IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

Voddie Baucham Ministries has an address in Spring, Texas and one in Zambia.  The whole family, with the exception of Jasmine, has moved to Zambia but does preaching tours several times a year in the US and UK.  Presumably, Voddie is still making ears bleed wherever he goes. 

Good for Jasmine for finding her own way; I'd be fascinated to hear more of her and her husband's story about co-evolving (presumably) away from patriarchy. 

My impression of Voddie was typical patriarchy: husband rules home,  instant obedience for wife and children, let God choose the number of kids.  Also, physical discipline for kids.  On the obnoxious scale, I'd put him up there with John Piper and his ilk.  

Voddie Baucham Ministries

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, Howl said:

Voddie Baucham Ministries has an address in Spring, Texas and one in Zambia.  The whole family, with the exception of Jasmine, has moved to Zambia but does preaching tours several times a year in the US and UK.  Presumably, Voddie is still making ears bleed wherever he goes. 

Good for Jasmine for finding her own way; I'd be fascinated to hear more of her and her husband's story about co-evolving (presumably) away from patriarchy. 

My impression of Voddie was typical patriarchy: husband rules home,  instant obedience for wife and children, let God choose the number of kids.  Also, physical discipline for kids.  On the obnoxious scale, I'd put him up there with John Piper and his ilk.  

Voddie Baucham Ministries

Don’t forget that charming line of his about how men who cheat on their wives with younger women are really looking for attention from substitute daughters. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 6
  • WTF 1

24 minutes ago, Howl said:

The whole family, with the exception of Jasmine, has moved to Zambia but does preaching tours several times a year in the US and UK.  Presumably, Voddie is still making ears bleed wherever he goes. 

Think there's an older, adult son (a bit younger than Jasmine) who remained in the US. 

Not only is Voddie making ears bleed but he's undoubtedly getting paid to do so. The "mission" trips are essential fundraisers -- primarily for him, and secondarily for the African Christian "University."

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

15 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

The "mission" trips are essential fundraisers -- primarily for him, and secondarily for the African Christian "University."

Voddie is listed as "Dean of Theology" on their website.  Red flag: none of their faculty have linked CVs.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

Voddie is listed as "Dean of Theology" on their website.  Red flag: none of their faculty have linked CVs.  

The whole thing absolutely shrieks SCAM. ACU makes Phoenix University look like Harvard.

Re: Jasmine. Looks like someone is reading here. Her personal IG is now private and she's created a public account for us heathens and her fangirls!

Hi, Jasmine! :greetings-wavegreen::greetings-waveyellow::greetings-wavingblue:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

18 hours ago, Howl said:

Didn't Jasmine marry Voddy's understudy, meaning it's likely her husband is straying from the true word as well? 

Phillip Holmes was not Voddie’s understudy. They are different denominations and the doctrinal differences were actually a point of contention when he began to pursue her for a courtship. 

Jasmine continues to work even after having two kids, and has vocally said that she plans on sending her kids to the school where she teaches. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

Don’t forget that charming line of his about how men who cheat on their wives with younger women are really looking for attention from substitute daughters. 

Not to mention calling children “vipers in diapers.”

• Upvote 5
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2

19 hours ago, sableduck said:

https://jasminelholmes.com/regrets-of-staying-home/

This is an interesting blog post she wrote. The old Doug would have been scandalized and made sure the whole Bachman family was shunned.  Now I suppose he’s finding the burlesque dancers  far more interesting.

Thanks for posting this.  I've wondered what became of Jasmine.  It takes a big person to admit she might not have had all the answers at the tender age of 20.

I was surprised she described herself as shy, afraid to speak up, etc.  She always seemed sure of herself in her writings.

I wonder if she still considers the Botkins dear friends?  I don't think they've changed as much as she has, have they?

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The whole thing absolutely shrieks SCAM. ACU makes Phoenix University look like Harvard.

Re: Jasmine. Looks like someone is reading here. Her personal IG is now private and she's created a public account for us heathens and her fangirls!

Now, now.  Be fair.  It is actually a "real" university in Lusaka and approved by the government.  So ACU is accredited and almost respectable, if you will.  Certainly better than Shrader's "Bible Institute" with its letterhead and nothing else.  

It's a pretty lucrative boondoggle for Voddie though.  They do have plenty of nationals on the BoD and faculty.   And Voddie does have a "real" degree.

I wonder whether the scholars have finished building the campus yet.  It was supposed to give them a good Biblical foundation.  The first building they built -- the roof fell in.  Luckily no-one was hurt because it happened at night.  And then someone broke into the "library" (one of those giant shipping containers) and stole liberated all their computers.

I suppose we will only find out if it is a scam when the first batch of students graduate and try to get jobs.  It's buyer beware for sure, but possibly the only people getting scammed are the donors.  I don't care much about them.  I'm only worried about the students.

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I wonder if she still considers the Botkins dear friends?  I don't think they've changed as much as she has, have they?

I don’t think so either, but if they did we’d never hear about it because Daddy has his thumb tight on those two. 

I do want to know what they think of her change. She’s doing everything wrong (college, working, day care, school for her kids) but she has her own life and family and is fairly well known on Reformed internet circles. They have gun holsters, a badly neglected blog with that ridiculous series on sexual abuse, and have completely lost their status as VF princesses. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

It’s been private, but she accepts follow requests usually.

Jasmine has posted here before.  She’s well aware of free jinger. I respect that she’s embarrassed and not yet willing to share all the details of her journey, but I am glad she shares what she is willing.  She’s touched on the guilt and difficulty of leaving patriarchy behind and as someone who also grew up in that world, I appreciate her candor and understand.

• Upvote 13

11 minutes ago, Columbia said:

They have gun holsters, a badly neglected blog with that ridiculous series on sexual abuse, and have completely lost their status as VF princesses. 

I sometimes wonder whether that isn't a huge relief for them.  It must have been an enormous strain to have to be perfect and poised princesses all the time.  Even from rural TN, they could put more effort into their writing and continued the speaking circuit. They didn't.  But perhaps they can't travel without Daddy's protection.  We have now heard from several sources that Geoff Botkin is having some health problems. 

Also Audri Botkin is showing a few signs of critical thinking.   Perhaps it has rubbed off on the Botkinettes and they no longer feel quite so secure in their own righteousness.  

Or perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, G33kywife said:

Phillip Holmes was not Voddie’s understudy. They are different denominations and the doctrinal differences were actually a point of contention when he began to pursue her for a courtship. 

Thanks for that clarification.  What denomination was/is Phillip associated with? 

I'm so glad she has found a path leading away from her father's toxic teachings! 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, sableduck said:

It’s been private, but she accepts follow requests usually.

It was actually public yesterday, when I checked. 

As much as I'd like to do so, I do not follow any of these folks on IG or elsewhere for fear of inadvertently sharing private information. Some of them -- not Jasmine -- constantly seem to whiz in & out of a private status so much that it's hard to remember.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Certainly better than Shrader's "Bible Institute" with its letterhead and nothing else.  

What a standard!

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

They didn't.  But perhaps they can't travel without Daddy's protection. 

Or they realized they having nothing new to say.  Their existence is circumscribed by rigidly controlled family life supporting father and brothers in a rural area where a select few come to Geoff's chuch (Christ the King "Church"), so they don't even attend a regular church.  Stifling.  You'll note that to find out where to come to "church" you have to call a phone number. 

Anybody know the nature of Geoff's health issues? Would he go to a doctor?  Doubt he's signed up for Medicare, although I'm not sure if he's 65.  Maybe they are members of Scamaritan. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Thanks for posting this.  I've wondered what became of Jasmine.  It takes a big person to admit she might not have had all the answers at the tender age of 20.

I was surprised she described herself as shy, afraid to speak up, etc.  She always seemed sure of herself in her writings.

Jasmine always struck me as someone who'd be awesome to have a couple of drinks with and just chat. I've always been interested in her writing, even when she was in the stay-at-home daughter movement, and that dreadful Return of the Daughters. Unlike the Botkins, I think that Jasmine is a genuinely intellectually curious and well-read woman, and I'm happy that she's following her heart. Her blog is thoughtful and interesting, and I'm sure she's the same in person.

