IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

28 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Look what I found!

https://tubitv.com/movies/382397/alone_yet_not_alone

Dougie's feature film debut, the semi-historical homage to the Leiningers, Alone Yet Not Alone. The entire masterpiece!

If you want to watch the whole thing, go for it -- it's badly acted, badly edited, and has bad accents and wigs of all kinds. There 's some gorgeous scenery and nice buildings, though.

Here's who I found, and where I found them:

Jubilee Phillips (and Lourdes’ mom?) at 48:15, 49:13, 51:23, playing young Hylea

Lourdes (and her mom?) – 1:00:29

Brett Harris 1:05-1:12:20, off and on, 1:15:09, 1:18:17-end, off and on (it’s a major role)

1:16:35 – Dougie (in the worst wig since Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity!), 1:20:10 (now there’s a hat, too! He must have been in heaven), 1:22:30-1:24

According to the cast list, all of the Phillipses are in it somewhere, but I didn't spot them on first viewing. If I find them, I'll come back and post again, but I'd love it if someone beat me to it!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1986769/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

I kind of want to watch this, but I'm cringing already and I haven't even clicked on the link. What to do, what to do... :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

In keeping with the discussion in the JRod thread, I did find something else to like about this film -- the wood boxes in the first scene:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.66ace5e3171d4d3b038f52ccd3737836.png

and the pottery in a scene near the end (not my exact style, but nice):

Spoiler

image.png.9a548697b0878a0dd2cd5397425c7c39.png

But then, there's this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2c3d1e7523bc97fe3f1cb4d9ffbf4eb3.png

And this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.476e2d93193d08628e46a424d529218b.png

In which Doug admires the fact that Kelly's hair went from jet black with the dye the Lenape had put on it for 10 years, to gleaming blonde (and a whole other texture!) in only one bath. Oddly, her roots are still somewhat darker.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

• Haha 13

3 hours ago, thoughtful said:

In keeping with the discussion in the JRod thread, I did find something else to like about this film -- the wood boxes in the first scene:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.66ace5e3171d4d3b038f52ccd3737836.png

and the pottery in a scene near the end (not my exact style, but nice):

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.9a548697b0878a0dd2cd5397425c7c39.png

But then, there's this:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.2c3d1e7523bc97fe3f1cb4d9ffbf4eb3.png

And this:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.476e2d93193d08628e46a424d529218b.png

In which Doug admires the fact that Kelly's hair went from jet black with the dye the Lenape had put on it for 10 years, to gleaming blonde (and a whole other texture!) in only one bath. Oddly, her roots are still somewhat darker.

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Doug Doug Doug.....nice try at a head fake...we all know you prefer brunettes.

• Haha 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, The Mother Dust said:

Doug Doug Doug.....nice try at a head fake...we all know you prefer brunettes.

Funny you should say that --  a brunette, Victoria Emmons*, who is much more Doug's type, who comes into the scene about a second after the screen shot I posted above. Maybe he's looking past Kelly at Victoria get that little smile (actors need motivation, after all):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c736c7e91bbb03bd922c96b771cb7862.png

I urge anyone who was ever amused by Doug (or ever hated him) to watch his scenes in this film. It is Battle Swords in Action faux-British Doug at his most laughable.

I want to see outtakes.

* More on Victoria here:

http://theemmonssisters.blogspot.com/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2745259/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

A quote:

As a Christian, I want to live my life so that it is a glory to the Lord. This carries right over into film making. I think the movies we make should impact the world for the better.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Maybe he's looking past Kelly at Victoria...

Or maybe he's looking past her at that strapping, brunet redcoat on her left! His dark, shiny wig is awfully enticing! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

Lourdes Torres also has a role in this movie

Yep - I specified when she appears in my first post about it.

We had a thread about the nomination when it first happened, as well as discussion in the Doug threads, if you want a trip down memory lane.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Funny you should say that --  a brunette, Victoria Emmons*, who is much more Doug's type, who comes into the scene about a second after the screen shot I posted above. Maybe he's looking past Kelly at Victoria get that little smile (actors need motivation, after all):

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.c736c7e91bbb03bd922c96b771cb7862.png

I urge anyone who was ever amused by Doug (or ever hated him) to watch his scenes in this film. It is Battle Swords in Action faux-British Doug at his most laughable.

I want to see outtakes.

* More on Victoria here:

http://theemmonssisters.blogspot.com/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2745259/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

A quote:

As a Christian, I want to live my life so that it is a glory to the Lord. This carries right over into film making. I think the movies we make should impact the world for the better.

She once judged me in a Speech and Debate competition.

• Upvote 9

Well, I just watched the whooooole thing, and O.M.G. it is Truly Awful! True to form, Dougie doesn't walk - he struts - and talks out of one side of his mouth...and merciful God, that wig...

I think I've spotted Liberty Phillips at 1:31:40 (standing wrapped in a blanket, behind Brett Harris); Faith (*maybe*) at 1:33:43; and is that Beall in a pink dress at 1:24:38? If not, maybe at 1:25:48 (blue dress, walking with 2 boys)? IMDB says she played "Eunice Fitzgerald," but this magnum opus contains a veritable cast of thousands, I'm darned if I can figure out for sure where Beall had her 15 seconds of fame.

@thoughtful, you win the Internet for finding this, thanks for the laughs!

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

Sorry for the repeat info -- I thought I had read through all the thread but clearly not.

No problem. And I hope I didn't sound like "duh - we know that!" I didn't mean it that way, just wanted to make sure you hadn't missed anything that you might find interesting.

I get rather excited when it comes to mocking Doug. :my_blush:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I think I've spotted Liberty Phillips at 1:31:40 (standing wrapped in a blanket, behind Brett Harris)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cb537704f9767619d914f8be0e8f717f.png

20 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Faith (*maybe*) at 1:33:43;  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f835a67e2ea39b0a6a92fec95f498628.png

21 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

is that Beall in a pink dress at 1:24:38? If not, maybe at 1:25:48 (blue dress, walking with 2 boys)?

Spoiler

image.png.d2e77d877014089db6118308533651d6.png

image.png.178ec97ff55d295bbfa69df6f5fc413c.png

The blue dress lady is too far away to tell, for me.

What do you think, folks?

I thought Justice would be easy to spot, since he's credited as "Leftenant Jones" so I figured he'd be in uniform. But I haven't found him, or JT.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I got an error saying that tubi is not available in Europe, which is weird cos I'm most definitely not viewing from Europe.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Well, I just watched the whooooole thing, and O.M.G. it is Truly Awful! True to form, Dougie doesn't walk - he struts - and talks out of one side of his mouth...and merciful God, that wig...

@thoughtful, you win the Internet for finding this, thanks for the laughs!

Nice scenery and the bits I saw (had to fast forward) were just awful.  ?. That was too much for MST3K even!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Soulhuntress said:

Nice scenery and the bits I saw (had to fast forward) were just awful.  ?. That was too much for MST3K even!

My life would truly come full circle if they featured this. I am determined to make it happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 3

@thoughtful -  Thanks! What a find.

Boy, not even all of James Leininger's money could gild a turd like that movie. It's truly AWFUL.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

@thoughtful -  Thanks! What a find.

Boy, not even all of James Leininger's money could gild a turd like that movie. It's truly AWFUL.

I’d love someone to recap it. Pretty please???

• I Agree 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Petronella said:

I’d love someone to recap it. Pretty please???

Hooboy. It's an hour & 40-some minutes of hilariously terrible film-making.  Will need to set aside time to watch it fast-forward through it again.

In the meantime, here's some background though you really should check out the earlier FJ topics on the movie.

It's supposedly based on the true story of a Leininger ancestress (that arcane term seems appropriate here), Barbara Leininger. It features James Leininger's daughter, Kelly Greyson, a self-described "A-list" person, who plays the adult Barbara Leininger. Despite her film career,  which involves starring in various Christianist productions, Kelly is & was not exactly the model SAH daughter & wife that VF folks loved to tout.

The movie was made during what was probably the final year or so before the Fall of the Tool, so it's chock-full of VF movers, shakers, and leghumpers. Good info in this thread on how to see these folks without watching all of it. And, yes, Be-all is in the credits.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

It features James Leininger's daughter, Kelly Greyson, a self-described "A-list" person, who plays the adult Barbara Leininger. Despite her film career,  which involves starring in various Christianist productions, Kelly is & was not exactly the model SAH daughter & wife that VF folks loved to tout.

"A-list" - mercy me, the rarefied air!!

Kelly also maintains an active Instagram account, https://www.instagram.com/kellygreysonlive/, in which her six-pack abs feature frequently and prominently.

• Haha 5
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

I thought the Tool's scenes were cut from AYNA after the scandal.  I remember the film being discussed here in detail when the news of the Oscar nomination broke.

Katie Botkin reviewed it here:  https://kbotkin.com/2014/01/16/alone-yet-not-alone-in-a-sea-of-dominionism/

Short excerpt:

The longterm goal of quiverfull families is to essentially win the “culture wars” by having exponentially-increasing descendants who adhere to a specific set of beliefs. In essence, “take dominion” of the world for Christ and reconstruct it, with the goal to revive some form of Old Testament law, though the details are a bit murky and somewhat debated. My uncle, Geoff Botkin, went a step further and began selling the idea of a “200 year plan,” in concert with Doug Phillips, wherein every Christian patriarch should have a 200-year, multigenerational vision for his family, complete with a spreadsheet. So far, none of my uncle’s adult children have left home, and they contribute to his ministry, so it seems like it’s working pretty well for him.

When I say that this group of people wants a return to Old Testament law, I mean that it even goes so far as to promote the reinstitution of slavery. The founder of Christian Reconstructionism, R.J. Rushdoony, writes that “The [Biblical] Law here is humane and also unsentimental. It recognizes that some people are by nature slaves and will always be so. It both requires that they be dealt with in a godly manner and also that the slave recognizes his position and accepts it with grace.” Other Christian dominionists  — Dan Horn comes to mind — have explained that slavery can be beneficial when it teaches heathens to be good Christians, or when it gives good Christians the tools they need to expand their empire.

The movie Alone Yet Not Alone has been called racist because of its portrayal of Native Americans, but that’s not really accurate. It’s actually reflecting the idea that Christian culture is superior to Native American culture; that other types of culture are hostile to real Christianity, and that real Christianity can and must eventually take over these other cultures.

But say what to the bolded!  I rarely disagree with Katie, but she just pissed me off.  AYNA is definitely as racist as hell.  And Christianity should not and may not take over all other cultures and religions.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

But say what to the bolded!  I rarely disagree with Katie, but she just pissed me off.  ANYA is definitely as racist as hell.  And Christianity should not and may not take over all other cultures.

I don't think she's agreeing with that sentiment, but clarifying that that is the driving sentiment behind the film. And possibly she's not saying that the film is "not racist" but that it is more driven by Christian dominionism specifically than racism in general. That's the only way it makes sense to me.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

I thought the Tool's scenes were cut from AYNA after the scandal. 

Thought so too -- but I totally guffawed out loud at about 1 AM when he appeared on screen.

That *is* a bizarre take of Katie Botkin's. I guess I see her point but the overall point of the movie, if not the "history," IS the racism plus promotion of white westward expansionism in North America. Conveniently left out of the movie & the 1905 narrative is the fact that the Leiningers and other white settlers may well have been squatting illegally on Leni Lenape or other Native American lands -- something NONE of them would have tolerated had things been the other way around.

BTW, the journal article I linked to above should be readable in its entirety since it's now beyond copyright. It is an example of the genre of Early American captivity narratives, which undoubtedly inform modern-day fundie beliefs about missions, Christian nationalism, persecution, and general world view.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Petronella said:

I don't think she's agreeing with that sentiment, but clarifying that that is the driving sentiment behind the film. And possibly she's not saying that the film is "not racist" but that it is more driven by Christian dominionism specifically than racism in general. That's the only way it makes sense to me.

I hope that is what she means.  But Katie is the product of her environment (CREC survivor) and she may genuinely not see the racism.  It is like Libby Anne and Julie Anne sometimes having blind spots.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic