IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

18 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I rarely disagree with Katie, but she just pissed me off.  AYNA is definitely as racist as hell.  And Christianity should not and may not take over all other cultures and religions.

I read Katie’s comment more like what makes AYNA a racist movie isn’t just the stereotypical presentation of Native Americans, but the fact that its whole plot is built on a dominionist philosophy that is inherently racist (as she illustrates in the previous paragraph)

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I'm reading Katie carefully and I don't think she's saying that it's not a racist film,  but rather she's focused on deconstructing the dynamics of how the VF theological underpinnings manifest in the movie.  

I've read all of Katie's blog posts.  She's a professional writer, edits a magazine about language; she's a nuanced thinker.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I thought the Tool's scenes were cut from AYNA after the scandal.  I remember the film being discussed here in detail when the news of the Oscar nomination broke.

Katie Botkin reviewed it here:  https://kbotkin.com/2014/01/16/alone-yet-not-alone-in-a-sea-of-dominionism/

Short excerpt:

But say what to the bolded!  I rarely disagree with Katie, but she just pissed me off.  AYNA is definitely as racist as hell.  And Christianity should not and may not take over all other cultures and religions.

I am with you completely here. My ex- is of native descent and we’re both still in the community. Katie is disappointing in her unoriginal approach to defining racism against this particular group. Would she ever write the same about a film exploring Euro-Americans and African-Americans, or about Euro colonialists in Africa?

This is all I’ll have to say about it, but yeah, it’s gonna take me a while to warm back up to Katie. Not a long while, but a while. What a dunderheaded pronouncement...! 

• Upvote 8

I think the point  she was making is that it's not motivated by "we're superior because white!" but "we're superior because Jesus!"

Though of course the latter can often be used as a fig leaf to make the former look presentable to people who don't want to sound racist since that would mess with their sense of self-righteousness.

• Upvote 11

On 8/26/2019 at 11:53 AM, Marian the Librarian said:

Kelly also maintains an active Instagram account, https://www.instagram.com/kellygreysonlive/, in which her six-pack abs feature frequently and prominently.

They do. I must say, if I had that body, I'd want to be photographed, nude, roughly every half hour. Daddy may have paid for parts of it, but she clearly works to maintain it.

As an actress, I think she's a fine model.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:12 AM, Petronella said:

I’d love someone to recap it. Pretty please???

Going in.

Spoiler

1975759925_NortonpreparingtowriteGIF.gif.3d5b91209f3e69ce1f9364a01bd18627.gif

My snark is in parenthesis.

Title rolls over a beautiful rocky stream (rocky streams, waterfalls and underwater caves and rapids are the best things in this picture - not just their beauty; their acting.).

Subtitle on screen: 1755. Based on the True Story of an American Family (wrong order, and too many caps, guys).

Pan down over a ship, to a dock.

Subtitle on screen: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (after this would have been a good place for the 1755).

Kelly as Barbara, in voiceover: "America was a haven for those seeking prosperity and  freedom to worship as they saw fit. In the struggle for dominance between England and France, the English colonies had one critical advantage; its population of over one million people was twenty times greater than that of the French. To be in Canada, one had to be both French and Catholic, whereas the British colonies welcomed all who fled Europe's wars and famines. That's why Papa brought our family to Philadelphia. But Regina and I -- we were scared to death."

( I promise I won't go on in such detail -- it's just that the exposition has such pretty scenery and such shitty writing that I had to mention how they set the mood, then shatter it. In the voice-over, Kelly sounds very much like a modern American. But now the German accents begin. Bad German accents. We're talkin' Katzenjammer Kids throw Mama from the train a kiss accents).

The Leininger family (Mama, Papa, two teen/young adult brothers and two younger sisters, Barbara and Regina) praise the new land, the brothers do a manly little square dance, the men guffaw, Papa reminds Mama to speak English in the new land, and they start moving their lovely wooden boxes off of the dock.

Subtitle on screen: Spring, 1755, Penn's Creek, Pennsylvania

Montage - the family on the land they purchased, living in tents, building their log house, planting, farming, hunting, Barbara pouring a pitcher of water over her brother's head. The family has a dramatic scare when the dog alerts in the middle of the night. It's not scary Indians -- it's a skunk! Hahahah - whew!

Subtitle on screen: General Braddocks's Encampment. Establishing shot of white tents, with drum cadences as the only music.

Lots of redcoats and Lenape men mill about. Young George Washington arrives to speak to the general. We have the obligatory scene of an obsequious aide fussing to put on the general's wig (can't let the modern audience think those wigs are supposed to look natural -- we weren't cheap on production costs, folks; they wore 'em that way, honest!).

Washington says that chiefs from six local tribes would like to be seen, to offer their help to the British. The general says he has no time "for savages." Washington pleads the case for the chiefs, and the general agrees to see them.

Chief Selinquaw is stoic and eloquent, and asks for hunting land in exchange for helping to drive out the French.

The general is basically Monty Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year. He does the "no savage shall inherit this land" bit, but we are clearly supposed to hate him (this does not mean the movie is not racist underneath, though -- showing that First Nations people had a reason to fight whites has been part of movie tradition since the Westerns of the 1950s). Selinquaw and the other chiefs leave.

More later  . . .

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 10

My computer has been acting weird,  but I think I've got it submitting again. Back to AYNA. BTW, this movie may require a whole other level of snark from someone who knows history and costuming better than I do.

Having watched it, I feel like part of the movie's problem is that they felt the need to re-tell the timeworn individual anecdotes from this family story, without any particular theme (not even faith or family, really). It reminds me of how little kids tell a story by listing: "and then we walked to the bus, and then the bus came, and then we got on the bus, and then the bus drove to school, and then we got off the bus . . . "

OK, back to the recap:

Selinquaw tells the other chiefs "Gather your warriors. We go -- and join the French."

Subtitle on screen: Two Months Later - Moskingo Village.

People dressed in leathers and feathers dance, whoop and drum by firelight. Chief Selinquw tells a gathering "The Great Spirit has given us great victory over the Yankees at Fort Duqesne." One of the men answers "Yes. While we were away, Evil Spirit has stolen the rain. Now the corn withers."

Exposition conversation -- they used to hunt along the Delaware river, but the settlers have pushed them 300 miles west, into Ohio. They decide to go on the warpath (yes, they use that very word), take back their land, take many scalps to trade with the French, and bring back captives to replace women and children killed by the pox. The chief assigns his sons Hannawoa and Galasko (they are not introduced as his sons, BTW, I just know they are from having watched the rest of the film), to go fight. Everyone grunts approval (again, I kid you not).

Subtitle on screen: Fall 1755 - Penns Creek

Back to the Leiningers' farm, where the corn harvest is fabulous (I guess we know where the Evil Spirit spat out that rain, huh?). We meet Fritz, a friend of the boys. At dinner, Mama suggests going back to Germany "vere der are no vild Indians," the men disagree, Papa teaches Barbara how to use a gun at the dinner table. Exposition in conversation - Indians have massacred General Twit -- er, Braddock's army.

They read the Bible, and Papa tells them that God will always be with them, and freedom to worship, and freedom from being slaves to "the Duke" back in Germany, is worth danger, even death. "What could be more wonderful than to go from our beautiful valley straight to heaven?"

While cleaning up after dinner, Barbara finds a silver brooch in a trunk and admires it (I like it, too!). Mama explains that Papa bought for her, for their engagement, and spent a year's wages on it (I guess they had to make sure we knew about the brooch - it's an important prop later on - but why not have a non-family member admire it on Mama? I find it hard to believe that pre-teen Barbara never saw it before and never heard the story. Papa and Mama look awfully sentimental about this lovely gift Mama has apparently never worn, packed, unpacked or polished in front of her daughter).

Mama sings the title song to the girls as a lullaby. The music changes to repeated minor thirds, and we see two Natives in the darkness outside the cabin.

Morning -- Mama, son John and friend Fritz are taking the corn to market. Son Christian stays home with Papa and the girls. Galasko and Hannawoa (I think -- this actor is so painted up that it's hard to tell) break in. Papa sends the girls out on the pretense of getting fresh water for them from the spring, and tells Barbara, in German, to wait for him in the cave.

Galasko and whoever that is kill Papa and Christian, and we see them take some things, including the brooch. They set the cabin on fire, find the girls in the cave (which is partly underwater - without the bad acting, it would be a cool-looking, boats and bats scene), and carry them off.

A screenshot from when the men get to the bank of the stream:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5c2613dcc09724324f61d8b8f23c2ff1.png

They figure out that the girls have gotten into a boat and are in the cave (the triangular dark shape to the left, under the ledge of grey rock). When next we see them, it is inside the cave, and they are following the girls in another boat. Where the hell did that boat come from?

More tomorrow -- I must go to bed.

• Thank You 11

The "Leininger" family??? Nice bit of ass-kissing there.

Also, pretty sure German immigrants kept right on speaking German. Wasn't there a movement to make German the official language of the brand-new United States, or did I dream that?

• Upvote 5

Since we are talking about terrible christian movies, check out this new one LMAO

https://www.christianpost.com/sponsored/christian-film-i-believe-highlights-power-of-childlike-faith.html 

With stellar acting, a high production value, and a compelling storyline, “I Believe” also provides believers with an opportunity to share the Gospel with others. 

I've not seen it but I am 100 percent confident this is not true. ?

In a culture where many children’s movies and TV shows push an anti-Christian agenda, one film is trying to combat that with an uncompromising Christian message wrapped in an exciting, captivating story aimed towards and resonating strongly with children. 

The bolded bwahahaha.... you tried. (Sidenote, I didn't know Wilford Brimley was still alive.)

Failed quote entry here, and i cant delete it. Carry on.

The film highlights the importance of childlike faith — for children and adults alike.

No questioning or thinking too hard about what we tell you, you'll see through our scam.

A Christian Alternative to "Harry Potter"

Oh my god, this tired old line.  HP is great, but it's literally getting old now.  The writer of this article really needs to update their bias to be against Marvel.  It even says earlier in the article that the main character likes superheroes.  But the author just can't help themselves, they have drank too much anti HP koolaid, because i'm sure writing about that popular franchise in the past gave them clicks. The knee jerk "no harry potter!" is ingrained now.

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 6

59 minutes ago, VVV said:

The "Leininger" family??? Nice bit of ass-kissing there.

Also, pretty sure German immigrants kept right on speaking German

The film is based on a Leininger family story, so the name wasn't chosen to kiss up. In fact, it hasn't been mentioned so far in the film (and I can't remember if and when it is). Of course, making the entire movie was a kiss-up to the Leiningers, so there's that.  ?

As for their not speaking German, that is "covered" in cheesy-movie fashion, by Papa's reminding Mama to speak English in the first scene. That way, they have an excuse to speak English, and we don't need subtitles, except when Papa fools the Indians by speaking in German to Barbara. Her ability to speak German plays a role later in the film, as well.

I may not be the best choice for seeing how badly this film may be screwing up historical accuracy or authentic costumes, but boy oh boy, do I know predictable bad-movie tropes (and there are more to come!).

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Of course, making the entire movie was a kiss-up to the Leiningers, so there's that

And, of course, Jim Leininger  funded and produced the whole movie.

The Texas conservative and billionaire businessman supported VFM for years: He said his donations included the building on Blanco Road and the home that Phillips and his family lived in while they worked for the ministry.

Leininger said he was particularly drawn to Phillips’ love of history and his work in the independent Christian film festival. Leininger funded and produced the film Alone Yet Not Alone, which drew national attention when the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences suddenly rescinded the Christian film’s nomination for best original song in March. Both Phillips and the woman Phillips was involved with appeared in the film.

