturally cutie-pie younger brother like Sam. 

Agree that there must be tension between JB and Derrick/Jill - why have the party at a park instead of at the Duggar compound?  Even though I think Derrick is a jackass, JB is the one who brought him into the family circle so if he's purposely choosing to avoid being around not only Derrick, but Jill and the grandkids, that makes JB the bigger jackass of the two (and that's quite a feat!). 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

And how sad is, "Sam's doing something very bad!

My 4 year old says things like this all the time. "Mom, dad's behaving baaaad" (AKA dad wears shoes while sitting in the sofa or isn't letting him choose the TV program). 

We are all worried about fundie discipline and fearing those kids are beaten. But Jill has only 2 kids and maybe they are more normal than we think. I hope. A little bit.

• Upvote 19

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Look Jill did another cute insta post.  

Congrats to Sam. He clearly has better sense than his mother, as he ate the cupcake in the kitchen, and not the bathroom.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 26

I kind of loved seeing Sammy eating that cupcake. Props to you kid for showing initiative and perseverance. I am 100% in support of cupcakes for breakfast.  They may very well have had the birthday at the park simply because the weather is getting so nice. I wouldn't be surprised if there is tension between JB and Derrick for "biting the hand that feeds the Duggars." I just don't necessarily think having Isreal's birthday at a park instead of the Duggar compound is proof of that. 

• Upvote 18

At Izzy's age, taking something without permission may equal stealing, and stealing is "very bad".  Those were also Izzy's leftover cupcakes, so if he sees them as "his" and therefore Sam is taking "his" stuff without permission, that's also pretty close to the "very bad" behavior of stealing and might be considered "very bad" by Izzy because those might be HIS treat that Sam is unfairly taking.  So while we as adults may see Sam's behavior as innocent, pre-schoolers like Izzy are more likely to view things in black and white and see this as Sam being very naughty.  Cupcake related offenses are often weighted more seriously by kids than adults in general, though I also tend to find it a "very bad" offense if someone eats my food.  

It's also easier for Izzy to tell Jill that Sam is being "very bad" than to tell her that he's eating the cupcakes off the counter, and time was clearly of the essence here.  Trying to explain the offense takes longer, Izzy may be somewhat distressed by the situation, and it's pretty common for kids to call for mom on the basis of someone being "bad" rather than specifying the offense succinctly.  "Mommy, hurry, Sam's doing something bad!" is exactly the kind of communication I would expect from most 4 year olds.  

I don't see this as anything nefarious.  I think this is a pretty standard communication from a 4 year old watching his brother eat the last of his birthday cupcakes.  

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 17

Did Jill start wearing pants after Derrick was kicked off of Counting On? Bc that would make sense, she doesn't have to put on a show anymore, pun intended.

• Upvote 1

I think having it at the park instead of the house is more special, and it also makes it more invitation-only. The TTC might have been full of the teenage boys and their friends. If it was on a weekday, I don’t think it’s a huge deal that JB and Derick prioritized work and school. 

• Upvote 8

When my brother was about 2, my dad had bought my mom teuscher (ridiculously expensive truffles) for their anniversary and walked into the kitchen to find my brother stuffing his face with them. We're talking full on chipmunk checks with chocolate dripping down his chin. Pretty sure he ate like $30 worth of chocolate. My parents just laughed it off.

We do joke that his super power is that he can always find the most expensive thing in a refrigerator.

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

When I worked for Godiva twenty years ago it was like $20ish a lb. If the candy was 'off' we could write it off.

Now, the interpretation for off in the world of fine candy is ... um... if it's slightly melted, broken, past the expired/pull date. Or, well we had a 'sampling' budget.

This was the case at See's too. (Particularly the sampling part - because they sample a piece to everyone who walks in the door)

Needless to say, damaged candy did not ever hit the trash. My brother and his friends were in the peak of their cannabis consumption at that moment in life.

There was definitely a moment where it dawned on him how much the bags of milk chocolate truffles I was trading him for weed were actually worth.

It's unfortunate that the quality of Godiva has deteriorated as they have expanded into the grocery stores. (I haven't had a boutique piece in some time.) The price per lb. is up to 50. Back then, of course, people from Europe would come in and tell me how it was inferior to the European product.

See's still is pretty good.  I worked there in 2003-2005. It was 12/13 a lb. Now it's 30. Crazy. I think I would get that though. They are keeping the brand more consistent and not expanding everywhere.

Candy rant over.

• Upvote 20
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Deleorean88mph said:

Did Jill start wearing pants after Derrick was kicked off of Counting On? Bc that would make sense, she doesn't have to put on a show anymore, pun intended.

She did, I believe, but it was well after Jinger (who is of course still on the show) had already started wearing pants publicly, so I'm not sure the show was the reason.

"Skirts-only" has stopped being trendy with the conservative Christian crowd, many of whom are seeking to be more social-media savy and trendy with a Christian bent rather than standing out by having extra-strict clothing rules.  I think it was less of an "I'm off the show!  Now I can do whatever!" and more of an "Everyone is doing it, all my friends are wearing pants, my sister is wearing pants, and I'd like to give it a try/fit in with everyone".  

Lots of fundies have started wearing pants recently, and I always just saw Jill as part of that overall trend.  Which isn't to diminish her efforts, because I think it's great that she feels able to explore trends that are counter to how she was raised.  That's probably big for Jill.  But I think it's likely that she did it more because it's the norm now, especially in mega-church communities like Cross Church, and she was just dressing like her friends.  

• Upvote 18

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

When I worked for Godiva twenty years ago it was like $20ish a lb. If the candy was 'off' we could write it off.

Now, the interpretation for off in the world of fine candy is ... um... if it's slightly melted, broken, past the expired/pull date. Or, well we had a 'sampling' budget.

This was the case at See's too. (Particularly the sampling part - because they sample a piece to everyone who walks in the door)

Needless to say, damaged candy did not ever hit the trash. My brother and his friends were in the peak of their cannabis consumption at that moment in life.

There was definitely a moment where it dawned on him how much the bags of milk chocolate truffles I was trading him for weed were actually worth.

It's unfortunate that the quality of Godiva has deteriorated as they have expanded into the grocery stores. (I haven't had a boutique piece in some time.) The price per lb. is up to 50. Back then, of course, people from Europe would come in and tell me how it was inferior to the European product.

See's still is pretty good.  I worked there in 2003-2005. It was 12/13 a lb. Now it's 30. Crazy. I think I would get that though. They are keeping the brand more consistent and not expanding everywhere.

Candy rant over.

My husband started working for a local candy store right after we started dating. They had a similar policy where they encouraged the store employees to sample the candy (so they could give better recommendations if asked) and broken candy was sent home with the employees because they didn’t want to waste it. My husband’s college roommate got a job in the same store shortly after my husband did, so they had a constant candy stash for movie nights in their room. It was awesome. 

My husband's younger brother is dating a woman (who we hope will be a SIL one day) who works in the company’s factory packaging the candy. I think they’re encouraged to have a bit of the product as well and she gets a discount on merchandise, so we still have a candy hookup. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

• Georgiana locked this topic