IGNORED

The Victorian Duggars

singsingsing

@singsingsing I was cackling at some of these names!! Thank you! Some of them are hilarious together, like Martina Nina, others are just funny names like Consuelo or Hyman.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

It’s funny how many of those names are alliterative (Luna Lora) or sound the same/very similar (Lena Verna). Hyman Murtha is the worst, though. Millard Dillard is bad but at least you can call him Mill/Milly. Consuelo doesn’t fit with Maureen, Joseph, Bennie and Charles. 

Out of the whole list I like Junie Alice and Augusta Amelia the best. Funnily enough that’s Jinger and Felicity.

• Upvote 9

Milliard Dillard ? A side note, my grandfathers name was Millard, but we aren't Dillards. Thank God.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

Pleased that the priggish Duggars would name one of their twins Earnest only three years after the Wilde trials!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

This is so cool!  Out of idle curiosity and inspired by @singsingsing, I found what the 2nd-gen Duggar and the M-kid names would be if the Duggars' names all started with a C like Charles and the M-kids' names started with an E like Elizabeth. 

Josh: Charles Harry Duggar

Jana: Christena (sic) Lora Duggar

JD: Clarence Frank Duggar

Jill: Chloe Rose Duggar

Jessa: Cordia Minnie Duggar

Jinger: Columbia Alice Duggar

Joe: Claude Hugh Duggar

Josiah: Clark William Duggar

Joy: Charity Mildred Duggar

Jedidiah: Courtney Raymond Duggar

Jeremiah: Cecil Raymond Duggar

Jason: Clyde William Duggar

James: Clifford Robert Duggar

Justin: Chester Louis Duggar

Jackson: Curtis Jimmie Duggar

Johannah: Clarissa Laura Duggar

Jennifer: Carrie Verna Duggar

Jordyn: Christine Annie Venita Duggar

Josie: Connie Esther Duggar

Mack: Evia Andrea Duggar

Michael: Edward Paul Duggar

Marcus: Elbert Richard Duggar

Meredith: Emilia Catherine Duggar

Mason: Earl Forest Duggar

I think it's perfect that Joy became Charity, and I'm loving Jed and Jer as Courtney and Cecil.  And I really like the name Chloe Rose. 

• Upvote 28
  • Love 2

Oma for Josie is funny to me, as it means “granny/grandma” in German. And Columbia is the perfect name for a patriotic American family. It also sounds similar to Columba which is Latin for dove.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Now I want there to be a reality show like PBS used to do--The 1940s House, Frontier House---where they took modern families and had them live as people did in that era (Victorian Slum House was on recently---really good.)  Victorian Duggars!!

So, they could take the Duggars and have them live like Victorians did!!  The father would earn the money and be in charge of the mother.  Mom wouldn't work outside the home.  The daughters would have to stay "pure" until marriage, which would be approved by the aforementioned father. The kids wouldn't really get much of an education.  There would be a lot of home births.  Conservative dress--no showing any scandalous skin.  Maybe a servant or outsider to handle the laundry.

Oh . . . wait . . .

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 40
  • Love 3

I love some of the names!

Augusta Amelia Vuolo is great for the daugther of a wannabe preacher and his posh wife. And sounds very victorian (very Brittish high class, in fact). If Jeremy reads here, right now he has got the name for the next blessing.

Lennie Rose, Junie Alice, Chloe Rose. I find these names sweet. 

So thank you @singsingsing for keeping me reading about victorian names in Sunday instead of being focused in the Lord. I'm going to clean a couple ceiling fans as a penitence.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3

I am dying over Millard Dillard and poor Hyman. What horrible names! 

Since name nerds seem to be gathering here, I have a question for you. Does it bug the crap out of anyone else when characters of tv shows in present time have names that are popular NOW? Because I hate it so much. It’s like nails on a chalkboard. I hate when a 30 year old character has the name Emma or Brayden. Those names weren’t popular 30 years ago. Sure they were used, but not a lot. I know it’s stupid to be annoyed by this. But I much prefer a show that actually takes the time to name a character something that most people used in the year of their birth. It’s like naming Downton Abbey characters names like Mackenzie or Brynlee. It just grates on my nerves.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 14

I thought Emma was a pretty good bet for a 30 year old. Then I realised that this is probably me coming from an English perspective; Emma has been very popular in England for decades, so a 30 year old Emma is entirely feasible. I gather that Emma’s popularity in the US is more recent. Brayden is definitely far more incongruous for a 30 year old.

When my mum was born in 1968, she was given a name that was very unusual, as she was growing up very few people were called it, but nowadays it is very popular. It’s originally a Shakespearean name (granddad is a BIG Shakespeare fan), but her middle name is pretty classic for her age. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Oh, it's back! This post mysteriously disappeared sometime last night and I was worried it was lost forever. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Since name nerds seem to be gathering here, I have a question for you. Does it bug the crap out of anyone else when characters of tv shows in present time have names that are popular NOW?

Yes! I can understand one here or there. If you want me to believe a 30-year-old is called Emma, no problem. It was in the top 200 names that year, so it's not that big of a stretch, even though Jessica or Megan or Emily would be more likely. Brayden is far less likely, but I can still suspend my disbelief and accept that there are probably a few 30-year-old Braydens running around out there (I actually just checked - there were 82 Braydens born in 1989!).

But when you've got an entire cast of 30-something characters called Mason, Liam, Ava, Isabella... nope. 

The reverse really bugs me as well. Like a show set in a high school in 2019 where everyone's called Ashley, Lauren, Josh and Kyle. The writers obviously still think those are 'teenager names' and are too lazy to care. Or 'old ladies' named Ethel, Myrtle, Mildred, etc. Those were the old ladies of the 1980s. The old ladies of today have names like Shirley, Beverly, Carol...

And yes, not doing the tiniest bit of research into names that would have been appropriate during various historical periods. Your English medieval heroine should not be named Sophia. Your English Tudor heroine should not be named Victoria. Your English Regency heroine should not be named Nevaeh. 

But some names were actually more common than people think. It's known as the "Tiffany Problem" particularly with medieval names and the gist of it is that there are various names like Tiffany, Christina or Denise that are perfectly acceptable medieval names, but writers don't want to use them because they just sound 'wrong'. They don't sound medieval to us.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Horrible histories on Victorian names

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Horrible histories on Victorian names

Hide contents

This video just made my 6 year old laugh pretty hard. 

21 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I thought Emma was a pretty good bet for a 30 year old. Then I realised that this is probably me coming from an English perspective; Emma has been very popular in England for decades, so a 30 year old Emma is entirely feasible. I gather that Emma’s popularity in the US is more recent. Brayden is definitely far more incongruous for a 30 year old.

When my mum was born in 1968, she was given a name that was very unusual, as she was growing up very few people were called it, but nowadays it is very popular. It’s originally a Shakespearean name (granddad is a BIG Shakespeare fan), but her middle name is pretty classic for her age. 

Emma has been popular in the US since 2002 when Ross & Rachel named their baby Emma on Friends.   Lots of girls 14-15-16 years old named Emma here. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Anybody else loving Columbia as a Duggar name? Get her a maid outfit and a feather duster...

As for names being inappropriate for the era on TV and stuff, yeah that can be a little annoying. I mean sure, any name could be used at any time for the most part, but it just reads more true if it's something era-appropriate. If it's set in the 80s there needs to be Heather, Jennifer and Amy somewhere in there.

That said, I've really not been terribly careful about that for names for the story I'm working on. The names are all over the place, though there are themes and some attempt to make sense with them. It's a fantasy setting though so I'm using that as my excuse. Truth is some of the dolls came before the characters, and the names that stuck just... stuck.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

That said, I've really not been terribly careful about that for names for the story I'm working on. The names are all over the place, though there are themes and some attempt to make sense with them. It's a fantasy setting though so I'm using that as my excuse. Truth is some of the dolls came before the characters, and the names that stuck just... stuck.

If it's internally consistent within your own world, that's all that really matters. And sometimes in writing it's better for the names to not be totally realistic. The Tiffany Problem, for example. Could there be a group of sisters in 13th century England named Tiffany, Denise, Alyson, Christina and their brother Jordan? Absolutely, but the reader isn't going to buy it. And when I'm writing historical fiction I usually make sure each character has a different name, when in reality several of them would probably have the same names. That's too confusing for the reader, though.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If it's internally consistent within your own world, that's all that really matters. And sometimes in writing it's better for the names to not be totally realistic. The Tiffany Problem, for example. Could there be a group of sisters in 13th century England named Tiffany, Denise, Alyson, Christina and their brother Jordan? Absolutely, but the reader isn't going to buy it. And when I'm writing historical fiction I usually make sure each character has a different name, when in reality several of them would probably have the same names. That's too confusing for the reader, though.

Yeah I can see how those things would be confusing. My elves all have one name each, the pirates are all Samuel, Jack, Ruth, etc., most of the airship crew has a corvid theme going on, etc. But then one guy ended up with a name from Farscape, LOL! I think it works within the story, for the most part. 

Still trying to find a name for one character. Her sister's name is Marnie Rose Thorne, a rare female surgeon in a sort of fantasy-steampunk-edwardian era. Marnie is very respectable, her sister... not so much. I will probably use Emily as a middle name for her, but that's all I'm sure about just yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

This thread isn't what I expected it would be.  I thought it would be a what if scenario if the Duggars were born during Victorian times. Josie wouldn't have made it as Victorian medicine wouldn't have been able to keep her alive.  Probably a fair number of those kids would have died of some sort of childhood illness too. Mind you, there's a good chance Michelle would have died in childbirth at some point, although JB would probably have married again for someone to look after his poor motherless children.  Oh, and they'd all still be wearing the frumpers because long dresses and high necks would actually be in fashion.  

• Upvote 23

Just now, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

This thread isn't what I expected it would be.  I thought it would be a what if scenario if the Duggars were born during Victorian times. Josie wouldn't have made it as Victorian medicine wouldn't have been able to keep her alive.  Probably a fair number of those kids would have died of some sort of childhood illness too. Mind you, there's a good chance Michelle would have died in childbirth at some point, although JB would probably have married again for someone to look after his poor motherless children.  Oh, and they'd all still be wearing the frumpers because long dresses and high necks would actually be in fashion.  

Wouldn't she have died with the first twins?  I think she had preeclampsia 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

49 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Emma has been popular in the US since 2002 when Ross & Rachel named their baby Emma on Friends.   Lots of girls 14-15-16 years old named Emma here. 

That’s definitely when it went up in popularity. Emily was very popular at that time too. When a name gets very popular, names similar to it become popular too. Aiden was first popular, then the names that rhyme with Aiden became popular after the rise in Aiden. Names like Brayden, Jaden, Caiden, Hayden all became more popular. Emma was probably slightly on the rise due to the popularity of Emily, but then it likely exploded in popularity after Rachel named the baby Emma.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7