IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

t sounds like "tool" was used the way we use the word "dick" currently, as both slang for a penis and as an insult for a man who acts like one. 

From the article you linked:

One of the oldest slang uses has been use of the term to mean various bodily organs, particularly what the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) calls, with awesome tact, “the male generative organ.”

:laughing-jumpingpurple:  In the UK "tool" is a euphemism for "prick" as that is more commonly used than "dick" as an insult.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

I'm drawing a blank, @AnnaSofia. How do these ladies fit into the VF family tree?  Is this a VF + 1940s nostalgia Venn diagram? 

• Upvote 5

Howl - that's Noelle Wheeler Goforth - as in Little Bear's daughter.  She compiled the "Daughters of Destiny" book that VF published.

Edited by danvillebelle
corrected
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

@Howl - DPIART was  co-officiant at Noelle Wheeler Goforth's wedding back in the day. Alas, the wedding video has since been purged from YouTube. The "ceremony" involved lots of verbiage & swords, IIRC, among other things. There may also have been wide stances. DPIART made a big deal out of Noelle's first child, who was born prematurely with serious disabilities. Lots of mentions & blegs on Doug's Blog at the time.

Other Wheeler-DPIART/BCA connections: Noelle's younger sister, Aimee, was the one who kicked Natasha Epstein (daughter of Jen Fishburne) out of her wedding party after the Epsteins were turfed out of BCA. Natasha was to be a bridesmaid. After divorcing that husband, Aimee has ended up as a plural wife & the household appears to be into faux Judaism now, or something involving head coverings & Shabbat Shalom. Not sure they were ever LDS or FLDS.

LIttle Bear & DPIART parted ways, possibly over the Epstein mess, IIRC, because Little Bear offered to mediate between the Epsteins & BCA. Others here may remember more accurately.

Considering where Noelle & Aimee are today, it seems as if Little Bear's thinking has evolved -- at least on a personal & tacit level. Too much to expect he'd publicly disavow all of the VF-related crap.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 6

What @danvillebelle and @hoipolloi said on Noelle; also, the blonde on the right is Jim Leininger's older daughter, Kelly (of "Alone Yet Not Alone" fame). I thought Noelle's comment about being a Texan thanks to Kelly's family was interesting. I obviously knew the Little Bear/Leininger connection, but I didn't realize the Wheeler family apparently moved to Texas because of it? I guess I'd just assumed they were already local.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Thank you all so much for these clarifications.  I never tracked Little Bear & fam too much and another Leininger connection is always of interest. 

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

After divorcing that husband, Aimee has ended up as a plural wife & the household appears to be into faux Judaism now, or something involving head coverings & Shabbat Shalom. Not sure they were ever LDS or FLDS.

Speechless, almost. These people that periodically visit the religious practices buffet and adopt a new set of beliefs that always involve costuming and extreme lifestyle changes...but considering that Little Bear was definitely into some cosplay, maybe the costume aspect makes sense. 

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

it seems as if Little Bear's thinking has evolved -- at least on a personal & tacit level. Too much to expect he'd publicly disavow all of the VF-related crap.

As y'all know, this "nothing to see here, move along" crap where people adamantly teach their version of the "truth" to credulous followers, leave carnage in their wake as beliefs are abandoned, then proceed like nothing has happened drive my crazy.   

Scottie Brown has pretty much hewed to the same beliefs all along, but pretended nothing happened when the SAHD no-touch courtship, VF royalty spawn wedding-of-the-century,  "god breathed" marriage between an up-and-coming patriarch and his meek servile and very fecund helpmeet imploded in a nuclear meltdown that left his daughter a (gasp!) divorcée with six young kids who then remarried!  Although "god hates divorce" I guess it was OK because adultery.  

Y'all, I'm sorry, but "god breathed marriage" à la Lisa and The Spanks is so good I had to recycle! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

LIttle Bear & DPIART parted ways, possibly over the Epstein mess, IIRC, because Little Bear offered to mediate between the Epsteins & BCA. Others here may remember more accurately.

They did apparently distance themselves around then.  Whether it was entirely due to the Epsteins we don't know, but Jen certainly gave herself all the credit.

Doug Phillips Shuns “Little Bear” Wheeler

April 8, 2007 — Jen

What is the difference between this year’s Vision Forum catalog and those of the last several years? Little Bear Wheeler is AWOL. He’s not there. He’s simply disappeared from Doug’s catalog, and from Doug’s life entirely.

Hasn’t Little Bear Wheeler and his Mantle Ministries always been a major part of Doug Phillips’ Vision Forum catalog? Wasn’t his whole history section always centered around his very good friend, Little Bear? Didn’t they used to put on Father/Son retreats together? Weren’t they close personal friends?

Little Bear Wheeler and Doug Phillips only live a few miles apart. Why is Doug now refusing to have anything to do with Little Bear? What’s the big rift over? It’s over me. Us. The Epsteins.

https://jensgems.wordpress.com/2007/04/08/doug-phillips-shuns-little-bear-wheeler/

Jen was correct that Little Bear disappeared from the VF catalog and Doug stopped praising him to the skies around then.  And yet, Natasha was shunned by Little Bear's daughter and dropped from her wedding party when Jen was excommunicated.

I've always felt we neglected Little Bear here.  We've rarely mentioned him, which is surprising because his videos are less "enthralling" than they snarkable.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mantleministries

He's retired now.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/dronebear/about/?ref=page_internal

And if you have Kindle Unlimited you can read his autobiography free!

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

Glarg. He lives in the Texas Hill Country.   Maybe he is still in the Boerne area.   He's still into Providential Bull Shit Revisionist History

Also, Natasha's life has turned out to be truly sad.  Hope she can get headed in the right direction at some point. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

What @danvillebelle and @hoipolloi said on Noelle; also, the blonde on the right is Jim Leininger's older daughter, Kelly (of "Alone Yet Not Alone" fame).

IIRC, Kelly is also divorced. I guess IOKIYAF (It's OK If You're A Fundie).

3 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

I thought Noelle's comment about being a Texan thanks to Kelly's family was interesting. I obviously knew the Little Bear/Leininger connection, but I didn't realize the Wheeler family apparently moved to Texas because of it? I guess I'd just assumed they were already local.

Not sure if this bit from Little Bear's bio refers to the move to TX, but he was there by 2003, if not earlier, after starting out in the Jesus business in CA & the Pacific NW in the 1970s.

The year 2003 marked the beginning of a new assignment on yet another “path” of service directed by the Lord, when four founding pastors shared the same vision for a pioneer work of a family-integrated church in the Texas Hill Country. Ever since that first Sunday meeting in January of 2003, Richard “Little Bear” Wheeler has counted it an indescribable privilege in ministry to co-labor with the pastoral staff of Living Water Fellowship, serving its people, and being called Pastor “Little Bear.”

Here's some of the history of Living Water Fellowship, a variant of the Church of Daddy Said So:

The Lord was preparing Living Water Fellowship in the following unique way. He worked upon the hearts of four men through prayer and commitment – Michael Bakke, Al Mendenhall, Doug Swanson, and myself, Richard Wheeler, along with our families – to bring us all to the wellspring of His Living Water, thirsting for His direction and purpose for our families in worship and fellowship in Christ.

Our common, or rather, uncommon vision for the church is to reflect God’s purpose for the family – encouraging fathers to be protectors, providers, and spiritual leaders of their families (Eph. 5:25); appreciating mothers in their highest call as keepers of the home (Titus 2:5); and supporting parents in their paramount responsibility of nurturing their children in the ways of the Lord (Eph. 6:4); while being ever-mindful of the needs of single individuals to be encouraged in their walk of faith in Christ, as well (Heb. 10:24-25). 

• Thank You 5

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Yup, Kelly's acting career (such as it is) didn't begin until the year her divorce was final, IIRC. I really don't know much about her marriage to Richard Welch (other than it being daddy-brokered), but I suspect her aspirations were an issue.

Speaking of, I just ran across her former sister-in-law, Alyssa (she changed her IG handle again).

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

WOW, go Alyssa!  The comments on that post are also beautiful.  Although that one woman who claims that God intervened with a miracle and didn't allow her arranged marriage to take place and now her life is wonderful because wonderful Jesus gave her a good man and Jesus is also there ever step of the way -- seemed to be missing a major point and it kind of annoyed me! 

Anyway, to quote Alyssa's Insta post: 

Actually, a month before my wedding date (not set by me) in agonizing tears I was begging and my heart's cry fell to deaf ears!

Fuck. Patriarchy!  Fuck. Arranged marriages!  How many more women have been in this situation of begging to not marry someone they don't love and aren't attracted to, but forced to by both sets of parents and then the babies start arriving...

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And if you have Kindle Unlimited you can read his autobiography free!

Adventures of a Retarded Gopher Skinner-- I ask you, who could resist? 

In all seriousness, though, I think the reason that Little Bear never got the kind of attention here that his former friend Doug Phillips did is because, even though his beliefs are as nutty as Doug's are, his personality is a lot more mellow. He looks pretty much like a normal actor walking around in a Colonial or Western movie, not prancing and preening in ruffles and frills the way Doug did. His voice sounds normal, too-- like a regular schoolteacher's would. He isn't pleading for more cellos and breaking down in tears at the thought of two virgins having their first kiss.

