IGNORED

JinJer 48: California Love

Georgiana

Forget Wal*Marts, Michelle, because Jinger is headed to an undeniably big city: Los Angeles!  It's unlikely the Vuolo family will change much in terms of their beliefs, but none of the Duggar comments to Jinger on giving up her city dreams to focus on "contentment" have aged well.   And what are we here for if not to celebrate when asinine Duggar comments come back to bite them?

But Jinger is finally headed to her big city.  And if any Duggars ever tell a daughter to give up on their dreams ever again, they can take the 40 W to the 210, merge on to the 605 S, take the exit from the 605 to the 10, take the 10 to the 101, skip ALL the exits, and NEVER come back!

(If you've never seen the SNL skit The Californians, which is where this joke is borrowed from, it's so accurate to LA that it hurts)

Continued from:

• Upvote 22
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 14
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

The most exciting thing about this, to me, is that GCC has school. If Jeremy ends up getting a position in LA, the chances of Felicity and her siblings not being home schooled is much higher.

• Upvote 32
  • Love 2

Does a move like this warrant "we're so happy for y'all" videos from the fam?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 16
  • Love 2

I hope LA proves to be a positive experience for Jing as a person.....heck, can we be hopeful that if at anything else, the Vuolos slide into a more liberal form of Christianity? I just want Jing to experience LA, a REAL CITY AWAY FROM A WALMART, MULLET. 

I hope they earn new friends and experiences. That Lissy will get to go to school, and JInger can try things like yoga, Nike'ing it up at Venice Beach, etc......

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

I am not happy. I stopped watching this show and will have to start up again because of the LA move. I have lived here my entire life So I have to see a Duggar living in my hood.

Is this Grace church in Sun Valley or in Seal Beach? Both came up for me on google.  I am guessing Sun Valley. At least they will be used to the heat come summer. I do wonder about housing. I assume they are going to live in the valley to be closer to the church and it’s much cheaper. I spend nearly $2k in rent for a one bedroom apartment in the city, in a semi-decent neighborhood, so I can’t see them leaving the valley. (You could not pay me enough to live in the valley. I hate the heat and traffic getting in and out of the valley). Due to the traffic, if they live in the valley, they aren’t going to be going into the city often during the week unless it’s really necessary or In the middle of the day. They will likely need to stay on the show to pay the bills. It’s gets so hot in the valley, you could be paying a thousand every two months for electricity. My friend pays $1,500 every two months when the heat is doing it’s thing.

i hope Jeremy knows that their Counting On “celebrity” will mean nothing in LA. Hell, you can be a huge star and people who live here don’t care. Honestly, living in Los Angeles is in many ways like living anywhere else if you are working and just going about your normal day. There are just more places to go, it’s more expensive and more accepting of people in general. 

I had a friend that church hopped and went to Hillsong for awhile. She is no where near fundy and never told me anything about it that seemed fundy. What she did mention was that most people there were young and wealthy. They were using it more as a social scene than seeking religion. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 25
  • Love 2

I'm cackling for some reason over their blog post about it being "overwhelmingly clear" they're being led out of Laredo. I guess that's nicer than "we're getting the fuck out of here!".

Am also part jealous because living in SoCal was always a dream of mine. One that many shitted on which possibly contributed to my decision that it was too big of a risk. I wish I could take a leap and if it didn't work out just say that I was called in another direction where no one around me would question that answer. 

TLC must be so excited, they get more home makover footage out of this. Will Felicity's new bedroom have a Cali theme to it? Will they show them rollerskating on the beach? So many questions!!

I know it would never happen but I want Jinger to take a picture in front of a Walmart in LA, and post it saying "look Ma I finally made it!" 

ETA: I forgot the most important question - what will happen to Jeremy's bookcases?!?!

Edited by bella8050
  • Upvote 27
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

I'll consider Jinger 'free' when she has a husband who encourages and supports her in being something other than a SAHM/SAHW.

Jeremy seems very calculated to me. No Josh-style downfalls for him! I don't think Josh had an end goal in mind; he got a wife because of his 'urges', and he lucked into a job at the... whatever it was called in D.C. And he squandered it (I bet he's still kicking himself for that). Jeremy knows what he wants, and he's got a plan to get it.

TBH, they seem pretty well suited to me. Jinger gets her city and I see them stopping at 4 kids max. I wonder if they discussed this whilst courting? Or he could have watched the episode where she said she wanted to live in a city ? I'm from the rural 'Rust Belt' -- no one dreams of living 15 minutes from a Walmart!

• Upvote 25
  • Love 1

Idk if TLC is gonna be happy about this one. There’s a big difference between flying the crew between Laredo and Arkansas, and flying between Cali and Arkansas. That’s a looong flight. I wonder if we will see much of them after the move for the logistics alone. 

• Upvote 7

I shared on a facebook group but I'm just curious to see how his schooling is going to go with the school having accreditation issues that have yet to be fixed. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I think they will wind up staying in Cali and Jeremy will be surprisingly successful as a pastor in California.  I hope that Jinger will gain a greater perspective of the world, but I am not holding my breath. 

Edited by TXGirlInAMaterialWorld
clarification
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Idk if TLC is gonna be happy about this one. There’s a big difference between flying the crew between Laredo and Arkansas, and flying between Cali and Arkansas. That’s a looong flight. I wonder if we will see much of them after the move for the logistics alone. 

