IGNORED

Dillards 75: Keep the Food Out of the Bathroom

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

Could just be timing, but as of right now, none of the Duggars have liked Jill's exciting news post. 

Anna commented on it congratulating them. I’d assume it’s just timing as the post has only been up for a few hours and Derick’s family hasn’t liked it either. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

Anna commented on it congratulating them. I’d assume it’s just timing as the post has only been up for a few hours and Derick’s family hasn’t liked it either. 

Yeah, it looks like Sierra and the Seewald family commented as well.   Guess the Duggars aren't scanning IG all hours of the day like me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14

Derick never shows up to any of the Duggar parties anymore. Was Derick pictured at Israel’s birthday party? I think JB is feuding with Derick and the Duggars are shunning him.  They are love-bombing Jill but I think they’re shunning Derick. JB and Michelle’s talk with the Wallers made it clear they do not like the changes the daughters have made by wearing pants and are blaming their headships. If you aren’t following the Godbobber, I imagine he and the other Duggars make things awkward (for the headship).

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 10

I literally said ARE YOU KIDDING ME when I saw the ~exciting announcement~ the day after I said Jill wouldn't announce a pregnancy this year. WHEW. 

I do think they'll have at least 2 more children. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

I felt like it probably wasn't a pregnancy announcement - Jill definitely wasn't even close to the one I expected to announce next - but I was pretty worried there for a minute. As for the size of the house, Duggars don't seem to mind moving fairly frequently. Or they could be planning to add onto it in the future if they have more kids (maybe with the expectation that they'll be able to save some money once Derick graduates and starts working... if that happens).

• Upvote 6

The size doesn’t surprise me. Jill grew up in houses way too small for her family. Remember when they lived in that 3 bedroom house with like 14 or 15 kids? 

• Upvote 27

The plan may be for this to be their 'in-between' home -- better than paying rent while he is in school then starting out his career* and they can sell for a profit (they hope) or like was said upthread, start their realty empire. I'm quite sure Derick 'has plans' to make big bucks and move on up. 

*career -- will Derick ever have one?

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I think there's a high probability that their plan is to only stay in this home for a few years, and then turn it into a rental or sell if they have to.  I don't know what the location is like, but it's a good layout for a rental home and that would be a great reason for them to forgo spending any money on upgrades or finishes.  

I just hope this doesn't come back to bite them if Derick's career never pans out.  I never thought I would be in my "starter" home 8 years later, but here I am...and I'm grateful I chose a home and a financing option that were able to stand the test of time.  I know people who are stuck between a rock and a hard place because they can't afford to move like they thought they would be able to, and now they either have mortgages ballooning or deferred maintenance that can no longer be ignored.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I think there's a high probability that their plan is to only stay in this home for a few years, and then turn it into a rental or sell if they have to.  I don't know what the location is like, but it's a good layout for a rental home and that would be a great reason for them to forgo spending any money on upgrades or finishes.  

I just hope this doesn't come back to bite them if Derick's career never pans out.  I never thought I would be in my "starter" home 8 years later, but here I am...and I'm grateful I chose a home and a financing option that were able to stand the test of time.  I know people who are stuck between a rock and a hard place because they can't afford to move like they thought they would be able to, and now they either have mortgages ballooning or deferred maintenance that can no longer be ignored.  

We’ve been in our “starter home” for a decade now. When we bought it, we saw it as a starter home that we would eventually move out of due to its small size. But I’ve had a pretty big mental shift in the past decade. I’ve realized that I bought into the idea that bigger is always better. I now see that we can make our small home work for us for a long time because we only have two kids and I’m not overly attached to much “stuff.” Erin Paine is getting creative and is making her small home work for now. BUT there gets to be a point where no matter how creative you get, there’s just not enough space per person. Erin will likely have to move or add an addition after her next baby arrives. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I saw something last week on the news about getting investors to pay tuition for students, and then they only repay a percentage of their income back once they graduate. There was like a 7 year limit on it too. I forgot what they were calling it. But essentially the downside for the student was that they were betting aganist themselves that they wouldn't be making that much money for nearly a decade. I have to say I thought "hey there's a perfect program for Derick!"  

Based on the facade from this photo

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1fbd7cd2686e3fbe67a61c511f4af722.png

And this photo showing what looks like a bedroom door by the front door:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c1de927ffae09d6c5a49016ba4be8e96.png

I think this is the house they built:
https://www.rauschcolemanhomes.com/homes/find/232632
which has 4 bedrooms. It looks bigger than the house Jill grew up in before TLC came along, so I wouldn't assume this means she wants a smaller quiver. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 31

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We’ve been in our “starter home” for a decade now. When we bought it, we saw it as a starter home that we would eventually move out of due to its small size. But I’ve had a pretty big mental shift in the past decade. I’ve realized that I bought into the idea that bigger is always better. I now see that we can make our small home work for us for a long time because we only have two kids and I’m not overly attached to much “stuff.” Erin Paine is getting creative and is making her small home work for now. BUT there gets to be a point where no matter how creative you get, there’s just not enough space per person. Erin will likely have to move or add an addition after her next baby arrives. 

Yeah, I'm fortunate that when I was shopping for a home, my grandma kept saying "Just remember: the more square footage you have, the more square footage you have to clean!".  So I chose a reasonably sized house that is perfect for 1-2 people, but really doesn't have much space for more (second bedroom is VERY small, though the previous family raised two boys to adulthood in that room).  However, to give myself additional flexibility, I also chose an older home that was built to allow for an optional second story, so if I wanted/needed to finish that space, I would at least have options.  

The Anderson family (Pissing Preacher) are a great example of a family stuck in an already too-small home but continuing to add members.  They just had a bunch of drama with renovations (and, I strongly suspect, code issues with their unpermitted addition), but even with all their creative problem solving, the house is CLEARLY too small.  The benefit is that at least Jill and Erin live in climates that allow for a lot of outdoor time, which helps to remove some of the chaos from the home.  The Andersons live in AZ, so the kids are often stuck inside during daytime hours.  The end result is that they are pushing the older boys out of the nest as fast as they can, having them start working as soon as possible to get them out of the house during the day instead of continuing homeschooling, and hoping they will get married the instant they turn 18.  It's not a good situation, because like you said, there are limits with how far you can stretch sq footage...and sometimes, you just don't have enough to go around.  

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

If you aren’t following the Godbobber, I imagine he and the other Duggars make things awkward (for the headship).

You just gave me some major Godfocker vibes with your Godbobbler comment ? 

9E2EC3CE-472D-42E9-9568-AE8F5396AC54.jpeg

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Yeah, I'm fortunate that when I was shopping for a home, my grandma kept saying "Just remember: the more square footage you have, the more square footage you have to clean!".  

This is why Jessa likes the small home. It’s also why I am not looking for a big house.

• Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

This is why Jessa likes the small home. It’s also why I am not looking for a big house.

I’m always amazed by people with 4+ toilets in their home. I’m not scrubbing 4 toilets! I hate scrubbing the two we have! Plus bath tubs? Hell no.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m always amazed by people with 4+ toilets in their home. I’m not scrubbing 4 toilets! I hate scrubbing the two we have! Plus bath tubs? Hell no.

I feel like people with 4 toilets also hire people to do the scrubbing for them.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 7

38 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I think this is the house they built:
https://www.rauschcolemanhomes.com/homes/find/232632
which has 4 bedrooms. It looks bigger than the house Jill grew up in before TLC came along, so I wouldn't assume this means she wants a smaller quiver. 

I think you're right... good find! The back of the drawing (windows, back door) do look just like the pic of the back of their house.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I feel like people with 4 toilets also hire people to do the scrubbing for them.

They probably do. But the ones that don’t must be cleaning a lot. 

• Upvote 7

For some reason as I was growing up, we always ended up living in houses with three bathrooms. Toilet scrubbing isn't really that bad. The worst (for me) is dusting and vacuuming and all that. Tell me to scrub four toilets, okay, I'm not thrilled but it's not going to take all day. But tell me I have to dust, sweep, and vacuum a 4000 square foot house? Rufus take the wheel.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The only thing that bothers me about that layout is the lack of windows. I need more windows. Unless those windows are larger than average. But the bedrooms all have only one window except the master. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I thought we'd be out of our starter home about now, too, but it doesn't look like that will happen for a while. But, like you, we have excellent financing and pay less than we would if we were renting. Also, with my extreme fatigue issues, I don't think I could possibly keep a larger house clean right now!

@JermajestyDuggar about having more than two toilets: the only reason I would want more than two is so that I could have my very own personal bathroom that nobody with poor aim is allowed to use!

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Yeah, I'm fortunate that when I was shopping for a home, my grandma kept saying "Just remember: the more square footage you have, the more square footage you have to clean!". 

Go grandma!  I agree with her.  I always think about that when I watch the home-buying shows on HGTV--who is going to clean that?!

• Upvote 11

3 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Go grandma!  I agree with her.  I always think about that when I watch the home-buying shows on HGTV--who is going to clean that?!

The housekeeper?

• Upvote 4

That announcement was definitely intended as a pregnancy fakeout. The shot with their shoes lined up is such a common pregnancy photo. Gotta get those clicks somehow, and they know what their audience likes.

I'm always surprised to see houses without basements in this area. My family lived in the same general region for a while when I was a kid, and during a major tornado we had to huddle under a table in the kitchen. I would feel way safer with a basement.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

• Georgiana locked this topic