IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 3: Another Wedding, Another Ms. Renee Dress

Coconut Flan
nelliebelle1197
Message added by nelliebelle1197

Hey friends! Let's keep the raid talk here

That way no one misses any dirt! Happy digging!

5 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Same!! I was obsessed with Tommy Shaw. Now I'm obsessed with his daughter's videos and social media. Making me an old crazy cat lady..

His daughter is an incredible young woman. She was the reason he got sober. Even now he looks and sounds incredible! All I have to do to drive my son (guitar player) nuts is play the opening bars to Crystal Ball. Raised that boy right! Oh, and his daughter looks JUST LIKE HIM!!! She has a partnership with Jackson Galaxy going. They're going to be here in Vegas next week (I think). It's a good thing I'm limited to just 2 pets right now...otherwise I'd be in deep cat doo-doo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

I have this memory that must be either wrong or we've got a Mandela effect going on.

In the 1990s, when I was a young child, I was spending the day with some friends.  They were all brothers.  Their dad finds out I don't know who NSYNC is and turns on their collection of NSYNC music videos.  (Edit:  I think it was one video NSYNC released to show how they made the songs in their debut album.)

I felt obligated to pick a "crush" that was of course purely aesthetic instead of an actual crush, and I picked this guy that in my memory was a dark skinned man with long black dreadlocks.  

He doesn't exist.

I must have been misremembering Chris, or combining Chris with Howie from the Backstreet Boys, neither of which are dark skinned or had long dreadlocks.

Or am I forgetting someone???????

Probably Chris with a tan/bad lighting ?  

In college I got into kpop/k-boybands. 2nd gen (~2003-2012 debuts) only, I can’t stand BTS lol. DBSK were *NSYNC’s rightful heirs, I will die on this hill. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Nope, neither band has ever had a dark-skinned member

We black folks had our own boy bands, like New Edition. The Jackson Five was the black boy band back in my day. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 16

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

We black folks had our own boy bands, like New Edition. The Jackson Five was the black boy band back in my day. 

I was the only white kid in school who knew who Don Cornelius was and had ever watched Soul Train. J5, Spinners, Aretha, yeah, still love it! (55 year old Latina/Caucasian)

• Upvote 10

I figure it had to be Chris, if anyone, but it makes no sense because he looks nothing like the guy that my childhood memory says existed.  Chris is white and his braids were short.  I also remember his name having two syllables, which is why I think I could be mixing him together with Howie... who also didn't look like my supposed memory.  Most and maybe all of this image has to come from someone else.

@feministxtian and @Nikedagain? check out my location if you haven't before. Anyway I was so happy when he (Tommy) got sober. On really rough days I still play "Crystal Ball" over and over again.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I was the only white kid in school who knew who Don Cornelius was and had ever watched Soul Train. J5, Spinners, Aretha, yeah, still love it! (55 year old Latina/Caucasian)

Soul Train came on Saturdays and I never missed it. That was the first time I heard If You Don't Know Me by Now when Teddy Pendergrass was heading up Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. It's still one of my favorite songs.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, potato said:

I've been skimming this thread for the most part, but has anyone mentioned One Direction?  I never got into them but one of my friends instilled in me a deep love of Harry Styles.  

Harry Styles was my teen crush for so many years. 

• Love 1

I was technically old enough for One Direction... except I got into quite the pretentious stage at 15. I did follow the Jonas Brothers as a tween. A lot. But Nick is into older women, so I never had a chance ?

• Upvote 4

On 10/24/2019 at 2:50 PM, MaryOrMartha said:

I had a giggle when I saw Jinger say she decided to wear pants on the hike, but TLC then flashed to at least 2 other times she had been shown wearing pants in prior seasons. Eye roll central.

Two other times? Those were just social media pics. The only other time she's worn pants on the show was right after Felicity's birth and they didn't show that...

Or so I thought? I could be wrong

Edited by JPickleDuggar

Back to the episode,  the whole revelation that Jana has previously been in the pre-courtship getting -to-know you phase with multiple guys and that there are a bunch swarming around now was quite interesting.  I'm glad that she isn't settling for just anyone but I'll be interested to see who she ends up with. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, sixcatatty said:

Soul Train came on Saturdays and I never missed it.

Soul Train was religion in the black community. It started in my hometown and we were so proud. 

• Upvote 9

On 10/25/2019 at 12:08 PM, theotherelise said:

Best at throwing batteries? Yes. ?

Well, nobody's perfect. 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Not a boy band, per se, but a band with boys in it; Hanson. I was a Hanson girl. A Zac Hanson girl, more specifically.

I am still a Hanson girl. I see them in concert every chance I get. I've met Taylor and Isaac, and swooooon.....I would give Taylor Hanson six more babies if he asked me. He is lovely. Nice to look at but also incredibly nice personality-wise.

My sister was also into Hanson when we were kids. We are very close in age, and Taylor's birthday is right in between ours. (Yes, I still remember 20+ years later). I was always forced to say I liked Isaac best because she said I was "too old" for Taylor but that was never true. I will say Isaac has definitely grown into his face and has improved with age, though.

Hands down, though, Zac has the most incredible smile I've ever seen. His smile makes me smile.

Wooo....I just went all teenage fangirl for a minute there. Carry on.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Isaac hanson is the only one who grew up decently, but that’s probably because he’s better at not showing his ass than the other two. 

7 hours ago, JPickleDuggar said:

Two other times? Those were just social media pics. The only other time she's worn pants on the show was right after Felicity's birth and they didn't show that...

Or so I thought? I could be wrong

Sorry, I was referencing the episode from the week before with the preview - TLC added clips from previous episodes of Jinger in pants. Jill was also in jeans in that one.

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

@feministxtian and @Nikedagain? check out my location if you haven't before. Anyway I was so happy when he (Tommy) got sober. On really rough days I still play "Crystal Ball" over and over again.

You got too much time on your hands?

"And someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under, we made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are"

"Superstars, yes, yes, superstars, come right this way, everyone's welcome. We want your dreams, the offer's simple, momentary immortality my darling. Cause I've seen them all you know, I've seen them climb and I've seen them fall, I've seen them come and I've seen them go and through it all there's only one thing that matters, love. And that's simply you and I, yes yes you and I for we are superstars"

And my all time favorite but I"m too lazy to type it all out

Man in the Wilderness

Styx

Another year has passed me by
Still I look a myself and cry
What kind of man have I become?
All of the years I've spent in search of myself
And I'm still in the dark
'Cause I can't seem to find the light alone

Sometimes I feel like a man in the wilderness
I'm a lonely soldier off to war
Sent away to die, never quite knowing why
Sometimes it makes no sense at all

Ten Thousand people look my way
But they can't see the way that I feel
Nobody even cares to try
I spend my life and sell my soul on the road
And I'm still in the dark
'Cause I can't seem to find the light alone

Sometimes I feel like a man in the wilderness
I'm a lonely soldier lost at sea
Drifting with the tide
Never quite knowing why
Sometimes it makes no sense at all

Looking for love I'm a man with emotion
(And my heart's on fire)
I'm dying of thirst in the middle of the ocean
I'm alive!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

The Counting On FB page has been posting extra videos from the episodes. I figured I'd share this, uh, gem since Austin has been getting a lot of praise lately:

Spoiler

Summary: John and Abbie go to a food market in Finland (presumably Helsinki) and try various Finnish foods including dried reindeer, smoked salmon, salmon soup, and squid. The reason I'm sharing this is Austin and Joy talk about how they always look for restaurants they're familiar with whenever they travel. Austin says (somewhat jokingly) that it should be a universal law to have American chains in every country.

I can't imagine being so boring that you never even try local restaurants in the rest of the US. Also, I can't imagine how Austin would think his joke makes him look good in any way. It just makes him look like an entitled American that has no interest learning about the world around him.People have commented on him 'snarking' on the show. He's just as bad as the rest of them (if not worse).

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 7

This convo tho. Finally caught up. ‘83 here. BSB all the way. I still remember them going on TRL announcing AJ going to rehab. I cried so hard. Btw proudest TRL moment is when I made Nick laugh. He was getting interviewed and one of the questions was what was the last movie you cried at and I remember him saying Powder but right before I was right behind that interview area in the studio and I blurted out Titanic. Like really loudly. So embarrassing. Other girls looked at me that were sitting around me. 

PS I saw them at their residency in Vegas. Best show ever! 

PPS: Shout out to O-Town

PPPS: As a NYer, I’ve been in a constant state of wtf is going on with our teams since 2001 ??‍♀️ 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

My husband and I are the exact opposite of Joy & Austin, when we travel our goal is to find places we've never heard of or been to, to try different things.   Whats the point of going on vacation to eat the same shit you can get at home, so we go look for stuff we can't get at home. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 17
  • Love 2

On 10/16/2019 at 7:35 PM, Cheetah said:

1. Good for Kendra and Joe for saying they are more romantic in private than in public... unlike the rest of those weirdos who are married and living with their spouse and still need to make out in front of everyone constantly.

2. As much as I dislike Derick and think Jill is an odd duck on instagram, I feel badly for her being left out on the big family events like last night's episode.  I know that was just staged for the show and I have no idea how many things she goes to that aren't shown but still... it would be weird to be the kid who can't come over some times.

3. I still can't really figure Jessa out.  I thought she'd be one to be more independent and break away more but she's really ensconced pretty firmly in their little family cult.  

She could be there. Anna and Josh were I think. Because their kids were being watched. They just didn’t show them on film. 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Dead horse themed wedding?  Sounds like Lauren may have a very unhealthy obsession/relationship with death. 

Maybe this is why the very early miscarriage she suffered has hit her so hard? There is something very off about her, maybe it is just her young age, whatever it is, having a dozen babies isn't going to fix it. 

At first I thought it was just the general fundie keep sweet thing. Now I’m sensing what you are. Something is off. Seems like she enjoys pathos. I hope she doesn’t end up being one of those people who want  attention very badly for things like loss or being ill. 

On 10/22/2019 at 6:49 PM, Mlissmartin said:

From what I understand, is that if in Jingers heart it felt right, then god is ok with it.

You mean, if it is in her husband's heart, then God is ok with it. 

• Upvote 2

I try not to judge people too hard for their eating habits. I mean Austin's comment about it being law that American chains should be in every country is quite smug, but we all know people who are creatures of habit and just like what they like. I consider myself an adventurous eater and I like trying new things, but there are some things I order over and over again just because I like them and crave them. Just this weekend I was craving Cousin's Subs (a WI chain) and I laughed at my husband when he asked me if I knew what I wanted. I honestly order the exact same thing every time we go there- I have no desire to try anything else because I like what I get so much and I know I will regret not getting it. Sure its a bit different when you're traveling in a new city/country, but I also have a few family members with texture issues when it comes to food so again, I try not to judge people too hard in this regard. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic