IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

I had someone describe me as June Cleaver with the best dirty jokes. I was a SAHM for close to 10 years and would have kept on doing it. I love all that shit, cooking, cleaning the house keeping up the yard, when I have time. I no longer have time, but if I could afford to be a house wife I would be.  It isn't that I don't like working (I don't) it is just that with my ADD/Anxiety/Depression keeping a job is hard. I'm better suited to working for myself where only I get mad when I forget to do shit, or mess shit up. But I've found a good fit, it pays shit, I get no benefits and very little vacation time but it is a business of misfits, junkies, crooks, migrant workers and mentally challenged folks. I run the office for a janitorial company  we get all kinds of crazy up in here, makes things interesting for sure. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 3

This broccoli rice casserole thing reminds me of when I made Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. I grew up on this too, but I never made it after leaving the house. So I looked up the recipe again, and it was gross. It needed Velveeta and cream of chicken, so I found another recipe that substituted the Velveeta for sharp chedder and little cream cheese and making  a rous instead of cream of crap. I thought it tasted delicious, everyone else liked it besides my mother who just gets offended when i don't cook like her. It was annoying. lol

• Upvote 10

23 hours ago, bal maiden said:

. Who is making up these rules of how many inches above the crook of our elbow our boobs should be? I bet it's either someone trying to sell women something, or keep women preoccupied with our boob height so we don't notice the patriarchy... 

For one, the makers of women's clothing decide, by where they place the darts or curved seaming, where the breasts (I stand corrected) SHOULD be for any women's garment. There are specific measurements which help to determine, and it's based on where the breasts start out..... that is, where the breasts of a young woman would be, before they get stretched out by pregnancy, breast feeding, weight gain/loss.... That's not patriarchy, that's science. 

In order to maintain the  "traditional woman's figure" (if you are so interested) some effort must be made to keep the older breasts in place.  And yes, two pregnancies and breast feeding have caused enough change in Jill Dillard's breasts to call them "older". If you like, call them changed. If she wants a flattering look in clothing, she requires better support.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Big boobs here too and, I will tell you a well fitting bra makes all the difference in the world. 

As far as I'm concerned any bra that keeps you comfortable is fine by me, I have friends who can't live with out their underwire bras, they even sleep in them. I have friends who hate underwire (me included but....DDD) and softer materials, I have one friend who gives no fucks and only wears a bra when going to formal events. :pb_lol:  Of course she's only like a B cup so she's not all...  

08a0c33c903b6a8b91b92bd38aa3a1b8.jpg

I'm one of those sleep in my underwire bra people :)  doesn't really bother me. I'm a D cup.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I don't think there's an excuse. Jessa and Jinger both grew up with exactly the same food and we've seen them eat completely differently. 

Again, people are assuming this is what Jill feeds her family all the time and we know from photos that simply isn’t true. We’ve also seen her share healthier recipes on their blog as well, but people don’t talk about that because it’s not fun to snark on. It’s very likely that when she’s sharing these specific recipes it’s because she’s trying to target the core Duggar fans who will literally eat up anything they spoon feed them - the ones who have never and will never abandon the family. It’s not a terrible idea considering how loyal the leghumpers have been through everything. 

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This broccoli rice casserole thing reminds me of when I made Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. I grew up on this too, but I never made it after leaving the house. So I looked up the recipe again, and it was gross. It needed Velveeta and cream of chicken, so I found another recipe that substituted the Velveeta for sharp chedder and little cream cheese and making  a rous instead of cream of crap. I thought it tasted delicious, everyone else liked it besides my mother who just gets offended when i don't cook like her. It was annoying. lol

Yes! My mom’s recipe is less like Jill’s and more like yours. It’s delicious. Jill’s looks like a greasy salt bomb. 

32 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I'm one of those sleep in my underwire bra people :)  doesn't really bother me. I'm a D cup.

I might have just fainted dead away. My girls need to be FREE when I sleep. Otherwise I won’t sleep. You’re tough ;)

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

In regards to sagging breasts and bra sizes:

I am 25 and they are a little droopy/pendulous. They definitely are right at the crook of my elbow and look very frumpy if just let hang freely lol. 

Now I have two ways I can wear a bra, and two different sizes because of it. 

I can wear the 32dd bra, 32 being the width of my torso underneath where my breasts fall naturally, and DD coming from how far my breasts protrude when hanging naturally. This really doesn't provide any support -- it just keeps them from moving and smooths the outline. I have no cleavage when wearing this bra.

My other size is a 30F. Technically, it's the same as a 32dd. However, I wear this bra when I'm hoisting the girls up. 30 represents the width of my torso right under where my boobs attach to my body, not where they finish hanging. I have to weave the tape measure up & underneath my breasts (you can't see it - picture the "pencil test") to get this measurement. The F represents how far my breasts protrude when the breast is scooped and laid out flat on my hand. I have ample cleavage when wearing this bra, and it looks *very* perky from the side.

Both bras are comfortable and suit different clothing/occasion purposes. 

If I wear the 32dd and "hoist it up" with the straps, then I get a "quadruple boob!" 

I think that in this case, Jill is doing my "first bra" option, which doesn't really match the dress or occasion. Since the dress has a defined waist, the breasts should be sitting up higher than the waist, instead of resting right at the cinched waist. 

Edited by kmachete14
  • Upvote 8

I just want her to figure out how to take a better picture. Putting some on a plate & investing in a light/soft/photobox ($20 amazon) would go a long way toward making her food look better. The recipes - at least this particular one, and a few others - are borderline inedible for me, but I know other people who don't feel the "cheese pains" just looking at it might enjoy something like that. 

42 minutes ago, karen77 said:

I used to do that. 

Now I sleep in nothing at all. It's much better, no more getting tangled up in my pj pants or shirt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I used to do that. 

Now I sleep in nothing at all. It's much better, no more getting tangled up in my pj pants or shirt. 

I'm too afraid to do that! emergencies in the middle of the night, plus, kids coming in or having to get up to deal with them.... and i get cold (most of the year)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Most  of the healthier meals shown seem to be take out food or restaurant meals, like  sushi. I wish Jill would think about  who she wishes her audience to be, or believes it is, and post recipes that might draw them in or appease that target audience. Maybe she really is only speaking to her open can, dump, mix and bake crowd, which is fine. Otherwise,  she might  do like another poster suggested, and invest in some equipment that can help her plated food look more appealing and appetizing. A crisp green veggie or tri-color medley of veggies could help both balance out the photo and up the nutritional content.  

• Upvote 1

The idea that a woman's breasts are "supposed" to look like ______ seems absolutely outrageous to me. Breasts come in all shapes and sizes. It's not like women all have uniform breasts before they give birth/breastfeed. That's insane! Unless a woman is uncomfortable, why should anyone judge what her breasts look like? Saying that a woman's breasts are too low, high, saggy, perky, big, small, round, pointy, whatever - it's meaningless. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Yeah I think Stacy got really sick, I remember seeing she had surgery. Clinton is doing really well. He's the guru on The Chew and he does interviews and stuff. They were amazing actors. I didn't know they hated each other until after the show ended.

I had no idea they hated each other at all until just now! I feel disappointed. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Well, the lack of a supportive bra, which affects the presentation of th article of clothing she is attempting to sell, is pertinent to the discussion at hand. No one is commenting on the body part in its raw form.

*snort* thanks for the giggle! Why yes, I have the mind of a twelve-year-old.

Re: breasts, boobs, tits, and jugs: I feel like, as women, we should be free to refer to our chesticles by whatever word we prefer. If you're a doctor doing an exam, or a breastfeeding instructor, "breasts" is obviously the correct technical term. Personally, I feel like a snake hissing when I say it. Breastsssssss. I like "boobs" for everyday usage. It's a fun, bouncy word. 

Use whatever word you like to refer to your mammary glands. I may die inside if I hear "melons," but that's my problem, not yours. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 16

13 hours ago, JillyO said:

JFC, Jill's newest recipe for "Brokkoli Rice Casserole" (I'm going to rename it "Sodium Casserole"). I'd like to think she's trolling us, but I'm afraid she's serious:

Let's get the calorie breakdown on this messipe, shall we?  

• Velveeta - 1280 calories
  • Rice - 1224 calories
  • Soup - 542 calories
  • Butter - 204 calories
  • Onion - 67 calories
  • Broccoli - 31 calories

GRAND TOTAL 3348 calories for the whole thing, OR 558 calories per 1-cup serving

I shudder to think of the sodium content... and almost no fibre (just over a gram per serving).  

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 7

19 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

From your lips to the universe's ears. For the love of Rufus something better has to come along.  Sooner than later would be great.

TItty gods, bringeth us the support we crave for.

13 hours ago, Kailash said:

It’s actually 2 tablespoons of butter. Capital T stands for tablespoon in recipes, lower case t stands for teaspoons.

I bought these small measuring spoon things, that has the whole quarters, eighths and so on. They're in English but I was like oh nah heh I know what it all is shortened! Didn't come to my mind to look for capitalisation OR use my common sense the next time I was baking and HO let me tell you that was A LOT of baking powder that shouldn't've been in my biscuits.

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

What in the everloving FUCK is cream of chicken?!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

@finnlassie,  it's basically just white sauce with some chicken stock and shredded or chunked chicken in it.  

@Four is Enough, your explanation of why Stacy and Clinton said what they did about breast height and why clothes are made they way they are was so much better than mine.  Thank you for that description!

@singsingsing,  there's a website that just up your alley (and anyone else who is curious about the diversity among women's breasts):

http://www.007b.com/

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

The idea that a woman's breasts are "supposed" to look like ______ seems absolutely outrageous to me. Breasts come in all shapes and sizes. It's not like women all have uniform breasts before they give birth/breastfeed. That's insane! Unless a woman is uncomfortable, why should anyone judge what her breasts look like? Saying that a woman's breasts are too low, high, saggy, perky, big, small, round, pointy, whatever - it's meaningless. 

Ok but what people have been trying to explain here is that the clothing industry, like every other industry, has to have a standard metric, and maybe it’s based on “ideal”  rather than what some would define as “real” body shapes, but you have to acknowledge the truth behind having a standard. Like someone above explained, darts have to sit at a certain level, And if not, the top looks and more importantly, feel off. Unless people think boobs look nice resting on the top of an abdomen while wearing an empire waisted top or dress. If not, wear a decent, supportive bra if you’re trying to sell clothing.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Again, people are assuming this is what Jill feeds her family all the time and we know from photos that simply isn’t true. We’ve also seen her share healthier recipes on their blog as well, but people don’t talk about that because it’s not fun to snark on. It’s very likely that when she’s sharing these specific recipes it’s because she’s trying to target the core Duggar fans who will literally eat up anything they spoon feed them - the ones who have never and will never abandon the family. It’s not a terrible idea considering how loyal the leghumpers have been through everything. 

Perhaps Jill knows what will get clicks and puts up snark worthy recipes to get the extra revenue haha

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I am a 32DDD and sleep in a soft-style bra.  I think it is Bali Comfort Revolution.  Just more comfy for me.*

Spoiler

image.png.a487a26f4ce5d660d015c393a4cdaf27.png

*ETA;  Just to be clear, that is not actually me.

Edited by Satan'sFortress
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@finnlassie,  it's basically just white sauce with some chicken stock and shredded or chunked chicken in it. 

@singsingsing,  there's a website that just up your alley (and anyone else who is curious about the diversity among women's breasts):

http://www.007b.com/

That sounds oddly unappealing and appealing at the same time (I'm hungry with nothing in the pantry, have some mercy!)

As for 007b, I went to that website A LOT when I was around 16. And what a godsend it was! My boobs grew 3-4 cup sizes in the span of a month or so when I was 15 (and from that on my body started gathering fat very differently, so I suppose my hormone balance snapped), I felt so ugly, I didn't feel like my nipples belonged on my body, and I just googled "what do normal E cup breasts look like" and boom, this heaven opens up.

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 4

Yes.  To add to this, a WORSE version of the broccoli rice casserole which includes cheez whiz AND velveeta along with grilled chicken is my favorite food.  I requested it for my birthday despite the fact that my brother is a chef and offered me anything I wanted (he did make a chocolate banana pie for dessert).  I would share that recipe, even though it's nuts, because I love it.  But I don't eat it every day.  In fact, I would say I eat it maybe once or twice a year.  But it's a recipe from my childhood that I love and have an emotional connection to.  Many of the recipes Jill shares are likely very similar.

And also, there really are people out there who simply are not going to cook a lot of the healthier recipes you see on most food blogs.  We've discussed why on the Jill threads so many times that it doesn't need repeating.  But that is a niche, and there's nothing wrong with someone who comes from a background where canned/processed foods were heavily used sharing recipes that feature a lot of canned/processed foods in order to fill that niche.  Food blogging should be accessible to all, not just to people who have the ability to dedicate copious time to prep work, use certain ingredients, etc. etc.  I can almost guarantee that Jill has a sizable group of followers who rely as her family relied on canned and processed foods to fill bellies.  They probably appreciate these recipes a great deal, and there's nothing wrong with Jill recognizing and catering to this group of followers.  

• Upvote 13

I hear what you are saying and......

I still think her recipes are gross.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Boobs...the undersides of mine never formed...so they lay flat and have for years. They're UGLY!!! I found these bras at Kohl's that are almost like sports bras but with more definition. I LOVE them. However, I will not wear a bra for any longer than I absolutely have to...I will whip that puppy off within minutes of walking in the door. Sleep in one? OH FUCK NO! I will let my hanging, ugly-ass boobs swing free as much as possible. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Most  of the healthier meals shown seem to be take out food or restaurant meals, like  sushi. I wish Jill would think about  who she wishes her audience to be, or believes it is, and post recipes that might draw them in or appease that target audience. Maybe she really is only speaking to her open can, dump, mix and bake crowd, which is fine. Otherwise,  she might  do like another poster suggested, and invest in some equipment that can help her plated food look more appealing and appetizing. A crisp green veggie or tri-color medley of veggies could help both balance out the photo and up the nutritional content.  

I went and took a look at their blog. Many of the unhealthy recipes make mention of the Duggar family eating them at holidays or as Jill was growing up. One of them (Chicken-Etti) specifically mentions that it’s a Keller family dish. I noticed that these posts tended to be written in the past tense, like, “We used to eat these with a side of brisket,” rather than in the present tense, “We always eat this with brisket.” To me, that indicates she’s sharing a recipe from her past that she might not have very often anymore. She also occasionally makes reference to a recipe being higher calorie to warn people who are watching their weight as well and a few recipes she appears to have altered the sizes because she mentions how much her family needed to make a Duggar sized batch. 

Those recipes are also interspersed with healthier recipes like Mediterranean pizza, Kale Chips, Blender Muffins (made with fresh fruit - Dairy Free and Gluten Free), the Oven Fries mentioned recently, etc. I didn’t go back very far, but I do remember posting multiple times before this about the healthier recipes she’s shared when this topic comes up. 

As for the photos, you can easily see that they eat healthier options on Instagram. It’s usually photos of the boys, but some of the Dills too. Photos include Sam eating scrambled eggs, Sam and Izzy washing beans for dinner, the boys helping to make and eat Mediterranean pizza, Sam helping to make and eat baked sweet potato fries, the boys eating Lime and Cilantro Beans and Rice, Jill making homemade hummus, both boys eating fresh produce, etc. 

I do genuinely think she’s sharing them in order to target a specific audience. And even if they do eat those recipes sometimes they appear to balance it out with healthier options, which pop up in pictures more often than the unhealthy stuff does. I seriously doubt they’re eating unhealthy all the time. If you’re going strictly off what’s shared here then it’s going to look like this is all she ever shares and, thus, all they ever eat because this stuff is fun to snark on for a lot of people and the healthier stuff isn’t.

Criticizing her photos and plating is more than fair game though. Some of the photos aren’t bad, but some of them look pretty unappealing because the photos weren’t done well. And I'm guessing some dishes likely wouldn’t photograph well regardless of how you do it. 

14 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I hear what you are saying and......

I still think her recipes are gross.  

That’s fine. Everyone has different taste and what appeals to one person won’t appeal to someone else. If you’re only looking at what’s shared here you’re going to get a rather skewed idea of what she’s posting though because we tend to only discuss the stuff that’s easy to make fun of and criticize. Looking through their blog and social media gives a different view though.

• Upvote 12

• Georgiana locked this topic