Doug was just so much more flamboyant, and Little Bear was overshadowed. Perhaps if they'd not been so closely aligned, Little Bear would have had his own following here. As it was, he kind of got tossed into the "Other VF People" basket. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Doug was just so much more flamboyant, and Little Bear was overshadowed. Perhaps if they'd not been so closely aligned, Little Bear would have had his own following here. As it was, he kind of got tossed into the "Other VF People" basket.

Agreed.  But I have had many a private chuckle over Little Bear's more extravagant revisionist bullshit.  And I'd put money on him being disgruntled because he got tossed by FJ into the other (minor) VF people basket.  

Little Bear (and now Drone Bear) are Seriously Relevant in Richard Wheeler's mind.  :D

• Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Doug was just so much more flamboyant

Heh.  "flamboyant"   *giggles* 

I can see Doug practicing flaring his nostrils in the mirror and wondering if he can dance flamenco, because it sets his soul on fire. 

Edited by Howl
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Not sure if this bit from Little Bear's bio refers to the move to TX, but he was there by 2003, if not earlier, after starting out in the Jesus business in CA & the Pacific NW in the 1970s.

Here's some of the history of Living Water Fellowship, a variant of the Church of Daddy Said So:

Maranatha Chapman’s daughter (child bride 2.0) Lauren has a daughter named Living Water (“Livy”). 6 degrees of fundie.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:18 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I see Beall saying things that are completely untrue I have to wonder to myself if she believes her own lies. Is this her way of protecting herself? Is she telling herself lies in order to get through the day? Is she telling herself lies in order to stay with Doug? I feel like she must believe her own lies to an extent. Of course we can only fool ourselves for so long. 

This world creates its own truth. Before and after. It was one way before and now it’s not that but another way. They create their own “truth.” 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Nolongeroppressed8.4 said:

This world creates its own truth. Before and after. It was one way before and now it’s not that but another way. They create their own “truth.” 

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

On 5/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, hoipolloi said:

That bio leaves out Little Bear's Catholic childhood in CA (he was tortured by Satanic nuns), dysfunctional birth family (Dad committed suicide and his "immature" mother married again and divorced), and his flirtations with the Moonies, Buddhism, Astrology, and Armstrongism, among other religions.  Once he found God, lots of RV ministry in the PNW before he settled in TX.

He has lived by God's provision since the 1970s.  Well, kind of.  He never asks for money but prays for donations, very like Shrader.  He managed to ingratiate himself with a Hollywood song-writer (can't remember the name) who died and left LB the royalties to some quite famous songs.  Also he and Marilyn inherited $$$ from her father.  FIL was a "frugal" Scot and never gave Little Bear anything more than gas money before he died.  The gas money was probably to get to get him out of FIL's home and back to the shack they owned in the PNW every year.

I think he moved down to TX in the 1990s.  Thanks to none other than Jim Leininger.  Little Bear wasn't able to video his Mantle Ministry crapola until Leininger bought a TV station and helped him out.  Otherwise, he publishes obscure and out of print books and did radio shit.  You can blame Little Bear for republishing Elsie Dinsmore.

Seriously, Leininger has funded more fucked up Fundies than I can believe.  I'm sure he'll get his reward in the afterlife.  I expect he'll be horrified to find himself on the down escalator. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Seriously, Leininger has funded more fucked up Fundies than I can believe.  I'm sure he'll get his reward in the afterlife.  I expect he'll be horrified to find himself on the down escalator. 

In the meantime, there is something very fitting about grifters like DPIART and "Little Bear" scamming wealthy Jim Leininger out of his millions. They all deserve each other. 

Re: down escalator. If Leininger does get into heaven, he -- like many fundie assholes -- will be very, very surprised at who else is there with him. 

4 hours ago, bea said:

So if they’re all together celebrating Doug’s birthday, where’s Doug?

My thoughts exactly. Interesting that Beall didn't include an actual photo of him WITH them on the river or wherever. Could it be that Doug was actually not there at al?

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, bea said:

So if they’re all together celebrating Doug’s birthday, where’s Doug?

Both Liberty and Faith managed to make it to Normandy for the 75th Anniversary of D-Day. I'll be amazed Doug if doesn't worm his way over, somehow.

• Upvote 4

It’s just..... weird. Here’s a picture of Jtits and baby whatshisface (who is pretty damn adorable) FaceTiming Grandpa DPIAT.
1c976415a86905b9d3a749a51be41a1d.jpg

But no pictures of DPIAT.
Is that weird? It seems weird.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

5 hours ago, bea said:

Is that weird? It seems weird.

It is weird but then we're dealing with Doug and Beall Phillips, for whom appearances are everything.

I call bullshit on this charade of celebrating Daddy-O Doug's birthday en famille.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

There's actually no way to know for sure whose face was on that screen. Or wasn't. What a conveniently placed "Texas" pennant.

Edited by VVV
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic