IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who is a Tool)? Part 10

Coconut Flan

Re: Matt & Jennie Chancey. According to her courtship story, they met at work, which would have been the HSLDA. Matt came there to work as an intern after Jennie had graduated from college and gone to work there herself as some kind of office person. It wouldn't surprise me if they also did ballroom dancing. They used to go to the faux Regency events beloved of VF-ers & fellow leg-humpers, if only because it was a great excuse for cosplay.

Re: Beall & fixing up old houses. Count me among those who believe that one or more of the family (the boys, most likely) have been hired by a flipper or someone else to do the initial dirty work on a recently acquired property.

Don't know about housing prices in SA but can totally agree that just about anything still standing in Austin is crazy expensive. I have family who went to UT-Austin 10-15 years ago and it was bad then even for rentals -- probably out of sight now.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

On 3/22/2019 at 12:46 PM, The Mother Dust said:

For all their WWII fetishizing, have they ever been to Japan?  

Nickelodeon said:

Weren't they peddling Iwo Jima sand for a minute there?

@nickelodeon  (I cant seem to properly carry your quote over to this new thread, ugh)  And Yes!  You are right, I had forgotten about them hawking Iwo Jima sand.  So classy.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

It might have been Matt & Jennie's gateway drug to Vision Forum cosplay, but the 90s swing revival was actually pretty well represented in mainstream media; videos in heavy MTV rotation, a Gap commercial, Friends, etc. It was even satirized in an episode of "Daria".

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

It might have been Matt & Jennie's gateway drug to Vision Forum cosplay, but the 90s swing revival was actually pretty well represented in mainstream media; videos in heavy MTV rotation, a Gap commercial, Friends, etc. It was even satirized in an episode of "Daria".

Two of my coworkers started dating and did swing dancing for fun.  They ended up getting married.  That lasted for about three years, and then he left her for another woman he met at a dance competition.

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, hoipolloi said:

I have family who went to UT-Austin 10-15 years ago and it was bad then even for rentals -- probably out of sight now.

Yes, pretty crazy.  The house we bought eight years ago is paid for, because my previous 1948, 800-sq-ft house near UT Austin campus was sold at the height of the previous bubble.  THAT house, a total dump that I remodeled,  was the only thing I could find in my price range during the PREVIOUS crazy housing bubble. 

We were able to have a garage and doubled our square footage for less money by moving about 8 miles further north in Austin.  Now this neighborhood is getting hot, and I think the value of our house (built in the 1970s) has doubled since we bought it, but it's a doubled edged sword! 

I'd love to move to a more compact house with minimal yard, BUT, we'd have to pay property taxes at the rate of the new house, which would be double what we're paying now, so we're kinda stuck here.  This is taxed as our homestead and since we're over 65, a part of the property tax is set at a fixed rate and isn't rising.  

I don't know how our (relatively) younger neighbors are surviving, since their property taxes keep rising at a much higher rate.  This year, I've seen houses in the 'hood (mostly about 1400 sq ft to 1750 sq ft) being spruced up/refreshed and sold to younger people (probably employed in high tech) who drive Mercedes and BMWs, when really this is a kinda Corolla/Camry neighborhood.  

ETA: Saying a little "thank you" prayer to Rufus, because my neighborhood has no HOA. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

@Howl - at the time my family members were at UT-Austin, it was becoming popular if not common for parents to buy condos & apartments for their kids to live in while at school. A good investment, I suppose, if you can afford it. Needless to say, none of us were in that tax bracket. 

• Upvote 4

I live just across a major road from a university in central western Sydney (I can see it right now from my front yard) and our crappy 3 bed one bath plus extremely dodgy granny flat 70s bungalow is worth nearly a million dollars simply based on land and location - every home sold in our street for years has been knocked down to build units or student accommodation. It’s absolutely insane. 

We didn’t (and couldn’t) pay anywhere near that, well husband didn’t, he owned it with his brother when we got together. Property prices in some cities are so out of touch with actual incomes. 

• Upvote 4

In the early ‘80s, when real estate prices and mortgage rates went kerblooey around here (northeastern US), people in NYC decided that all of western Connecticut was a reasonable commute to the city, and started buying up homes in what used to be small blue collar towns. As a result, house prices skyrocketed and kids who had grown up in towns like Canaan couldn’t afford to buy homes in their home town.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

On 3/24/2019 at 1:50 PM, AnnaSofia said:

I adore Daria and love that episode.

Spoiler

tumblr_n8m1bx71gF1qamvsno1_1280.png.6b492b4612952f8455aae82b6e233120.png

tumblr_n8m1bx71gF1qamvsno2_1280.png.8324398977afd62019be1b8d96cd47de.png

Spoiler

tumblr_m8m8oyvjpb1rxsugko1_500.png.573ee31ac9c890ce15034e6b8aa66eab.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

Beall sounds absolutely manic in her last two Insta posts. "My husband, my husband, did I mention I have a HUSBAND???" In one of them she's talking about Liberty and says "my girl Liberty (yes, her real name: my husband is amazing to have thought of that!)"

Okay, but A.) it's not really that amazing, and B.) why are you "revealing" things, as though you have thousands of followers who don't know what your oldest daughter's name is? Is there anyone who follows you who isn't formerly VF or a VF "fan"? We all know this girl's name. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4

On 3/25/2019 at 2:23 AM, hoipolloi said:

@Howl - at the time my family members were at UT-Austin, it was becoming popular if not common for parents to buy condos & apartments for their kids to live in while at school. A good investment, I suppose, if you can afford it. Needless to say, none of us were in that tax bracket. 

When I worked at Big State Univ. assisting grad students, one doctoral student's dad bought a condo for offspring to live in and as an investment.  Dad also continued to declare offspring a dependent on his income taxes. 

Kid was a very hard worker and super student and Dept. awarded kid funds for dissertation research. All cool and legal, except it turned out the financial award was considered income and taxed at the dad's income tax bracket, which instantly wiped out half the value of the award.  Bricks were shat!  This situation had never arisen; doctoral students were usually destitute, living on school loans and paltry income from Teaching Assistantships, with a negligible tax burden.  I can't remember the solution, if there was one.  Crazy times.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Still no response from DPIAT to the citation in the lawsuit from AmEx. Deadline this coming Monday, or there will be a default judgment in favor of the plaintiff.

Time to render unto AmEx that which is AmEx's, Mr. Tool.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, VVV said:

Still no response from DPIAT to the citation in the lawsuit from AmEx. Deadline this coming Monday, or there will be a default judgment in favor of the plaintiff.

Time to render unto AmEx that which is AmEx's, Mr. Tool.

Ahhhhh, the Visionary Husband! Dreams big but not so good with money; the dreams are bigger than the bank account.  Remember that category of husband?  Of course, wives were not categorized, because who cares about the temperaments and yearnings of meek, submissive sperm-repository baby factories. 

I truly hope that Beall and the kids still at home can continue to scrounge up money for rent every month and that they encounter no medical or other financial emergencies.  I sense that they are teetering along the edge of financial disaster, and I don't wish homelessness on anyone. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Howl said:

I truly hope that Beall and the kids still at home can continue to scrounge up money for rent every month and that they encounter no medical or other financial emergencies.  I sense that they are teetering along the edge of financial disaster, and I don't wish homelessness on anyone. 

Yeah, they definitely seem to be on the edge.    What a different life than they had years ago.  Once again, I have mixed feelings about Beall as she participated in Dougie's VF shenanigans and am tempted to see what is happening now as payback in some way but at the same time, she does really seem to be struggling not just financially but emotionally.   In fact, she seems surprised that this is happening to her while many of us here are not at all surprised that someone like DPIAT goes prancing off to Europe leaving his wife and family to struggle.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

My guess is Beall is having a tough time because she spent so much time on top, money, adoration and the belief she had so much because she was favored by God. If others were as holy they would be in the same position. Now She is in the same position of those she likely looked down upon.  I don’t feel sorry for her. I feel sorry for those who have to scrape to get by everyday but not for someone who lived the majority of her life as though she was so much better than everyone else. I can’t feel sorry for someone who isn’t happy because she can no longer live in the world of make believe with her wide stance husband. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 3/25/2019 at 2:56 PM, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

I adore Daria and love that episode.