They will have their own show.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Couldn't the show have a seperate crew that films JinJer in California, then sends the footage to the editors so it can be mish mashed into episodes? This show already spans a few different towns, and international honeymoons, I doubt all the crew is at every shoot. Between screwy timelines, flashbacks, talkings heads and recycled footage, the show's already a collage, why would having JinJer in LA be any different?

I don't think these two are interesting enough to have their own spin off show.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10

6 hours ago, socalrules said:

Is this Grace church in Sun Valley or in Seal Beach? Both came up for me on google.  I am guessing Sun Valley. At least they will be used to the heat come summer. I do wonder about housing. I assume they are going to live in the valley to be closer to the church and it’s much cheaper. I spend nearly $2k in rent for a one bedroom apartment in the city, in a semi-decent neighborhood, so I can’t see them leaving the valley. (You could not pay me enough to live in the valley. I hate the heat and traffic getting in and out of the valley). Due to the traffic, if they live in the valley, they aren’t going to be going into the city often during the week unless it’s really necessary or In the middle of the day. 

Sun Valley is the main church campus. I know about the driving thing. If she really liked the Huntington Gardens that much, Jeremy should have applied to Fuller Seminary instead, but Fuller is really liberal comparatively. 

• Upvote 4

I don't think Jinger being free or not has anything to do with whether she's a stay at home mom or what Jeremy thinks. Jinger will be free when she stops being Jeremy's follower and makes her own decisions, when she educates herself about the world, when she has control over how many children she has, and when she lets go of doctrines that oppress her like purity and modesty. 

I don't see this ever happening fully, but I hope that she'll learn more about the world being in LA, and I do have hope that Felicity will be freer than Jinger ever was if she gets a real education at a school. Education gives you the knowledge and skills necessary to know what choices you have and plan your life the way you want---denying kids this is one of the worst things extreme fundamentalism does. 

It's also totally possible that Jinger and/or Felicity could be free and still have beliefs that are hateful and harmful towards others.  

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

I’m pretty sure that California also has much stricter laws/regulations about filming children. Number of hours, pay, etc are going to be a factor much more in California than Arkansas or Texas. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

If I remember correctly, during one of the TH they were playing the "how well do you know your partner", (I think it was JoKen's bachelor party thing), the question was "if you go anywhere in the world, where would you go?" Germys answer was L.A. funny that ;) 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

They will have their own show.  

But what is the hook? I definitely think TLC is floating ideas for Duggar spin offs, and there have been a few episodes that felt like back door pilots. I’m just not sure what Jinger and Jeremy would do to make a show work... They don’t (and probably won’t) have a huge family. They don’t have any interesting skills or hobbies. They seem the thirstiest for a show, but lead the least interesting day-to-day lives. A spin off would just be footage of them reading and drinking coffee?

Ill conceived spin offs I can actually see happening:

Diet and exercise makeovers with Ben

Day-to-day operations of the family camp with Joy and Austin

Home renovations and decor with Joy/Austin and Jana

US-based travel show with John David and Abbie (plus a rotating cast of Duggars)

• Upvote 13

Moving to LA and being away from Duggars maybe is small step for Jinger, and yes her belives stays the same, but if we take a look like only 5 years back, Jinger got a long way, and a lot of things changed. From frumpers and a messy life in a Duggar compound, she started to dress modern, wearing pants and showing kness and shoulders. Could anyone imagine these would happen 5-10 years ago?  There were hopes and wild imagination but no one could tell for sure. Its a big change in general. 

Maybe in next 5 years some other things change, for an example, Felicity going to a real school. 

And in some way i think she is giveing the middle finger to anyone who was loughing at her for wanting to live in a big city. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

Why would they have their own show? I mean individual Kardashians can’t really pull it off because not enough people care. None of those individual/couple celeb shows really lasted (Tori Spelling did one, Lisa Rinna did one, Jessica Simpson back in the day) - you need a cast like Real Housewives or some special gimmick otherwise and they don’t have it. And frankly Jinger and Jeremy are excruciatingly boring, you’d have a much mire “fun” time watching Jill and Derick do idiotic things. Jeremy is way too self-aware and trying to keep up a polished image so he can get a big church and Jinger has the personality of styrofoam. And sorry but she’s way too “worldly” already to make the move to LA interesting. It isn’t as if she’s a fundie Mormon wife who ran away from a polygamous marriage with 7 kids and is now trying to make it in civilization on her own for the first time.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10

D   They will have their own show because everyone is giddy with joy that Jinger wears pants and sleeveless shirts so she must be free. Oh, They aren’t ugly or frumpy like Derrick and Jill.

• Haha 6

My wish for them in LA: living in an apartment complex with common areas (and a pool & play equipment) filled with diverse neighbors of all colors, beliefs and sexual orientations.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9

Jinger and Jeremy are far too boring to have their own show. The only interesting thing about the Duggars is that they're super religious and have a jaw-dropping number of kids. And that's being strained even with Counting On, because they're trying harder to hide their actual religion, and the individual couples all have normal numbers of children so far. The only thing that would have made Counting On truly interesting would be if it had taken a more honest documentary-style look at their lives. But of course TLC wasn't going to do that. I think this is why Counting On has been morphing back into 19K&Counting with Jim Bob and Michelle and the younger kids seen more and more.

Edited by singsingsing
removing an extra letter
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 12

• Coconut Flan locked this topic