IGNORED

Priscilla and David 9: Starting Their Own Flipping Business?

Coconut Flan

OK.  I'm tired of the stereotype and snobbery that everyone who lives in a "trailer" is dirt poor, trailer trash.  Yes, manufactured homes are cheaper than a similar size stick built home.  And yes, older ones, especially, were cheaply constructed but probably no more so than a low end stick built place.

I don't particularly like manufactured homes but many are quite nice, are well insulated, with owners who are proud of them. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, llucie said:

Yeah, when you read someone lives in a trailer you usually asume they are poor. I had no idea you could be middle class and living in a trailer. At least from the media we get in my country from the usa trailer parks seem to be for really poor people, and here in my country trailers are not a thing people permanently live in so all my info do come from movies and tvshows.

To be honest is dificult to understand that having money to buy a house they ratter live in a trailer but to each their own i guess.

To add to @gustava's post, not all mobile homes are in trailer parks.  

I once moved (for a decidedly middle-class job) to a county in California where housing is expensive (note: that is nearly all counties in California, but I digress). 

I couldn't afford a regular house and there weren't many for sale in my new town anyway.  I didn't want an apartment as I like privacy and remoteness as well as having a yard, garden, etc.  I found a 1.5 acre plot on a dead-end street of nice stick-built homes, with a large mobile home, in a comfortable price range and bought it.  It had some of the cheaply-built attributes of its time, but also had some niceties.  Other than being much more space than I needed, it served me well while in that job and I was fortunate to sell it quickly when I left that job and moved elsewhere.

• Upvote 13

31 minutes ago, gustava said:

OK.  I'm tired of the stereotype and snobbery that everyone who lives in a "trailer" is dirt poor, trailer trash.  Yes, manufactured homes are cheaper than a similar size stick built home.  And yes, older ones, especially, were cheaply constructed but probably no more so than a low end stick built place.

I don't particularly like manufactured homes but many are quite nice, are well insulated, with owners who are proud of them. 

It can be nice for a childless couple or a single person, i think, but the Kellers had 8 children. A trailer for a family of 10 doesnt seem spacious or comfortable enought, even if they live in their own property.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, gustava said:

None of this applies to the Kellers.  Have you ever seen the inside?  Anna and Priscilla's room had them sleeping in what looked more like shelving units than beds.  The kitchen is wholly inadequate for preparing food for 8 kids, which they had at one time.

If you cannot financially provide proper shelter for your family, IMO, you have no business having as many kids as you can without regard to their needs...no matter what Jesus says.

But if you do you send them to school so they at least have the option of doing better than their parents without having to rectify their lack of education on their own.  Instead the Keller's kept their children in poverty while spending money on useless ATI conferences.

I don't recall the season, but I can't imagine anyone who had seen the Keller's trailer describing it as "quite nice."

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I know this doesn’t have to do with the Keller’s and their mobile home, but I watched this video John Oliver did on his show about mobile home parks recently and I was shocked on how big businesses are preying on mobile home owners that rent land in mobile home parks (the Keller’s don’t do this so it excludes them). So if anyone is interested:

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 5

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it is more about the job of pa Keller. I was under the impression that he has a prison ministry. Does he do anything more than that? I’ve always assumed a prison ministry is not raking in the money. 

4 hours ago, llucie said:

Yeah, when you read someone lives in a trailer you usually asume they are poor. I had no idea you could be middle class and living in a trailer. At least from the media we get in my country from the usa trailer parks seem to be for really poor people, and here in my country trailers are not a thing people permanently live in so all my info do come from movies and tvshows.

To be honest is dificult to understand that having money to buy a house they ratter live in a trailer but to each their own i guess.

It is a house *shrug*

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think it is more about the job of pa Keller. I was under the impression that he has a prison ministry. Does he do anything more than that? I’ve always assumed a prison ministry is not raking in the money. 

I'm fairly certain he works for a prison ministry. A sort of large one I I remember right.

They have multiple acres and a tennis court that doesn't appear to be complete crap. Their trailer is quite a bit bigger than my house. 

Edited by RainbowSky
  • Upvote 2

In other Big Sandy residents news --I'd like to give some award to whatever Staddon kid this is on the right---she has got the Death Stare down!

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 16

47 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

In other Big Sandy residents news --I'd like to give some award to whatever Staddon kid this is on the right---she has got the Death Stare down!

That’s little Cadence Staddon. At least she’s had about 3 years of being the baby of the family. That’s much longer than most fundie kids.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 1/6/2020 at 5:57 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know this doesn’t have to do with the Keller’s and their mobile home, but I watched this video John Oliver did on his show about mobile home parks recently and I was shocked on how big businesses are preying on mobile home owners that rent land in mobile home parks (the Keller’s don’t do this so it excludes them). So if anyone is interested:

I read this as Jamie Oliver and was very confused for a moment ? It’s an interesting video though, it was an informative watch. 

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

How many bedrooms do David and Prissy have in their house? It doesn't like like more than 3 to me, but I could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

How many bedrooms do David and Prissy have in their house? It doesn't like like more than 3 to me, but I could be wrong.

That would be my guess too. Which isn’t too terrible right now. They’ve been lucky that their babies are going boy, girl, boy, girl, boy. They should be able to fit 2 girls in one bedroom, 2 boys in another, and the baby in the master when he is born. And if the girl and boy bedrooms are a good size, they can probably fit 3 in each. But they may move by then.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

That would be my guess too. Which isn’t too terrible right now. They’ve been lucky that their babies are going boy, girl, boy, girl, boy. They should be able to fit 2 girls in one bedroom, 2 boys in another, and the baby in the master when he is born. And if the girl and boy bedrooms are a good size, they can probably fit 3 in each. But they may move by then.

It certainly looks like they have space (and, with their extended family, the ability) to add on another bedroom & bath if they want.

8 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

It certainly looks like they have space (and, with their extended family, the ability) to add on another bedroom & bath if they want.

Ok I went looking on their blog and a few years ago they posted before and after pics. They don’t show the children’s rooms though. They have a large master, at least 2 bathrooms, and a guest room. That guest room may have been turned into a child’s bedroom by now.

Oh and I can’t forget their prayer closet! 

BA6C3510-2AA4-449B-A411-D9F647FAC8BB.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

None of this applies to the Kellers.  Have you ever seen the inside?  Anna and Priscilla's room had them sleeping in what looked more like shelving units than beds.  The kitchen is wholly inadequate for preparing food for 8 kids, which they had at one time.

If you cannot financially provide proper shelter for your family, IMO, you have no business having as many kids as you can without regard to their needs...no matter what Jesus says.

But if you do you send them to school so they at least have the option of doing better than their parents without having to rectify their lack of education on their own.  Instead the Keller's kept their children in poverty while spending money on useless ATI conferences.

I don't recall the season, but I can't imagine anyone who had seen the Keller's trailer describing it as "quite nice."

The sad thing is, from the pictures we've seen of the Keller's place, it will still be better than some of the places Nurie Rodrigues will have lived before she married Nathan Keller. (See RV full of grifting)

• Upvote 5

OMG!!!!! The prayer closet is REAL?????? 

...sorry, I’ve been living under a rock...

• Haha 8
  • Love 4

LOL  Yes, the Pecans have one and so do the Duggars.  

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2

I would have made that prayer closet something fun. I would have put pillows, stuffies, and books up there. It could be a fun hiding place for my kids. But no, they make it a prayer closet. Because fundies must make every little thing in their lives about god.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7

There are many places in the USA (East Texas being one) where manufactured homes are exceedingly common, and the vast majority of them are not in parks but on the owner's land, which could be one acre or fifty.

There were times over the last 10 years when we considered pulling the trigger and buying one.  We toured them on dealership lots several times.  Some of them are much nicer than MANY stick-built houses I've been in.  It just worked out that we found a stick-built house that was as affordable (or more affordable, really) than a manufactured on land because we got an amazing deal with our loan.  

My future daughter-in-law's parents have lived in manufactured housing for over 30 years (they upgraded a couple of times).  It's just what they prefer.  

Just wanted to throw that in.  I know that the trailers/manufactured housing = poor carries on in most of the world, but it certainly isn't the case in areas where they're more common.  To be clear - not commenting on the Kellers per se, but the generalization.

Carry on.  :)

• Upvote 4

On 1/6/2020 at 5:53 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

So true! They may have a tennis court etc, but the house was miserable. It's not a secret that Kellers struggled financially and Anna's childhood was more than frugal. 

Kellers seem to be living better nowadays, I suppose being just a family of 4 makes it easier (and maybe the young sons have been working for a while). 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

They may have a tennis court etc,

My obsession has boiled over, I MUST see this tennis court!  Googling without luck, help!

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

My obsession has boiled over, I MUST see this tennis court!  Googling without luck, help!

I believe it’s a grass tennis court. So building it was likely not as expensive as your typical tennis court. 

44 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It is in the Anna and Josh courtship and wedding episode. I don't have a link, I'm sorry.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe it’s a grass tennis court. So building it was likely not as expensive as your typical tennis court. 

Thanks that I thought!  Definitely not the symbol of opulence that some think.

• Upvote 1

Fun fundie fact: 

The Wissmanns have an indoor volleyball court in one of their very large outbuildings. I imagine they park farm equipment in there but they post pics of them playing together pretty often. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:47 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Thanks that I thought!  Definitely not the symbol of opulence that some think.

Is this the tennis court?

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic