Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
singsingsing

The Victorian Duggars

Recommended Posts

Wine time!
klein_roeschen

Surprise, surprise, my name made no 7 in my birthyear both in Germany and the US and I unfortunatly share it with the blessed little dog groomer, the queen of poopistan. For 1883 where no records available, but for 1890, I would be a Gertrud in Germany and a Bertha in the US. While I dodged Erna, the name of my paternal grandmother by one place, Gertrud was my maternal grandmother's name.  And for 1933, I would either be Renate or Margaret. And today would be either Anna or Charlotte. N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea

I'm reviving this to do Germanic Medieval Duggars, using the wonderful Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources:

http://dmnes.org/names

I'm going to do an ABC theme. I love these old compound Germanic names! So great! (Some are found in France and England but all are Germanic linguistically unless I couldn't find one; then they're Biblical.)

Josh --> Adelger "noble spear" - snicker re infidelity, snicker

Jana --> Bertegilde "bright reward"

John --> Caspar [uncertain meaning, one of the three wise men] - there don't seem to be any Germanic names starting with C, all I'm seeing is Biblical and Celtic

Jill --> Druda "strength"

Jessa --> Engelfrida "angel's peace"

Jinger --> Frothilde "wise battle"

Joseph -->Gisbern "arrow bear"

Josiah --> Helmrich "helmet ruler"

Joy-Anna --> "Ingitrude [something] strength or maiden"

Jedidiah --> Jeremias [biblical]

Jeremiah --> Ketilbern "kettle bear"

Jason --> Ludolf "people wolf"

James --> Meinbold "bold strength"

Justin --> Nadalbert "bright birth"

Jackson --> Odalgard "homestead yard"

Johanna --> Priscilla [biblical]

Jennifer --> Queneva "woman gift"

Jordyn --> Reinhilde "battle council"

Josie --> Sennehilda "battle meaning" "battle opinion"?

Why were Germanic Kettle Bears and Homestead Yards running around in ye olden days? We'll never know!

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ihaveanexamintwodays

Teehee, my century-earlier name would have been Lessie. I don't have a middle name. My fiancé's name would have been Cleve Joe (this makes me think of the Mortons...). 

I looked up some of the names I want to use for my future children O.o. My firstborn daughter could be #190 or 361 or 401.....and her two middle names would be #641 & 263 by 2018 data, haha. My firstborn son would be first-name #393, middle names could be #162 or #11 or #44. I wonder what it'll look like whenever I actually have kids lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mrs Ms
On 9/4/2019 at 2:57 AM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I'm reviving this to do Germanic Medieval Duggars, using the wonderful Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources:

http://dmnes.org/names

I'm going to do an ABC theme. I love these old compound Germanic names! So great! (Some are found in France and England but all are Germanic linguistically unless I couldn't find one; then they're Biblical.)

Josh --> Adelger "noble spear" - snicker re infidelity, snicker

Jana --> Bertegilde "bright reward"

John --> Caspar [uncertain meaning, one of the three wise men] - there don't seem to be any Germanic names starting with C, all I'm seeing is Biblical and Celtic

Jill --> Druda "strength"

Jessa --> Engelfrida "angel's peace"

Jinger --> Frothilde "wise battle"

Joseph -->Gisbern "arrow bear"

Josiah --> Helmrich "helmet ruler"

Joy-Anna --> "Ingitrude [something] strength or maiden"

Jedidiah --> Jeremias [biblical]

Jeremiah --> Ketilbern "kettle bear"

Jason --> Ludolf "people wolf"

James --> Meinbold "bold strength"

Justin --> Nadalbert "bright birth"

Jackson --> Odalgard "homestead yard"

Johanna --> Priscilla [biblical]

Jennifer --> Queneva "woman gift"

Jordyn --> Reinhilde "battle council"

Josie --> Sennehilda "battle meaning" "battle opinion"?

Why were Germanic Kettle Bears and Homestead Yards running around in ye olden days? We'll never know!

So, the name of my mother-in-law is on that list and no, it’s not biblical.... :goldfish:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jillsdopplerofdoom

My name would be Loretta Mahala. Hmm, I quite like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satisfied
scoutsadie

My almost-100 years ago name would be Grace Emily... my twin's would be Cordelia Lucretia (hers is much cooler than mine!).

I like the mix-up of those names as Cordelia Emily and Lucretia Grace. We'd be Cordy and Lucy. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neurogirl
On 10/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, scoutsadie said:

I like the mix-up of those names as Cordelia Emily and Lucretia Grace. We'd be Cordy and Lucy. :smile:

That sounds like the Betsy-Tacy novels! I bet it would make a wonderful story about two playful Victorian girls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rainbowbabycakes

I finally did mine... My first name was #17 the year I was born, and my middle was #6

100 years before, I would have been Laura Margaret

50 years before, it would have been Elizabeth Patricia

in 2018, I would have been Sofia Charlotte

 

My son was #87 for his first name, and 12 for his middle

100 years- Marvin Walter

50 years- Rick Joseph

2018- Ezekiel Ethan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing

100 Years Ago: Elizabeth Birdie 

50 Years Ago: Shirley Rachel 

2018: Isabella Brooklynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
catlady

Whoa.  #3 in that link makes Heistheway actually sound good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spent
WiseGirl
3 minutes ago, catlady said:

Whoa.  #3 in that link makes Heistheway actually sound good.  

You made me look. Fly-fornication has a lovely ring to it though (further down the list).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nervous
Audrey2

Abstinence? Really? What an awful name!

Is that the name of a child you really didn't want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.