IGNORED

JinJer 48: California Love

Georgiana

3 hours ago, mpheels said:

But what is the hook? I definitely think TLC is floating ideas for Duggar spin offs, and there have been a few episodes that felt like back door pilots. I’m just not sure what Jinger and Jeremy would do to make a show work... They don’t (and probably won’t) have a huge family. They don’t have any interesting skills or hobbies. They seem the thirstiest for a show, but lead the least interesting day-to-day lives. A spin off would just be footage of them reading and drinking coffee?

Ill conceived spin offs I can actually see happening:

Diet and exercise makeovers with Ben

Day-to-day operations of the family camp with Joy and Austin

Home renovations and decor with Joy/Austin and Jana

US-based travel show with John David and Abbie (plus a rotating cast of Duggars)

Plus if you look at highly successful shows like Seinfeld, and the inability for separate members to succeed at a spin off...the Voulos have no chance.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, mpheels said:

But what is the hook? I definitely think TLC is floating ideas for Duggar spin offs, and there have been a few episodes that felt like back door pilots. I’m just not sure what Jinger and Jeremy would do to make a show work... They don’t (and probably won’t) have a huge family. They don’t have any interesting skills or hobbies. They seem the thirstiest for a show, but lead the least interesting day-to-day lives. A spin off would just be footage of them reading and drinking coffee?

Ill conceived spin offs I can actually see happening:

Diet and exercise makeovers with Ben

Day-to-day operations of the family camp with Joy and Austin

Home renovations and decor with Joy/Austin and Jana

US-based travel show with John David and Abbie (plus a rotating cast of Duggars)

Are you kidding, watching Jinger navigate LA is enough. they STILL have the fucking Kardashian's on TV FFS and they don't do anything but show their asses and spread STDS. It will be Keeping up with the Vulo's as they navigate a wholesome life in a sin filled city.  It will be KUWTK for fundyland. 

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Plus if you look at highly successful shows like Seinfeld, and the inability for separate members to succeed at a spin off...the Voulos have no chance.

Um, Julia Louis-Dreyfus. 

Not a spin off but she's been very successful.

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

I would watch the Vuolos in LA. The more they are filmed, the less room they have to cover things up or the alternative means we get to see what things they will lie about.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Are you kidding, watching Jinger navigate LA is enough. they STILL have the fucking Kardashian's on TV FFS and they don't do anything but show their asses and spread STDS. It will be Keeping up with the Vulo's as they navigate a wholesome life in a sin filled city.  It will be KUWTK for fundyland. 

Um, Julia Louis-Dreyfus. 

Talking spin off only...she is successful because she has talent!

• Upvote 10

Watching Jinger trying to navigate LA would be mind-numbing. They tried that with Anna in D.C. and barely got one episode out of it. It's just not interesting. Counting On itself is a total snooze fest, it's amazing to me that they're keeping it going, and it must be running on fumes at this point. 'Wide-eyed Jinger pushes a stroller down a busy street/gets stuck in a traffic jam/visits a scary loud liberal part of the city' - who is that going to entertain? It's all be done already with the rest of the family.

Edit: Also, I've never watched the Kardashians, but my understanding is that it's a show filled with drama. That's why it's popular, that's why people keep tuning in. Drama! There is no drama on Counting On. Even the parts that might be dramatic, TLC somehow manages to make incredibly dull. It's basically the equivalent of a sanitized spread in People magazine, just stretched out over an hour of screen time, and it's awful. If TLC completely changed their approach... actually, no. Even then, I can't see how the Vuolos in LA would be interesting enough to sustain their own show.

Edited by singsingsing
  • Upvote 26

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Watching Jinger trying to navigate LA would be mind-numbing. They tried that with Anna in D.C. and barely got one episode out of it. It's just not interesting. Counting On itself is a total snooze fest, it's amazing to me that they're keeping it going, and it must be running on fumes at this point. 'Wide-eyed Jinger pushes a stroller down a busy street/gets stuck in a traffic jam/visits a scary loud liberal part of the city' - who is that going to entertain? It's all be done already with the rest of the family.

Edit: Also, I've never watched the Kardashians, but my understanding is that it's a show filled with drama. That's why it's popular, that's why people keep tuning in. Drama! There is no drama on Counting On. Even the parts that might be dramatic, TLC somehow manages to make incredibly dull. It's basically the equivalent of a sanitized spread in People magazine, just stretched out over an hour of screen time, and it's awful. If TLC completely changed their approach... actually, no. Even then, I can't see how the Vuolos in LA would be interesting enough to sustain their own show.

While ITA with your comment, we’ve all been burned with the “who would watch that” default too many times with these folks. Obviously, someone IS interested in these folks and their drivel. What’s so odd to me is the show is so far removed from the “freak show” nature of the original show, yet people still watch. It’s merely people watching really boring people.

• Upvote 10

39 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Actually, maybe I'm wrong to hope for school for Felicity.  It seems that Grace Community School closed in 2014.  https://www.cde.ca.gov/schooldirectory/details?cdscode=19647336917835

Aw, I hadn't hear that. I know people who attended. Village Christian School is close by, I know people who went there too.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

While ITA with your comment, we’ve all been burned with the “who would watch that” default too many times with these folks. Obviously, someone IS interested in these folks and their drivel. What’s so odd to me is the show is so far removed from the “freak show” nature of the original show, yet people still watch. It’s merely people watching really boring people.

This is my point, there is an audience a fairly big one who would love to watch these two sit and drink coffee all day.  Visits from various siblings of Jinger's I don't know who would be more cringe worthy to watch in LA, Joy & Austin or Joe & Kendra. 

I don't know, these people (the viewers & the Duggars) get excited about Kirk Cameron movies, they have nothing to do, watching paint dry on TV would be exciting for some of them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Aw, I hadn't hear that. I know people who attended. Village Christian School is close by, I know people who went there too.

Yeah, I was looking at their website and while I'm sure their lawn shaped like a coat of arms would appeal to Jeremy, I also thought he might find them insufficiently doctrinally rigorous. They seem to be all about cultivating your personal relationship with Christ through love. Can't have Felicity (or even worse, any male children) stolen away from Calvinism. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Except for Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who has had two successful tv shows (but neither were spin offs).  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Idk if TLC is gonna be happy about this one. There’s a big difference between flying the crew between Laredo and Arkansas, and flying between Cali and Arkansas. That’s a looong flight. I wonder if we will see much of them after the move for the logistics alone. 

I think we will see plenty of them... on their own show, ha ha. 

7 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I don't think these two are interesting enough to have their own spin off show.

Really, neither does Counting On, and that doesn't seem to stop TLC. They have so many 'reality shows' that are essentially filled with nothing but fluff, and yet they draw in viewers. 

I think we will definitely see a spin off show focused on Jeremy and Jinger. It'll highlight Jeremy's ministry, and it will focus on Jinger adjusting to a quieter life without her big family. They're very fundie hipster~ and I think the show will reflect on that lots. Anytime viewership starts to dip, they'll fly in a Duggar family member for an episode. 

15 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really do not understand where this spin-off show idea is coming from. 

I don’t either.  The Duggars’ appeal has always been about them as a family unit, not the individual members.  A series may get some interest at first, but  even the fans will tire of it quickly because it doesn’t feature enough of the family.

I could see TLC doing a JinJer special, or bonus episode to end a season, but not a whole series.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

30 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

I really do not understand where this spin-off show idea is coming from. 

Nothing else to talk about  

Trying to figure out the logistics of filming in NWA & LA. but they did go to SCA with the boring ass Dullard's. 

Idle speculation 

Essentially we made it up and are running with it. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8

The spin off could make sense as a place holder since nothing else remotely interesting is happening that we know of.    Waiting for Squidward Seaweed’s birth is the only event we know of in the works, and really how interesting is that?  I wish Jessa a safe and drama free labor and delivery, but that does not translate into magazine covers.

Anyway, while they wait for the twins to turn 21 in December and to look old enough to court, a season focusing on JinJer moving house could keep some momentum going for the show.    Jana and the boys could come renovate and decorate for an episode or two, Jabbie could stop by on their way to more prey-cations in the Philippines. JimBob and Mechelle could visit and act like the jerks they are using their ten words of spanish to try to communicate in an Asian market.   JinJer could take  Hannie, Jennifer and Jordyn to live theater or music that is not bible based.

So many low budget story lines exist, and it would be effortless for TLC to assemble a camera crew in the LA metro area.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Um, Julia Louis-Dreyfus. 

JLD 2020!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

GCC is a horribly conservative place. They're Calvinist to the extreme, and their view about women is sexist as all get out. Moreover, that accreditation issue is still outstanding. That place doesn't exist unless students can get loans.  The accreditation report was damning as hell. And GCC and The Master's University haven't done much at all in addressing the accreditors. MacArthur still runs the show, they still hire too many internal grads, they were running in the red already, the board is all beholden to Johnny Mac and the nepotism is still there.

However, it doesn't surprise me that Jeremy is going there. His little church in Laredo was linked up to GCC, as much as churches in a non-denomination "denomination" are linked up.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Love or hate the Kardashians, they remain on TV because there's a sizable group of people who genuinely do enjoy watching the lifestyles of the very rich AND because they aren't afraid to act crazy and be "characters" in front of the camera.  For many of us, shows like the Kardashians (and similar shows, like the Real Housewives series, or the earlier incarnations of the same theme, like Cribs and Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, or EVEN EARLIER incarnations that have been around for hundreds of years, like domestic house tourism through great estates) are the closest we will ever come to high end luxury living.  It's a chance to see something you've never seen before and are unlikely to be able to see on your own.  That's interesting to many viewers.  The Kardashians also take care to make sure they generate storylines and always have some form of very public drama.  I can't think of a time since the show started when there wasn't a Kardashian in the tabloids for something or other.  And on camera, they are interesting.  They overreact.  They ugly cry.  They yell.  They scream.  They cuss each other out.  They get way too drunk.  The Kardashians show it all, and people like that glimpse into a life so different from their own.  People hate on them, but there is a formula here.  They know what they are doing, and they do enough to draw viewers.

