IGNORED

Mosque shooting, Christchurch NZ

nvmbr02

I am seeing reports of 2 mosque shootings in Christchurch, NZ.  Not many details yet but there seem to be fatalities. Heartbreaking.

One more link

• Sad 14
  • Love 1

I don’t know whether I’ve already shared this, but I’ve lived in NZ for three years (yet was based in Auckland so didn’t know the two mosques). I just talked with a friend whose friend’s husband was murdered in the attack today. It makes me angry in ways I can’t express. There are just no words. Islamophobia exists and every fucking idiot who claims otherwise is an apologetic racist. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Sad 28
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

I’m a very sad Kiwi watching my tv this afternoon while pretending to work from home. Like many New Zealanders I’m proud of living in a diverse, tolerant, and peaceful country, and today this all feels crushing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 22

Just now, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

I’m a very sad Kiwi watching my tv this afternoon while pretending to work from home. Like many New Zealanders I’m proud of living in a diverse, tolerant, and peaceful country, and today this all feels crushing.

Im so sorry and my heart goes out to you. Yes, you live in a beautiful country that I’ve grown to love so much, too. My years in NZ were some of the happiest of my life so far and I got to know it as open and tolerant. Such acts of terrorism should not change that. Such scum cannot win. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

Our police commissioner has just told us we cannot assume the threat is limited to Christchurch and we can assume significant loss of life. Hard to know what to do next. For anyone who wants to follow latest coverage some of the news websites here include

www.stuff.co.nz

www.nzherald.co.nz and

www.tvnz.co.nz

• Sad 5
  • Thank You 9

I am just so shocked and angry and sad. I know there are fanatics everywhere, but Christchurch??? Hadn't they suffered enough with the earthquakes? This is just horrific.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

My daughter participated in the strike and march in parliament this morning. The day stated off with the best. This is all a nightmare. Stuff like this shouldn’t happen here. 

Im in Wellington, my in-laws are in Christchurch and apparently my sister in law is stuck in a cordon. We haven’t heard from anyone else. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 13

This is devastating. That type of thing is so not in line with everything NZ is and stands for :( 

An Aussie was behind the shooting, according to reports here. He identified himself as Brent Tarrant from australia on Twitter. I’m ashamed to be Australian today. How dare someone go overseas and attack innocent people in hatred. 

https://www.news.com.au/world/pacific/gunman-who-opened-fire-on-christchurch-mosque-addresses-attack-in-manifesto/news-story/70372a39f720697813607a9ec426a734

His name is Brenton sorry, not Brent. 

• Sad 13
  • WTF 1

@adidas and for some reason I am not shocked. I hadn't realised how much I was hoping it wasn't an Australian until now. I don't know what the alt-right scene in NZ is like, but what I've seen of it here? This doesn't surprise me, and that makes me just so sad.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Apparently they posted a hate filled manifesto and a DOOM style livestream of the shooting. If you come across them on some platform, please do not watch or share. Don't give them the audience they wanted,

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 12
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, HavetheyheardofBeyonce said:

kia kaha ❤️

• Love 10

And now Fraser Anning has stuck his oar in and I am so angry I'm having trouble typing coherently. When is the next election again? Can we get rid of and possibly deport this moronic evil toad? Outer moons of Jupiter sounds about right.

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 9

49 confirmed dead.

Three more arrested.

To quote Jacinta Ardern about the terrorists:

"These are people who I would describe as having extremist views, that have absolutely no place in New Zealand, and in fact have no place in the world."

To the community:

"What has happened in Christchurch is an extraordinary act of violence. It has no place in New Zealand. Many of those affected will be members of our migrant communities - New Zealand is their home - they are us.

The person who has committed this violent act has no place here."

And to the terrorists:

"You may have chosen us, but we utterly reject and condemn you."

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 15
  • Sad 1

It looks like the investigation has extended to Dunedin. We were actually supposed to be there this week (at some point) on a cruise but we ended up having to switch sailings. The investigation seems to be progressing quickly, hopefully they can catch everyone associated with this attack and bring them to justice without anyone else being injured/killed. It really is just horrific. 

• Upvote 6

That live stream video of the shooting is everywhere on twitter, do not scroll down through any hashtags relating to this Christchurch attack. It is brutal and sickening and I just have no words, none. I'm just numb and disturbed deep to my core, and cannot get those images out of my head. It auto-plays so don't go near twitter or anywhere that is allowing this to be shared or liked. I am not a sick minded person or anything, once it started playing my brain almost shut down trying to make sense of it, thinking what is this, is it call of duty, what is going on, this can't be real, is this the attack, no this can't be it actually happening, this is it, what sick fuck is filming this, what sick fuck is doing this. There is no amount of torture or punishment fit for that monster who hunted those poor people down like prey.

• I Agree 2
  • Love 12

5 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

And now Fraser Anning has stuck his oar in and I am so angry I'm having trouble typing coherently. When is the next election again? Can we get rid of and possibly deport this moronic evil toad? Outer moons of Jupiter sounds about right.

This was on top of my Twitter timeline. 

i have never heard of him before but I don't need to hear anything else, I can already tell that he is an utterly garbage human who will never be redeemed

• Upvote 2
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 5
  • WTF 8
  • I Agree 2

From what I have read in the news: I think the death toll has reached 49 :(. Not sure if the gunman or gunmen was/were arrested or took their own life... My heart hurts for those 49 families. :( 

• Sad 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I'm always deeply saddened and particularly shocked when these sorts of attacks occur in a place of worship. How truly heartbreaking that people aren't safe when they are praying and practicing their faith. My heart goes out to New Zealand. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

This was on top of my Twitter timeline. 

i have never heard of him before but I don't need to hear anything else, I can already tell that he is an utterly garbage human who will never be redeemed

That's straight up the mentailty of an abuser. "Look what Muslims made these people do."

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Apparently they posted a hate filled manifesto and a DOOM style livestream of the shooting. If you come across them on some platform, please do not watch or share. Don't give them the audience they wanted,

Keep them silenced. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Terrie said:

That's straight up the mentailty of an abuser. "Look what Muslims made these people do."

I hope Iowa's own everything-phobic fuckstick of a Representative Steve King doesn't feel the need to weigh in on this.   He needs to shut the fuck up for once in his useless life and own that his hateful rhetoric led to stuff like this.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

From America my heart breaks for New Zealand.  We know mass shootings all too well.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3