IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

On 6/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, Howl said:

Thanks for that clarification.  What denomination was/is Phillip associated with? 

I'm so glad she has found a path leading away from her father's toxic teachings! 

Phillip is Presbyterian (the conservative Branch.  I can’t remember which one that is.). Voddie is Baptist. From what I remember, infant baptism was one of the issues of contention. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, G33kywife said:

Phillip is Presbyterian (the conservative Branch.  I can’t remember which one that is.). Voddie is Baptist. From what I remember, infant baptism was one of the issues of contention. 

He seems to identify as "Reformed."  Probably Presbyterian (as you say) although some Baptists identify as Reformed these days.  I swear they only do it to confuse me.  Are they Baptists who think Calvin is cool? 

This isn't up to date but:

http://rivertreefp.com/about-us/our-team/phillip-holmes/

Phillip Holmes

MARKETING CONSULTANT

Phillip Holmes is a Marketing Consultant at Rivertree Financial Planning.

A native of Pickens, MS Phillip attended Belhaven University. He played basketball at Belhaven, and he earned a B.A. in Biblical Studies.

Following graduation, he worked in various fields. In 2011, he helped launch and co-found the Reformed African American Network (RAAN) and served as Vice President until 2015. As co-founder, his passion for writing and marketing began.

Phillip married his wife Jasmine and relocated to Houston. While in Houston he served as Traveling Assistant to Dr. Voddie Baucham. He also worked as a teacher at a Trinity Classical School. In 2015, he went to work for Desiring God, founded by Dr. John Piper, as a writer and content strategist.

Being drawn back to his home state, Phillip returned and joined Rivertree Financial Planning in August of 2016. He handles all of Rivertree’s marketing and communication efforts. 

Phillip and his wife Jasmine live in Pickens with their son, Walter Wynn. They attend Redeemer Church.

RAAN is interesting.  And he also worked for Piper.  

Pretty wedding pictures and a brief description of their courtship here: 

http://www.allixrubyphotography.com/2015/05/in-which-phillip-was-what-he-must-be-to.html

After several months of becoming best friends, Phillip proposed in a way that showed he truly knew the way to Jasmine's heart...with a bag of Skittles (basically her love language) and a dream of a ring stuck inside of a heart that had been carved in the center of her favorite book, Wuthering Heights. ;) In her words "It was perfectly unexpected." :)

Skittles I heartily approve.  Vandalising books, I do not.  And, Jasmine, Wuthering Heights should not be read and seen as romantic by impressionable teens, IMO.  It is a horrible book about child abuse perpetrated upon two generations, revenge, jealousy, mental illness, and very unhealthy obsessive relationships.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

I forgot it was Great Gatsby-themed. LMAO, gets me every time. Nothing says "happily ever after" and "until death do us part" like the Great Gatsby. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I forgot it was Great Gatsby-themed. LMAO, gets me every time. Nothing says "happily ever after" and "until death do us part" like the Great Gatsby. 

Whenever people do this, my first thought is always of the scene in the book where Nick enters the library and the Owl-Eyed Man notes that all of Gatsby's books are uncut (aka unread, unable to be opened, Gatsby had no intention of reading them). These people treat a Gatsby theme like Gatsby treated his books: all for show, all for image, all for glamour...but there never was any intent to actually open the book and read.  

My second thought is usually "Cripes, hope no one ends up dead in a pool after an affair gone wrong."   

Nothing screams "I've never read The Great Gatsby!" like using it as the theme for your wedding.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Whenever people do this, my first thought is always of the scene in the book where Nick enters the library and the Owl-Eyed Man notes that all of Gatsby's books are uncut (aka unread, unable to be opened, Gatsby had no intention of reading them). These people treat a Gatsby theme like Gatsby treated his books: all for show, all for image, all for glamour...but there never was any intent to actually open the book and read.  

My second thought is usually "Cripes, hope no one ends up dead in a pool after an affair gone wrong."   

Nothing screams "I've never read The Great Gatsby!" like using it as the theme for your wedding.  

How about a Romeo and Juliet themed wedding?

https://www.brides.com/story/romeo-and-juliet-themed-wedding

• Sad 1
  • WTF 3

39 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

How about a Romeo and Juliet themed wedding?

https://www.brides.com/story/romeo-and-juliet-themed-wedding

Nothing says "true love" like underage love affairs that end in an accidental double-suicide! 

Don't worry, I'll top it with my Hamlet themed wedding!  Skulls on the table for guests to soliloquize on their own mortality! Pearls in all cups of wine (are they poisoned?  I'll never tell!)! My father, dressed up as a ghost!  Everyone trapped by indecision and unable to make major adult life decisions (at a wedding? What could go wrong with that!)! No one is able to tell whether the bride is 18 or in her 30s! Memorials to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, who of course are dead.  Some dude wandering around spouting sententious maxims! A vaguely Danish aesthetic, but really we all know it's meant to reference the British monarchy!  And the whole thing ends when a Norwegian invades the reception and is far more generous to us than our actions deserve!  

Water features, of course, will have to be roped off to prevent any drownings. 

(I actually love Hamlet and hate modern wedding culture, so I would totally do this if forced into having a big to-do that I don't want)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

(I actually love Hamlet and hate modern wedding culture, so I would totally do this if forced into having a big to-do that I don't want)

Problem is, you'd have to drown yourself on the way to a convent brothel before the wedding.

And drowned people do not look this romantic.

Spoiler

millais-siddal-ophelia.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Problem is, you'd have to drown yourself on the way to a convent brothel before the wedding.

And drowned people do not look this romantic.

Hide contents

millais-siddal-ophelia.jpg

Thank you for referencing this particular painting, which always confused me as Ophelia very clearly has not only her mouth and nose but her entire face, chest, and hands above water!  Also, multiple parts of the painting suggest the water she's lying in is fairly shallow and not moving with enough force to move a body.

I always feel like Ophelia in this image has cast herself into the pond only to find out how shallow it is and is just laying there like "Fuck."

• Haha 32
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, Palimpsest said:

It is a horrible book

Hard disagree, Wuthering Heights is fucking metal. \m/

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

https://www.ouest-france.fr/d-day/en-images-75e-anniversaire-du-debarquement-la-fete-carentan-pour-la-liberte-retrouvee-6388923

47373570_Screenshot_2019-06-20ENIMAGES75eanniversaireduDbarquementLafteCarentanpourlalibertretrouve.png.47eb55c7a0f9bf54e138ac4443f242d9.png

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

OK, I'll say it although thousands wouldn't.  Faith had (note past tense) a potentially beautiful instrument there.  I don't know whether she's permanently ruined it, but she needs proper instruction to unlearn some very bad vocal habits.

She also was not singing Lili Marlene.  That was "We'll meet again."

And this is how it is supposed to sound.

Faith also looks pushing 40 in that heavy make-up.

Faith reminds me of this, except she doesn't know what she is doing:

Spoiler

But keep on watching, Faith, and learn.  The song changes to La Chanson de Craonne, a WWI protest song.  It was banned in France until 1974 for being so subversive and anti-war.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Chanson_de_Craonne

And this is one of the better songs about the inhumanity of war, Faith.  It is not glorious,  So many never came back.  So many never spoke about it.  And you and your pestilent Daddy glorifying it make me sick.

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

To be fair, Faith apparently sang at least a few songs at Carentan; there were some videos on both Doug and Beall's social media. It's entirely possible that particular picture was taken during "Lili Marlene" even if the video below it is of a different song.

I agree with you on the rest. That clip of "We'll Meet Again" is particularly awful. The others sound a bit better, but she desperately needs some decent vocal training.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Faith had (note past tense) a potentially beautiful instrument there.  I don't know whether she's permanently ruined it, but she needs proper instruction to unlearn some very bad vocal habits.

ITA. It may not be too late for lessons from a good voice teacher to be beneficial. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

ITA. It may not be too late for lessons from a good voice teacher to be beneficial. 

I'm a violinist, not a singer, but at a certain point it becomes difficult to impossible to unlearn bad habits, even with the best of teachers and the strongest of desire. Furthermore, voice is unique in that bad habits can cause permanent damage to the instrument if carried on too long. If it isn't already too late for Faith (and I think it is), the road back is long, arduous, and expensive.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

On 6/18/2019 at 12:01 AM, G33kywife said:

PCA = conservative Presbyterian (Reformed theology), PCUSA = liberal Presbyterian (e.g. LGBTQ-affirming)

Some Baptists hold to Reformed (Calvinistic) theology also (such as Piper, Voddie Baucham, etc.); in fact, there was something of a coup in the Southern Baptist denomination ("Conservative Resurgence") and the SBC seminary + leaders like Al Mohler are trying to turn all their churches Reformed/Calvinist/complementarian/etc. whether they want to or not.

You're correct about baptism; PCA and Reformed Baptist see almost eye-to-eye on everything, but PCA practice infant baptism whereas Baptists are all adult (believers') baptism.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

On 6/20/2019 at 9:27 PM, AnnaSofia said:

That clip of "We'll Meet Again" is particularly awful. The others sound a bit better, but she desperately needs some decent vocal training.

Her aunt is a professional singer...

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Howl said:

Her aunt is a professional singer...

...so you’d think she’d have gotten some professional coaching.

I will never forget an overwhelmingly creepy and cringeworthy video clip from the VF glory days.  DPIARBT got up to introduce his teenaged daughter, who was about to sing a solo, by saying something like, “She said she wished she could go on one of the ‘Hazardous Journeys,’ so here I am going on a hazardous journey with her!” She got up to sing an Italian aria (looking only slightly nervous), and he stood there next to her through the whole thing, holding her hand and kissing her cheek at random intervals. It was gut-wrenchingly pervy-looking. I tried to find it on YouTube, but am kind of glad I couldn’t.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Hane said:

I will never forget an overwhelmingly creepy and cringeworthy video clip from the VF glory days.

You may be thinking of this video, from DPIART's video stash over at Vimeo.

The stash includes the infamous "moar cellos" clip.

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

@hoipolloi, my eyes! My eyes! He’s pretty damn handsy in that portion of the video. He wouldn’t even let go of her hand so she could fold up her damn lyric sheet.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Hane said:

@hoipolloi, my eyes! My eyes! He’s pretty damn handsy in that portion of the video. He wouldn’t even let go of her hand so she could fold up her damn lyric sheet.

I know. It's one of the more revolting videos he's done and that's saying something. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

Beall hasn't posted much because she is,  and I quote, "deep in the throws of summer".

It's throes, Queen of Denial.  

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 3

On 6/18/2019 at 11:55 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

The weird thing is, Jasmine actually *is* smart and I bet has actually read the book. Makes the choice all the more confusing. 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:23 PM, Georgiana said:

Don't worry, I'll top it with my Hamlet themed wedding!  Skulls on the table for guests to soliloquize on their own mortality! Pearls in all cups of wine (are they poisoned?  I'll never tell!)! My father, dressed up as a ghost!  Everyone trapped by indecision and unable to make major adult life decisions (at a wedding? What could go wrong with that!)! No one is able to tell whether the bride is 18 or in her 30s! Memorials to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, who of course are dead.  Some dude wandering around spouting sententious maxims! A vaguely Danish aesthetic, but really we all know it's meant to reference the British monarchy!  And the whole thing ends when a Norwegian invades the reception and is far more generous to us than our actions deserve!  

I would love every second of this wedding, just fyi. 

• Haha 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I would love every second of this wedding, just fyi. 

I would too! 

I always say my next wedding will be Beowulf themed- lots of drinking in a proper mead hall.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Beall hasn't posted much because she is,  and I quote, "deep in the throws of summer".

Maybe she's playing lawn darts?

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

I hope she got her car window fixed.  It's been raining a lot in San Antonio. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic