IGNORED

JinJer 48: California Love

Georgiana

4 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Bob the bobcat of course!  ;)  

2 hours ago, Smee said:

Bob-Jim?

Roarfus? Smugfus (the smug apex predator that is really not apex?)? 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Is it staged, or is their decor really that boring? That’s a fuckton of mugs in the dining room. It’s interesting that Jeremy seems to be trying to sell without a realtor. I wonder what the story of the taxidermy bobcat is. No sign of Rufus.

I am really hoping that Bob-Jim the Taxidermied patronus of hermeneutics and pocket squares is part of the staging.  But I will be totes upset if Rufus doesn't move to California.

I would totally put Rufus in my office.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 9

are we talking houses prices because as of three weeks ago the website that was wonderful that every single house and apartment on it that was for sale, went down and the real estate board here created a new one that I HATE that I Have no idea what is happening real estate wise. 

:D

it's very stressing not knowing 

12 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I don't see anything about it that looks cheap? It looks like a not brand new house with some moderate renovations. 

A lot of things to be honest. But again, I live in the highest priced market in the country, her house on my street would be sold in the 7 figures and immediately torn down and rebuilt. There are just different expectations for finishes and details when you pay that much.

- skinny (cheap) baseboards

- very cheap/basic looking kitchen cabinetry, hard to tell on photos but it looks like a bad paint job to me, and one of the drawers is clearly broken (the one under sink)

- cheap/basic tiling throughout. Tiles done poorly, go right to French doors in living room, for example (should be a marble doorway threshold, or if you're cheap at least a threshold of some sort but they have none, somebody literally just cut the tiles and left a gap)

- bathrooms not updated, the tub in the blue bathroom looks filthy, needs to be replaced, no glass-enclosed showers

- none of the windows are framed, none of the doorways are framed

- basic appliances

• Move Along 3
  • Downvote 4
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

19 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

A lot of things to be honest. But again, I live in the highest priced market in the country, her house on my street would be sold in the 7 figures and immediately torn down and rebuilt. There are just different expectations for finishes and details when you pay that much.

- very cheap/basic looking kitchen cabinetry, hard to tell on photos but it looks like a bad paint job to me, and one of the drawers is clearly broken (the one under sink)

- cheap/basic tiling throughout. Tiles done poorly, go right to French doors in living room, for example (should be a marble doorway threshold, or if you're cheap at least a threshold of some sort but they have none, somebody literally just cut the tiles and left a gap)

- bathrooms not updated, the tub in the blue bathroom looks filthy, needs to be replaced, no glass-enclosed showers

- basic appliances

Some of us cannot afford marble opulence. Or want it.

By the way, that taxidermied bobcat in Jeremy's study is probably worth over a thousand dollars, like this one: https://safariworkstaxidermysales.com/products/bobcat-taxidermy-mount-sw8922

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 3

27 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

- basic appliances

Sounds like they are living within their means. I don’t see a problem with it? So much other stuff to snark on them for. 

??‍♀️

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 3

At we sure that thing is taxidermy and not an artificial statue?  

38 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Sounds like they are living within their means. I don’t see a problem with it? So much other stuff to snark on them for. 

??‍♀️

Thank you.  For all the awfulness that is the Vuolo’s their lack of marble thresholds isn’t making the list.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Edited because “is” and “isn’t” are two different words
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 9

21 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Super curious where you are! I live in NJ, and our housing market is actually insane. Our condo (that we rented) was about 850 sq ft., 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and was on the market for over $250k. 

I'm in central upstate New York. South of the Syracuse metro area. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

"should be a marble doorway threshold, or if you're cheap at least a threshold of some sort" is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard this week, so there's that.

As some here know I’m currently house hunting with a looming deadline and if I add marble thresholds on my must have list that would soooo up my degree of difficulty!

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 9

thresholds don't have to be marble, sometimes they are just that weird gold-metal strip that your toe always hits on the way into the bathroom!

I've never seen a dwelling without them, be it dorms, my shitty NYC apt, my okay Boston apt, my childhood home, etc. 

Well damn, I didn't even know people used marble for thresholds. But what do I know. I'm perfectly happy with our laminate flooring and counter tops in our super affordable 3bed 2bath "mobile" home sans thresholds :mindblowing:

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

This always shocks me so much! Older homes have so much character. The woodwork in our home (built in 1910) is stunning and sure we might not have the most updated kitchen but we have a classic 1940s kitchen and it's gorgeous.  I hate when people here tear down beautiful old homes to build some cookie cutter high end "palace" especially because it usually ends up on the market 10-20 years later just looking horribly dated (90s brass bathroom fixtures I'm looking at you)

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 25
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, AtlanticTug said:

I live in the highest priced market in the country, her house on my street would be sold in the 7 figures and immediately torn down and rebuilt. 

I’m guessing you’re in the SFO Bay Area? 

Edited by bal maiden
Revealed more personal info than I was comfortable with
  • Upvote 2

I think older homes have so much character. I lived in a house in university that was built around 1920. It was small in places and there were many strange nooks and crannies; but was it ever fun! I am so sick of the stale open layout, everything is white or grey, a kitchen with an island, blinding tiles on the walls of the bathroom. Blah, I'll go back to that little house with the bathroom where I would hit my head while I was drying my hair any day of the week! 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I hope we sing this at church next week:

I'm kneeling at the marble threshold,
So weary faint and sore;
Waiting for the dawning,
The opening of the door;
I'm waiting 'till the basic Master
Shall bid me rise and come
To his all glorious cheaply tiled presence,
The gladness of his no glass enclosed shower home.

Refrain:
Kneeling at the threshold,
Weary faint and sore;
Kneeling at the threshold,
My hand is on the door.

PS I'm assuming Heaven is handicapped accessible--so no thresholds at all.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 3

Bob Bob Cat is there to remind Kitty Vuolo what’s going to happen to him if he ever barfs or pee’s on Jeremy’s precious books or clothes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

I love seeing how others live, so I love house listings (esp for fundies of which I love to snark on). I understand that a sales ad is not representative, but still..! It is fascinating.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

Looking at all those mugs in the dining area right by the table....All I can think about is how easy they would be to bump into. Broken mugs, anyone?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

On 5/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, tabitha2 said:

Michelle looks really strained or uncomfortable in that photo.

She looks fine to me, she looks relaxed and happy. At least as happy as she can feel. 

I still think that Michelle is heavily medicated and is living life in a fog of sedatives, of one sort or another.  

• Upvote 3

I had to google image search “marble threshold” because I wasn’t totally sure that we were talking about what I thought we were talking about. I do not have thresholds of any kind between the tile and carpet in ANY of the rooms in my house, but now I want a sloped one between the bathroom and hallway. We renovated the bathroom at the end of last year and now the floor sits like 2-3 inches higher than the rest of the house.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Thorns said:

I spot FJ's new deity! Co-ruling the forrest of fundy-snark with Rufus, the antlered Saviour. 

What shall we call the Kitty God? 

Jim-Bobcat the purr-secuted!

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Haha 10

13 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Well damn, I didn't even know people used marble for thresholds. But what do I know. I'm perfectly happy with our laminate flooring and counter tops in our super affordable 3bed 2bath "mobile" home sans thresholds :mindblowing:

Personally, I was unhappy when my mom replaced her laminate kitchen floor with hardwood flooring. It is so much more difficult to clean! if I ever remodel a home or build my own, I'd pick laminate flooring for kitchen and bathroom.

IMO, marble has its place in gorgeous Italian statues. Households... not so much.

Edited by J.O.Y.nomore
  • I Agree 4

I LOVE the fact that we renovated our apartment in such a way that all floors are on the same level. Some are hardwood and some are tile but when you're vacuuming there are no thresholds to bump over. The only threshold is in front of the bathroom and it's made of bathroom tile- if the room happens to flood I believe it's a good idea to not have the water draining further out.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic