IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

13 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

That announcement was definitely intended as a pregnancy fakeout. The shot with their shoes lined up is such a common pregnancy photo. Gotta get those clicks somehow, and they know what their audience likes.

I'm always surprised to see houses without basements in this area. My family lived in the same general region for a while when I was a kid, and during a major tornado we had to huddle under a table in the kitchen. I would feel way safer with a basement.

Basements where they live have to be dug out of the porous stone underneath the thin layer of soil that covers most of the Ozarks. Makes the house much more expensive, and then, especially if they have a high water table where they live, the basement is prone to dampness, leaking, and mold. It can be done, but it's expensive. What they should probably consider is a tornado shelter that can be anchored into their concrete slab. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 11

I'm sorry but who is giving these freeloaders money? Affiliate links for a clothing company + adsense cannot possibly be enough to live off of. JB or Cathy has to be paying for everything, I can't see Jill STILL having left over TLC money if they whined about still paying off Sam's NICU bills after a year. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, karen77 said:

For 4 bedrooms in a 1400 sf hoe use, they have to be pretty small rooms!

I have a 4 bedroom house and it’s less than 1400 sq ft. The bedrooms aren’t tiny but they aren’t huge. 3 are pretty average size for an old home. And then one larger bedroom. We have no official dining room similar to Jill’s home. A dining room would take up a lot of space and make 4 bedrooms almost impossible. 

• Upvote 7

For a second I thought that the where sold there home from one of the ho,t boys. One of the realtors is named keifer holt, and thought it was one of the sons of jim holt.  Looked the names up of the children and he is not one of them ?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Angelic83 said:

For a second I thought that the where sold there home from one of the ho,t boys. One of the realtors is named keifer holt, and thought it was one of the sons of jim holt.  Looked the names up of the children and he is not one of them ?

It’s easy to remember the Holts because the boys have names starting with S and the girls start with K. 

I'm happy for them.  They have a new build, and also it looks like the Duggars were not involved (assuming that the builder or Dillards didn't want them involved).   Maybe it's a sign that Jill wants to do things differently, without spending the rest of her life kissing up to Boob.  I am in the camp that she or Derick maybe had a falling out with Jim Boob.

I don't see an issue with the size of the bedrooms being small.  The boys are still young.  They can probably fit full size beds in their rooms when they're out of toddler stage.  One of the bedrooms will most likely serve as an office/study for Derick.  It's a not too big/not too small kind of house.

My only suggestions are to put up a privacy fence and invest in a video doorbell.  

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The house was likely not that expensive to build. Nothing is high end. The countertops look laminate, the appliances are mid grade, no basement, you can easily hide low grade cabinetry with white paint, small square footage, and only the front is brick. I can’t tell if the carpet is low or mid grade but I’m betting it is. 

It looks just like the places I rented when I was a struggling student/intern.  The finishes are the most inexpensive available.  Greige carpet, greige walls, greige plastic countertops, faux-marble plastic floors.  JMO, it's very unappealing.  And I wonder how long those finishes can last with two active little guys.  My bestie had counters and floors a lot like that, and after four years and 3 kiddos, everything was pretty much destroyed.  

That said, with a good eye for colours and bargains, you can make any room really elegant and stylish.  The yard has so much potential as well!  Maybe in a couple of months Jill and Derick will turn the house into a beauty.  And I can't criticize them for buying a home rather than renting.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

It looks just like the places I rented when I was a struggling student/intern.  The finishes are the most inexpensive available.  Greige carpet, greige walls, greige plastic countertops, faux-marble plastic floors.  JMO, it's very unappealing.  And I wonder how long those finishes can last with two active little guys.  My bestie had counters and floors a lot like that, and after four years and 3 kiddos, everything was pretty much destroyed.  

That said, with a good eye for colours and bargains, you can make any room really elegant and stylish.  The yard has so much potential as well!  Maybe in a couple of months Jill and Derick will turn the house into a beauty.  And I can't criticize them for buying a home rather than renting.  

I agree. They can make upgrades as they live there. Their financial situation could improve in the future and they could put in better flooring, paint, landscape, etc.

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm sorry but who is giving these freeloaders money? Affiliate links for a clothing company + adsense cannot possibly be enough to live off of. JB or Cathy has to be paying for everything, I can't see Jill STILL having left over TLC money if they whined about still paying off Sam's NICU bills after a year. 

I’m kind of curious about their finances as well. Costs will obviously differ based off location and care needed, but our daughter spent a week in NICU and the total bill was somewhere between $65,000 and $70,000. Our insurance paid for all that (thank Rufus - I almost had a heart attack looking at that EOB anyways.) Sam spent two weeks in NICU, so I’d assume his bills would at least be on par with what my daughter’s were, though I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they were much higher. My daughter’s care was pretty standard after the first two or so hours, whereas Sam seems like he needed a bit more care at first. If they really didn’t have insurance at that point (and I doubt they did) then it might actually be kind of impressive that it took just under a year to pay off the bills. I’d guess either they really were extremely frugal during the first year of marriage and they managed to save up a good amount or they’re getting at least a little help from someone or they went into debt for the house and Law School. I’d guess it’s likely a combination of the above factors. 

(I do want to point out that, as far as I remember, Jill has never complained or lashed out publicly about TLC over the NICU bills. She’s actually said very little publicly about Sam’s birth. I don’t doubt that whatever happened was likely traumatic for her to deal with and I also wouldn’t be shocked to find out she feels the same way as Derick, but at least she’s kept her mouth shut about it.)

• Upvote 13

38 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I have a feeling JB is giving them money to keep Dillwank quiet.  That’s probably why Derick is persona non grata, and Jill has to deal with her husband and father being at odds. Cathy is also likely chipping in.  

That’s how a family with no job pays for law school *and* buys a house.

I

• Upvote 14

Just looked at Jill's story. Her latest sponsored outfit is a baggy orange jumpsuit.

Fitting for a grifter... Or perhaps she's caught on that Orange is the New Black.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17

I'm sorry I just... cant be happy for them. They are both such assholes. Derick and jill are grifters. They probably have money but cry poor so people will give them free shit. Just ugh this couple. I can't feel any happiness for the dullards and turdanna. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

At least they are moving out of that dim apartment. Very curious about how this was paid for. My guess is Derick's family. Shocked by the lack of involvement by the various Duggar siblings that have real estate licenses/are involved in home renovation projects. 

• Upvote 6

We stayed in our starter house because we weren’t able to have kids and didn’t need more space. I’m not in a rush to move, but at some point we will want to upgrade and will be able to afford it. I’m wondering if we should go with a custom home. In Northern Virginia most new homes are in developments with HOAs and lots of vinyl siding, both of which I hate with a passion. (My apologies if that offends anyone.)  Maybe this sounds minor, but I really like that our laundry room is next to our closet. Most large houses have laundry rooms downstairs and bedrooms upstairs. Zillow only rarely has floor plans, so it’s hard to shop for that kind of thing. Could I ask a realtor to screen for no HOA, no vinyl siding, and laundry room near master bedroom, or will they just laugh at me?

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Maybe this sounds minor, but I really like that our laundry room is next to our closet. 

My mom's laundry room is as far from her bedroom as it's possible to be at her house. When our local paper used to include a set floor plans in the lifestyle section once a week, she told me that the first thing she checked on every plan was how far the laundry room was from the master bedroom. It makes sense to me. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I have a 4 bedroom house and it’s less than 1400 sq ft. The bedrooms aren’t tiny but they aren’t huge. 3 are pretty average size for an old home. And then one larger bedroom. We have no official dining room similar to Jill’s home. A dining room would take up a lot of space and make 4 bedrooms almost impossible. 

Right.  You can actually get decently sized bedrooms in a smaller house if you sacrifice the common areas.  It's all about allotment.  My house is just shy of 1200 sq feet, has one decently sized bedroom and a very small bedroom that can barely fit a full bed (I use this as a TV/guestroom/office).  However, I have a very large great room with space for a full size dining table, living room set, and what I call a "tea nook", a large kitchen with a breakfast nook, and a large laundry/mudroom.  I could easily add additional bedrooms of decent size by sacrificing some of that space.  

The Dillards' new home looks like the kitchen/dining/living areas are combined and slightly on the smaller side, so I would guess they probably have pretty decent bedrooms.  I had a kitchen/dining/living set up almost identical to theirs in a 1br 450 sq foot apartment, so that set up can really help you to maximize the use of very little space.  

• Upvote 10

14 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Right.  You can actually get decently sized bedrooms in a smaller house if you sacrifice the common areas.  It's all about allotment.  My house is just shy of 1200 sq feet, has one decently sized bedroom and a very small bedroom that can barely fit a full bed (I use this as a TV/guestroom/office).  However, I have a very large great room with space for a full size dining table, living room set, and what I call a "tea nook", a large kitchen with a breakfast nook, and a large laundry/mudroom.  I could easily add additional bedrooms of decent size by sacrificing some of that space.  

The Dillards' new home looks like the kitchen/dining/living areas are combined and slightly on the smaller side, so I would guess they probably have pretty decent bedrooms.  I had a kitchen/dining/living set up almost identical to theirs in a 1br 450 sq foot apartment, so that set up can really help you to maximize the use of very little space.  

I’m honestly so glad we don’t have a formal dining room. A lot of homes in my neighborhood do. But they have 3 bedrooms not 4. I wouldn’t use a formal dining room. Actually I would likely turn it into something else. We have eating space in the kitchen so it works for us. We aren’t formal dining room people.

• Upvote 7

54 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

At least they are moving out of that dim apartment. Very curious about how this was paid for. My guess is Derick's family. Shocked by the lack of involvement by the various Duggar siblings that have real estate licenses/are involved in home renovation projects. 

Apparently cathy's name was on that duplex they were in, someone on reddit found it (since the dumbards overshare) i suppose she probably owns the house too.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I’m honestly so glad we don’t have a formal dining room. A lot of homes in my neighborhood do. But they have 3 bedrooms not 4. I wouldn’t use a formal dining room. Actually I would likely turn it into something else. We have eating space in the kitchen so it works for us. We aren’t formal dining room people.

In our current (2 bedrooms, 67 square meters/721 square foot) apartment we don’t have room for a formal dining table, and the kitchen can fit 5 people at most. And we would like a dining room or an area with a dining table, in order to make it possible to show the difference between weekday and weekend in practice. To use our fancy china, set the table with nicer glasses, do dessert. And in the long term teach future kids that different settings mean different manners and expectations. One can do this in a kitchen too, but we would prefer a separate dining table outside of the kitchen. (It’s also nice to not have guests in the kitchen when the dishwasher is running [emoji3526] )
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Apparently cathy's name was on that duplex they were in, someone on reddit found it (since the dumbards overshare) i suppose she probably owns the house too.

That’s been debunked. The duplex was a rental through Cross Church. They started living there when Derick was doing that certificate program thing with them.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 4

and starting the home decorating insta post in 3...2...1.... 

(I predict lots of bible stuff on barnwood planks)

Edited by Timetostoplurking
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 19
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah, it's easily the most wasted space in my house.  It's just me, so I never eat there.  But I also don't necessarily need the space, so I just leave it for now. If I ever need the space, I'd probably install a pull out/drop down table (like a Murphy bed, but a table) so that I have a big table for the rare occasion I entertain, but can still use the space as like a TV area otherwise.  

• Upvote 6

So I went to the Benton property lookup and nothing is there with their name on it.  They may not have closed yet.  But I did find that Jason now owns several properties...hmmmm.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

• Georgiana locked this topic