IGNORED

Josh, Anna, the M' kids Part 19: Josh's Thwarted Ambitions

samurai_sarah

8 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

It's a solid Biblical name; just note that Miriam means "bitter". I would :laughing-rolling: if Anna named her that knowingly and managed to slip that one past the goalie. Five years later, Smuggar: "Heyyyy, wait a second..."

Mariam is ultimately from Mary and most likely derived from the Egyptian word “Mr” meaning Love. Bitter and  Rebellious are other possible meanings.  

But the fact that Miriam picked up Her tambourine and led the women dancing in Exodus May put them off it unfortunately. According to Jewish Holy scripture she was. Prophetess who taught the women the Torah as well. If The Duggars were actually educated enough to know that they would not be inclined to take the name I guess. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

In the days of "Holy Catholic Ireland", if you wanted your children baptised (and you did!), you must give them the name of a saint. Hence, only two of my aunts go by the name they were given at the altar. 

We have a Mary Jane - Jean.  Mary Catherine - Kitty.  Mary Majella - Moira.  Anne Marie - Nancy.  Bridget - Della. 

Family trees are confusing, because this wasn't an unusual practice, and your great great auntie, Ellen, may well have been baptised and named on her birth Cert as Mary Anne.

• Upvote 17

My partner's family asked me to do some genealogical research for them and I'm regretting it because of this! They had a period of time where pretty much every son was named Giovanni, then with a different middle name that many went by (but some didn't). And they kept that going over expanding generations and eventually the ones who immigrated changed it to John. So there are distant cousins all over the place with the same names over and over, it's super hard to figure out who belongs where on the tree!

• Upvote 9

@ShadowCat That is very interesting , thank you for sharing! 

Genealogy is fascinating to me, and I love all the stories people share about their families.

I know a little about my paternal family, although my paternal great-grandfather's origins are shrouded in myth. He was either Gypsy or Galician Jewish, according to family lore. The only known thing is that he suddenly appeared in the village and had no family. 

Unfortunately there is very little known on my mother's side further back than my great-grandparents. They lived in the Ottoman Empire in Thessaloniki, Istanbul and somewhere along the Black Sea. All documentation was in the Ottoman language (and writing) which does not exist anymore, and much was lost due to various wars, fleeing and emigration. I wish I could trace my family back as far as many here on FJ can. 

Edited by SweetJuly
  • Upvote 11

@SweetJuly I think the only sure way to trace family in your situation is a DNA kit. I did one with 23 and me and while it was interesting to have my aversion to coriander confirmed, and know that I share a maternal haplogroup with Cheddar Man, I didn't get a whole lot of family info, apart from a few distant cousins. 

I'm going to do the Ancestry one soon as that one seems to be the most popular for tracing family and will help me sift through all generations of Marys, Michaels, Patricks and Bridgets ?

• Upvote 6

All this talk of families with the same name over generations remind me of this funny scene from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."  Everyone was named Anita, Diane and Nick, Nikki, or Nico...LOL!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

I wish I could trace my family back as far as many here on FJ can. 

Well it is a bit easier when the longest your ancestors travelled was to the next village ... at least it doesn’t look like too many of them married their cousins. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ShadowCat said:

In the days of "Holy Catholic Ireland", if you wanted your children baptised (and you did!), you must give them the name of a saint.

My Italian-American Catholic mother had to do that too. The name my grandparents wanted to give her wasn't a saint name, so they had to slap Marie on the end of it. And as a little kid, I always thought you /had/ to have a saint somewhere in your name, or else you'd get in trouble. I used to pride myself on the fact that I technically had three saints names between my first and middle names.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, ShadowCat said:

In the days of "Holy Catholic Ireland", if you wanted your children baptised (and you did!), you must give them the name of a saint. Hence, only two of my aunts go by the name they were given at the altar. 

We have a Mary Jane - Jean.  Mary Catherine - Kitty.  Mary Majella - Moira.  Anne Marie - Nancy.  Bridget - Della. 

Family trees are confusing, because this wasn't an unusual practice, and your great great auntie, Ellen, may well have been baptised and named on her birth Cert as Mary Anne.

Question (I'm not Catholic and know very little about it, but names fascinate me) : was everyone in the Bible considered a saint? Could one give a daughter a super-biblical name like Sarah or Abigail or Esther or something, and baptize her?

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, meee said:

Question (I'm not Catholic and know very little about it, but names fascinate me) : was everyone in the Bible considered a saint? Could one give a daughter a super-biblical name like Sarah or Abigail or Esther or something, and baptize her?

Gosh, I'm Catholic and don't remember if everyone in the Bible is a saint. I don't think so, but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Anna Bolinas said:

My Italian-American Catholic mother had to do that too. The name my grandparents wanted to give her wasn't a saint name, so they had to slap Marie on the end of it. And as a little kid, I always thought you /had/ to have a saint somewhere in your name, or else you'd get in trouble. I used to pride myself on the fact that I technically had three saints names between my first and middle names.

I remember naming my son. His first name is far from a saint name, but his middle name is after my favorite Apostle (as well as animated tank engine) Thomas. 

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, meee said:

No, not everyone in the bible was or is considered a saint in catholicism. In fact biblical names of the old testament like Sarah, Abigail or Esther have been used mainly by protestants. It seems they are still more common in protestant families than in catholic ones today.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

45 minutes ago, meee said:

This is an interesting question and I think there is a fair amount of confusion...there are a lot of Old Testament characters who aren't officially saints in the Catholic Church but are often revered or referred to as saints.

So, Sarah, for example, isn't in the most recent list of saints. But there are some Catholics who do sort of consider her a saint, and will pray to her for fertility issues. On the other hand, I think all, or practically all, of the prophets are saints. I don't think any Old Testament women are real saints in the Catholic Church (quelle surprise).

That said, you can pick basically any older name out of a hat and find a saint associated with it. But the traditions of naming children after saints in most of Europe stuck more to the better-known saints, so I'm not sure a Sarah would qualify there.

As a sidebar, various orthodox traditions do recognize most Old Testament characters as saints so you can find stuff about them being saints out there - it's just usually not in the Catholic Church.

Disclaimer: I'm not Catholic (or any religious affiliation) but history and names are interests of mine!

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

22 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Well it is a bit easier when the longest your ancestors travelled was to the next village ... at least it doesn’t look like too many of them married their cousins. :pb_rollseyes:

Yeah, that doesn't work in one branch of my husband's family... Lived in a small mountainous village. There are a few cases of someone marrying someone with their same last name in his family tree...

• Upvote 2

My parents were set on the saint name thing, so one of my brothers has a nickname that is usually a given name so he could have the saint (first and middle need to be saints). I honestly thought if people didn't have saint names it would be much harder for them to get to heaven without patron saints 

• Upvote 3

This came up on my FB feed (Australia) and I (sadly) immediately thought of Anna. Her pregnancy hormones always seem to throw her into an anti abortion social media tirade, that recent anti abortion movie didn’t help. So pro life, keep breeding don’t take in any foster babies. The Duggar parents don’t count either imo. Tyler was circumstance. Had he of not come into their life via family there would be no foster kid in their life. Fuck you duggars. Must be hormonal today. Unreasonably ragey. Stuck at home doing housework doesn’t help. But I stand by my FUCK YOU duggars lol. 

3D96309E-47F1-41D5-98D0-380C803137CF.jpeg

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

GAH! The pregnant-chorus-line photos are always creepy, but Anna’s weird obsession with her SILs being pregnant pushes it over the edge!

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

16 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

GAH! The pregnant-chorus-line photos are always creepy, but Anna’s weird obsession with her SILs being pregnant pushes it over the edge!

Pregnancy seems to be less about a couple growing their family and more like some kind of animal husbandry project for some of these people.

Anna seems to have Michelle’s mindset.

27 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Anna is teasing more announcements.

IMG_4201.PNG

If Jill isn’t pregnant and wants to be this post is going to sting.

(I have no idea on either front - jist saying it would hurt if that’s the case)

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Product and project are two diff words and autocorrect hates me
  • Upvote 27

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Pregnancy seems to be less about a couple growing their family and more like some kind of animal husbandry project for some of these people.

Yup, like a people puppy farm.

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Yup, like a people puppy farm.

That’s the most apt description I’ve ever heard.

makes me sad for the little human pups.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 15
  • Thank You 1

I’m not sure where the idea that each kid born makes each individual child MORE special originated from in Fundieville. We literally treat our dog better than how we’ve seen these folks treat their children. She definitely gets more 1:1 attention, a more balanced diet, daily exercise, and likely more affection. I can guarantee you that hunger has never forced her to hide in the bathroom and scarf down food ,and she has never had to schedule a time to get her head scratched or to receive a pet.

The only kid that’s important in these homes is the NEXT kid.

It’s gross, unhealthy and all around wrong. Even in Duggarville the day is only 24 hours long. Do the Math. It’s pretty basic that even the SOTDRT would have covered it.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

BEC, But I hate when they share pictures with that bathroom visible in the background. I don't like getting toilet bombed.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Anna has definitely bought into the “quantity over quality” mindset. It’s especially sad to see from her because surely she remembers the excitement when they had the first grandchild. It’s pretty noticeable the difference between attention (from fans, family, the media, even these boards) given to Jill as the first gestating Duggar Daughter when she was pregnant with Israel vs Joy when she was pregnant with Gideon. Now it’s like, another day, another Duggar. Who cares? So unless someone has twins the only way to make it interesting is to be like “there are 6 of us pregnant at once!” or “grandchild number 20!” Or in Anna’s case “what M name will it be?”

• Upvote 18

okay she is bat shit crazy over pregnancies and babies. I used to think jill was bad but she is on a whole different level.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic