IGNORED

OK/White Power/9/circle game/Taryn's 666 sign

thoughtful

Just chiming in to say that the "ok gesture" can mean "you're being an asshole" in some countries. It was one of my anthropology professor's favorite examples when talking about symbols and how they can change depending on culture. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• 10 months later...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2019/5/8/18621714/cubs-finish-investigation-of-racist-hand-gesture-on-tv-ban-fan-from-wrigley

@Marmion, thanks for finding this.

That definitely looks like a racist use of the sign. It's down, not up like an OK sign, right next to a black man's head while he's doing a TV broadcast, and nobody would be playing the Circle Game standing there.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

A couple of years ago I noticed one of my sons doing this in some photos and I asked him why - he said it was a game to make people look at you and comment on it. So he ‘won’ against me because I noticed and commented on it (teenagers ?)

Shortly after I heard that it could be considered racist and told him - his response was ‘well I guess that game’s over now!’

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread, thank you @Destiny for pointing out the scuba diving signal. It was something I struggled with when I did scuba on holiday because to me the thumb up is the universal gesture for all is good.

I think the TLDR here might be that the white power dickhats have stolen this for themselves.

I've never heard of the circle game, here we play punch buggy or yellow car.

• Upvote 1

I used to love playing Punch Bug!  As a kid in the 70’s, when the classic Bug was still sold in the US, I hoped that Mom would drive by a VW dealership on my side of the car so I would win by default. :pb_lol:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, smittykins said:

I used to love playing Punch Bug!  As a kid in the 70’s, when the classic Bug was still sold in the US, I hoped that Mom would drive by a VW dealership on my side of the car so I would win by default. :pb_lol:

I was a kid in the 90s and also played this game :D

• Upvote 1