IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I don't blame her for killing a wasp in her house at all. I mean, how are you supposed to catch it and put it outside? But I also would never make a damn instagram post about it! It would be like posting about dusting or making toast or  cleaning out a caat box. 

Is this a genuine question?! You put a glass over it and slide a piece of paper underneath, then carry glass and paper outside to release. Probably easier than killing one. Our global insect population is declining at an alarming rate, every pollinator counts! 

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

If I wasp came into my house, the wasp would live there now, and I would have to find somewhere else to live. The wasp won. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 38
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I don't blame her for killing a wasp in her house at all. I mean, how are you supposed to catch it and put it outside? But I also would never make a damn instagram post about it! It would be like posting about dusting or making toast or  cleaning out a caat box. 

Exactly.  I have killed the occasional wasp and other bugs in my home.  I've never shared that on FB (don't have Instagram) because who cares?  Plus, I don't feel like pointing out that my life is boring.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

I am more disturbed that People magazine made it into content.

Really. 

Somewhere deep in my crap I have a laminated feature article I shared with my fifth grade class about Ryan White. He was the little boy who got HiV then AIDS via blood transfusion. (from People) This was back in 1989.  I’m fairly sure that was some of my earliest understanding of what it was all about.

Things change.

• Upvote 15

When I was helping my  siister and brothers clean out my mom's house after she died,  I was stung by 3 dozen yellowjackets when we moved an old box that served as a cat bed on the back porch.  My sister had it much worse though: she got 6 dozen stings.  Fortunately, we'd turned the water on so we could  strip off and jump in the shower while out oldest brother and a sister-in-law who's a nurse beat the yellow jackets off us.  That was the end of house cleaning for that day.  My sister's husband came over midweek and bombed the yellowjacket nest in the cat bed.  My sister and I should have gone to the ER, but we did not.  I do know that I had the most miserable, painful night I've ever had.   

My husband, who has a doctorate in entomology, said several years ago that it would be fine with him if yellowjackets  went extinct.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 5
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

When I was helping my  siister and brothers clean out my mom's house after she died,  I was stung by 3 dozen yellowjackets when we moved an old box that served as a cat bed on the back porch.  My sister had it much worse though: she got 6 dozen stings.  Fortunately, we'd turned the water on so we could  strip off and jump in the shower while out oldest brother and a sister-in-law who's a nurse beat the yellow jackets off us.  That was the end of house cleaning for that day.  My sister's husband came over midweek and bombed the yellowjacket nest in the cat bed.  My sister and I should have gone to the ER, but we did not.  I do know that I had the most miserable, painful night I've ever had.   

My husband, who has a doctorate in entomology, said several years ago that it would be fine with him if yellowjackets  went extinct.

Same exact thing happened to me, 2 dozen stings while moving a roll of old carpeting. This was 30 years ago and the sound of a YJ still gives me actual goosebumps. Last year I was out hiking about 3 miles from home and a YJ got into my jacket and stung me in the chest repeatedly. My chest burned for weeks. It was so painful! I hate YJs.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

I bounced off a trampoline and landed on either a wasp or a bee. My foot had a baseball size bump on it for the better part of a week. 

If I think I can get a wasp or bee outside without getting stung, I’ll attempt it. But the first time it comes for me, all bets are off. Plus my daughter is terrified of anything that stings. If she is in any danger of getting stung I opt to kill it outright. It’s not worth her having a panic attack and then nightmares. 

I try to do my part for bees in other ways. I don’t mow down the dandelions until after the last frost. Little things like that.

• Upvote 12

When we were kids there was small hole in my brother's room in the wall by the window and one time bees built their nest in that exact spot. One day he came out of his room saying there were bees coming into his room. And yes there were bees. Lots of them.

10 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

If I wasp came into my house, the wasp would live there now, and I would have to find somewhere else to live. The wasp won. 

That's pretty much my brother and my reaction to Bees even as adults we haven't gotten over our fear of bees. He always makes his wife take care of them and I call Dad.

19 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Congratulations and sincere love and wishes for healthy pregnancies!

I said in the Zsu thread that we were trying for #2. I found out a few days ago that our baby has no heartbeat. Sometimes I wonder wtf I'm doing wrong but the doctors say since I've had a healthy child, everything works. So, I'm looking forward. I also am so deeply grateful for babypearl,I really would be okay if that's all the universe ever gave me.

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I hate wasps. I try to kill them when they are in my house or bothering me in the garden. Bees are okay, they stay around my plants and flowers for the most part. And they are doing something useful. 

Wasps are the worst.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

13 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

They aren’t very good pollinators because they don’t have as much hair as bees do - they simply don’t carry pollen around well. I think they’re actually more useful for pest control though. I believe they eat bugs that feed on crops, which is important. That said, wasps are mean MOFOs and I don’t want them anywhere near me or my family either. 

And this is exactly what I picture every time I think of wasps:

CC2D1087-FD22-4309-8279-E76AEAB01129.jpeg.2ceaab365f651913d4acf5bce67c40c4.jpeg

I was talking about bees ?‍♀️ 

• Upvote 3

My sister is terrified of most insects, spiders and bees and wasps, we did kill them if they went into the house when we were growing up, she is better now with bees but anything else still gets killed. 

Jill killing a bee is hardly worthy of a magazine.

• Upvote 11

46 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

I was talking about bees ?‍♀️ 

The post you were commenting on specifically mentioned Wasps and you never mentioned that you were discussing Bees in your response. That’s why I thought you were talking about Wasps rather than Bees.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I think I learned this right here on FJ:

If anyone is bothered by a wasp,  try to knock them down with a blast of hairspray.  It will not kill them outright, but you can stomp on them, swat them or otherwise deal with them.  The hairspray immobilizes their wings and they can't fly.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 3

Someone should let J-Rod know about this.  I am sure she is amply prepared for a swarm.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

Then there's Aquanet Man, Jim Boob Duggar. His wife says he's a big hunk, but he's not to be confused with Aquaman.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Haha 16

22 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Then there's Aquanet Man, Jim Boob Duggar. His wife says he's a big hunk, but he's not to be confused with Aquaman.

I spotted Jason Mamao in Vancouver two weeks ago. Mr GS wouldn't let me go and eat in the restaurant he entered!

Swoon..:bigheart:

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

10 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

I spotted Jason Mamao in Vancouver two weeks ago. Mr GS wouldn't let me go and eat in the restaurant he entered!

What was the restaurant. ? Details

now we are in Palm Springs 

malibu was amazing 

• Upvote 6

On 4/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, RosyDaisy said:

I'm going to defend Jill for a moment. I believe her, because it happened to me. I even posted here about it. I am allergic to bees and wasps. I carry an EpiPen at all times. If those evil fuckers are in or around my house, I exterminate them! The hell with whatever harm to the environment it may cause. So, Jill, kill those evil fuckers and tell critics to fuck off.

Us too. I hate killing any animals (I’m a spider rescuer) but bees and wasps are the exception for us. It is less traumatic for the bee to die than for hubby to go into anaphylaxis :( 

I try to make up for it by deliberately planting flowers to attract, feed and help butterflies even though I know it’s not the same.

Btw I’ve seen DH have 3 anaphylactic reactions to stings. They get worse each time and last time it took 3 epipens worth of adrenaline to get him to stop deteriorating. Here in Australia you can only get a script for 2 at a time, so it’s always an ambulance ride and an armload of adrenaline from an ampule (we are currently undergoing the process of having it with him as well because he often works remotely - I’m fully trained to jab with a syringe!!) so I promise you, killing a wasp or bee isn’t an over reaction. I hate doing it but I like my hubby quite a lot and I don’t want him to die. Watching him go into anaphylactic shock is horrible.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 21

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

where???  I'd love to know what sort of restaurant he'd frequent!!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Jason Mamoa grew up in my hometown.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I kill wasps. I do have some bee houses around my house though for mason bees and leaf cutter bees. I started doing this after finding a few nests in my wind chimes. They are great pollinators.

• Upvote 3

• Georgiana locked this topic