IGNORED

JinJer 48: California Love

Georgiana

My family actually does not decorate a ton with photos of ourselves. I've always found the choice to use family photos as a major piece of decor (or not) as interesting insight into people! In the house that I lived in for the longest as a child, we used a tucked away hallway upstairs for family pictures that my mom jokingly called the "wall of shame." The way our house was set up, more casual guests at the house didn't really go upstairs, so it was mostly just for my family's enjoyment and then close friends.

Now the layout of my mom's current home is different and doesn't really have an area like that, so she doesn't put family pictures up for the most part. I did get her a custom watercolor portrait of her dog and my dog and she proudly displays that on an endtable haha. Like my mother, I have opted to decorate with art so far rather than photos but I feel like I'm going to want my wedding photos somewhere once we're married. I'll probably want them kind of tucked out of immediate view just because that's what I am used to.

One of my close friends that I grew up with, on the other hand... Her parents made the front entryway to their home a shrine to my friend, their only child. In high school we used to poke fun at her for all the pictures. Now she is married with a new baby of her own and she has photos from her newborn and maternity shoots above her couch in the living room. I joked that the new shrine was beginning!

• Upvote 6

this might be considered thoughtful if she wasn't using it as an advertising tool. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Surprised Jana wasn't appointed to this task. 

No, but in all seriousness, the Duggars supposedly "train" their daughters to be homemakers and they make it clear to them from a young age that the acceptable version of their adult future is to be a stay at home mom. Yet we see the adults girls struggle with things like cooking and other things the Duggars surely view as "womanly tasks" and now Jinger is outsourcing a sewing project. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I make blankets like that all the time. Easy peasy. No need to pay someone to do it.

I never learned to sew. It looks like it could be kind of fun and possibly a good activity to help ease anxiety since you have to focus on what you’re doing - I find it difficult to worry and focus at the same time. My strengths lay more with preparing food and taking photos of my daughter and dog though, so I’d have to outsource if I wanted something like this done. I do love the idea of having baby clothes turned into a special stuffed animal for a child though. I saved two of my daughter’s preemie outfits and I think I’ll eventually find someone who can do that for us using those. Maybe once Baby 2 grows out of newborn clothes so we can have one made for them at the same time. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I make blankets like that all the time. Easy peasy. No need to pay someone to do it.

Not if you know how to do it.  I don't sew and I certainly wouldn't use sentimental keepsakes to learn on. 

Besides - she could learn to sew and impress some people or outsource it for ad revenue and save time and make money.

I'd have done the same.

20 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I never learned to sew. It looks like it could be kind of fun and possibly a good activity to help ease anxiety since you have to focus on what you’re doing - I find it difficult to worry and focus at the same time. My strengths lay more with preparing food and taking photos of my daughter and dog though, so I’d have to outsource if I wanted something like this done. I do love the idea of having baby clothes turned into a special stuffed animal for a child though. I saved two of my daughter’s preemie outfits and I think I’ll eventually find someone who can do that for us using those. Maybe once Baby 2 grows out of newborn clothes so we can have one made for them at the same time. 

My kids are in their 20s and I still have a big rubber maid tote of their special baby clothes to have a quilt made one of these days.

Be better than me, do it before they're grown and you're dragging baby clothes with you every time you move!

• Upvote 14

It's established that all the Duggar help meets were not adequately prepared with all the womanly arts.

This is a thing normal people do for each other. Seems nice enough to me. And less tacky than having them all hanging on the wall under glass.

• Upvote 11

Being retired has given me all the time in the world to learn to do stuff. Not everyone has the time nor the interest. I happen to love doing it. Not everyone does. If Jinger wants to outsource it, then she should go for it, as should anyone else. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

They are trained to be stay at home babymakers instead of stay at home moms. Having as many kids as biologically possible is the goal. Being accomplished in home making tasks is not.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

They are trained to be stay at home babymakers instead of stay at home moms. Having as many kids as biologically possible is the goal. Being accomplished in home making tasks is not.

Then it is still surprising how they care so little about (pre)natal care. Making sure pregnancy and labor are as easy as possible (and therefore more likely to be repeated many times) would come first on my list if I wanted to have a big quiver.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Then it is still surprising how they care so little about (pre)natal care. Making sure pregnancy and labor are as easy as possible (and therefore more likely to be repeated many times) would come first on my list if I wanted to have a big quiver.

Yet their own mom had the vast majority of her kids in a hospital setting and had prenatal care from what she has said ( and for the later kids, shown).

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Yet their own mom had the vast majority of her kids in a hospital setting and had prenatal care from what she has said ( and for the later kids, shown).

yeah it's interesting that Michelle only had two children at home. yet so far all her daughters sans Jinger have went for home births, well on the flip side Kelly Jo Bates had a majority of her kids at home and all of her daughters have had hospital births. I think Kelly's has to do with Addie's birth though I think that really scared her away from home births, 

can't really figure out the Duggar second generations love of home birth though.  honestly I think it's for the show. remember Anna was going to go to the hospital with Kenzie and then their doctor wasn't in town so she decided home birth was best and the show probably thought chaching more drama less cost excellent. 

scarily so far only 3 of the home births have been sans complications. 

Kenzie, Micheal and Henry. 

Marcas was born somewhere else, of course Meredith and Mason weren't taped neither was Sam. 

Izzy of course was an emergent c, Jessa started to hemmeroge with Spurg  and Joy of course had to have a C also. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

Jinger being the exception so far of course. She appears to have gotten decent prenatal care and was able to avoid complications with the delivery due to her willingness to change her plans from a non-intervention birth center experience to a hospital induction. I can be very tough on JinJer at times, but I give them full credit for appearing to make some smart choices during her pregnancy. Hopefully that continues to be the case as the eventually add more tiny humans. 

• Upvote 12

I think it has to do with not being willing to admit Jill isn't qualified. If home birth aren't safe with Jill and Jill is not qualified and their parenting is somewhat less wonderful similarly if Jana is not a concert pianist then something might be wrong with their perfect world

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

can't really figure out the Duggar second generations love of home birth though.  honestly I think it's for the show. remember Anna was going to go to the hospital with Kenzie and then their doctor wasn't in town so she decided home birth was best and the show probably thought chaching more drama less cost excellent. 

I think there are several factors:

1. Primarily I think it's the rise in competitive parenting (or more specifically, "momming") that has happened in between when Michelle was having children and when her daughters are. A lot of both far-left and far-right women in the blogosphere really push home births, along with exclusively breast feeding, cloth diapering, making your own baby food, et cetera. And there's a lot of emphasis in their community in showing you are "woman enough" for all of this.

2. The lower cost is probably quite appealing. 

3. Becoming a cultural norm. In the larger culture, but especially in their family culture. If your cousins and sisters all have home births and you know a bunch of midwives, home birth becomes the norm and an obvious first choice for you barring any serious pregnancy issues.

I actually don't have an issue with them doing this; I take more issue with the suspected lack of pre-natal care. And delaying hospital intervention when it's clear more medical attention is needed. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Jinger being the exception so far of course. She appears to have gotten decent prenatal care and was able to avoid complications with the delivery due to her willingness to change her plans from a non-intervention birth center experience to a hospital induction. I can be very tough on JinJer at times, but I give them full credit for appearing to make some smart choices during her pregnancy. Hopefully that continues to be the case as the eventually add more tiny humans. 

doesn't hurt that the birth center they went to is fundy approved it's the same on Priscilla Waller goes to. Priscilla does home birth but we've seen her in that very office before you can tell by the handprints on the wall. 

@nausica, yes a general plan to have a homebirth isn't my objection. It's the lack of a clear doctor approved birth plan with properly trained mid-wives. The failure to have quick backup when medical complications arise. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic