• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Meh
Dandruff
1 hour ago, catlady said:

I hate to say Angie’s doing it better, but Angie’s doing it better. They have the same hairstyle, but Angie’s hair is neither bleached nor teased nor Aqua-Netted.   Angie’s eyeliner is lighter and softer.  And Angie’s lip color is a prettier shade.

I'll guess that Angie spends less on hair and makeup than Jill does and feeds her kids properly.

Mayluka
4 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

One child looks healthy, the other one looks starved.  What is wrong with that stupid woman?  

Jesus needs to intervene ........Oh wait!

Hide contents

E9DB763F-2498-414C-B4C2-5671AF144E64.thumb.jpeg.e2ac64a6eea40e5ab318cc5f6f27cef2.jpeg

Does anyone know which of Angie’s kids this is? Looking it up I see that Azalea was born 2015 (age 4) and Amity was born 2017 (age 2). If this is Amity, who is almost 2 years younger than Sofia (turning 4 in July), then this size comparison is pretty concerning.

DarkAnts
2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Once I went to the Zaxby's near me and they were out of chicken. No idea why they were still open, TBH.

It's pretty sad that they travel so much and so far, but see so little that matters. They could travel less and actually SEE things. Museums, not stores. Not just peeking in the windows. 

They are traveling for food not education. 

HarryPotterFan
Posted (edited)

According to USPS, my copy of Moses the Kitten will be here by 8 PM. It is know 7:37.  USPS, you have 23 minutes.

Edited by HarryPotterFan
Correcting UPS to USPS
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 24
  • Love 4

Happy
BlackberryGirl

@PreciousPantsofDoom I loved Allison Uttley. I adored any kind of time travel books. There was an author, I think his last name was Welch, who had kids going back to the Wars of the Roses or various medievial eras. I loved that stuff. 

justmic

I'm still kind of wondering how the whole incident with the woman and David happened. Do they just descend on a random neighborhood and start bothering people? I'm trying to imagine the RV rolling up to a neighborhood and David and Jill get out followed by 13 hungry kids. Then David starts to tell people what's wrong with their lives? Strange.

HarryPotterFan
2 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:

@PreciousPantsofDoom I loved Allison Uttley. I adored any kind of time travel books. There was an author, I think his last name was Welch, who had kids going back to the Wars of the Roses or various medievial eras. I loved that stuff. 

I want a time travel story where someone freaks out about lack of WiFi and missing the last season of GOT. And refusing to shit in a bucket. The real reactions one would have to going back to Medieval Times.

The Wars of the Roses is a fascinating time period. My mom has drawn a lot of parallels between that and GOT. So that informs all her theories. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

Georgiana
49 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

Does anyone know which of Angie’s kids this is? Looking it up I see that Azalea was born 2015 (age 4) and Amity was born 2017 (age 2). If this is Amity, who is almost 2 years younger than Sofia (turning 4 in July), then this size comparison is pretty concerning.

I think this is Amity.  Azalea is pictured with Sadie, I believe, in the next picture in the set.  In addition, sucking your thumb under a blanket is behavior that is age appropriate and common for 2 year olds, but something you would be somewhat surprised to see in a 4 year old of an involved mother like Angie seems to be.  I don't know when it is common to start fighting thumb sucking across the board (3 seems to be the recommendation, though the doctors I know recommend starting younger), but where I'm from, it's rare enough to comment on to see a child of Azalea/Sofia's age still thumb sucking.  That being said, I'm not surprised Sofia still sucks.  She likely needs coping mechanisms to get by in her chaotic little life, and no one in that house has the time to spend focusing on her break her of the habit anyway.  

Georgiana
10 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

The Wars of the Roses is a fascinating time period. My mom has drawn a lot of parallels between that and GOT. So that informs all her theories. 

Martin has said that GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire is actually based on the events of the War of the Roses!  This is one of the reasons I'm mad they took out Aegon for the show.  Ummmm....claimant who has to live abroad and returns to the kingdom supported by Dorne/Wales...NOW who is supposed to win?!?  Besides, you CLEARLY needed a 3rd (male) Targaryen: not only does the dragon have 3 heads, but SOMEONE has to be able to pass on the Targaryen name AND marry a non-Targaryen to unite the claims and end this conflict (since Dany is supposed to be no longer able to have human children after hatching her dragons, but I think we're just forgetting that ever happened for the show).  

At this point, I'm rooting for the Night King.  Maybe he's the secret 3rd Targaryen I'm looking for.  He does have a dragon...

JermajestyDuggar
37 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

I think this is Amity.  Azalea is pictured with Sadie, I believe, in the next picture in the set.  In addition, sucking your thumb under a blanket is behavior that is age appropriate and common for 2 year olds, but something you would be somewhat surprised to see in a 4 year old of an involved mother like Angie seems to be.  I don't know when it is common to start fighting thumb sucking across the board (3 seems to be the recommendation, though the doctors I know recommend starting younger), but where I'm from, it's rare enough to comment on to see a child of Azalea/Sofia's age still thumb sucking.  That being said, I'm not surprised Sofia still sucks.  She likely needs coping mechanisms to get by in her chaotic little life, and no one in that house has the time to spend focusing on her break her of the habit anyway.  

I have a friend that sucked her thumb all through our school years. Yes, she sucked her thumb in high school (mostly secretly due to people teasing her). One of my closest friends sucked her fingers until we were about 12 and then she got braces and major head gear 😕

Wine time!
VanillaBean

I had a deal with my mom starting around age 4 that I could suck my thumb in my room--basically for bed and naps.  (Same rules for hands in my pants, now that I think of it!) I remember a couple times sneaking a quick suck in first grade,  but would have been mortified if anyone had seen me.  My mom's attitude was basically,  she'll stop, no one goes to college a thumb sucker. And she was right,  I was done by the end of first grade. 

HarryPotterFan
Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Martin has said that GoT/A Song of Ice and Fire is actually based on the events of the War of the Roses!  This is one of the reasons I'm mad they took out Aegon for the show.  Ummmm....claimant who has to live abroad and returns to the kingdom supported by Dorne/Wales...NOW who is supposed to win?!?  Besides, you CLEARLY needed a 3rd (male) Targaryen: not only does the dragon have 3 heads, but SOMEONE has to be able to pass on the Targaryen name AND marry a non-Targaryen to unite the claims and end this conflict (since Dany is supposed to be no longer able to have human children after hatching her dragons, but I think we're just forgetting that ever happened for the show).  

At this point, I'm rooting for the Night King.  Maybe he's the secret 3rd Targaryen I'm looking for.  He does have a dragon...

Aegon’s half-brother, Aegon can win? I don’t know. I get confused. :pb_lol:

And since Viserys is dead who would be the other Targaryen?

Also I just figured Fire mama would make babies with Snow man. Ice and fire and all that. 

And good point, the Night King could be a Targaryen. The ice and fire mix no one thought would rule.

Edited by HarryPotterFan
Struggling with quoting tonight

Granwych
5 hours ago, JesusPony said:

Aw. It's a fake shirt front for when you want it to look like you're wearing a shirt, but you're not wearing a shirt. For some reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_(garment)

Off topic a bit, but years ago my father was looking to buy a few.  He asked a salesclerk if she had any dickies.  The clerk, a teenage girl, started giggling so much that Dad blushed beet red and left the store. 

Happy
BlackberryGirl

Dickies. I own a few. Wearing 2 shirts is too bulky.

If you like the look of layers, but your own flesh counts as 2 layers, a dickie solves the problem.

Spent
ViolaSebastian
Posted (edited)

Can we just take a moment to acknowledge that Amity is one of the most unlikely fundie baby names I've heard?

ETA: A dickey story. My cousin is a handyman and as such, owns quite a few pairs of Dickies pants. When he first started dating his wife, they had a huge confusing conversation in which she was trying to figure out why he went to the store to buy some new fake shirt necks. She had no idea there were work clothes by the name of Dickies. They still laugh about that years later. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian

Happy
PennySycamore

@PreciousPantsofDoom,  I didn't read it, but my husband read My Father's Dragon as a child.  He introduced it to our girls.  

Ozlsn
7 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I want a time travel story where someone freaks out about lack of WiFi 

I went to a primary school open day on the weekend which had the kids' "catastrophe lists" displayed. Basically it's a way of helping the kids work out what is actually a Big Deal and worth getting upset about, and what isn't. Obviously they get a bit more nuanced with age, with older kids nominating deaths in the family and civil war high up the list (and missing the bus at, say 3 or 4.) 

And then you have the grade 4 or 5 kid who had "no wifi" at #8, right under "death of parents" and "school burns down". Hm...

Lurky
Posted (edited)

If you (like me) like time travel stories, read Kindred by Octavia Butler.  It made me completely re-assess the genre, and made me shocked I hadn't read her before.  She should be up there with the greats of speculative fiction, but it was hard enough for women to be recognised as SFF writers, let alone Black women.  I know things are changing a little bit now, with NK Jemisin winning her Hugos, but there's such a long way to go, still.

Anyway, read Kindred!  It's an adult book, but it's made me think of all those timeslip stories I've read in very different ways.  Or for a TL;DR, there's the wiki summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindred_(novel)

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 2

courtlylove

I spent the first part of my childhood in England and as well as so many of the other children's books mentioned here (I was an early and avid reader) one of my favourite authors was Cynthia Harnett. She wrote a series of six meticulously researched historical novels for children, and illustrated five of them.  The were titled differently in the US than in the UK - 

The Great House (1949) —set in London and the countryside in the 17th century

The Wool-Pack (1951) —set in the Cotswolds in 1493

Ring Out Bow Bells! (1953) —set in London in 1415

Stars of Fortune (1956) —set in 1554

The Load of Unicorn (1959) —set in London in 1482

The Writing on the Hearth (1971), illus. Gareth Floyd —set in the 1430s

In the U.S. these six books were first published as The Great House (1968), Nicholas and the Wool-Pack (1953), The Drawbridge Gate (1953), Stars of Fortune (1956), Caxton's Challenge (1960), and The Writing on the Hearth (1973). At least three were re-titled again in the 1980s.

nomoxian

That sparkley heart emoji seems to be popular among Fundies.

There's this woman, Susan Schofield, who uses it a lot too. She isn't your traditional fundie (married to an atheist and kids go to public school, or at least did until CPS took them away) but she goes to a Megachurch and talks about Jeebus a lot.

2 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I went to a primary school open day on the weekend which had the kids' "catastrophe lists" displayed. Basically it's a way of helping the kids work out what is actually a Big Deal and worth getting upset about, and what isn't. Obviously they get a bit more nuanced with age, with older kids nominating deaths in the family and civil war high up the list (and missing the bus at, say 3 or 4.) 

And then you have the grade 4 or 5 kid who had "no wifi" at #8, right under "death of parents" and "school burns down". Hm...

As a kid the school burning down would be a Big Deal, but in a positive way because it would mean not having to go to school!

The "No Wifi" kid needs to have their priorities in check. No electricity is a bigger deal, followed by router problems. No wifi just means you need to use a cord.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

danvillebelle
15 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

We have a Cheddar's near my workplace. When they first opened the food wasn't too bad, but the last time I went there for lunch (On a co-worker so I didn't care), it was kind of gross. I will not be back. 

We have a Cheddar's here.  My husband and I ate there one time, many years ago.  ONE TIME.  It was gross, bland, obviously frozen-and-reheated food.  

It has been closed TWICE by the health department in the 10 years we've lived here.  It always opens back up and the parking lot is always full.  Never underestimate Americans' ability to pursue quantity over quality. 

Meanwhile, the ONE totally awesome Indian restaurant we had closed.  

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 6
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

picklepizzas
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Interesting that you had “aegon” pegged for that role, I always assumed Dany was the Henry Tudor stand-in. If aegon is fulfilling any role from the war of the roses I would go with the perkin warbeck story: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck. Pretender to the throne, pretending to be one of the lost princes from the tower.  (You can obviously see where I stand on the veracity of his claim to be aegon haha). 

Edited by picklepizzas

MayMay1123
16 hours ago, SassyPantswithASideofClass said:

I did that at one time and I looked like a strung out raccoon going through a crisis.

perfect description of jill 🐺

Closed Womb
2 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

We have a Cheddar's here.  My husband and I ate there one time, many years ago.  ONE TIME.  It was gross, bland, obviously frozen-and-reheated food.  

It has been closed TWICE by the health department in the 10 years we've lived here.  It always opens back up and the parking lot is always full.  Never underestimate Americans' ability to pursue quantity over quality. 

Meanwhile, the ONE totally awesome Indian restaurant we had closed.  

I like Cheddars just fine.  There's one near me.  I also like the few Indian restaurants near me.