IGNORED

So sorry, Ellie!

Granwych

14 hours ago, Hane said:

I once read an article in a veterinary magazine in which a chihuahua was impregnated by her family’s Labrador retriever. Her owners hadn’t thought this would be possible, and were shocked when their vet told them the cause of her swollen belly.  To save her life, he spayed her, removing the single huge  Labrador fetus she was carrying.?

After I recounted my friend's story, I got curious and did some research. It looks like with these big/small breed mixes, it's actually preferable to have the female be the larger dog, since a smaller female could die during pregnancy or labor if carrying such large fetuses (or even during mating). So my friend's Maltese/husky story may very well be true.

And all dog breeds can create offspring together. So a Great Dane and chihuahua, if they somehow figured out the logistics of copulating, could potentially produce offspring.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

On 4/6/2019 at 10:09 PM, nausicaa said:

I shouldn't be laughing this hard at that image. 

I have a friend who once had a dog that was half Maltese and half Husky.  He swore up and down the father was the Maltese and the mother was the Husky. Many "it's not the size of the dog in the fight" jokes ensued...

Or as we would’ve said, “SOMEBODY put him UP to it!” ?

• Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Strangest mixed breed I ever saw was a German Shepherd and Dachshund mix.  The head was a full size, correctly colored shepherd head, and the body was completely dachshund, short legs, stumpy body, but had the shepherd coloring.  Dog looked like it was going to tip over forward when it walked.  

I knew a dog who was the daughter of a black Lab mother and a Dachshund father. (She was a sweet dog. We used to take care of her when her owner was on trips. She loved to hang out with our Weinmaraner.) She looked like an oversized Dachshund, but all black. We used to joke about whether her mom was asleep when the puppies were conceived. :pb_biggrin: 

I think I met a Dalmatian/Dachshund mix once, too. He looked like an oversized Dachshund with Dalmatian coloring. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Hane said:

I once read an article in a veterinary magazine in which a chihuahua was impregnated by her family’s Labrador retriever. Her owners hadn’t thought this would be possible, and were shocked when their vet told them the cause of her swollen belly.  To save her life, he spayed her, removing the single huge  Labrador fetus she was carrying.?

So your dog had an abortion.  Would that be approved in Maxhell if Ellie escaped and got knocked up by a Corgi instead of an Irish Cream Golden Retriever?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

When I worked in a vet clinic for a few years, I saw a few dog and cat surgeries where it turned out that the female who was being spayed was already pregnant. The procedure was to pause, call the owner, and then proceed as they directed. I think in all 3 or 4 of the cases I saw, the owners chose to continue the surgery and remove the fetuses.

I sometimes wondered what pro-lifers would think of it, but now I realize that most of them are just "pro human birth". Most/many of them don't seem to care about human life after the birth (pro gun, pro death penalty, anti help for families, especially single parent families). And I don't think that being pro human birth necessarily has anything to do with how a person treats pets. Some of them probably take good care of pets and others don't. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Strangest mixed breed I ever saw was a German Shepherd and Dachshund mix.  The head was a full size, correctly colored shepherd head, and the body was completely dachshund, short legs, stumpy body, but had the shepherd coloring.  Dog looked like it was going to tip over forward when it walked.  

When I was a kid in the ‘60s, there was a mutt like that who used to roam the neighborhood near my school. Back in those days, people were far more likely to let their dogs roam free than they do now.

• Upvote 2

A dauchsund/Pitbull mix. I’m in hysterics again, even looking for the photo to show you guys. 

A39A8060-DC9B-4EDB-B7AA-8F5F057B9CED.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

I’m honestly wondering how a small male manages to copulate with a larger female... dachshunds are tiny!

• I Agree 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I’m honestly wondering how a small male manages to copulate with a larger female... dachshunds are tiny!

Hence, my family and friends' speculation about the mother being asleep during the act! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

The heartwarming part of the dog I just showed you was that this dog is just such a riot that he went viral—and had thousands of people offer to adopt him. ♥️

• Love 10

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I had a friend who had a half great dane and half Jack Russell - the mom was the great dane...

Thank goodness!

ETA: The thing that bothers me most about that pitta dachsie, @ViolaSebastian is that the poor dog's ears have been cropped.  That was so unnecessary. 

If you ever see a dachshund with large patches of white, s/he is most likely a purebred with a piebald coat or, more unfortunately, a double-dapple if s/he is of the right proportions.  Both piebald and double dapples are considered non-standard, but they can be shown in conformation shows.   Double dapples which are the result of breeding two dapples together really should not exist as the dapple (or merle) gene is deleterious.  Some double dapples are born without eyes.  

We did have a dog in our neighborhood years ago who was half basset and some other kind of hound dog.  His name was Casper because he was white and lemon.  Casper followed everyone around the neighborhood and lived to be about 20.  Btw, his brother matched his coat, but was normal sized (not Bassety).

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I've been thinking about this thread way too much. Weird dog genetics (and how they got there) are far more interesting to me than human genetics. I hope these are mostly just overamorous doggie fellowships and nothing more bizarre.

• Upvote 3

On 4/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, nausicaa said:

I shouldn't be laughing this hard at that image. 

I have a friend who once had a dog that was half Maltese and half Husky.  He swore up and down the father was the Maltese and the mother was the Husky. Many "it's not the size of the dog in the fight" jokes ensued...

More than likely the Maltese was the father. The other way around is really dangerous for Mama pup.

• Upvote 4

Oh I forgot to show you guys my poor beloved late basset/corgi mix. Finnegan was proof that there are certain breeds that should not mix!

He broke his poor foot once and we had to take him to the same surgeon used by the local zoo. The doc claimed he had never seen such bone structure in a dog’s foot!

He was a real garbage hound and ate everything in sight. He died a couple years ago at 16.

4E012B44-7FF2-4F48-9EF5-08083E8988EC.jpeg

05E3D87C-C0B9-421E-9529-82A5B067FC01.jpeg

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Love 22

@nelliebelle1197 Did Finnegan have a corgi personality or a basset personality? I like the long stubbliness of both. He was so cute. It’s a lot in one doggie.  I think I am more of a basset gal in temperment.

• Upvote 2

@AliceInFundyland he has the smell, legs/paw and heft of a Bassett. He really smelled. Really. And he used to try to roll over but his belly was too thick. He was like a bug on his back. He had the insecurities of a corgi and a corgi tail and overall body structure. He weighed 60 and thought he weighed 6.

I miss him.

• Love 9

I am extremely allergic to dogs but I'm pretty sure I need one of these "husgis" (corgi/husky)

Spoiler

Screenshot_2019-04-08-21-11-06.thumb.png.c828cb627e5e71a057295be638283dd1.png

• Love 13

@PennySycamore The “herder” personality and needing to “do things” of corgis has made me realize they may not be ideally suited for a more laconic personality such as mine. They are so smart and fun. I knew someone who had them in the family.

Not so big on slobbering though. Or odiferousness. But I like mellow.

60 lbs? Wow.

I will end up in a shelter or rescue and interview pups. It’s the way to go. Having your heart set one way won’t work for me with dogs. Unless, maybe a greyhound.

I know a lot about various breeds. I have preferences...I think I want a younger buddy. I’m just going to go looking when time comes,

We’ve always interviewed all the critters in the litter or at the store. You know when you meet them.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I love the fact that the Queen has “dorgis”. Because it sounds like the word “doggy” in a ridiculously posh RP accent. 

Edited by mango_fandango
  • Haha 4

After looking to see how much the Maxwells want for the future puppies I googled to see what other people are selling them for. The answer is a lot less plus they come with AKC registration. Even if I was a fan of the Maxwells and I wanted one of their puppies I am not sure I could justify spending $1000 MORE on one of Ellie's puppies. 

While my area of knowledge is kittens I do know that the care of neonatal puppies and kittens is similar. It's a fair amount of work with a Mama around. However will they work puppy care into their schedules?

• Upvote 5

18 hours ago, Snarfblatt said:

After looking to see how much the Maxwells want for the future puppies I googled to see what other people are selling them for. The answer is a lot less plus they come with AKC registration. Even if I was a fan of the Maxwells and I wanted one of their puppies I am not sure I could justify spending $1000 MORE on one of Ellie's puppies. 

While my area of knowledge is kittens I do know that the care of neonatal puppies and kittens is similar. It's a fair amount of work with a Mama around. However will they work puppy care into their schedules?

But if you buy a puppy from non Maxhellion sources you never know what the poor puppy has been exposed to. It may have viewed The Beast. It may have eaten a burrito WITH MEAT and tasted the difference! It may not have been scheduled to pee at the appropriate times and live it’s life in 15 minute intervals. And it may be the product of blatant fornication instead of properly scheduled Steve sanctioned breeding. Would you risk a demon pup like that entering your home?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

We once rescued a cocker spaniel/chihuahua cross. He looked just like a tiny cocker spaniel, all seven pounds of him. He passed just before his 15th birthday  six years ago, and I still think of him all the time.

He was the sweetest dog.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 9