IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 3: Another Wedding, Another Ms. Renee Dress

Coconut Flan
nelliebelle1197
Message added by nelliebelle1197

Hey friends! Let's keep the raid talk here

That way no one misses any dirt! Happy digging!

New member here!  Came out of the shadows when the Rods went members-only, but have watched/followed duggars since the start.  I also live in the same corner of AR as them so it's amusing to see the same places i see on a regular basis on national tv.  That being said, this might be the last season of CO Cheeseboy and I will watch; I'm not sure we're going to make it through this season.  TLC has taken the lid off and I feel like I am an unwilling participant in Jimbob and Michelle's married couple's conferences.  It's one thing to know this is their view and opinions and watch their lives with this knowledge in the background, but now they're really in your face about it.  

I'm also grossed out by John David.  Prior to Abbie he was my fav.  I liked his chill and dry sarcasm.  Now he acts like an even smarmier, smothery-er version of his dad.  I also can't stand the smugness in Abbie. Is it just me or is Michelle's sweet simpering about JB's affection more tolerable than Abbie's self-righteousness?  Hopefully time and/or the baby will damper this.  I did a catch a glimpse of vulnerability from Abbie when she was discussing the difficulty in seeing younger siblings in courtships before her, but it was gone in a second and she was back to poised smugness.  Maybe I'm being too harsh on her and this is my interpretation of her being uncomfortable in front of cameras.  Time will tell.

Ben's interviews have been really good so far; he's been well spoken and conversational to the point Jessa doesn't need to guide or coach.  She seems to have taken a backseat in the interviews.  2 kids with 1 on the way might do that.  I still think she 'wears the pants' but i think they are both on a more level field in their relationship.

Finally, how adorable was Felicity on the  Hollywood sign hike?  With that big fluffy hat, she looked like the cutest Podling (Dark Crystal anyone?)  

• Upvote 18

I had a giggle when I saw Jinger say she decided to wear pants on the hike, but TLC then flashed to at least 2 other times she had been shown wearing pants in prior seasons. Eye roll central.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

13 hours ago, LacyMay said:

Is the common thought that not wanting to travel for 24 hours right after getting married was because they didn't want to keep their hands to themselves? Ewwww. 

I just assumed it was a biggish trip and they wanted to wait until the wedding stuff wore off/they had the house set up/were settled and into a routine etc. I would hate to come back from an international trip to a house filled with boxes.

Your sensible view is probably more accurate, but since John has started showing his true ickiness he might be lying to prove how "hot" he and his wife are. A life time with lying parents probably causes him to see it as normal.  

• Upvote 10

16 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

SEVERELY old person here. Paul McCartney was my crush. Never thought about marrying him, just wanted to meet him. Actually, any Beatle would have worked.

I used to have a crush on John Lennon.
when he was already gone for about 25 years ?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 5

Look, I know Jinger is still a simpering little fundie wife with toxic beliefs, yada yada yada, but part of me is happy that she's moved to LA. I still remember her going "city please city please" while Jill told her to be content with what she gets. I'm just happy that at least one kid got their not-necessarily-JB-approved dream. Even if Jinger still sucks like the rest.

Seeing Jeremy gush over BSB made him almost (ALMOST) endearing. Maybe because I was also a BSB fan as a kid (you had to pick one BSB or NSYNC. BSB all the way). When Jeremy acts like an eager, dorky fanboy he's much more appealing than Mr. Know-It-All Fundie Intellectual. He should show that side of him more. Again, still sucks, but I can see the tiny glimmer of a person who isn't 100% loathesome when he drops the act. 

I liked that Jeremy got excited about the mainstream musicians (Alice Cooper, Tom Petty, did I freaking hear Boyz II Men?!). That makes me more hopeful than pants. I personally think that one of the insidious things about fundism is cutting off people from the wider culture. By accepting pop culture, Felicity and future Vuolos at least get exposed to the world outside of their bubble. And it's possible that Jeremy might eventually decide to lighten his stances on certain things to appear more "normal" and "with it."

(Because with the younger generations' changing values, evangelicals will be forced into a conflict eventually. Some will dig in deeper, but others will chosoe to "accept" or "tolerate" certain things for the sake of survival. I see Jeremy being a snake who adapts instead of some of the other Duggars who'd dig in. But I'm rambling...)

Also, ew, the Duggars were anywhere near Philadelphia? Loving all the Phillies fans here. 

• Upvote 21

Sorry for the Phillies thread drift . . . but just heard they hired Joe Girardi as manager!  Very excited!!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Sorry for the Phillies thread drift . . . but just heard they hired Joe Girardi as manager!  Very excited!!

Never apologize for that. They are the best team in baseball (*fingers in ears I can't hear you*)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Zebedee said:

1978 baby here, never had any time for Boy Bands, though when I was 18-19 I did see Robbie Williams a few times (my bro was a fan). He was amazing even though I didn't know any of the songs, or why people were waving lighters (Angels!). Growing up, I was way more into Guns 'n' Roses (Probably 'cos my big bro was) and had a huge crush on Axl Rose (oops). Also Nirvana (Kurt Cobain, swoon) REM, and we went to see Blur a couple of times (loved Damon Albarn). Basically, I'm stuck in the 80s as far as pop goes!
I was also a weird kid with weird crushes had a picture of  Axl Rose, Goran Ivanisovic, and several of Erwin Schroedinger plastered all over my text books. And some cute ones of Einstein, and a very sexy young Feynmann! (Also had a crush on my Physics teacher. Any guess about what I studies at Uni, lol!) Everyone else in my class had Mark Owen, Corey Haim(?) - there was another Corey people were into as well, Andre Agassi... It was the only time I hated being at a girls' school, way too many boy bands to even pretend to keep up with!

23 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

'77 baby here. Bros and Take That were  my boy bands of the day, it hurts to admit that lol Luckily I swiftly moved on to the Stone Roses, Supergrass, Pulp, Oasis and Blur! I redeemed myself big time. I miss the '90's

I loved Oasis and REM! They were so awesome!

12 hours ago, LancetteShing99 said:

My best friend was obsessed with the Beatles! She loved them. All members. She had all their records and everything else on them. She used to make me watch all their movies and their anthology. She was born a couple years after Lennon died. Number 9 is her favorite number and she insisted she was going to get married 9/9/9 for that very reason.  She dressed up as a member each Halloween so many times. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

My guess- whatever J it was that bought the Limo’s is the next to court. Why: Because of his “beard“. I think that only the manchilds that started a courtship/are married have stopped a complete shave. Josh, Joe, JD and now what’s his name. The rest is still blank like a baby’s butt. 

And I have to admit the guy in the talking heads with him looked kind a good. If they just wouldn’t open their mouth....

• Upvote 2

So, um, I've been reading this thread, and maybe I missed it, but did anything actually happen on this episode?

REM for the win and I was going to marry either Shaun Cassidy or Andy Gibb.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:32 PM, Funwithfundies said:

Haha, yeah one of my kids came out recently and the conversation was way less fraught than the Michelle/Jinger pants discussion.  On a related note, it cracked me up that they had to fly Jinger in to talk about pants because local Jill is persona non grata on the show.

I didn't catch the whole episode, but I did see the Jinger/Jeremy hiking part.  The baby is 5 months old and Jeremy had never used a carrier before that scene...!?!

To be fair, not all babies and parents enjoy baby carriers. My son hated being worn until he was closer to 5 or 6 months old but even then it was kind of a drain on my back so a stroller or shopping cart has always been the preferred option. My husband wore our son once maybe twice? He just never really had a need to and he has had epidurals for his back pain so not really the best idea for him anyway. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/24/2019 at 4:38 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

'77 baby here. Bros and Take That were  my boy bands of the day, it hurts to admit that lol Luckily I swiftly moved on to the Stone Roses, Supergrass, Pulp, Oasis and Blur! I redeemed myself big time. I miss the '90's

'78 Here!  I was (am?) the kid that refused to like what everyone else did, so I went for Perfect Gentlemen, the more "urban" version of NKOTB.  I still maintain that Oasis is the best band ever and I saw them (and followed them to their hotel)  in high school. I just saw the Smashing Pumpkins/Noel Gallagher tour this summer and was a giant grinning dork the whole time.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, BernRul said:

Never apologize for that. They are the best team in baseball (*fingers in ears I can't hear you*)

With the best fans! (*fingers also in my ears*)

• I Agree 1

My "boy band" was Styx. 5 minutes alone in a corner with Tommy Shaw was all I wanted out of life. Speaking of, I found the video of their Return To Paradise concert in Chicago on YouTube. OHHHHHHH baby!!!! 

But I'm OLD!! I remember when The Grand Illusion was originally released in 1977

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Jesquire said:

'78 Here!  I was (am?) the kid that refused to like what everyone else did, so I went for Perfect Gentlemen, the more "urban" version of NKOTB.  I still maintain that Oasis is the best band ever and I saw them (and followed them to their hotel)  in high school. I just saw the Smashing Pumpkins/Noel Gallagher tour this summer and was a giant grinning dork the whole time.  

How cool! I havent seen Oasis in concert, but I did see Blur in the summer of 1995, and I saw Supergrass in 1994, they'd just released Man sized rooster! 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

My "boy band" was Styx. 5 minutes alone in a corner with Tommy Shaw was all I wanted out of life. Speaking of, I found the video of their Return To Paradise concert in Chicago on YouTube. OHHHHHHH baby!!!! 

But I'm OLD!! I remember when The Grand Illusion was originally released in 1977

Same!! I was obsessed with Tommy Shaw. Now I'm obsessed with his daughter's videos and social media. Making me an old crazy cat lady..

• Upvote 2

I wasn’t into pop culture much when I was at secondary school. People would be posting “Team Edward or Team Jacob” type stuff on Facebook... I never watched any of the films. I didn’t watch the TV shows that others watched, nor listened to the music. Yeah, pretty easy to tell that I was so socially awkward/isolated at school that I just wasn’t really aware of what people watched/listened to... 

I never really had a crush on anyone whilst growing up either. I had little interest in guys until I was about 18... maybe partly due to being at an all-girls’ school, but most of the others had crushes/boyfriends etc, so it’s probably mostly due to being socially awkward. I have had some crushes since though...

• Upvote 6

I've been skimming this thread for the most part, but has anyone mentioned One Direction?  I never got into them but one of my friends instilled in me a deep love of Harry Styles.  

• Upvote 2

I have this memory that must be either wrong or we've got a Mandela effect going on.

In the 1990s, when I was a young child, I was spending the day with some friends.  They were all brothers.  Their dad finds out I don't know who NSYNC is and turns on their collection of NSYNC music videos.  (Edit:  I think it was one video NSYNC released to show how they made the songs in their debut album.)

I felt obligated to pick a "crush" that was of course purely aesthetic instead of an actual crush, and I picked this guy that in my memory was a dark skinned man with long black dreadlocks.  

He doesn't exist.

I must have been misremembering Chris, or combining Chris with Howie from the Backstreet Boys, neither of which are dark skinned or had long dreadlocks.

Or am I forgetting someone???????

Edited by raspberrymint
Did they have collection videos in 1997?
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, raspberrymint said:

I have this memory that must be either wrong or we've got a Mandela effect going on.

In the 1990s, when I was a young child, I was spending the day with some friends.  They were all brothers.  Their dad finds out I don't know who NSYNC is and turns on their collection of NSYNC music videos.  (Edit:  I think it was one video NSYNC released to show how they made the songs in their debut album.)

I felt obligated to pick a "crush" that was of course purely aesthetic instead of an actual crush, and I picked this guy that in my memory was a dark skinned man with long black dreadlocks.  

He doesn't exist.

I must have been misremembering Chris, or combining Chris with Howie from the Backstreet Boys, neither of which are dark skinned or had long dreadlocks.

Nope, neither band has ever had a dark-skinned member. Like you said, closest to that description is Chris or Howie. I actually can't think of any member of the popular boy bands at the time being dark-skinned, much less having long dreads! Wonder where you got that image from?

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:22 PM, LancetteShing99 said:

Alright so my embarrassing crush is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards .... I'm in my 20's and yall I just think they are so hot lol i have since I was probably 15 or 16. I probably would've been a groupie back in the day but I think they are just as attractive now too. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Alright so my embarrassing crush is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards .... I'm in my 20's and yall I just think they are so hot lol i have since I was probably 15 or 16. I probably would've been a groupie back in the day but I think they are just as attractive now too. ?

I'm 32 and feel the same way about Mick Jagger ❤️ 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Nope, neither band has ever had a dark-skinned member. Like you said, closest to that description is Chris or Howie. I actually can't think of any member of the popular boy bands at the time being dark-skinned, much less having long dreads! Wonder where you got that image from?

I must have combined the memory with a dream.  It's always confused me.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, raspberrymint said:

He doesn't exist.

Chris Kirkpatrick had dreads for a time, but I wouldn’t consider him dark-skinned. Maybe in comparison to the rest of *NSYNC he looked dark-skinned to you?

Google “Chris Kirkpatrick dreads” and lots of images pop up.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic