IGNORED

Mosque shooting, Christchurch NZ

nvmbr02

My heart is absolutely broken for the people of New Zealand. I'm sending lots of U.S. hugs, and wearing my CoNZealand (WorldCon 2020) shirt in your honor. No one, not even Steve Anderson, should ever have their place of worship desecrated by pond scum like this. 

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 9

I am thankful that my own family and friends in Christchurch are safe; and heartbroken that there are way too many who cannot say the same.   I am grieving for the senseless loss of life.  I am struggling for words because they are all insufficient.

Kia Kaha

• Upvote 4
  • Love 13

Horrific. Apparently this guy posted on 8chan he was going to do it and was mostly cheered on by a group of horrible on-line people while it was happening. From what I can gather he was basically a professional online troll. He shouted various memes or youtubers names during it. There are various opinions on if those personalities were encouraging this environment, or were thrown in as some bizarre distraction /aggression /homage ? It’s all completely awful. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Terrie said:

That's straight up the mentailty of an abuser. "Look what Muslims made these people do."

Yes. Exactly. He is an absolute piece of crap and I wish he would crawl back into the pit he came out of. I hope this motivates a lot of people to preference him and the Party he originally ran for and affiliated parties at the bottom. 

@AmazonGrace one of the things that makes me absolutely incandescent about his hate speech press release? It has the Australian Coat of Arms at the top. His views are NOT representative of mine, or the vast majority of the Australian community. Yeah there are alt-right scum in their online cesspits who think he's awesome and who are rejoicing right now - but they are not the majority and Anning should not be releasing essentially personal statements on government headed paper. 

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

There are various opinions on if those personalities were encouraging this environment, or were thrown in as some bizarre distraction /aggression /homage ? It’s all completely awful

If it was a live and they were encouraging it as it happened I hope they are prosecuted under the terrorism support laws they have so enthusiastically brought in.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

If it was a live and they were encouraging it as it happened I hope they are prosecuted under the terrorism support laws they have so enthusiastically brought in.

I also hope they prosecute those who were actively encouraging.  How would the NZ legal system be expected to handle direct and indirect perpetrators?  Can they get life sentences?  Be forced to pay some restitution?  I've read that there is no longer a death penalty in NZ.

• Upvote 5

I woke up this morn, smiled and stretched because the weekend, and then remembered what happened. A plunging feeling I haven’t had since my dad passed away five years ago. My husband works in a government Ministry in IT and began assistance with an emergency response centre yesterday. He is on call this weekend.

There is no death penalty in New Zealand and with regards to indirect perpetrators I (and I’m not a lawyer) would doubt there is any legal precedent for this. We have also learnt this morn that the shooter described Trump as ‘a symbol of renewed white identity’.

Our PM has just confirmed that now is the time for change with regards to gun laws. Let there be change.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

39 minutes ago, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

Our PM has just confirmed that now is the time for change with regards to gun laws. Let there be change.

Wish our so called cunt president felt the same.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 1

I had dreams about death last night, and like @HavetheyheardofBeyonce I woke up happy because it’s the weekend ... and then it all came rushing back. And I’m not a kiwi. 

Whenever I’m in NZ I feel loved. I have honestly NEVER met an unfriendly NZer (I’m sure they exist but I’ve never come across one, and I’ve met a LOT of kiwis). 

My husband and I genuinely discussed the possibility of moving across the ditch because we love it there so much. The first time we were there, it took us about 3 days to hear a kiwi accent because it is so beautifully multicultural! But ... we like hot weather and we love our jobs here ;) 

Why on earth would this Australian idiot think the beautiful people in NZ would agree with his disgusting racism? I’m reminded of the second verse of your national anthem. It’s pretty clear. You guys welcome everyone with open arms and that’s why the world loves you so much.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 6

And the thing that just broke me is a friend of mine on facebook saying "they said 'Hello brother' as he came in. And he murdered them." 

I haven't been to any local mosques (although the open day is tomorrow, so I may try and get there if I can.) But I have visited mosques (and churches and temples and synagogues) in five continents, and yes, "hello sister" has been a common geeting on entry. 

For some reason it is that greeting, among all the horror, the anger and the disbelief that this could happen, that anyone could think like this, that anyone can look at this and not be horrified, it is that greeting that is making me cry. 

• Sad 5
  • Love 21

8 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm always deeply saddened and particularly shocked when these sorts of attacks occur in a place of worship. How truly heartbreaking that people aren't safe when they are praying and practicing their faith. My heart goes out to New Zealand. 

Exactly, if any place should be safe it should be a church/temple/mosque, etc.  There is no excuse for this anywhere, but a place of worship should be safe.  It should not matter what faith, if any, a person chooses to follow.  But they should be able to be confident that they will be safe.

I am hoping that certain family members do not jump (back) on the anit-Muslim wagon.  I don't think I'll be able to be polite about it, if they do.

It's been such a sad day.

57 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

And the thing that just broke me is a friend of mine on facebook saying "they said 'Hello brother' as he came in. And he murdered them." 

I haven't been to any local mosques (although the open day is tomorrow, so I may try and get there if I can.) But I have visited mosques (and churches and temples and synagogues) in five continents, and yes, "hello sister" has been a common geeting on entry. 

For some reason it is that greeting, among all the horror, the anger and the disbelief that this could happen, that anyone could think like this, that anyone can look at this and not be horrified, it is that greeting that is making me cry. 

It makes me want to cry, too.

1 hour ago, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

We have also learnt this morn that the shooter described Trump as ‘a symbol of renewed white identity’.

This does not surprise me at all.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, AuntKrazy said:

I am thankful that my own family and friends in Christchurch are safe; and heartbroken that there are way too many who cannot say the same.   I am grieving for the senseless loss of life.  I am struggling for words because they are all insufficient.

Kia Kaha

My Nephew moved there 7 years ago to help with the re building. I heard today that he is safe. It's scary having family so far away. 

• Love 7

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

What the hell is wrong with Murdoch? 

Daily Fail is also crap. https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/the-daily-mail-let-readers-download-the-new-zealand-mosque

If I had any Murdoch subscriptions I would be cancelling them right now.

In character though - Murdoch media had quite a lot of stories trashing Islam. 2,891 in a single year in fact.

So... what is he directing attention away from I wonder? His lack of paid tax? Maybe we should all start asking...

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 4

Oh my gosh, the bastard was smirking in court. And I just noticed that he is playing a stupid game. This hasn’t been reported anywhere I’ve seen - I hope the media doesn’t give him the attention he wants. Douche. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-circle-game

Edit - I’m trying to put the pic under a spoiler. Help please?!

Edit again- I removed the photo because it might be upsetting. If you want to see the blurred pic it is in news articles about his court appearance, he is playing the circle game.

Edited by adidas
  • WTF 1

Strip him of his citizenship. If you're going to do that to extremists, be equal-opportunity about it, and this fucker doesn't even have the mitigating factor of being 15 when he decided to pull this shit, like Shamima Begum. 

As for where he shall go, what he shall do, I don't give a flying fuck, but there are plenty of uninhabited islands to choose from. I'd say to just dump him in the sea, but the Pacific Ocean has enough trash in it as it is. 

• Upvote 8

I've been reading some of the profiles of the victims on twitter. Seeing the pictures of the 3 & $ year olds really hit me hard.So many lives lost because some racist asshole.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 9

It is nice to see a country actually take action against gun violence vs. only offering "thoughts and prayers". 

• Upvote 17
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, adidas said:

Oh my gosh, the bastard was smirking in court. And I just noticed that he is playing a stupid game. This hasn’t been reported anywhere I’ve seen - I hope the media doesn’t give him the attention he wants. Douche. 

That's not the circle game. I wish it WAS the circle game, it would have been better.

It's the White Power sign - or is now. I highly doubt he meant his signal to be anything else. 

And guess where else it's been?

Spoiler

D1vBazMWkAAYOnt.thumb.jpg.63e592730ec58b4e0d683177dd84f0d2.jpgD1vBazNWkAAEwgz.thumb.jpg.9c1cc53201e5da525e558bd435bf2ade.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 2
  • Disgust 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

So Fraser Anning, the far right Australian politician who posted that Nazi-like response yesterday, got something like a deserved response today when he turned up at some far right event.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-16/fraser-anning-egged-in-melbourne-while-speaking-to-media/10908650

However, the kid in question didn't deserved to be punched or wrestled to the ground by fascist thugs who appeared to be acting as Anning's protection squadron.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Senator: "I'm oppose violence, but...." *punches teenager*

What a piece of shit. I love that there's a fund for any legal fees the kids faces, as well as "more eggs." 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

So Fraser Anning, the far right Australian politician who posted that Nazi-like response yesterday, got something like a deserved response today when he turned up at some far right event.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-16/fraser-anning-egged-in-melbourne-while-speaking-to-media/10908650

However, the kid in question didn't deserved to be punched or wrestled to the ground by fascist thugs who appeared to be acting as Anning's protection squadron.

That headlock was so brutal :( poor kid. 

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

That's not the circle game. I wish it WAS the circle game, it would have been better.

It's the White Power sign - or is now. I highly doubt he meant his signal to be anything else. 

And guess where else it's been?

Reveal hidden contents

D1vBazMWkAAYOnt.thumb.jpg.63e592730ec58b4e0d683177dd84f0d2.jpgD1vBazNWkAAEwgz.thumb.jpg.9c1cc53201e5da525e558bd435bf2ade.jpg

I’ve always been told that if the fingers point down it’s the circle game - if the fingers point up it’s white power. Considering he spoke about dozens of memes in his manifesto it’s probably a ‘funny’ (in his opinion) mash up. What a dick. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, adidas said:

Why on earth would this Australian idiot think the beautiful people in NZ would agree with his disgusting racism? I’m reminded of the second verse of your national anthem. It’s pretty clear. You guys welcome everyone with open arms and that’s why the world loves you so much.

I'm sure they don't agree with him just as I'd like to believe that most Australians don't agree with Fraser Anning's sentiment that if there were no Muslims in NZ, there wouldn't be any anti-muslim violence. Still, there have to be enough people who do agree with him that he was elected in the first place. Just like there have to be enough Iowans in the 4th congressional district to keep electing Steven King.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Threff said:

What a lovely, kind thing for him to do.  I did see two of three young men at a convenience store today that were dressed in perfectly fitted suits and that was why I noticed them.  They were walking out as I was walking in.  Afterwards, I realized that they were also wearing the skullcaps (I don't know the actual name) that I have seen on many Muslim men.  If I had noticed that at first, I would have said something to them. I did notice that they looked very sad.

• Upvote 3