IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 3: Another Wedding, Another Ms. Renee Dress

Coconut Flan
nelliebelle1197
Message added by nelliebelle1197

Hey friends! Let's keep the raid talk here

That way no one misses any dirt! Happy digging!

Boys can't change girls' diapers. I remember Jackson had to leave the room when a baby girl was being  changed. The boys might not have a lot of practice changing diapers, although it's not exactly rocket science with disposables.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 2

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Boys can't change girls' diapers. I remember Jackson had to leave the room when a baby girl was being  changed. The boys might not have a lot of practice changing diapers, although it's not exactly rocket science with disposables.

So... my oldest is a super smart kid. And generally she has a lot of common sense. But the girl can not change a diaper and put it on correctly.  She is 16 and a few months back starting watching my friend's daughter that was still in diapers. She hadn't had any real opportunity to change a diaper in the past so we broke out her younger sister's doll and did a diaper boot camp at home the day before she was supposed to baby sit. When she got home after baby sitting we had a chat and she said she changed the baby's diaper 3 or so times during the evening and I thought it was all good. The mom texted me the next morning with a picture of the diaper on backwards. We've gone over it at home a few more times, but every time she baby sits she puts the diaper on backwards. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but I still find it funny. And for the record, the mom isn't upset or anything, she finds it funny too. It is a bit of a hassle to take off the old diaper if it is poopy but she just cuts it off if needed. I guess mom had a bad experience with a previous babysitter not changing the diaper the whole evening and she says this way she knows the diaper was changed while she was gone. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 19

I had arrived at the hospital by the time SIL was changing their first child's first diaper.  Poor guy.  He kept trying to put the diaper on backwards.  I explained the tabs - twice - and he got the ah ha look finally.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, nsgoblue said:

Isn't 3.5 old to be not potty trained re:Spurge and his diaper..I don't have kids but I thought most kids were potty trained by 3....

The general rule of thumb is some girls will potty train at 18 months. A lot of girls will potty train at 2, and most girls are potty trained by 2.5. A few boys will start potty training around age 2 to 2.5, more boys will not potty train until they are 3 and most boys are potty trained by 3.5.  My son was almost 4.5 before he was completely potty trained. He would pee on the potty by 3.5 but this kid would NOT poop for ANYTHING he refused, he would scream and cry when ever we set him down on the toilet, he wouldn't potty train until I taught him to pee standing up.  He was terrified of the toilet or at least sitting on it. I was FINALLY able to talk him into it after signing him up for Pre-School, he got to go to the school and play for awhile during their open house, and I told only big boys who pooped on the potty got to go to pre-school, and that was all it took, he was out of diapers that day. I wish I had known that was what it would take I could have sent him to 3 year old preschool and bribed him a year earlier.  I will say that the boy will be 22 at the end of the month, and he STILL has issues with pooping, but he has to wipe his own ass because EWW. 

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I had arrived at the hospital by the time SIL was changing their first child's first diaper.  Poor guy.  He kept trying to put the diaper on backwards.  I explained the tabs - twice - and he got the ah ha look finally.  

I have video of the 1st time DH changed a diaper, at about 4 in the morning on the day our son was born, he also had an issue with putting the diaper on backwards. Poor guy was all kinds of freaked out and exhausted, and ds was screaming up a storm cuz dad was taking to long and he was cold.  DH didn't know what end to tend too 1st, the screaming end or the pooping end. I was like get him cleaned off and  the diaper on him and wrap him back up and he'll stop screaming, stop trying to put a binky in his mouth.  

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

There is hope for her then! she's only 16 so maybe she'll have an aha moment if/when she has kids of her own.

6 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I have video of the 1st time DH changed a diaper, at about 4 in the morning on the day our son was born, he also had an issue with putting the diaper on backwards. Poor guy was all kinds of freaked out and exhausted, and ds was screaming up a storm cuz dad was taking to long and he was cold.  DH didn't know what end to tend too 1st, the screaming end or the pooping end. I was like get him cleaned off and  the diaper on him and wrap him back up and he'll stop screaming, stop trying to put a binky in his mouth.  

That's funny! My husband's siblings are 13+ years younger than him so he knew how to change a diaper (and all the basic baby care) long before I met him. I babysat a lot growing up and and had a lot of baby experience but he had even more than I did. Our kids have not really had much experience in the baby department though. My oldest daughter and son were never even interested in dolls so they don't even have that to fall back on. In addition to my daughter's issues with getting a diaper on the right way my son is completely clueless on how to hold a toddler. We just moved near my sister and my niece is 2 1/2. She wanted my son to pick her up the other day and he had no clue how to help support her bottom,. I wanted to take a picture so badly but I was scared he was going to drop her (she was holding on for dear life trying to wrap her legs around him while he awkwardly held her up and away from him.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

I thought it was kind of odd that Spurgeon can’t use a potty or name even ONE of his uncles, but he can sure as heck get into the freezer and open up an ice cream sandwich! I guess ice cream is priority. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12

I’m sure in the Jessa thread a while back there was comments about Jessa posting a video of Spurgeon having wet himself during potty training. This episode was filmed like a year ago, so odds are Spurgeon is trained now. 

I loathe toilet training. My youngest turned 3 in September and is more or less trained now but she still has accidents a few times a week. A few months ago we were in the thick of it and I cannot tell you how many times I was thankful she’s the last one. Potty training your 19 kids for like 30 years straight would be a special kind of hell.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I’d much rather potty train than teach a teenager how to drive. Now to me, teaching them how to drive IS pure hell.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, Rio said:

I thought it was kind of odd that Spurgeon can’t use a potty or name even ONE of his uncles, but he can sure as heck get into the freezer and open up an ice cream sandwich! I guess ice cream is priority. 

He gets them confused which is probably normal when you have 10 uncles.

• Upvote 12

It's different for different children.

My oldest son was almost 3.5 before he was fully potty trained.He was peeing in the toilet by 2.5,but just did not want to sit on the toilet for #2.He'd hide,it was frustrating.I did not want to force him,how could I?He was actually in control.I got unsolicited advice from my in-laws,when he got to be almost 3 ,and still wasn't trained.They told me I needed to spank him when he had an accident.I refused.I also made the mistake of not being consistent with him,switching him back and forth between diapers and training pants...could have been confusing to him,at first.

My middle son did not like to get dirty.At bath time,I used to take off his clothes and get him to sit on the potty(on the floor..he was afraid of the big toilet).Around 2.5 he started using it,one day, he stayed dry all day.He wore training pants,I used rewards,and for him it worked.

My youngest son had to have surgery,periodically.I waited to train him until he was 3.He was already telling me which brand of diapers he wanted.He was the easiest of all to train.His bladder control took about 2-3 days,the bowels,and 2 weeks.

• Upvote 4

One of the pre-schoolers in my family uses the potty to pee. When he has to poop, he hides, takes off his diaper, poops, puts his diaper back on and leaves. Nobody can figure out why he won't just poop in the toilet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I’d much rather potty train than teach a teenager how to drive. Now to me, teaching them how to drive IS pure hell.

Yes! My oldest just had her first driving lesson with me yesterday. Ugh. 

My niece is currently potty training, and I had her all day on Friday so that was a good reminder that I also hate potty training. Thankfully, I don't have her on my own all that often and hopefully the next time she is at Auntie's house for the day she'll be mostly done. 

My mother in law was teaching my husband how to drive while potty training two toddlers. No thanks. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

IIRC, Jessa stated that once she found out she was expecting Ivy she gave up trying to potty train Spurgeon. She said it was just too tiring and they'd already be changing diapers so would tackle it later on. 

I think it was on her Instagram. Hopefully now he's 4 they've made some progress. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Boys can't change girls' diapers. I remember Jackson had to leave the room when a baby girl was being  changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if after the family molestations that the boys immediately were not allowed to change a diaper or be in the room and watch, for brothers or sisters.  It is likely that even now no man except the dad changes diapers. Jed and the other uncles may have been afraid of getting in trouble (not from Jessa but from JB/M) if one had changed Spurgeon. Because, you know, changing a toddler's diaper might cause a boy/man to molest children (in their sick world.) 

• Upvote 15
  • Disgust 2

17 hours ago, Rio said:

I reckon he has his priorities straight. I do appreciate being able to wipe my own butt, but I’d chose ice cream over learning the names of my family every day. ”Hey you!” works for everyone. :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave: :icecreamsammy:

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 5

Oh potty training, thank god I'm past that stage lol.

My son was the easy one, He was fully potty trained by 3 but started when he was 2.5 really working on it. We had tried prior but he just wasn't ready.

My daughter refused to potty train. We tried and tried and tried and she just didn't get it, or didn't want to. Then one weekend when she was 3.5 it just clicked and she was fully potty trained in 3 days. Literally a weekend. It was a messy weekend but she got it. I'm a strong proponent for letting them be ready to do it. 

That said, my 6 year old still wears night time pull ups to bed. He will not get up at night. Kid sleeps like a rock. The pediatrician isn't concerned yet so I'm not going to worry at this point. He has ADHD and a possible sensory issue so I'm not messing with his sleep at this point to put a potty alarm on him. 

• Upvote 7

One of my sisters married a man who refused to change diapers.  It was mostly an aversion to bodily fluids, but when their first child was born and turned out to be a girl, he also claimed to think it was creepy for a grown man to look at and touch a baby girls genitals.  So if she ever left him with the child, she tried to do it for only short periods of time so he wouldn't have to change a diaper.  Over time, sis got tired of it and told him if it the baby needed changed, he was just going to have to change her.  He started going from relative to relative looking for someone to change the baby.  At first it was funny, but eventually family members and friends resented it, and stopped being so accommodating.  

By the time sis was pregnant with their second, she informed BIL that he would be changing diapers whenever it was necessary.  No more driving around with a crying baby just so he wasn't forced to change a diaper.  He did much better with the second baby.  Mostly because everyone stopped indulging him.  The first time he showed up unexpectedly at his mothers house with a toddler and a newborn with a poopy diaper, his mother cuddled the toddler and offered tips while he struggled with the mess.  

He's a grandfather now, and has changed his grandkids diapers a few times, both boys and girls.  (Still had to hold his breath and hated to get urine or feces on his hands, but he got the job done.)

• WTF 8

17 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

He gets them confused which is probably normal when you have 10 uncles.

wouldn't he have like 12 including Ben's brothers, and not to mention all the cousins etc etc 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

That said, my 6 year old still wears night time pull ups to bed. He will not get up at night. Kid sleeps like a rock. The pediatrician isn't concerned yet so I'm not going to worry at this point. He has ADHD and a possible sensory issue so I'm not messing with his sleep at this point to put a potty alarm on him. 

Preach - man. My six year old is still in pull ups. He does wake up in the middle of the night to come to my bed - and is promptly told to pee first - but he is rarely ever dry in the morning. He doesn't have ADHD or sensory issues - but is developing a bit on the slow side so his body is 6- his brain is stuck somewhere around 4 or 5 (depending on what we're asking him to do. 
I'm not sure what we're going to do when he outgrows the pull ups (which is coming fast... )

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Meggo said:

Preach - man. My six year old is still in pull ups. He does wake up in the middle of the night to come to my bed - and is promptly told to pee first - but he is rarely ever dry in the morning. He doesn't have ADHD or sensory issues - but is developing a bit on the slow side so his body is 6- his brain is stuck somewhere around 4 or 5 (depending on what we're asking him to do. 
I'm not sure what we're going to do when he outgrows the pull ups (which is coming fast... )

Haven’t tried them myself but looked into Peejamas when my daughter was having trouble. Might be a helpful transition?

On 11/6/2019 at 9:25 PM, Screamapillar said:

Jessa previously said on Instagram that she was going to follow Michelle's method of not attempting potty training until the child is old enough to take off their own pants and pull them back up. I kind of disagree with that. Developmentally, a child could be fully able to know when they need to pee or poop but still unable to employ the fine motor skills involved in dressing and undressing themselves. I wouldn't hold a potty capable child back for that reason. 

Do you happen to remember when she said this?  Spurg should be well capable of taking his pants off and on by himself unless she's just been doing everything for him and never bothered to let him try.  My students (who range in age from 4 years 1 month to 3 years 2 months) are all 100% able to take their pants, underpants, and shoes off and put them back on, as well as their full winter gear including coats and snow pants.

I also suppose if you are homeschooling and have the ability to change diapers all day, you kind of have the luxury of deciding that you simply don't feel like potty training.  But I feel like she could be making her life way easier if she let Spurg have more independence and responsibility in his daily life.

• Upvote 2

They meaning the main Duggar family in general love and dote on babies but have a sort of benign neglect of young children as we have seen countless times over the years. They run kinda wild and tend to fend for themselves the boys in particular. Perhaps  Jessa is either consciously or not Following the same pattern. 

• Upvote 3

My grandson will turn 4 in a few months. He’s not potty trained and he doesn’t care. He made it one day with his other grandparents because grandpa promised a tractor ride. The next time they had him grandpa told him the same thing. He informed grandpa that he didn’t want to ride on the tractor so he had accidents. He’s a stubborn little guy. 

• Upvote 7

my youngest was about 3 1/2. I got tired of waiting for him so one day I just refused to change his diaper. Every time he'd complain I'd tell him to go potty. Finally that night I gave him a bath and let him choose between batman or ninja turtles underwear, a diaper and a pull up. He chose the ninja turtles underwear...I said ok, this means you're a big boy and you don't pee or poop in your pants anymore. Honestly I was expecting a disaster. He woke up dry and is the only child of mine who NEVER had an accident from that day on. When they're that old and/or that hard headed, sometimes you just have to sort of put your foot down and say "no more".

• Upvote 7

I’m probably in the minority but I’m not looking to potty train early. My husband is all excited for no more diapers, and I’d like to stay with the diapers for a while ? I was a nanny for a long time and the kids would always have to pee at the most inconvenient times- so you’re scrambling to find a toilet. Or I had one that had to be reminded cause she was easily distracted- well I’d forget and then disaster would strike. I just find diapers to be so much more convenient, haha. But obviously I won’t hold my child back once she is ready. She will be 18 months soon but has shown no interest yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic