IGNORED

The Victorian Duggars

singsingsing

Love the thread!

My first & middle name made it on the top 100 of my birth year... Eh, could've been more common :P

My name would have been... Agnes Lydia. Would've reversed the order, but I like it! I think my real name would have been more common than Agnes Lydia, though.

• Upvote 2

Since I’m too old to have the data basebgo back a hundred years before my birth I used 1880 and my name would be Georgia Lydia.  

• Upvote 1

I tried to use the website to find my name but couldn’t make it work :my_sad:

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one who hears Mabel and thinks Mabel Pines? Ever since Gravity Falls, I see it as an eccentric little girl's name. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I’m finally getting around to this. Mine is “Viola Bertie.” Apparently Bertie was a girl’s name in 1880? (I’m too old for the data to go back a century.) I also did the search engine where you can see how your name has trended since 1900. Mine sank like a stone for most of the twentieth century. I wish they had a most popular middle names list. Although my middle name is not popular as a first name, it’s hugely popular as a middle name.

• Upvote 2

I would have the longer version of my name Deborah, don't like my name that much but always hated Deborah but it's better than a lot of names. I am glad my parents didn't put Deborah on my birth certificate, they both hated it. 

I have joked that if have a daughter I'd call her Alexa.

• Upvote 1

I think I'd be Anna Sophie, in the 1880s. I like it! Combined with my last name my initials would be quite unfortunate, however. My last name starts with an S.

• Haha 7

My great grandma, born in 1892, was born with the initials SAH. She decided at some point to turn them around so it would be ASH. This worked until she married someone whose last name started with S, at which time she became ASS. (It kind of described her personality, as I know many had issues with her.)

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 3

If you're like me, it took you forever to find out where on the SSA website to look!

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/index.html

Scroll down to "popular names by birth year" and click "percentage all names" and "top 1000."

My name 100 years before my birth would be Ardella Magdalene. I kinda like it! (I'm Canadian but used the US data because the provincial data is annoying to deal with.)

I thought it might be fun to do the Duggars 50 years before they were born.

Jim Bob - 1965 becomes 1915. James Robert are #4 and 5 in his birth year, making him Robert Joseph in 1915. So similar!

Michelle in 1916 becomes Margaret Jennie.

Josh in 1938 is William Thomas.

Jana in 1940 is Roslyn Janie.

John in 1940 is Joseph Charles.

Jill in 1941 is Marilynn Janice.

Jessa in 1942 is [Unranked] Shirley. The bottom J name on the Top 1000 in 1942 is Jocelyn so Jocelyn Shirley it is!

Jinger in 1943 is [Unranked] Judy. Same approach as above gives Janine Judy.

Joseph in 1945 is Donald Marvin.

Josiah in 1946 is Lowell Robert.

Joy-Anna in 1947 is Sheri-Cynthia.

That's the married-age kids done! Phew, better get back to work.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

On 3/29/2019 at 12:38 PM, Alisamer said:

And those of us with common names often end up with terrible songs including our names being sung at us.

Not just super common ones. My name is not that common but was featured pretty prominently in a recent extremely popular musical...so all of a sudden a few years ago I got people singing my name at me all the time!

• Upvote 2

I finally found my name for my birth year! I’m kinda surprised it was as popular as it was, top 200, I expected it to be a bit lower. I can’t find my middle name (named after my great grandmother, who was born in the 1900s/1910s not sure which) so I’ll go with lowest ranked name for that letter. Of course this is a British person using US data.

So, if I’ve calculated correctly, my 100-years-previously name is... Alberta Verlie. Yeah, not so great. My 50 years earlier name is Jackie Glinda. I prefer that name, not so much the Glinda (I’m not a “good witch” :pb_lol:) but Jackie is ok. My actual, current name was more popular in the 50-years-before-my-birth-year list. Unsurprisingly my current middle name does feature in the 50-years-earlier list. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Eponine said:

Not just super common ones. My name is not that common but was featured pretty prominently in a recent extremely popular musical...so all of a sudden a few years ago I got people singing my name at me all the time!

Eliza? Angelica? andPeggy?

I went out for dinner for my birthday the other day, and the girl performing there sang the song I hate with my name in it, then said "Speaking of... where's the birthday?"

Her version was actually less annoying than the recorded one, so there's that. There's a Misfits song I like that includes my name and my sister's name, but no one sings that one at us. 

• Upvote 5

I had to go back to the 1880's as well

I'm Cora Carrie.

• Upvote 3

The younger Duggars, 50 years earlier:

Jedidiah Robert in 1948 becomes [Unranked] Steven or Jared Steven.

Jeremiah Robert in 1948 becomes Eric Steven.

Jason in 1950 becomes Danny Robert.

James in 1951 becomes Stephen Richard - I like the idea of a slightly differently-spelled Steven than like 2 brothers before him!

Justin in 1952 is George Bruce.

Jackson in 1954 is Brian Brad! Hahaha, amazing.

Johannah in 1955 is [Unranked} Marilyn or Jannette Marilyn - poor Johannah still has a name really similar to a sister!

Jennifer in 1957 is Bonnie Regina. Whoo boy.

Jordan-Grace in 1958 is Belinda-Kathleen [Unranked] or Belinda-Kathleen Miranda.

Josie in 1959 is Beatrice Janice. Too many ices!

And a few grandkids:

Mackynzie in 1959 is [Unranked] Cecile or Marty Cecile.

Michael in 1961 is Mark Daniel.

Marcus in 1963 is Darren Daniel. Loving those Daniels!

Israel in 1965 is Terrance Christopher.

Meredith in 1965 is Debby Lori.

Spurgeon in 1965 is [Unranked] Chad or Stephon Chad.

Henry in 1967 is Paul [Unranked] or Paul Wyatt.

Sam in 1967 is Anthony Guadalupe. (Never heard the latter as a male name but why not.)

Mason in 1967 is Mark Rudolph.

There's no 2018 data so I'm too lazy to fudge the rest.

I kinda like this wholesome 1950s family full of Daniels, Stevens of various spellings, and Marks!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Oh man, I went down a rabbit hole. Here's my name:

50 years before I was born: Juliette Rhea.

30 years before I was born: Karol Twila. What the what.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2019 at 2:32 AM, nausicaa said:

And does anyone else with a sort of weird, unique name live in fear of their name becoming a trend? Or some terrorist or pedophile with the same name becoming infamous? Office Space instilled this fear into me. 

Not my name, but my kids’. I know someone who had a daughter called Elsa a year before Frozen came out. Which is not as bad as the parents who named their child after the Egyptian goddess Isis.

• Upvote 9

I thought about posting my "1880s name", but oddly, my middle name is ranked the same in both my birth decade and the 1880s. So....since y'all are likely axe murderers, I think I'll refrain. :pb_wink: :pb_lol:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
missing letter
  • Haha 14

Okay, I can't quit this addiction. Let's do the last grand Duggars 50 years before they were born (but I have to use 2017 data for them):

Gideon in 1968 becomes Randolph [Unranked] or Randolph Michale. [not sure if that's a creative spelling of Michael or just in a different language.)

Garrett in 1968 becomes Sam Kenneth.

Felicity in 1968 becomes Gayle Stephanie.

I kind of wish they ranked second names because I think the rankings would be really different. I know a lot of people (maybe mostly women?) with simple middle names usually not considered for first names, that I guess were designed to sound good with the first name. E.g. Lynn, Marie, Elizabeth...

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Okay, I can't quit this addiction.

Neither could I, until I checked my name for 50 years before I was born and got...

Katharine Catherine?‍♀️

I think that's the universe telling me I should have quit while I was ahead with my 100-years name.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 18

My 50 year isn't too bad- Lorraine Nora. In an odd way, I kind of like it, even though the Ns blend together.

• Upvote 2

My Victorian name would be Nell Addie and my 2017 name would be Daisy Cora. Both could be Victorian. 

• Upvote 5

• 4 weeks later...

My name 100 years before I was born is Gladys Emilie. Somehow that works-- but I sure don't look like a gladys! LOL. super addicting to look at all the names!

• Upvote 2

Oooh fun. I freaking love names. It was one of my favorite parts of being pregnant.

Okay my name, first and middle, for my birth year were number 495 and 10.

100 years prior: Opal Clara

50 years prior:  Reta Doris 

and 2017: Nayeli Abigail

Yikes.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

My newest addiction is this list of Medieval Names: http://dmnes.org/

So I will rename the Duggars, English and FrenchMedieval Style. There's no ranking at DMNES so it's just going to be names that are the same (English or French medieval spelling - often many options) or have a similar syllable in there somewhere.

Josh --> Josua

John-David --> Iohn  Dauyd

Jana --> Jone

Jill --> Matild

Jessa --> Hescelina

Jinger --> Adalginde

Joseph --> Joseph (unchanged unless you take the odd spelling Jesippe)

Josiah --> Josias

Joy-Anna --> Joia Ane

Jedediah --> Joachim

Jeremiah --> Jeremye

Jason --> Asa

James --> Iamys

Justin --> Justinus

Jackson --> Johnson

Johanna --> Jonata

Jennifer --> Guenhowar

Jordyn-Grace--> Jordane-Grace

Josie --> Judith

Medievalists, don't hate me, these range over several hundred years. But so fun!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1