As for the Duggars, they have none of those things.  The kids are pretty regular.  They live a regular life.  They have regular money.  They buy regular toys. They wear regular clothes.  They do regular things.  They don't air any of their drama.  They always keep sweet as opposed to showing real emotion.  They don't fight.  They're the saltine crackers of reality TV, and that's a niche, but it's hard to maintain that niche because that doesn't generally draw an audience like the Kardashians do, especially long term.  I would rather watch Kim and Khloe navigate LA (a town where they are from) than JinJer because Kim and Khloe are simply more interesting to watch.  Kim and Khloe get lost, they might get frustrated, start fighting, or start cracking jokes, which might be interesting.  Jinger and Jeremy get lost, it's going to be "Where do you think we are, babe?  Do you think we should go here, babe?  Whatever you think is best, babe."  until Jeremy (because it WILL be Jeremy) leads them on their way.  In the meantime, a funny yet common and relatable parenting incident will happen with Felicity.  Yawn.  

I think they would be a good B story for a season of Counting On (with an episode where their move is the main arc), because I think a lot of their viewers are not from big cities and may be interested in that transition.  However, I think a spin off is too much.  They would have to include too much discussion of "unsavory" influences, and many of the Duggars fanbase watch the Duggars specifically because it is "safe" family TV.  

And finally, just because the Kardashians have an openly sexual image, does not mean they spread STDs. I don't watch the Kardashians, but a quick google search suggests that's some rather toxic speculation as opposed to a bona fide plot line from the show or a news story.   If I missed some Kardashian news because I don't pay attention to them, I apologize, but otherwise that's a terrible allegation to throw out there purely on the basis of someone having a highly sexualized image.   Just because someone has a lot of sex or is open about having sex or likes to show off their body does not mean they are "dirty" or spreading disease.  In fact, if you pay attention to the Kardashians, they tend to gravitate towards monogamy.  The Kardashians have access to the best medicine available, and they are in medical offices frequently for image tune ups.  They are very likely managing their sexual tightly health along with the rest of their physical health, especially since it could damage their brand.  

• Upvote 36
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

Jinger must be screaming, even louder this time, "Free at last!!" SOOOOOOOOO far away from the fam-damn-ly!

Prediction:  being in LA may actually make them even more conservative.  It is one thing to be a strict Conservative in a place like Texas or Arkansas, but sometimes when you become the "outsider" on the fringe, you tend to find your own tribe and cling even more tightly.  I know this happened when we moved from Massachusetts to Texas.  My mom, in particular, found her Democrat "peeps" and I think enjoyed herself more being in that small group than she did when she was just one of many in Massachusetts.  My liberal siblings who attended the very conservative Baylor (it was conservative at the time--no dancing, boys not allowed in the girls' dorms---heck, even my dad couldn't go into my sister's dorm!  but I digress . . . )  they used to laugh because after all the Young Republicans news in the college newspaper, it was always announced that the Young Democrats would be meeting in the blue Volkswagen parked in front of the student union or some such thing.

JinJer will surely find a like-minded troupe and feel superior to the heathen around them.*

*Fully aware that I was guilty of that in reverse . . .

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

It seems to me not that they're angling for a spin off but screen time. They seem eager to be given segments every episode which makes sense if the idle speculation of them having their own agreement is true. If they're paid by the episode, they want to shown and be popular because that keeps the money coming in. They dont want to be phased out as the occasionally appearing in laws.

• Upvote 6

Which spin off would you all least likely watch?  I guess Josh & Anna is the obvious one.  Even before the scandal, he bugged the crap out of me because he was SO smug.  But aside from Josh & Anna . . .

• I am going to go with Josiah and Lauren. I can't quite put my finger on why he annoys me the most.  I sense the smugness in him as well. Plus, she ranks very high on the fundie gaze/breathy voice.
  • The more I've seen out of JD, the more I don't like him. I am normally not this mean, even on FJ, but the dude needs to wash his hair.  I'd also hate to see Abbie after she gave up a career that she loved. I admire the hell out of nurses, and am sad that she had to give that up in order to make scented candles and lots of babies.
  • A Jill & Derick spinoff would be hard to watch, but entertaining in a can't-look-away-from-the-car-accident kind of way.
  • Jessa, at least, is funny and knows how to put on a show. The boys are cute.
  • I really don't like JinJer. She wears pretty clothes.  The baby is cute.  That's all I got.
  • The Joe & Kendra show seems as if it would be dull.  She is adorable and very cheery. She should be a kindergarten teacher.  But I don't think they could make a show out of what they've got going on.
  • A Joy-Austin show might be amusing.  They could flip houses.  And I admit to admiring her don't-give-two-fucks attitude.
  • Upvote 18

• Coconut Flan locked this topic