IGNORED

Verizon suspends hero who rescued a cat

HarryPotterFan

Verizon is facing the wrath of cat lovers for its decision to suspend a worker without pay for using the company's equipment to rescue a feline stuck atop a utility pole in Philadelphia. 

The employee, Maurice German, violated Verizon's safety rules when he used a Verizon "bucket" truck's hydraulic lift to save the cat, "Princess Momma," earlier this month, the telecommunications company said.

The cat's owner had called the fire department, animal rescue and the telephone company before German, who was working nearby, responded to pleas that he help the kitty, who had been stuck for 12 hours, one resident told a local CBS affiliate. 

More, including photo at

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/verizon-suspends-worker-who-rescued-cat-telephone-pole/

My family would drop Verizon right now if they weren’t the only network that worked in our neighborhood. I would have given that man a raise. And thrown him a parade.

It looks like his GFM’s are doing well so he will recoup his lost wages. I’m a cat lover and I can’t imagine ignoring the pleas of the owner to help. I would also want to help even if it is against the safety policy of my employer. 

6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

More, including photo at

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/verizon-suspends-worker-who-rescued-cat-telephone-pole/

My family would drop Verizon right now if they weren’t the only network that worked in our neighborhood. I would have given that man a raise. And thrown him a parade.

Ohhh, I'm torn. I'm glad the kitty is ok, but the violation of safety rules and procedures really makes me cringe. He probably broke about 100 safety rules and OSHA guidelines. I wonder why the fire department or animal rescue wasn't helping? 

I hope I don't sound heartless! The cat is safe and the Verizon worker seems to be getting a lot of donations from Gofundme, so perhaps it all worked out in the end. 

@Lisafer That’s why they suspended him, but the kitty had been there for so long and no one was helping. Poor scared kitty. As a cat lady I’d also say, “Fuck the rules, fuck safety, I’m helping the kitty”

The fire department did help my family once when Mr. Kitty got himself stuck in a tree. No idea why they didn’t help this kitty

30 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@Lisafer That’s why they suspended him, but the kitty had been there for so long and no one was helping. Poor scared kitty. As a cat lady I’d also say, “Fuck the rules, fuck safety, I’m helping the kitty”

I understand. I imagine the guy was aware of the possible job-related consequences when he went up there. 

That is the proper use of things like social media and GoFundMe.

14 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I understand. I imagine the guy was aware of the possible job-related consequences when he went up there. 

Yeah, I think sometimes you have to break the rules to do what you feel is right, even when knowing there are consequences. Especially if it means saving a kitty. (I’m such a cat lady, I can’t stand to see one in distress)

23 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

More, including photo at

I have Verizon because it's the only one that really works out where we live.  But I would consider dropping them if I could.  He did something nice and caring, and he deserves a bonus

Archived