So Jasmine, if you're ever over my way, let me know, and we can go get lunch! I'll even buy you a margarita!

• Upvote 10

35 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

What a standard!

You know you have been Following Fundies Invading Foreign Parts For Far Too Long when you breathe a sigh of relief when you see that one of them is actually obeying the laws of its host country.  As in getting permission to call their planned indoctrination camp an Educational Institution and a Place of Legitimate Learning.  Not sure how long ACU will retain this position, but they did try.  And they do have nationals involved.  That amounts to an f'ing miracle.

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

Anybody know the nature of Geoff's health issues?

Nope.  Several insiders have hinted at them but I have never pushed the issue.  It is not my business and I have respected and admired their discretion. 

I suppose you could ask @Nolongeroppressed8.4, as they are a verified insider.  I'm not going to do it though.

Sorry, that sounded very rude but I don't know how to phrase it better.  But, IMO, health issues should always remain private until the individual chooses to disclose them.  Including Geoff Botkin's possible issues.

• Upvote 6

I could sense pain when Jasmine talked about the ambitions she had, and Daddy made her give them up.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Just now, smittykins said:

I could sense pain when she talked about the ambitions she had, and Daddy made her give them up.

I did too. I always sensed kind of a "kindred spirit" in Jasmine, a person who loves learning for the sake of learning, and hungry for the intellectual life and the ambitions that go with that kind of hunger. I was never so happy as when I found out she punted some of that wretched indoctrination she was subject to for so long to make some of those ambitions a reality.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

You know you have been Following Fundies Invading Foreign Parts For Far Too Long when you breathe a sigh of relief when you see that one of them is actually obeying the laws of its host country.

Too true.

I'd forgotten the call to prayer over ACU's meetings with the Zambian ministry of education or whoever in the quest to get authorization to open a diploma mill an institution of higher learning.

• Upvote 3

On 6/9/2019 at 9:54 AM, DomWackTroll said:

And they say romance is dead. "Hey, Glasses, make me another sandwich, will ya?" 

Ya just KNOW he's actually said that at some point ...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Sorry, that sounded very rude but I don't know how to phrase it better.  But, IMO, health issues should always remain private until the individual chooses to disclose them.  Including Geoff Botkin's possible issues.

Reasonable position. 

Geoff hasn't put up a blog post for several years. 

• Upvote 1

Jesus Mary and Holy St. Joseph, that beard is a crime.  Not a good look, Voddie.

I LOL'ed when I saw that he's speaking at Lindale FBC.  I used to live in the country outside Lindale; it's not exactly a bustling metropolis.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Jesus Mary and Holy St. Joseph, that beard is a crime.  Not a good look, Voddie.

I LOL'ed when I saw that he's speaking at Lindale FBC.  I used to live in the country outside Lindale; it's not exactly a bustling metropolis.

The 19th century facial hair look does not suit him at all. He looks like he should be a Civil War reenactor, though given the company he chooses to keep, I suppose he’d be portraying one of those apocryphal slaves that was pro-Confederate.

My mom always says that if white people are doing some dumb thing, you can always find some black people doing it too, but I really don’t understand what Voddie gets out of hanging around these hyper Reformed, neo-Confederate types.   I can see why he’d be into patriarchy, since a not insignificant number of black men think that white supremacy emasculates black men, and so a lot of black spiritual traditions try to “restore the manhood” of black men (see the Nation of Islam and various black Christian men’s conferences), but then that’s negated when Voddie associates with neo-Confederates who think that the only thing wrong with slavery is that it doesn’t exist anymore. I remember reading a blog entry by Jasmine about how her extended family didn’t understand her family’s choices, especially how Jasmine was seemingly willingly not taking advantage of the educational and job opportunities her ancestors sacrificed for her to have. I just don’t get Voddie at all. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I just don’t get Voddie at all. 

My take on why Voddie does what he does is basically the same as all the other patriarchal assholes - it's all about the GREEN, baby.  They found a way to make a living by bloviating, and they stick with it till that dog doesn't hunt any more (see: DPIART).

Also, all the racist evangelicals can produce him as evidence they aren't racist.  He's the "but I have black friends!" darling of their set.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic