IGNORED

So sorry, Ellie!

Granwych

@Piper, we had a Cocker-Lab cross once.  We found Abby and her sister in our backyard early one summer morning when out Lab started barking at the pups.  I don't know if someone saw them in the road and placed them in the yard or what, but we have a fenced yard.   We gave her sister away, but I would not let my husband take Abby to the pound.  We pretty much knew where the puppies came from but we were not about to give them back.  These fundie asshole neighbors of ours had gone on vacation and left the mama dog and her puppies outside in July.  

Abby was named after Abigail Adams and was a real sweetheart.  I'd take her with me on the runs to school.  I remember covering her ears when we were listening to Undaunted Courage on Radio Reader when the book talked about Native Americans eating dogs.  Abby was a real sweetheart who unfortunately loved to chase cars.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 11

@Piper can you post a pic if it is not too much to ask? Loved to see such a pup!

On 3/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, Granwych said:

So, apparently Ellie is gestating her first litter.  I had so fervently hoped  that the Maxwell Backyard Bad Breeders would never become a reality.  

In the meantime, Grampwych and I are anxiously waiting calls from the vet.  Our little Maltese was diagnosed as diabetic and is an inpatient until his blood glucose levels get stabilized.I

Hugs to everyone who gives their pets the love and care they deserve.

I love this guy so very much however I want to wake him up every time he starts to fall asleep. He does that to me so maybe he should know what it feels like?. I’m also thinking about begging for his food next time he is eating because once again  he should know how annoying he can be. 

1E09FAF3-DB4A-4CCB-A051-0BC28BDE07C0.jpeg

• Haha 9
  • Love 4

13 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I love this guy so very much

Ah! He looks like he could be siblings with the kitty I found a few months ago (no chip, no collar, put info on lost pet sites, and left info at shelters, but no one claimed him).

Spoiler

1082198507_Xander-Copy.thumb.jpg.51a8f27260b319fd47c994a71f9eb8dc.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Love 11

@nelliebelle1197

Here is a picture of our cocker/chihuahua. Such a wonderful dog.

@PennySycamore

Funny you mentioned your lab/cocker cross. We also rescued one, and had her until before her 15th Birthday. One of the most laid back dogs we have ever owned. She looked just like a black golden retriever, except she had very fluffy feet. 

IMG_0748.JPG

• Love 9

On 4/9/2019 at 5:21 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

A dauchsund/Pitbull mix. I’m in hysterics again, even looking for the photo to show you guys. 

A39A8060-DC9B-4EDB-B7AA-8F5F057B9CED.jpeg

oh my lord I cant breathe thats so funny hahaha. My aunt had a corgi x german shepherd. It looked almost full shepherd but had the shortest legs... hilarious stuff

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not sure I’d consider what the maxwells are trying to do “backyard breeding” - to me that term means anyone with a golden retriever finding someone else with a dog (possibly a Goldie) and breeding them to sell in classified ads without a vet being involved in the process until something goes wrong. Ellie has been properly health checked (hip, elbow, heart, eyes - these are individual certificates that cost money, not just taking the dog to the vet for a checkup) as has the sire, and any resulting puppies will be sold on a limited (non-breeding) ANKC register. There are other things that make them look like they don’t know what they’re doing - the “if you’re willing to pay, we trust you’ll be a good owner” crap - but really the main difference between them and most proper breeders is they’re not showing Ellie (I assume? There’s no other mention of her at dog shows or references to championship points). It’s hard to tell until they actually have a litter - e.g. will the puppies be sold vaccinated and microchipped, will they wait at least a year before breeding again? Who knows. But at this stage, I don’t think they’re doing anything especially detrimental to Ellie or going about the breeding in a particularly irresponsible way. It sounds like they’ve already got a good vet who knows their plans and will see them through the process.

They’re more intentional about breeding dogs than breeding people, at any rate.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:45 AM, J.O.Y.nomore said:

Ah! He looks like he could be siblings with the kitty I found a few months ago (no chip, no collar, put info on lost pet sites, and left info at shelters, but no one claimed him).

Hide contents

1082198507_Xander-Copy.thumb.jpg.51a8f27260b319fd47c994a71f9eb8dc.jpg

Aww he looks a bit like my rescue kitty ❤️

71C04F7C-62DB-4508-AFA7-30AACF447487.jpeg

• Love 8

16 minutes ago, Smee said:

They’re more intentional about breeding dogs than breeding people, at any rate.

Let’s hope Ellie doesn’t suffer from post natal depression - we all know Steve’s “cure” for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, Candydandy said:

I just peeked at the site and if you scroll down she is accepting deposits and is awaiting Ellies first litter. I dont get why she just assumes if youre buying their puppy youre a good dog person. Poor Ellie

That part really stood out. Someone having 2k to spend on a dog gives no indication as to whether they'll be a good owner or not. Is she being naive in saying this, or is it just, once the puppies are sold they're not my responsibility?

• Upvote 3

It's still not clear whether or Ellie's been in heat, or actually bred.  I think the Maxwells  really couldn't GAS about who buys a dog so long as that person's payment is good.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

• 1 month later...

On a whim, I decided to check the Kansas Goldens site.

It looks like puppies (potentially) are on the way. Screenshot below.

Given that the puppies are due in August, and that dog pregnancies are 63 days/9 weeks, I’m guessing that the sweet fellowship occurred very recently, within the last two weeks. 

Prices have increased, and now appear to be the same regardless of the sex as opposed to the females costing more. 

504D197F-5AA1-408F-960B-F454385CDF7E.thumb.png.d49b110a040d024a732c126bf76c30ce.png

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

Wait, does this even mean Ellie is pregnant? She says they still need do an ultrasound to confirm. They could be putting the cart before the horse again.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

That last line about not bothering with applications still bothers me immensely.  Because of course people with a lot of disposable income have nothing but good will.  (gag.)

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, catlady said:

That last line about not bothering with applications still bothers me immensely.  Because of course people with a lot of disposable income have nothing but good will.  (gag.)

Come on Sarah, how difficult is it to put your customers through an application process?  I know it isn't for lack of time.  Seems pretty irresponsible to me.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, meee said:

Wait, does this even mean Ellie is pregnant? She says they still need do an ultrasound to confirm. They could be putting the cart before the horse again.

She did stick in the caveat “if things go as expected”. I suppose she wants to sound as positive as possible. 

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, petrushka said:

Come on Sarah, how difficult is it to put your customers through an application process?  I know it isn't for lack of time.  Seems pretty irresponsible to me.

And Sarah, what if teh gheys want to adopt one of your puppies? Or someone with contrasting buttons?

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

And Sarah, what if teh gheys want to adopt one of your puppies? Or someone with contrasting buttons?

Right!  So you’re a terrible person if you show cleavage or love someone who doesn’t meet Sarah’s approval, but if you want to fork over $2k, she’ll gladly take your money no matter who you are or how you live. 

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 6

I quite literally spent the bulk of my day today driving a 10 month old golden retriever named Honey to her forever home today, after she was dumped at the pound. 

There is NO GOLDEN RETRIEVER SHORTAGE YOU DUMB ?^*#!

of all the things the Maxhellions have done, this makes me the maddest, because we rescue folks are out here breaking our hearts cleaning up these selfish idiots messes. 

Shameful. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 21

I wonder if the unwillingness to screen potential buyers comes from Steve-o's desire to shelter Sarah from everyone and everything.  He'd rather have her just hand the puppy over to anyone in exchange for a check than to have her interact with any other human.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 2

...and on the same vein, if anyone wants a golden, please message me. Coming out our ears here. You have to do an application but it is not IMO onerous, 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, frumperlicious said:

I quite literally spent the bulk of my day today driving a 10 month old golden retriever named Honey to her forever home today, after she was dumped at the pound. 

There is NO GOLDEN RETRIEVER SHORTAGE YOU DUMB ?^*#!

of all the things the Maxhellions have done, this makes me the maddest, because we rescue folks are out here breaking our hearts cleaning up these selfish idiots messes. 

Shameful. 

I love you.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I wonder if the unwillingness to screen potential buyers comes from Steve-o's desire to shelter Sarah from everyone and everything.  He'd rather have her just hand the puppy over to anyone in exchange for a check than to have her interact with any other human.

I can't decide if it's this or if Sarah is just afraid of people she doesn't know at this point. Either way Steve's doing.

• Upvote 8

Let me translate.

Ellie has been bred,

Finally. At least one of us has hope.   Dad wouldn't let me watch. 

Ellie is actually really sort of old to be having a first doggy pregnancy.  I should be a bit worried about my beloved pet.  But God will protect her. 

and we’ll be doing an ultrasound to confirm in July!

Once we find a vet.  And please Rufus it is not pyometra.  Not that I know what that is because I haven't researched.

If things go as expected, her litter will be due in August.

I will of course be consulting with Ellie's vet.  Once I find one.  And assuming the (perhaps phantom) litter is delivered with no complications.

Ellie’s pictured below at 8 weeks and her puppies will look very similar.

Have we not discussed this before, Sarah!  "English Cream" is not a breed.  Ellie's pups may arrive toffee colored.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  It is just that they are not super special.  Or AKC.

English Cream Puppies:
$2000 (plus Kansas sales tax, which is a state requirement)

"English Cream." Again, false advertising.

We have enough interest right now to cover the first picks of male and female.

Family members have dibs.  Two are already spoken for.

But, once the litter is born, and we know how many puppies and gender, we’ll be able to take more deposits.

Oh, don't be silly, Sarah.  You should have a pretty good idea after the supposed ultrasound how many phantom pups there are.

And you contradict yourself in the very next sentence.

Please contact me at this link if you’re interested in being put on the list to be notified. The deposit simply secures your puppy spot. The $300 deposit is non-refundable.

Send $300 now!  To reserve a phantom Ellie puppy.

The puppy comes with limited AKC registration.

You bet.  Because, again, "English Cream" is not recognised as a breed. by the AKC.  

Can Sarah make it even more clear.  "I am a backyard breeder.  And I don't understand AKC registration.  Or genetics."

The limited part simply means you won’t be able to breed your dog. 

Nope.  You can breed your dog as much as you want.  I cant force you to spay or neuter.  The pups won't be AKC eligible though.  Because I am a backyard breeder.

Poor Ellie.  I hope she gets good vet care, whatever is happening with her.  She will need it.

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I wonder if the unwillingness to screen potential buyers comes from Steve-o's desire to shelter Sarah from everyone and everything. 

Please, no.  It has to do with Steve's belief that Ellie's (possibly non-existent) pups are livestock.

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

11 hours ago, frumperlicious said:

...and on the same vein, if anyone wants a golden, please message me. Coming out our ears here. You have to do an application but it is not IMO onerous, 

I feel your pain. I was behind in reviewing adoption applications for rescue I work for and someone had applied for a kitten a couple weeks ago. When I followed up today she responded “oh, I bought one from a breeder he’s getting delivered next week.” 

• Sad 7

On 6/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, frumperlicious said:

Good luck!

We financially help a great Pyrenees and a husky rescue  because we 1)our pyr isn't other dog friendly and 2) we have perfect size yard for 2 large dogs (3 acres) . 

I helped rewrite our application because stupid game of thrones have created a huge want in big fluffy guardian breeds and people aren't doing the research of these breeds.  You have to work these breeds or they get destructive.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5