IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

I love that this thread went hot earlier because we're celebrating new pregnancies in our fold. More arrows for the Quiverfull of Snark. Take that, Fundie Megabreeders!

Congratulations @VelociRapture and @pook. Hope your pregnancies and births are healthy and easy.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 8

Kale is actually a super traditional dish her that almost no one of my generation would cook (you will eat it at your grandmothers anyway).

Now that it has been declared a superfood a while back they want to make it more popular again but restaurant all use the English word now because no one will want it if you use the  Dutch word ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1

48 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I love that this thread went hot earlier because we're celebrating new pregnancies in our fold. More arrows for the Quiverfull of Snark. Take that, Fundie Megabreeders!

Congratulations @VelociRapture and @pook. Hope your pregnancies and births are healthy and easy.

Another arrow cooking here. Duty beckons. 

• Upvote 19
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Love 12

I don’t love kale but last week I made a supereasy and yummy kale and spinach soup that my 5-year old ate two plates of. 

It was just equal amounts of frozen kale and spinach heated up with some garlic and mixed with one can of coconut milk and some creme fraiche (because I had some and threw it in, probably would have been good without it). Seasoned it with some chili and a little salt and pepper and mixed it smoth. So good!

• Upvote 8

Congrats to everyone who’s incubating an arrow these days!  May Rufus bless you and yours with good health, easy pregnancies, and safe deliveries.

Kale- couldn’t eat eat it until I learned about marinating it first.  Chick-fil-A has an excellent kale salad which I refuse to hand over hard earned dollars for, but will gladly duplicate in my own home.  Basically it’s kale and broccolini (substitute well-cut-up broccoli if you are cheap like me). Clean and cut both into bite-size pieces, then add maple vinaigrette dressing* and let it sit a couple hours before serving.  Just before serving, add a small ammount of dried cherries and slivered almonds.  I also like a little feta cheese, which is not CFA standard.

*Maple vinaigrette dressing- equal parts olive oil and GOOD maple syrup (1/8 cup each, or more if it’s gonna be a big salad?).  Teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice if you’re feeling fancy.

• Upvote 10

Congrats @VelociRapture! I suspected you were pregnant when you recently posted something saying "when we have another child" instead of your usual "if we're lucky enough to have another"! So glad everything is going well, and wishing you a healthy, happy, full-term pregnancy! 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I think all the awesome puns have been used, so I just offer my congratulations!! I am happy to see new babies coming to such a great people! I do hope we have just a giant Watchening for each of you as we do for the duggers ;)

Re Kale: I really hate cooked spinach (love fresh in salads though) and decided to sub kale into a salmon potato casserole I was making. When I went to order some on my grocery delivery they had something called "kalettes" and from the blurry picture I though it was just fancy better cut kale pieces. It was not. It was tiny little kale heads that "are specially grown to be a mixture of kale and brussel sprouts". I sauteed them with red onions and had a bite before adding them to the casserole. AMAZING! I will be buying those little guys again!

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

Thank you everyone! And congratulations to @pook and @zcccrv as well!

37 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Derick’s latest tweet. 

4F99288C-35B2-4BA3-809B-C792F0369402.png

So, the desire of his heart is to be humped? I guess there are weirder things he could be hoping for. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

Congrats to all the new mommas around here! Happy & healthy rest of your pregnancies.

When there are a lot of announcements I always get a big of a pang for that excitement of new life joining us. Then I remember my kids finally sleep at night without a peep and come back to my senses. ;)

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I feel like both these discussions are just unfair because I’m pregnant. I kind of just want to eat everything right now, but I have to try and be good too. ?

Congrats VelociRapture. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Kale is actually a super traditional dish her that almost no one of my generation would cook (you will eat it at your grandmothers anyway).

Now that it has been declared a superfood a while back they want to make it more popular again but restaurant all use the English word now because no one will want it if you use the  Dutch word ?

Ugh, don't remind me.  I grew up eating boerenkool.  Desperation food if you ask me!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

Not to be a downer from the awesome baby news, but did anyone see that Derick posted a pic of his house on his insta... ?

Someone on the Duggar snark Reddit looked up the address and it's apparently owned by Cathy (Derick's mom)... 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 8

10 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Not to be a downer from the awesome baby news, but did anyone see that Derick posted a pic of his house on his insta... ?

Someone on the Duggar snark Reddit looked up the address and it's apparently owned by Cathy (Derick's mom)... 

I saw the discussion on Reddit, but I couldn't see where they actually got the information. Can anyone confirm? I have no idea how to look up who owns a particular house.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Yeah, at first I was afraid (I was petrified...) but now I’m excited. I figured it was a pregnancy or Derdick said something awful again.

Also, I just remembered this amazing shirt. You and your daughter should get matching ones. 

Reveal hidden contents

When I started reading your comment, I thought you were breaking out a  Donna Summer’s “I will Survive” rendition.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Lol! I only mentioned it in two of the closed Clubs I’m in on here. We had a good first ultrasound yesterday with a strong heartbeat and I’ll be 8 weeks on Friday. :) 

Congratulations!!!! yea!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Congrats @VelociRapture!

Kale - I don't mind kale salad done well (well-dressed).  I tried making kale chips once and failed miserably and my kitchen smelled nasty the whole afternoon.   

Chard - my mom grew it in the garden one year and we had so much of it and I've kind of resented it ever since although objectively it's not awful.  So I rarely cook it myself.  My hubby loves it.  I do most of the cooking.  This year he started buying it in large quantities and cooking a large batch with bacon, onion, and vinegar and then there would be enough for like 3 nights at a time.  For me it was fine the first night and then it was like I was a kid again with too much chard in mom's garden...

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

Hoping all pregnancies go well and to term.  Be blessed!

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I saw the discussion on Reddit, but I couldn't see where they actually got the information. Can anyone confirm? I have no idea how to look up who owns a particular house.

There are a couple of sites where you can look up real estate/property tax records. The rental they were in was not owned by Cathy. Have they moved?

• Upvote 3

I checked the reddit thread. That’s the rental they’ve been living in for a while. It is owned by Volunteer Holdings LLC, a rental company, not by Cathy.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

15 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@SassyPants,  I was at the dentist recently and both he and I agreed that we hate kale!  Maybe I did not make it right, but based on that one experience with kale it is on my don't not like list.

For those who don't like kale, keep in mind there are different kinds that taste very differently from each other.

Personally, I do not like red russian kale, am neutral about lacinato/dino kale (and this is the variety that is best suited to kale chips, IMO, because the leaves are sturdier), and I really love curly kale.

So you might be surprised if you dislike some varieties, that you like others.

14 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

Anything kale can do, chard can do better...?

I like chard ok but not as much as curly kale.

I will say that I don't generally eat kale raw -- I cook it in the same pot as my pasta -- 5 minutes is perfect!  Overcooked kale would taste bad, I think.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

but restaurant all use the English word now because no one will want it if you use the  Dutch word ?

If there's a Dutch version of Portlandia, that is a sketch just waiting to happen...

I want to eat more kale, but find it's flavor and texture so overpowering. I can throw spinach into basically anything, even breakfast smoothies, and it just hangs out there. But kale's like "BAM mofos! Kale here!" And even when I try to puree the crap out of it to hide it in sauces or smoothies, it's so stringy still and just a terrible texture. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

Y'all I just made a delicious chicken, carrot, and kale stir-fry last night. Enough garlic, ginger, and soy sauce can make anything taste amazing!

Edited by MargaretElliott
I described my stir fry as "delicious" twice in one sentence. I mean, it was, but that seemed a little extra.
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 3

I feel like both these discussions are just unfair because I’m pregnant. I kind of just want to eat everything right now, but I have to try and be good too. [emoji23]

Wait. Did we know this? Congratulations!
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• Georgiana locked this topic