Hide contents

tumblr_n8m1bx71gF1qamvsno1_1280.png.6b492b4612952f8455aae82b6e233120.png

tumblr_n8m1bx71gF1qamvsno2_1280.png.8324398977afd62019be1b8d96cd47de.png

That one in particular is so SOOOO Doug....

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

I can’t feel sorry for someone who isn’t happy because she can no longer live in the world of make believe with her wide stance husband. 

And I honestly believe that if she could go back to that life, she would do it in a heartbeat.   Never mind knowing what her husband has done and how much of a sham that life was.   I think she would go back to being the Queen Bee of VF living in utter denial rather than trying to build a more, IDK, more authentic life?   She seems to just be surviving, and cryptically pining for old days.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

And I honestly believe that if she could go back to that life, she would do it in a heartbeat. 

There's are variations on this quote, which has been attributed to many many people:  "I've been rich and I've been poor, and believe me, baby, rich is best."  But I do get your point.  They must all long for the VF days when they were in tall cotton and it seemed like it would never end.

My sense is that Beall is still strong in her faith and that's what is sustaining her.  She should be pissed that she's married to a lawyer who can't be bothered to practice law and support his wife and family.   Should the Tool get it together, he could practice show biz and entertainment law, where cosplay wouldn't be frowned on. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

And I honestly believe that if she could go back to that life, she would do it in a heartbeat.   Never mind knowing what her husband has done and how much of a sham that life was.   I think she would go back to being the Queen Bee of VF living in utter denial rather than trying to build a more, IDK, more authentic life?   She seems to just be surviving, and cryptically pining for old days.  

I just happened to look at The Big Bang Theory Valentine’s Day episode where lonely Raj makes a heartfelt speech to the other sad folks on their own in the comic book store.  Then a woman lets Raj know she’ll go out with him and he disdainfully shouts, “Later, losers!” at the others as he strides off with his date. 

I think Beall’s return to life as The First Lady Of Vision Forum might be like that. 

• Haha 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no response from DPIATAAD (and a deadbeat) to his AmEx citation. According to my google law degree, a default judgment in favor of the plaintiff may now be issued. However, it seems the wheels of justice turn very slowly in Bexar County and I doubt anything happens until AmEx follows up with the court. Who knows when that will be--I'm sure Dougie is just one smalltime debtor among many lawsuits at any given time.

Still, it's pretty audacious for him to continue gallivanting around the world when he evidently hasn't bothered to make even minimum payments for what I assume is a lengthy period of time. And I thought fundies hated debt. The borrower is slave to the lender, and all that.

dpiat.JPG

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

Heh, we don't know where Dougie "Mr. I'm the Poster Child for Peripatetic" Esquire is right now, do we?  

Dang, I still don't know why the fam ever moved to Durango. That's a continuing puzzle. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

OT: In my own case, the wheels of justice did quite fortunately move slowly in San Antonio, the county seat of Bexar County. In my divorce, I was told to cough up $37,000 in a QDRO to Ex-Mr.-Hane-#2. I was working for AT&T back then, and they’d transferred administration of such matters (such as my pension fund) from my local office to San Antonio. It took the ex a solid year to get his mitts on my monnehh, even though I complied with the judge’s instructions immediately. (And I was not a High/Powered Executive [TM], just a lowly cube dweller who stuck with a drab series of jobs long enough to get vested in a pension fund.)

Edited by Hane
Added info confirming that I am a law-abiding citizen.
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Note: This tweet doesn't actually refer to Doug Phillips (that I'm aware of, anyway) I just naturally thought of him when I read it :pb_lol:

Screenshot.png.4135e8147c03975dad7b106f04f74539.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic