IGNORED

So sorry, Ellie!

Granwych

My guess is when the dogs attacked Sarah when she was walking Ellie she was in heat. I’m shocked they haven’t gotten her fixed.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

My guess is when the dogs attacked Sarah when she was walking Ellie she was in heat. I’m shocked they haven’t gotten her fixed.

Ohhh...they've got to be careful about that too. One ten-minute escape from Maxhell and Ellie would be birthing little mutts!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

That’s so weird.  How does a website get suspended like that?

It worked yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, Lisafer said:

Ohhh...they've got to be careful about that too. One ten-minute escape from Maxhell and Ellie would be birthing little mutts!

We had neighbors who planned to breed their Irish setter with another Irish setter.  Well she managed to escape and the neighborhood Bad Dog got to her before she met the Irish setter.  She had all black mutt pups and one pure bred Irish setter.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, OhNoNike said:

That’s so weird.  How does a website get suspended like that?

It worked yesterday. 

We had neighbors who planned to breed their Irish setter with another Irish setter.  Well she managed to escape and the neighborhood Bad Dog got to her before she met the Irish setter.  She had all black mutt pups and one pure bred Irish setter.  

That's how I got a wonderful dog 40 years ago.  Irish setter mama enjoyed sweet friendship with an Irish setter as planned, and had a one night stand with a German shepherd.  7 black pups and 4 red ones made their appearances.  I was given a black pup and doted on her so much.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

5 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Even if Ellie didn't escape, she could still be at risk. When I was very young (or maybe it's a family story from before I was born), my family had an unspayed female dog who was in heat. My parents put her in the garage when she wasn't outdoors. My dad went in the garage to get her, and there was a male dog in with her. They had no idea how the other dog got in, but when he saw my dad, he broke through a window to get out! Biological drives can be very strong.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

Ooh, that’s a possibility. 

They got Arnold fixed but not Ellie. Hmm...

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

They got Arnold fixed but not Ellie. Hmm...

Poor Arnold no sweet fellowship for him.

• Upvote 4

Is it possible that the vet told Sarah early on that she should have Ellie spayed because it would be better for her health, and Sarah didn't know that meant Ellie would never go into heat or get pregnant? I only consider that level of naivete where reproduction is concerned because a question I posted once was deleted. It was whether the Nathans had a rooster or if they had gotten fertilized eggs from somewhere for their hens to hatch. Apparently that was too much sexy information for the Max spinsters.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 14

@Black Aliss, I don’t think so. Remember, these kids know all about their father’s vasectomy and its reversal.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hane said:

@Black Aliss, I don’t think so. Remember, these kids know all about their father’s vasectomy and its reversal.

Very true. Also, even if Sarah didn't understand what spaying was, Steve would have. And Ellie wouldn't have been getting any procedure not approved by Steve.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

On 3/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, mango_fandango said:

They got Arnold fixed but not Ellie. Hm

I hope that Ellie's okay.  Could she have been injured while being bred?  (Of course, we have no idea whether or not she was actually bred)

When Grampwych and I picked up our dog from the vet, a young couple was sitting a few feet away.  The woman had a small flannel-wrapped bundle on her lap and was crying very softly.  Their dog had gone into labor at home but a puppy got stuck.  They brought the mama right in but the puppy had died.  Hope the vet was able to save both mama and any remaining pups.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 9

On 3/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, SPHASH said:

Poor Arnold no sweet fellowship for him.

Tomcats that are going to be housecoats pretty much HAVE to be neutered,  If you don't neuter them, they spray all over the house.  There's no funk quite like un-neutered tomcat pee!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

There's no funk quite like un-neutered tomcat pee!

And almost impossible to truly get rid of the smell.  I HATE that smell. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

I am innocent in the ways of variant dog coats, but with nothing more than a privately operated website to promote the eventual Ellie-spawn, how on earth is Sarah going to find buyers? Are there that many people crawling the walls to buy a dog from a completely inexperienced SAHD in Kansas that they'd just happen upon her site? Particularly since the variant is unrecognized from a standard Golden by the AKC? 

I recognize the need to responsibly cultivate some traits that are breed-specific for occupational and therapeutic reasons. But I'm not a big fan of "designer dogs" in general, and I certainly don't feel sympathetic towards someone like Sarah inexpertly treating her pet like slot machine to generate income. I assume that this is merely the first of many attempts to exploit this animal going forward, and to make it worse, I sincerely doubt that either Ellie or Sarah will directly benefit from any of the income generated.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

All this unplanned dog pregnancies got me thinking of our neighbours. They had a thoroughbred mare in a paddock next to a Shetland stallion. He got into her paddock and climbed on top of the manure pile. The mare backed up to him and eleven months later a foal was born. She made a nice hunter for a little girl. 

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Markie said:

All this unplanned dog pregnancies got me thinking of our neighbours. They had a thoroughbred mare in a paddock next to a Shetland stallion. He got into her paddock and climbed on top of the manure pile. The mare backed up to him and eleven months later a foal was born. She made a nice hunter for a little girl. 

I shouldn't be laughing this hard at that image. 

I have a friend who once had a dog that was half Maltese and half Husky.  He swore up and down the father was the Maltese and the mother was the Husky. Many "it's not the size of the dog in the fight" jokes ensued...

• Haha 9

9 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I shouldn't be laughing this hard at that image. 

I have a friend who once had a dog that was half Maltese and half Husky.  He swore up and down the father was the Maltese and the mother was the Husky. Many "it's not the size of the dog in the fight" jokes ensued...

I had to Google that to see what might happen. Lots of potential genetic outcomes. Lots of cute.

• Upvote 3

I once read an article in a veterinary magazine in which a chihuahua was impregnated by her family’s Labrador retriever. Her owners hadn’t thought this would be possible, and were shocked when their vet told them the cause of her swollen belly.  To save her life, he spayed her, removing the single huge  Labrador fetus she was carrying.?

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 6

I didn’t get the horse story at first. Then I reread and remembered how big Shetlands are... 

And omg about the chihuahua/Labrador story.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, Granwych said:

That's how I got a wonderful dog 40 years ago.  Irish setter mama enjoyed sweet friendship with an Irish setter as planned, and had a one night stand with a German shepherd.  7 black pups and 4 red ones made their appearances.  I was given a black pup and doted on her so much.

On the old Animal Planet series Too Cute, one episode featured a Siberian cat(who was mostly white)with a litter of black kittens, “just like the handsome Tom next door...oops.” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Strangest mixed breed I ever saw was a German Shepherd and Dachshund mix.  The head was a full size, correctly colored shepherd head, and the body was completely dachshund, short legs, stumpy body, but had the shepherd coloring.  Dog looked like it was going to tip over forward when it walked.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1

I once had a coworker with a German Shepherd/Chihuahua mix.

• Upvote 2

On 4/6/2019 at 11:21 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

I had to Google that to see what might happen. Lots of potential genetic outcomes. Lots of cute.

I had a friend who had a half great dane and half Jack Russell - the mom was the great dane...

• Haha 3
  • Love 2