Leininger said parts of those short scenes will likely remain, and that he hopes they won’t detract from the film, slated for a June release. He hasn’t spoken with Phillips since the resignation, but called the developments sad: “It’s just very disappointing for what a long time looked to be a very promising witness for Christ.” He’s glad Phillips acknowledged his sin and stepped down, and hopes his repentance is genuine: “Time will tell.”

https://world.wng.org/2014/03/set_adrift

ETA,  time has told that Doug prefers cavorting with burlesque dancers to genuine repentance.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Back to the action:

The men carry the girls to their encampment, and dump them with other captured children. Barbara recognizes one, named Marie, who tells her that her parents were murdered. Hannawoa bellows "No talk!" at them, and the scene ends with a shot of this sweet face, which looks familiar to me, but I can't place him (not a Phillips, and no Bradricks are in the credits -- anybody recognize who this could be, in 2013?):

Spoiler

image.png.87a776be68e652cfbe955828539bdf97.png

Night falls - a woman is dragged over to the children, crying "How could you kill my baby?" The man dragging her drops her with the kids, grabs a toddler and shoves her at the woman, saying "You want baby? Have that woman's baby."

Montage of the Natives dragging the children and woman, burning cabins, eating but not feeding the captives.

Establishing shot of a brick building.

Subtitle on screen: Governor's Mansion - Philadelphia

Captain Armstrong warns Governor Morris (who is another candidate for Python's Twit of the Year -- not quite as Terry-Thomas-chipmunky as the General was, but clearly an asshole. I swear, the British stereotypes in this film are in a neck-and-neck race for offensiveness with the First Nations ones!) about the Natives attacking and selling scalps to the French. Morris refuses to believe it, but sends him to "ascertain what we have done to offend the Delaware chief."

Back to the encampment - Galasko tells the children to eat, and we see the kids crawling towards the cooking meat, hands and feet still bound. Barbara asks how they can eat when bound, and he cuts the binding on her hands. He also introduces himself, points out his brother, and tells her they are "Indian children" now, and her new name is Susquehanna.

Night falls. Barbara assures her sister and Marie that God will never leave them or forsake then, they hum a bit of the title song. Barbara makes Regina promise she will always keep the song in her heart, Regina makes Barbara promise she will never leave her. More of the song.

Day - Regina is given to another tribe, and taken away (talk about a predictable movie trope - Barbara's promise to never leave Regina was right up there with boyish secondary characters in war movies planning what they will do when they get home and talking about how they miss Ma - we know they have to die in the next scene. Sheesh).

More later . . .

• Thank You 7

Barbara takes advantage of an opportune moment to jump on a horse and try to escape. She hits her head on a branch and falls off. While she is unconscious, we see a slo-mo, soft focus montage of her carrying a toddler and various shots of the Natives killing people and burning cabins (her dreams, I guess, but I have no idea why these images were chosen, since they don't tell us anything we don't already know --  just some stuff they didn't want to leave on the cutting room floor?).

When she awakens, she is tied to a tree, with a pyre of twigs around her feet. Hannawoa and another man set fire to it, Barbara prays. Galasko comes in and saves her because she showed courage and sibling loyalty (we know this because he questions her, makes a speech, argues with the other men). He also makes her promise not to to try to escape again, under penalty of death (while all of this chat is going on, it's not clear what is happening with the fire. In some shots we see rising smoke, in some none. Galasko sort of stomps at the fire when he first appears, but there's no sign it has actually gone out during all of the talking). The men all make nasty faces at her, and turn away dramatically, leaving her tied to the tree.

Governor's mansion -- Governor Morris can't understand why, after 73 years of peace, the Indians are attacking now. Armstrong explains that the Delaware tribe was cheated of their land. We see a reaction shot from a third guy, who looks a bit like a youngish Ben Franklin. Hey, it is Ben Franklin!

Franklin and Armstrong blame the Quakers for not appropriating money for Chief Jacob's tribe, they warn the governor that refugees from the settlements are coming east to Philadlphia. Franklin and the Governor get pissy with each other about how badly the Governor governs, and whether the Pennsylvanians are "citizens" or "subjects of King George." The governor asks Franklin to get a military appropriation from the Quakers, and all three of them deride a General Dunbar for being a coward (if this is supposed to be clear exposition, there's either something wrong with this scene, or my brain).

Subtitle on screen - Fort Duqesne

The captives are brought to Fort Duquesne, Marie clinging to Barbara, who appears unsinged. Hannawoa gathers up scalps from the other men. He grabs one from Galasko's belt -- well, he tries (it's really badly done, and looks like he gets it, so I thought it was a continuity error, since it's important that Galasko has this scalp later on).

A child in the captive group is ill - Barbara, Marie and the adult woman in the captive group help him. He is introduced as David Breckenreach, his friend as Owen Gibson.

Shot of an exterior we've never seen, with a fence and small building -- no subtitle. A mob  approaches a group of men in front of the building, one of whom tells them they must turn back or face prosecution.  Captain Armstrong is leading the mob, and he says "Sheriff, you and your deputies have been relieved." He takes their guns and asks them to take them to The Assembly.

I guess those were the refugees, Armstrong has joined them, and that was a guardhouse of some sort - some more information would have been nice. Oh, BTW, Mama and John Leininger (remember them?) are with the mob.

A building interior we haven't seen before - no subtitle. Franklin is addressing some men (I guess this is the Assembly -- we can hear the mob outside). They are protesting fighting, and using thee and thou -- must be those darned Quakers!

(Am I seeing things -- is that Scott Brown?):

Spoiler

image.png.0c8c45607b9320e2cef1edb8bba18c3e.png

Franklin, being the clever man he is, tells them they should appropriate money with the wording "for the king's use" and that way they are not agreeing to fund war (um, OK -- seems sorta simple, and why didn't they do it for the previous request, and avoid all of this bloodshed?). They agree. Franklin takes the bill out to the crowd. They cheer.

Back at Fort Duqesne (we get a subtitle this time!), Owen and David steal food from the French soldiers, who are too busy carousing to notice (we can add drunken Frenchmen to our offensive stereotype list).

The Natives take the captives out of the fort. Marie drops something, and Owen picks it up - Marie and Barbara share a "he's so cute!" look (because that's what's on your mind when being dragged along not knowing whether you'll be dead any minute).

Subtitle - Kittaning Village

The captives are pushed through a gauntlet of grabbing whooping stereotypes.

Subtitle - two months later.

Governor's mansion - the Governor gives Captain Armstrong his orders to raid the Kittaning Village.

Next time . . . the raid . . .

• Thank You 7

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Barbara takes advantage of an opportune moment to jump on a horse and try to escape. She hits her head on a branch and falls off. While she is unconscious, we see a slo-mo, soft focus montage of her carrying a toddler and various shots of the Natives killing people and burning cabins (her dreams, I guess, but I have no idea why these images were chosen, since they don't tell us anything we don't already know --  just some stuff they didn't want to leave on the cutting room floor?).

When she awakens, she is tied to a tree, with a pyre of twigs around her feet. Hannawoa and another man set fire to it, Barbara prays. Galasko comes in and saves her because she showed courage and sibling loyalty (we know this because he questions her, makes a speech, argues with the other men). He also makes her promise not to to try to escape again, under penalty of death (while all of this chat is going on, it's not clear what is happening with the fire. In some shots we see rising smoke, in some none. Galasko sort of stomps at the fire when he first appears, but there's no sign it has actually gone out during all of the talking). The men all make nasty faces at her, and turn away dramatically, leaving her tied to the tree.

Governor's mansion -- Governor Morris can't understand why, after 73 years of peace, the Indians are attacking now. Armstrong explains that the Delaware tribe was cheated of their land. We see a reaction shot from a third guy, who looks a bit like a youngish Ben Franklin. Hey, it is Ben Franklin!

Franklin and Armstrong blame the Quakers for not appropriating money for Chief Jacob's tribe, they warn the governor that refugees from the settlements are coming east to Philadlphia. Franklin and the Governor get pissy with each other about how badly the Governor governs, and whether the Pennsylvanians are "citizens" or "subjects of King George." The governor asks Franklin to get a military appropriation from the Quakers, and all three of them deride a General Dunbar for being a coward (if this is supposed to be clear exposition, there's either something wrong with this scene, or my brain).

Subtitle on screen - Fort Duqesne

The captives are brought to Fort Duquesne, Marie clinging to Barbara, who appears unsinged. Hannawoa gathers up scalps from the other men. He grabs one from Galasko's belt -- well, he tries (it's really badly done, and looks like he gets it, so I thought it was a continuity error, since it's important that Galasko has this scalp later on).

A child in the captive group is ill - Barbara, Marie and the adult woman in the captive group help him. He is introduced as David Breckenreach, his friend as Owen Gibson.

Shot of an exterior we've never seen, with a fence and small building -- no subtitle. A mob  approaches a group of men in front of the building, one of whom tells them they must turn back or face prosecution.  Captain Armstrong is leading the mob, and he says "Sheriff, you and your deputies have been relieved." He takes their guns and asks them to take them to The Assembly.

I guess those were the refugees, Armstrong has joined them, and that was a guardhouse of some sort - some more information would have been nice. Oh, BTW, Mama and John Leininger (remember them?) are with the mob.

A building interior we haven't seen before - no subtitle. Franklin is addressing some men (I guess this is the Assembly -- we can hear the mob outside). They are protesting fighting, and using thee and thou -- must be those darned Quakers!

(Am I seeing things -- is that Scott Brown?):

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.0c8c45607b9320e2cef1edb8bba18c3e.png

Franklin, being the clever man he is, tells them they should appropriate money with the wording "for the king's use" and that way they are not agreeing to fund war (um, OK -- seems sorta simple, and why didn't they do it for the previous request, and avoid all of this bloodshed?). They agree. Franklin takes the bill out to the crowd. They cheer.

Back at Fort Duqesne (we get a subtitle this time!), Owen and David steal food from the French soldiers, who are too busy carousing to notice (we can add drunken Frenchmen to our offensive stereotype list).

The Natives take the captives out of the fort. Marie drops something, and Owen picks it up - Marie and Barbara share a "he's so cute!" look (because that's what's on your mind when being dragged along not knowing whether you'll be dead any minute).

Subtitle - Kittaning Village

The captives are pushed through a gauntlet of grabbing whooping stereotypes.

Subtitle - two months later.

Governor's mansion - the Governor gives Captain Armstrong his orders to raid the Kittaning Village.

Next time . . . the raid . . .

So...bored...

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Hannawoa gathers up scalps from the other men.

I forgot to mention -- he sells them to a French officer.

Sorry about your boredom, Petronella! It's hard to hit the highlights of what is amusingly bad, what is offensively bad, and still try to tell the disjointed, complicated story.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Sorry about your boredom, Petronella! It's hard to hit the highlights of what is amusingly bad, what is offensively bad, and still try to tell the disjointed, complicated story.

I meant no criticism of your recap! Just the story itself feels so listy, and so cliche, which you successfully communicated VERY WELL ? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

17 minutes ago, Petronella said:

I meant no criticism of your recap! Just the story itself feels so listy, and so cliche, which you successfully communicated VERY WELL ? 

Thanks! I keep going back to edit, trying to make it more succinct (never my strong suit), then thinking "I can't leave that out - it's so bizarre/offensive/confusing/cheesy."

The only consistent thing throughout the film is the huge contrast between the locations (and the cinematography -- I'm no expert, but I think it is good) and the writing, editing and mostly-bad acting.

Whoever scouted locations for this did a great job. We keep seeing gorgeous settings -- authentic-looking structures (I think some of it is Williamsburg), magnificent woods and caves and water. Then the humans spoil it all by talking.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 9

On 8/31/2019 at 8:37 AM, VVV said:

Also, pretty sure German immigrants kept right on speaking German.

Yes, descendants of German settlers in Texas, including my grandmother, continued to speak German until at least WWII and many continued after that.  

• Upvote 8

@thoughtful - these recaps are great, and you're doing really well.

The film is unbelievably snarkworthy, as in nearly every scene & every word (or glance) merits ridicule. 

Still, perhaps it's better that James Leininger poured his money into this dreck rather than TX school board races.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

On 8/31/2019 at 10:15 AM, The Mother Dust said:

Oh my god, this tired old line.  HP is great, but it's literally getting old now.  The writer of this article really needs to update their bias to be against Marvel.  It even says earlier in the article that the main character likes superheroes.  But the author just can't help themselves, they have drank too much anti HP koolaid, because i'm sure writing about that popular franchise in the past gave them clicks. The knee jerk "no harry potter!" is ingrained now.

I'm surprised they haven't gone after Percy Jackson books given that the differing series have different pantheons of god involved.

Edited by Seahorse Wrangler
words have meanings
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

The film is unbelievably snarkworthy, as in nearly every scene & every word (or glance) merits ridicule. 

It is, and I'm sure I'm missing a lot that experts in other aspects would catch. I love reading the "goofs" for films on IMDb, and see how others have caught things I would never notice, like models of cars, military uniforms, costumes.

I also tend to miss the sandwich that had a bite taken out that magically repairs in the next shot, the cigarette that varies wildly in length (or the drink in depth) second by second, the wristwatch on an extra in a Biblical epic. But once it is pointed out, I can't not see it.

I notice flat glasses (no prescription!), hairstyles from the time the film was made that don't match when it is set, inaccurate music stuff and bad piano faking, offensive stereotypes, and tropes and cliches that have been used a million times.

Edited by thoughtful
posted pics that belong in other reply -- too many tabs open!
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

The raid scene starts with a shot of the adult woman in the captive group, sleeping with some of the kids around her.

Without the dirt and muslin costumes, it might as well be a movie about a suburban mom and her kids -- she stretches, sits up, kisses Marie on the forehead. For a bizarre moment, I expect the music to be Grieg's Morning Mood from Peer Gynt. Close, as it's a flute solo, but it's more in the trying-to-sound-Indian mold (it is actually pretty - while cliche, the music in the film is generally not horrible or overbearing).

Scenes of village life, with the captives apparently assimilated -- grinning, playing, helping with chores. Armstrong's men raid the camp (lots of creeping up, then lots of fighting and shooting -- performances and editing don't quite eliminate the look of it being choreographed). We see shots of the captives trying to be noticed and their captors moving them around (bad editing again -- it's unclear, by the end of the scene, if they are still captive, out in the woods, or?).

The adult captive hides two little boys under a stone ledge:

Spoiler

image.png.de2f3c96198161e5d7e25faca9095bef.png

then runs out to let herself be captured (this scene is actually pretty well done, except that, as she is being carried off, she stops pounding on her captor's back and screaming to flip her head up and make a really exaggerated "shh" gesture to the boys, who probably can't see her anyway, then resumes screaming and pounding).

Spoiler

image.png.f86b557678e274388557b1586297463f.png

Armstrong's men find the two boys.

Long shot of canoes being rowed away. It is still not clear where the captives are.

Armstrong's camp - night. (and now it is time for a cliche that might rank as one of the top five action/war/noir movie cliches of all time! Let's see if you can complete this sentence:)

Armstrong, with his pipe in his mouth, calmly asks about the results of the raid while another man

Spoiler

digs a bullet out of his shoulder (you saw that coming, right?).

The other man is grunting and panting with the effort. When he gets the bullet out, he says "Got it!" and drops it into a tin can with a loud clank (have I mentioned that the sound effects in this film are all OTT?). Stoic, unflinching Armstrong gets to sigh a bit then.

(The only thing they missed was somebody saying "It's only a flesh wound," which, besides The Holy Grail, always makes me think of How To Steal a Million, which contains this exchange between Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole:

Nicole: Don't be such a baby, it's just a flesh wound.

Dermott: Well, it's my flesh.)

Armstrong asks about casualties, wounded, captives. Does he mean captives from among his men? The original captives? He tells the lieutenant to take men and look for captives in the woods, so I guess they didn't rescue them at the village. 

Spoiler

The bullet-digger yells "Next!"

A forest -- we see a Native sentinel, then Barbara and Marie (so I guess they're still captive). A man drags the adult captive into the camp, the children call out "Lydia!" over and over (apparently, her name is Lydia), and it is decided she must burn in the morning. The children say "Lydia, Lydia, Lydia, no!" in case we didn't catch the name.

More later . . .

Edited by thoughtful
adding spoiler
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

@thoughtful -- hope you're doing these recaps while well-fortified with adult beverages or at least some high test dark chocolate.

Thanks again for taking one for the team!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic