IGNORED

Priscilla and David 9: Starting Their Own Flipping Business?

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

David and Priscilla are still running even with four children.  They've bought another house to remodel.  Possibly starting their own flipping enterprise?

• Thank You 5
  • Love 1

If they are starting their own flipping business, good for them. Better than grifting for a living like Jill Rodrigues or Bro Gary. 

Also, “flipping business” makes me laugh because it’s like I’m trying to swear, but not totally committing to it. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 25
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Omg Destiny looks so much like Davia. She’s so cute even with a giant flower on her head. 

8ACB1D57-1E18-41F1-A58B-79D62029BD4F.jpeg

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

That would be interesting if they started their own business of house-flipping.  Maybe David realizes that IBLP is only going to last so long, and he'd better have something to fall back on.  I definitely agree with KnittingOwl that actually having a job/back-up plan is much better than the Rodrigues Family Grift Plan!

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

If they are starting their own flipping business, good for them. Better than grifting for a living like Jill Rodrigues or Bro Gary. 

Also, “flipping business” makes me laugh because it’s like I’m trying to swear, but not totally committing to it. 

I'd rather they flip houses than ram the Bible down the throat of whoever is unlucky enough to sit next to them on the plane. They seemed to do a nice job of fixing up their house, and David and Priscilla need a good hobby, especially one that could make them money.

And yikes, the size of that flower on Destiny! It could have its own zip code!

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I'd rather they flip houses than ram the Bible down the throat of whoever is unlucky enough to sit next to them on the plane.

If they started fixing up houses to sell, I don't imagine that would stop them from "witnessing" to people. I can even imagine them using the process to harass potential buyers for Jesus, and try to make sure they sell the house to the "most godly" buyers they can find. Eep!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If they started fixing up houses to sell, I don't imagine that would stop them from "witnessing" to people. I can even imagine them using the process to harass potential buyers for Jesus, and try to make sure they sell the house to the "most godly" buyers they can find. Eep!

Their whole life is enacted with a side of hassling people for Jesus. It’s what they’ve been taught their duty in the great commission is - constant shallow evangelism rather than targeted deep spiritual discussion.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

They're flipping houses and Brandon/Michaela have move back to Tennessee. Wonder what they've finally been clued in to - that iblp Chicago is just about done? 

I know we've talked about it before but the area in Chicago but she where headquarters is is a pretty good market correct? 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

On 4/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Omg Destiny looks so much like Davia. She’s so cute even with a giant flower on her head. 

8ACB1D57-1E18-41F1-A58B-79D62029BD4F.jpeg

I hope she proves to be just as entertaining as Davia. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just popped in here to add that in UK/Australian English, "flipping" doesn't really mean "selling" - though it does mean "turning something over". So when I read the thread title, I assume that either we've gone a bit Cockney sweary ("cor blimey, Priscilla and David are starting their own sodding/bloody/blasted business" or maybe that there's a whole lot of money in pancakes or something. 

I mean - it was only fairly recently I thought when people were described as "flipping burgers" I thought it literally meant they were responsible for cooking the burgers and turning them over with a spatula, And "flipping cars" had me completely confused.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Just popped in here to add that in UK/Australian English, "flipping" doesn't really mean "selling" - though it does mean "turning something over". So when I read the thread title, I assume that either we've gone a bit Cockney sweary ("cor blimey, Priscilla and David are starting their own sodding/bloody/blasted business" or maybe that there's a whole lot of money in pancakes or something. 

I mean - it was only fairly recently I thought when people were described as "flipping burgers" I thought it literally meant they were responsible for cooking the burgers and turning them over with a spatula, And "flipping cars" had me completely confused.

Wait, flipping burgers doesn’t mean that? What does it mean?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, lilith said:

Wait, flipping burgers doesn’t mean that? What does it mean?

I think it can mean just working in a fast food place in general. At least that’s what I take it as. Not everyone who works at McDonalds flips burgers. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Website shows Big Sandy is nearly here! Lots of speakers including "David Waller, father or four"

D Day is 29th April!    Conference has been moved from the convention centre to the gymnasium which holds 2000 people- think they're being a little optimistic

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

On 4/23/2019 at 7:26 AM, Sops2 said:

Website shows Big Sandy is nearly here! Lots of speakers including "David Waller, father or four"

D Day is 29th April!    Conference has been moved from the convention centre to the gymnasium which holds 2000 people- think they're being a little optimistic

The Duggars posted about looking forward to it last week.

• Upvote 2

Will the conference be a good place to spot new possible young couple and new friendship? 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, it bothers me so much to hear innocent young kids sing about their 'sins'. Love them, hold them, tell them that nobody is perfect but that they are good the way they are. We are only human.

I respect religious freedom (well..to a certain degree. I am all for the separation of church and state), but it honestly feels wrong to scare young kids with talk about sins, hell, etc. I was raised as a christian but I was very scared because of it when I was a child. I am an atheist now.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

On 4/14/2019 at 6:24 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Um ... well ... I was today years old when I found out that this isn’t what flipping burgers means! It makes so much sense.

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, Timetraveler said:

Honestly, it bothers me so much to hear innocent young kids sing about their 'sins'. Love them, hold them, tell them that nobody is perfect but that they are good the way they are. We are only human.

I respect religious freedom (well..to a certain degree. I am all for the separation of church and state), but it honestly feels wrong to scare young kids with talk about sins, hell, etc. I was raised as a christian but I was very scared because of it when I was a child. I am an atheist now.

I agree and it also gives kids a warped perception of “sin” and morality when they’re told they’re terrible sinners deserving of hell because they stole a cookie or told a fib or hit their sister. The “all sins and sinners are equal” philosophy is really fucked up - at least the Catholic Church recognises different levels of sin and repentance.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, lilith said:

I agree and it also gives kids a warped perception of “sin” and morality when they’re told they’re terrible sinners deserving of hell because they stole a cookie or told a fib or hit their sister. The “all sins and sinners are equal” philosophy is really fucked up - at least the Catholic Church recognises different levels of sin and repentance.

It makes sense if the goal is to convince children that any small infraction will damn them, that they need to demonstrate complete and immediate obedience, and that thinking about what they want to do (in this context) is a sin.  Lambs grow up to be sheep.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Dandruff said:

It makes sense if the goal is to convince children that any small infraction will damn them, that they need to demonstrate complete and immediate obedience, and that thinking about what they want to do (in this context) is a sin.  Lambs grow up to be sheep.

But, wouldn't it potentially turn out like diets do?  There is literature/studies around how people on diets may eat too much one day and then keep on putting off actually starting their diet and/or giving up on their diet because they feel they've eaten too much/the wrong foods.  What is to stop someone from doing one sin, then feel that their going to hell anyway so why not go on a sin bender?

• Upvote 8

@lilithHow does that make sense? So Stealing a piece of gum when you are 5  Is completely comparison and damning as Nazis torturing people?  Yes, the Catholics  make much more sense in this case. 

Mortal versus Venial Sin

A serious, grave or mortal sin is the knowing and willful violation of God's law in a serious matter, for example, idolatry, adultery, murder, slander. These are all things gravely contrary to the love we owe God and, because of Him, our neighbor. As Jesus taught, when condemning even looking at a woman lustfully, sin can be both interior (choices of the will alone) or exterior (choices of the will carried into action). A man who willfully desires to fornicate, steal, murder or some other grave sin, has already seriously offended God by choosing interiorly what God has prohibited.

Mortal sin is called mortal because it is the "spiritual" death of the soul (separation from God). If we are in the state of grace it loses this supernatural life for us. If we die without repenting we will lose Him for eternity. However, by turning our hearts back to Him and receiving the Sacrament of Penance we are restored to His friendship. Catholics are not allowed to receive Communion if they have unconfessed mortal sins. 

Venial sins are slight sins. They do not break our friendship with God, although they injure it. They involve disobedience of the law of God in slight (venial) matters. If we gossip and destroy a person's reputation it would be a mortal sin. However, normally gossip is about trivial matters and only venially sinful. Additionally, something that is otherwise a mortal sin (e.g. slander) may be in a particular case only a venial sin. The person may have acted without reflection or under force of habit. Thus, not fully intending the action their guilt before God is reduced. It is always good to remember, especially those who are trying to be faithful but sometimes fall, that for mortal sin it must not only be 1) serious matter, but 2) the person must know it is serious and then 3) freely commit it.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

@lilithHow does that make sense? So Stealing a piece of gum when you are 5  Is completely comparison and damning as Nazis torturing people?  Yes, the Catholics  make much more sense in this case. 

It makes no sense to me. It always saddens me hearing fundies testimonies about how they were saved at 5 when they realised they were irredeemable sinners deserving of hell and only the sacrifice of Jesus could save them. What an awful way for a kid to view themselves and, by extension, all of humanity. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Someone Out There said:

But, wouldn't it potentially turn out like diets do?  There is literature/studies around how people on diets may eat too much one day and then keep on putting off actually starting their diet and/or giving up on their diet because they feel they've eaten too much/the wrong foods.  What is to stop someone from doing one sin, then feel that their going to hell anyway so why not go on a sin bender?

In my own personal opinion, I think Americans can have an “all or nothing” mentality about a lot of things. And I find it to be a negative thing overall. Because we are human and we will make mistakes no matter what. Having an all or nothing mentality in multiple areas of your life can lead to self destructive behavior. You example of dieting is a good example. I can definitely see it happening with sinning as well. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic