IGNORED

Priscilla and David 9: Starting Their Own Flipping Business?

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

In my own personal opinion, I think Americans can have an “all or nothing” mentality about a lot of things. And I find it to be a negative thing overall. Because we are human and we will make mistakes no matter what. Having an all or nothing mentality in multiple areas of your life can lead to self destructive behavior. You example of dieting is a good example. I can definitely see it happening with sinning as well. 

I agree, and believe the fundies try to prevent the "yo-yo-ing" by virtually non-stop programming and feedback to their blessings.  Infractions are immediately responded to, sometimes in a very disproportionate way, and the children are expected to promptly repent themselves out of the clutches of Satan.  I believe it becomes a very conditioned guilt and fear response.  Of course it can fail (Josh Duggar?), but efforts are made to pull the sinner back in (e.g., Jesus jail).

If Josh's family wasn't widely known I'm pretty sure he would have bugged out of the TTH, and the ultra-fundie lifestyle, first chance he got.  I believe some other fundies leave because they don't believe or like the "all or nothing" mentality, whether or not they're being motivated by the desire to behave in a way that their families consider sinful.  And many stay because it's either too difficult to leave or they decide that the system is working for them.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

@lilithHow does that make sense? So Stealing a piece of gum when you are 5  Is completely comparison and damning as Nazis torturing people?  Yes, the Catholics  make much more sense in this case. 

Mortal versus Venial Sin

A serious, grave or mortal sin is the knowing and willful violation of God's law in a serious matter, for example, idolatry, adultery, murder, slander. These are all things gravely contrary to the love we owe God and, because of Him, our neighbor. As Jesus taught, when condemning even looking at a woman lustfully, sin can be both interior (choices of the will alone) or exterior (choices of the will carried into action). A man who willfully desires to fornicate, steal, murder or some other grave sin, has already seriously offended God by choosing interiorly what God has prohibited.

Mortal sin is called mortal because it is the "spiritual" death of the soul (separation from God). If we are in the state of grace it loses this supernatural life for us. If we die without repenting we will lose Him for eternity. However, by turning our hearts back to Him and receiving the Sacrament of Penance we are restored to His friendship. Catholics are not allowed to receive Communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins. 

Venial sins are slight sins. They do not break our friendship with God, although they injure it. They involve disobedience of the law of God in slight (venial) matters. If we gossip and destroy a person's reputation it would be a mortal sin. However, normally gossip is about trivial matters and only venially sinful. Additionally, something that is otherwise a mortal sin (e.g. slander) may be in a particular case only a venial sin. The person may have acted without reflection or under force of habit. Thus, not fully intending the action their guilt before God is reduced. It is always good to remember, especially those who are trying to be faithful but sometimes fall, that for mortal sin it must not only be 1) serious matter, but 2) the person must know it is serious and then 3) freely commit it.

So maybe we aren't all evil after all? Seriously though, while the Church wasn't condoning sin, it was was smart enought to know that not all sin is equal. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

this is being shared over on the duggar thread. david and Cil start talking about the 25 minuet mark for anyone who is interested this is from Feb

• Thank You 2

On 4/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, lilith said:

Wait, flipping burgers doesn’t mean that? What does it mean?

I'm late to commenting on this! But I can't resist.

"Flipping burgers" does indeed mean literally, physically flipping burgers, and by extension is also used more generally for working at a fast-food place in any position.

House flipping doesn't mean house "selling". A real estate agent isn't flipping houses. "Flipping" here means buying a cheap property, changing it significantly (renovations, decoration, etc), and then selling it for a higher price. You're flipping it because you're not intending to live in it; you're fixing it up to sell to a new owner quickly. The ownership is, in a sense, flipping.

Carry on! ?

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

Did these two delete their IG? 

No it’s still there. But they haven’t posted since April 24. That’s a long absence for them.

• I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3

They seem to be busy with family conferences- Northwoods family conference at the beginning of June and Sacramento conference soon.

I've  missed them too and only seen the tweets at the side of their blog page.

There were lots of notable speakers at the Northwoods conference- Gabriel Cleator, Tim Levendusky and Kelly and Gil Bates. The conference seemed aimed at young musicians and there's a photo of David included

• Thank You 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, Someone Out There said:

But, wouldn't it potentially turn out like diets do?  There is literature/studies around how people on diets may eat too much one day and then keep on putting off actually starting their diet and/or giving up on their diet because they feel they've eaten too much/the wrong foods.  What is to stop someone from doing one sin, then feel that their going to hell anyway so why not go on a sin bender?

This was exactly my attitude, as a teenager. I enjoyed partying, and pushed away the guilt for sinning by sinning more. I was always going to get ‘right with the Lord’ some day. Exactly like starting a diet tomorrow. 

And, furthermore, all sins were equal, in my mind. I was a shoplifter, and very good at it, and I never got caught. Drinking, smoking, stealing. . . All equal sins , in my mind. 

Fast forward 45 years, and I still enjoy a drink, but I’m certainly not a thief. 

I was also that child who cried herself to sleep at night, worried about all the nice people going to hell. 

Edited by jjmennonite
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 3

David’s BFF is hanging out with another family. John Webster’s sister Elizabeth’s family. I wonder if he’s jealous ;)

ABE49B33-49DF-4518-80E2-4F6F2D8F7D39.jpeg

• Upvote 4

On 6/17/2019 at 9:24 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

David’s BFF is hanging out with another family. John Webster’s sister Elizabeth’s family. I wonder if he’s jealous ;)

Two boys and six girls.  Better get busy on birthing males.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, lilith said:

I agree and it also gives kids a warped perception of “sin” and morality when they’re told they’re terrible sinners deserving of hell because they stole a cookie or told a fib or hit their sister. The “all sins and sinners are equal” philosophy is really fucked up - at least the Catholic Church recognises different levels of sin and repentance.

Not only that but fundamentalists , the Holiness churches at the very least , teach that you can also sin just by having thoughts and feelings that are what they would deem to be in appropriate . Case in point , this children's song .

So growing up in this atmosphere , of Christian perfectionism , I would be in fear of not only losing my state of saving grace , not so much due to word or deed , but even more so for having a reprobate mind .  In the mind of such believers , God is not simply a Heavenly Father , but also like Big Brother .  

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Marmion said:

Not only that but fundamentalists , the Holiness churches at the very least , teach that you can also sin just by having thoughts and feelings that are what they would deem to be in appropriate . Case in point , this children's song .

So growing up in this atmosphere , of Christian perfectionism , I would be in fear of not only losing my state of saving grace , not so much due to word or deed , but even more so for having a reprobate mind .  In the mind of such believers , God is not simply a Heavenly Father , but also like Big Brother .  

I remember feeling so guilty as a kid when I would think certain thoughts because I thought god could read my mind and he would be ashamed of me.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I remember feeling so guilty as a kid when I would think certain thoughts because I thought god could read my mind and he would be ashamed of me.

Not only did I fear that God would be ashamed of me , but also that he would spew me from His mouth , into the lake of hellfire , if He were to become fed up enough with me .  Based on this Bible verse https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+3:15-16&version=ESV , such Holiness churches actually teach that this can happen .  So , in addition to being comparable to Big Brother , the Holiness Movement's  God is like Poppy , in this song .  

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I still fight those thoughts at times.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I still fight those thoughts at times.

Nowadays I replace the god thought shaming with my own voice telling me that cussing people out in my head isn’t making me feel better.

• Upvote 4

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Jinger needs to be more like the Wallers in the baby bow department. This is a decent sized baby bow. It’s not engulfing Destiny’s head. Unlike those monstrosities on poor Felicity. 

EE0D6079-8A91-4CAF-BF81-5DBC47A8E239.jpeg

• Upvote 13

On 6/18/2019 at 8:00 PM, Marmion said:

That woman is more terrifying than her god

On 6/17/2019 at 9:24 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Staddon girls are huge. I still think of the oldest with the weird name as a baby.

• Upvote 3

I’ve been expecting Kendalyn to announce a new pregnancy for awhile now. Her youngest is almost 2.5.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 6/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but Jinger needs to be more like the Wallers in the baby bow department. This is a decent sized baby bow. It’s not engulfing Destiny’s head. Unlike those monstrosities on poor Felicity. 

EE0D6079-8A91-4CAF-BF81-5DBC47A8E239.jpeg

::admission time:: I love big, adorable baby bows. I just think they’re cute. I tend to buy quite a lot of them when friends/family announce they’re having a girl 

I’ll see myself to the prayer closet now...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

32 minutes ago, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

::admission time:: I love big, adorable baby bows. I just think they’re cute. I tend to buy quite a lot of them when friends/family announce they’re having a girl 

I’ll see myself to the prayer closet now...

I think I mostly hate them because they are distracting. Babies are so cute. And my eyes go straight to a huge bow instead of their cute little face. 

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think I mostly hate them because they are distracting. Babies are so cute. And my eyes go straight to a huge bow instead of their cute little face. 

I must be a weirdo, when I see a big bow on a tiny face, my attention goes right to the tiny adorable face in comparison. Though I think I’m for sure a minority on this ?

though I know there’s other fashion sins that would send me to the prayer closet for sure: my love for only wearing flip-flops during warm weather, the type of dresses the Bates girls are selling (primarily for work, but I buy them on Amazon for much cheaper prices), eyeliner being my go-to make-up item (definitely NOT JRod style, though, more Jinger Duggar). Hopefully my support for equal rights, the fact that I live by myself with no headship, sans only the rabbit, and went to college to start a career and now teach 2nd grade/ESOL in the ebil public schools make up for this. I’m sure my love of oversized t-shirts/gym shorts I live in the time a year could make JRod crap a brick 

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, NonSOTDRT Teacher said:

I must be a weirdo, when I see a big bow on a tiny face, my attention goes right to the tiny adorable face in comparison. Though I think I’m for sure a minority on this ?

though I know there’s other fashion sins that would send me to the prayer closet for sure: my love for only wearing flip-flops during warm weather, the type of dresses the Bates girls are selling (primarily for work, but I buy them on Amazon for much cheaper prices), eyeliner being my go-to make-up item (definitely NOT JRod style, though, more Jinger Duggar). Hopefully my support for equal rights, the fact that I live by myself with no headship, sans only the rabbit, and went to college to start a career and now teach 2nd grade/ESOL in the ebil public schools make up for this. I’m sure my love of oversized t-shirts/gym shorts I live in the time a year could make JRod crap a brick 

The giant bows are definitely not a fundie thing so don’t feel bad! I’ve seen them on tons of babies. I’m definitely more of a hat person when it comes to babies. I love a good hand knitted hat on a newborn. My boys killed it in the hat department when they were babies. I think it’s because they had such giant melon heads as babies ?

• Upvote 3

I think it is fine to put bows on babies as long as they don't mind it and the parents are not bow training like Chelsea does. My daughter did not mind things on her head as a baby and she frequently wears headbands by choice. She is eight, so I let her almost have complete control over her hair.

One son did not like anything on his head as a baby and my other son currently does not like anything on his head. Putting on a hat due to cold or the sun is okay for babies like this, but I do not think it is okay to put anything on their head for solely fashion reason. 

Also, some of the bows have potential chocking hazards attached, so they should never be on a baby unmonitored.

• Upvote 6

On 6/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm glad Destiny got to wear a petite bow in this pic, but just on the last page, she was wearing a flower on her head that was almost as big as her head! Maybe that was to celebrate spring? :kitty-wink:

• Haha 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic