• Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Georgiana

Did you know...?

Often times the Rodrigues family do things that many would consider very rude or inconsiderate of others.  But that's not the problem.  That's not even A problem.  That's GOOD actually because of....reasons.

But sometimes, and I shudder to tell you this for it truly is horrible, sometimes people are rude TO THE RODS when the Rods are being rude or inconsiderate to them.  And that's just terrible.  A real tragedy.  How could anyone DO such a thing?

Spoiler

1668344788_giphy(2).gif.52ca95af79076be994bb8949ce03e19b.gif

Continued from:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

EmmieJ

Ha ha - I was writing this post when one thread was closed and this one opened.  I couldn't carry over the quote, but it was about David being told off by a homeowner for ignoring a "no solicitation" sign.

Years ago, I lived in a neighborhood that had "no soliciting" signs posted at the entrance, but we'd still get the occasional door-to-door salesperson or religious person.  If that happened, I'd sometimes point out that there was no soliciting, and tell them I was not interested.  No one was ever rude or pushy about it - most simply thanked me for my time and moved on to the next home.

David is an ass, married to an ass.  He certainly isn't winning hearts and minds over to God.  But I'm glad to hear he's out walking a bit, as it looks like that would be good for his health.  I'm a bit sorry that the woman didn't call the police and that David didn't stick around to "talk to them".  That would have been quite amusing to me.

Jill often complains that her fellow Christians are rude.  They "speak their minds."  I wonder if her fellow Christians are asking why David doesn't work at a paying job to support his large family, or why she and David think it's okay to just travel around the country begging for money instead? 

• Upvote 39
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 7

Mischievous
nelliebelle1197

Back to the last thread, I looked up Cheddar's, the place where Jill and David went on yet another date. Cheap, high calorie food, one step above a Zaxby's. They probably spent $40-50 max - which is enough to call Domino's or Pizza Hut and feed the whole crew.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

Meh
Dandruff

When I saw the picture of the kids pointing up to the trapped trophies, my first thought was that they're all trapped trophies. :pb_sad:

• Upvote 19
  • Sad 12
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

waltraute
41 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Jill often complains that her fellow Christians are rude.  They "speak their minds." 

The only mind one should speak is Jill's. Oh, and maybe God's.  But Jill speaks for God so it's one and the same. So, Jill - just speak Jill. Or better yet, listen when Jill speaks and nod your head in agreement and maybe squeal with delight.  That is all.

quiversR4hunting
43 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Back to the last thread, I looked up Cheddar's, the place where Jill and David went on yet another date. Cheap, high calorie food, one step above a Zaxby's. They probably spent $40-50 max - which is enough to call Domino's or Pizza Hut and feed the whole crew.

yum Zaxby's! I hope one comes to my area. My family ate at one on the way to Florida a year ago. :animals-chickencatch:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

MiQ

I think the eyeliner is spreading over to the sister. Contagious?

20190318_201458.jpg

harkasquirrel

Jill's eyeliner was everything I wanted back when I was going through my emo phase in high school...now I look at stuff like that and think "WHY".

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

quiversR4hunting

quote from @Gimme a Free RV from on the last thread

Next thing you know, she'll be looking at non-KJV toddler Bible story books.

Oh man, she could start reading her kids P.K. Hallinan :shocked: I had to dig and dig to figure out he is a preacher but i can't figure out where or what domination. And he went to Foothill College (not Christian).

Think of the problems the Rod kids will have if they read books with names like "A rainbow of friends" "Let's Be Thankful" "Let's Be Kind" Let's Be Honest" Let's Be Friends" "Let's Be Patient" "Let's Learn All We Can" and "Just Open a Book" 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

DangerNoodle
13 minutes ago, MiQ said:

I'm curious as to why eyeliner is synonymous with feminine. This is bordering on OCD. And it looks like crap.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5

Pecansforeveryone
Posted (edited)

I thought heavy eye-liner (kohl-rimmed eyes) was synomous with Queen Jezebel. Was that the biblical inspiration you were going for Jill? 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Spelling

Don'tlikekoolaid

One child looks healthy, the other one looks starved.  What is wrong with that stupid woman?  

Jesus needs to intervene ........Oh wait!

Spoiler

E9DB763F-2498-414C-B4C2-5671AF144E64.thumb.jpeg.e2ac64a6eea40e5ab318cc5f6f27cef2.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 8
  • I Agree 6

MiQ
1 hour ago, harkasquirrel said:

Jill's eyeliner was everything I wanted back when I was going through my emo phase in high school...now I look at stuff like that and think "WHY".

That's how my smoky eye would look. And also why I don't wear eye makeup. I'm challenged in that department. 

PreciousPantsofDoom

Have been resisting the urge to comment on the childrens' book-fest because I will always forget to mention something and then it never ends, plus I tend to go long on this topic.  Nevermind, going to chime in anyway.  

I was a slow starter to reading, but once I started I read anything and everything at all times, particularly when I was supposed to be doing something else.  When I ran out of material I resorted to things like the Atlas or sitting in the closet where my parent's kept their back issues of the British Medical Journal.  The BMJ was way over my head, but they had a feature where they published a gory picture of some poor unfortunate with a disfiguring illness.  There would be a brief description of symptoms and the reader was supposed to choose the correct diagnosis.  Zero chance of me getting it right, but the answers were in the next issue. 

I loved my Gr 1/2/3 teacher who read aloud My Father's Dragon and its sequels.  Hated my Gr 6 teacher, but I did enjoy him reading I Am David (about a boy who escapes from a concentration camp.)  I also have lovely memories of my sister and I snuggling up with my Grandmother in bed  the mornings while she read The Fur Person to us. I remember her reading Milly Molly Mandy to us too. Read alouds are the best.

I'm glad somebody mentioned Eloise.  My mum picked up a copy at a garage sale when we were little and I loooooved that thing.  This was before it was very well known (decades before the movie version.)  I went to New York for the first time last spring and my husband knew the Plaza was going to be on the list of must-sees. (Actually, I remember him humouring me on our honeymoon by going looking for the Make Way for Ducklings statue in Boston, so he is used to this kind of literary pilgrimage)  I found myself getting a little teary to see the Palm court and the portrait of Eloise.  Even the Eloise store there moved me somehow.  To think that this book I loved so much was loved by enough other people that she warranted a store.  

I also loved this really trippy series of learn to read books my mum picked up somewhere.  The series was based on a claymation series on British TV called Its Fun to Read.  The characters are Bill and Penelope and their dog.  Its set in a playground where Bill has built this magic box.  Basically Bill fucks around with stuff on top of the box which causes things to disappear or whatever.  Why?  No idea, but I was fascinated.  Jill would freak because it is sort of Occult for preschoolers.

I had quite a lot of things like that as a kid that my mum or my grandmother would pick up in the UK and I would read and love here in Canada.  I still have my Harold Hare and Dicky Doormouse annuals( which actually date to before I was born), as well as Rupert and of course, Mandy for Girls.  the Wombles books were big in our house, as were any Magic Roundabout tie-in books, despite the fact that we had never actually seen the British programs that made them popular there.  When we were in the UK to visit we would snap up any of those little comics for kids we could find (Bunty, Judy, Mandy, even good old Beano)  It drove me crazy that we were never there long enough to read the end to any of the serial stories (Whatever did happen to the Four Marys, and how did the story about the two girls who were allergic to the sun turn out????)   

I went through phases reading various of the series already listed.  Has anybody mentioned Encyclopedia Brown yet? Those were fun.  There was also a lengthy horsey book phase.  It started with the Billy and Blaze books by CW Andersen, then kept going for years.  King of the Wind was probably the best, as well as Black Beauty, but I read the shit out of the Black Stallion series and Christine Pullein Thompson's series and Monica Dickens Follyfoot series. 

I read and loved plenty of Enid Blyton's books, but she is problematic these days.  Her writing is full of all kinds of  racist tropes that went right over my head at the time.  I have reread a few and find that some are just not redeemable, but others are still readable.  I loved her Famous Five mysteries (but hated the Secret Seven for some reason,) the Adventure series, and her boarding school stories (Mallory Towers and St. Clares,) as well as the Magic Faraway Tree.  Fucking Enid, why did she have to be such a racist!

I haven't seen anyone mention Swallows and Amazons yet, or any of Rosemary Sutcliffe's historical fiction.  I also loved Allison Uttley's Traveler in Time, not to mention her Little Grey Rabbit books for the younger set.  Oh, and the Flambards novels.  

As I Canadian, I may get my passport revoked for this, but I never could stand Anne of Green Gables. I know lots of people love her, but NO.   Also I thought SRA sucked.  I did not want to read a bunch of boring little stories and answer idiotic question about them.  Just like I didn't want to be assigned to read the maximum number of book report books in Gr 5.  The reading was great, but I had no interest in producing a book report later.  Especially when I was going to have to get through way more of them than the slooow readers in the class. 

For the person who mentioned E. Nesbitt, were you aware that Kate Saunders wrote a follow up to Five Children and It?  It came out a couple of years ago.  Was called Five Children and the Western Front. I can recommend it, although it is a bit sad.

Whoever it was that mentioned Maisie Dobbs, I've been getting into cozy mysteries over the last couple of years too.  Try Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple series.  Or Frances Brody's Kate Shackelton series.  Both of these are set in the 1920's   Which reminds me that I also loved Agatha Christie mysteries as a child, even though they were not children's books!

That is already too much for one post.  Now to resist the urge to add more when something comes to mind.  Dammit Jill, if you could just do something not so predictable to distract me, that would help!

IrishCarrie

OK, I've always worked off the premise that there's no such thing as a stupid question, so I'm going to ask:

That comment about Ma Noyes turtleneck being a Dickie...is that something to do with a dick? 😲😲 

(I tried google but it keeps talking about men's work pants, which doesn't seem like it could be relevant...)

:confused2:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

libgirl2
2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

We have a Cheddar's near my workplace. When they first opened the food wasn't too bad, but the last time I went there for lunch (On a co-worker so I didn't care), it was kind of gross. I will not be back. 

Waffle Time
catlady
1 hour ago, MiQ said:

20190318_201458.jpg

I hate to say Angie’s doing it better, but Angie’s doing it better. They have the same hairstyle, but Angie’s hair is neither bleached nor teased nor Aqua-Netted.   Angie’s eyeliner is lighter and softer.  And Angie’s lip color is a prettier shade.  

Apologies for stepping into BEC territory, but seeing them side by side with such a strong physical resemblance, the differences in their grooming are rather noticeable. 

Bad Wolf

@PreciousPantsofDoom I mentioned Arthur Ransome a few pages back. Loved those books. Enid Blyton was not only racist, but far too class conscious. I,too, liked the Famous Five, but hated the Secret Seven. The Adventure books were great. I got to the point where I enjoyed the stories, but could read them too quickly. That's when I moved on to other things.

JesusPony
26 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

OK, I've always worked off the premise that there's no such thing as a stupid question, so I'm going to ask:

That comment about Ma Noyes turtleneck being a Dickie...is that something to do with a dick? 😲😲 

(I tried google but it keeps talking about men's work pants, which doesn't seem like it could be relevant...)

Aw. It's a fake shirt front for when you want it to look like you're wearing a shirt, but you're not wearing a shirt. For some reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickey_(garment)

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 9

Tired
SassyPantswithASideofClass
2 hours ago, harkasquirrel said:

lol so true! I did that at one time and I looked like a strung out raccoon going through a crisis. I do eyeliner but very lightly on my top lid.

PreciousPantsofDoom
6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

@PreciousPantsofDoom I mentioned Arthur Ransome a few pages back. Loved those books. Enid Blyton was not only racist, but far too class conscious. I,too, liked the Famous Five, but hated the Secret Seven. The Adventure books were great. I got to the point where I enjoyed the stories, but could read them too quickly. That's when I moved on to other things.

Must have missed your Arthur Ransome shout out, whoops!  Yeah, Enid must have been a real piece if work. And how did I miss that the first time around? 

Getting through books too quickly was definitely an impetus to move on for lots of books. Also, that point where formulaic plots got too repetetive was another reason to look for better things.  I don't mind reading something light and predictable once in a while (hence my enjoyment of the cozy mystery) as long as it is reasonably well written.  Even children can tell the difference, which is why certain books become and remain favorites and others do not. 

MiQ
31 minutes ago, IrishCarrie said:

I think part of what makes it funny is that dickie makes you think about Dicks. Or you just have a very dirty imagination ( which means I have too).

JesusPony

The makeup situation is spiraling out of control. Teen girls looking like 40-year-old country singers from the 1970s. Jill must be stopped. 

And I see Nurie and Kaylee are going to KJV on MP3 in an RV "college" now. 🙄

On the plus side, Jill's memes are freakin hilarious. The naked red Satan in court, "I believe in the wall"... Jill must be that on that good Plexus. Girl is tripping. 😂

Alisamer
2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

yum Zaxby's! I hope one comes to my area. My family ate at one on the way to Florida a year ago. :animals-chickencatch:

Once I went to the Zaxby's near me and they were out of chicken. No idea why they were still open, TBH.

It's pretty sad that they travel so much and so far, but see so little that matters. They could travel less and actually SEE things. Museums, not stores. Not just peeking in the windows. 

Walking Cat Bed
2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

One child looks healthy, the other one looks starved.  What is wrong with that stupid woman?  

Jesus needs to intervene ........Oh wait!

Hide contents

E9DB763F-2498-414C-B4C2-5671AF144E64.thumb.jpeg.e2ac64a6eea40e5ab318cc5f6f27cef2.jpeg

Perfect example of why the "naturally skinny" concept doesn't seem to apply to the Rod kids. Their similar-aged cousins look like thin kids, but the Rod kids look scrawny.