IGNORED

Counting On Season 8/9/10 3: Another Wedding, Another Ms. Renee Dress

Coconut Flan
nelliebelle1197
Message added by nelliebelle1197

Hey friends! Let's keep the raid talk here

That way no one misses any dirt! Happy digging!

Sadly, most Americans I met in person had kind of that attitude. They took huge portions of local food and only ate like two forks all while being absolutely praising it, only to leave and eat at the next McDonalds or PizzaHut. 

So, it’s nice to read that many of you are indeed open to new culinary experiences. And it kind of straightens my perspective. Obviously no one has to like all food and being a picky eater is fine too. But in my experience there is at least one dish in every country/culture that one will fall in love with.

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

I try not to judge people too hard for their eating habits. I mean Austin's comment about it being law that American chains should be in every country is quite smug, but we all know people who are creatures of habit and just like what they like. I consider myself an adventurous eater and I like trying new things, but there are some things I order over and over again just because I like them and crave them. Just this weekend I was craving Cousin's Subs (a WI chain) and I laughed at my husband when he asked me if I knew what I wanted. I honestly order the exact same thing every time we go there- I have no desire to try anything else because I like what I get so much and I know I will regret not getting it. Sure its a bit different when you're traveling in a new city/country, but I also have a few family members with texture issues when it comes to food so again, I try not to judge people too hard in this regard. 

This is a theme with the Duggar’s and their ilk in general. We have seen it over and over with too many of them. Smug condescension about “different” foods.  Refusal to even try. Showing obvious disgust in public when trying food that’s not American. Expressing angst about not having access to American food when they travel abroad. It’s not about textures or liking the same item at a particular chain. These people are insular and rude and narrow minded. 

Edited by amendgitan
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4

If Austin was serious, that’s one thing, but if it was just a joke, whatever. Not everyone is an adventurous eater and that’s okay.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

On 10/25/2019 at 3:26 AM, WiseGirl said:

So, um, I've been reading this thread, and maybe I missed it, but did anything actually happen on this episode?

REM for the win and I was going to marry either Shaun Cassidy or Andy Gibb.

Yes. Something happened. I actually came here just to see if people would talk about it but I’m not seeing much except one person who thought JD might be trolling and a couple who are “icked out” by him. But it was hilarious to me.   

It was the grossest thing. JD and Abbie were talking about how “romantic” he is now. He essentially said the following: “The more you do it the more you have in you and the more you have to let out.”  

It was a clear double entendre to me but the two of them were just sitting there like they had no idea how that sounded  

The context initially was how no one knew he was romantic until he met his wife. And then the romance came out of him. “I had it bottled up for so many years. It was like she took the cap off the bottle.” It just got worse from there. 

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

If Austin was serious, that’s one thing, but if it was just a joke, whatever. Not everyone is an adventurous eater and that’s okay.

Yeah. The Duggar’s and the Bateses just almost all happen to be not “adventurous” eaters and somehow have a habit of expressing that with arrogant dismissiveness. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 15

Haha I missed that. When the Governor of Georgia was talking about Hurricane Dorian making landfall he said "I like to call it the Big D." 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Advanced issues found

6 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Yeah. The Duggar’s and the Bateses just almost all happen to be not “adventurous” eaters and somehow have a habit of expressing that with arrogant dismissiveness. 

The thing is that all of the adult married Duggars, Joy excluded, have shown (or attempted to) that they are more adventurous eaters than their upbringing allowed.  I'm a super picky eater, I'm not proud of it, I wish I could change, but it's not happening.  I feel better exploring new places when I know I can eat something familiar.  There are a lot of ways to experience other counties and cultures outside of enjoying the cuisine.  

In any case, I think Joy and Austin are probably the worst kind of American tourist and international travel is wasted on them.  They seem much more suited to exploring the United States- probably from an RV. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

It isn't just international foods and travel. My brother-in-law was raised in the northeast. When he and my sister were dating and he came to the midwest to visit my family , he ordered chicken everywhere my family took him. He wasn't interested in trying the local food.

In all fairness, I must add that he does much better now.

Edited by Audrey2
Needed to be fair
  • Upvote 4

Sometimes it depends on what you can afford. My dad grew up eating local wild life. Seriously, he should of been on Bizarre Foods. Deer, rabbit, raccoons, turtles, fish, ducks, geese, musk rats, squirrels, and wild hogs. If it lived in the woods...they ate it. Beef was a luxury he couldn't afford til adulthood. So I can say I'm pretty open to at least trying different foods.

• Upvote 4

I'll be honest, the food topics on FJ sometimes just make me uncomfortable. Me, personally(not saying everyone else does or should feel that way). Growing up my family was poor as heck and we ate a lot of processed junk. As adults we've definitely branched out and learned better habits, but it's a process. You don't just wake up one day craving kale and sometimes it takes a bit of life experience to even realize how limited your palate is. Now my son is a restrictive eater. Not picky, restrictive. It drives me nuts when we take him places and people always have to comment on what he does or doesn't eat. My opinion about food is that unless someone's eating habits are hurting you, just leave it alone. Yeah, Austin's comment was a bit too much, but it's frankly none of my concern if he wants to eat hamburgers for the rest of his life. 

Edited by Silas
  • Upvote 25
  • I Agree 2

On 10/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, MaryOrMartha said:

Not a boy band, per se, but a band with boys in it; Hanson. I was a Hanson girl. A Zac Hanson girl, more specifically.

OMG I LOVED Hanson. Part of it was that they played their own instruments. They are still killing it. Their String Theory album was really good. 

On 10/26/2019 at 11:43 PM, TZmom said:

I am still a Hanson girl. I see them in concert every chance I get. I've met Taylor and Isaac, and swooooon.....I would give Taylor Hanson six more babies if he asked me. He is lovely. Nice to look at but also incredibly nice personality-wise.

My sister was also into Hanson when we were kids. We are very close in age, and Taylor's birthday is right in between ours. (Yes, I still remember 20+ years later). I was always forced to say I liked Isaac best because she said I was "too old" for Taylor but that was never true. I will say Isaac has definitely grown into his face and has improved with age, though.

Hands down, though, Zac has the most incredible smile I've ever seen. His smile makes me smile.

Wooo....I just went all teenage fangirl for a minute there. Carry on.

Taylor's birthday is 2 days after mine, same year. I always said I would use that as an ice breaker if I ever met him. LOL

• Upvote 3

I grew up with two of the pickiest eaters on the planet, who are now dealing with their own children with food issues. My siblings are almost child like in what they will eat, my brother will throw a temper tantrum if his food isn't served to his liking. He's 46 years old yet has the audacity to yell at his 7 year old because she won't eat. Don't EVEN get me started on this asshole, and his wife is even worse, My siblings will also not try different things, they flat out refuse to expand their palate beyond what they already consume. Heaven forbid the two of them not like the same things, nope, if he liked it she didn't if she liked he didn't. 

Now I consider myself a picky eater, I hate the texture of onion in my food, I like the flavor it gives, but hate biting into it. I can give you a long list of things I don't like, either because of the taste or the texture grosses me out. But that said, I will try anything, several times. because I know our palates change as we grow.  For example, I don't like watermelon, I WANT to like watermelon because it looks so good, but, every year as I'm cutting up my 3rd or 4th watermelon of the summer I will enviably take a bite and go, nope, still don't like it. 

Now my distaste for mango, celery and broccoli know no bounds, those three things can burn in hell, the smell of these three foods makes me gag and are on my list of foods I will NEVER EVER EAT, that list only has those 4 things on it, the 3 listed and coffee, UGH tastes like dirty brown water. I LOVE to try new foods, local cuisines, you have no idea what you might like. For example, escargot is actually quite delicious when prepared well. Who knew snails could be so yummy? It sounds disgusting, and doesn't look that great, but they were pretty good, I will eat them again given the chance.   

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

I'm quite possibly the least picky eater. I'll try anything. I love trying local food. Poutine in Montreal, midnight snack of fried cheese in Amsterdam, stew in Ireland, the list goes on. I love it all. That being said I will not touch curry with a ten foot poll. Just the smell of curry makes me nauseous. Although, I did have bastardized British curry, but it's def not something I would choose. 

That being said, there is a long ass list of foods I avoid in public because of my digestion problems. I won't ever eat beans in a restaurant, no corn either, nothing that causes a lot of gas tbh like brussel sprouts. I also don't gravitate towards typical Fall foods like pumpkin/butternut squash/just stuff like that, it's not my jam. 

• Upvote 5

I'm a pretty picky eater. Less so now that I'm older and have been forcing myself to incorporate new foods- but even foods that I have made myself acquire still don't come naturally to me. I have to make myself order (if we're out) or buy them- and make myself eat them. I'm never like I want a bowl/side of broccoli. I HATE when people comment on it or worse try to make special options for me. It makes me feel silly and I'll just handle it myself. I have plenty of experience only eating bread at dinner. I now do not accept any dinner invites from people (to eat at their house) because the constant commentary of will you eat this? this? this? makes me feel stupid. I don't like to have the attention drawn to me. Even If I say "I'm fine- don't worry about it or I already ate, people just don't let it go. I know that they are trying to be nice/acomodating but damn be like Elsa and let it go already!

One of my big wins was being able to eat chicken fried rice! This allows my husband to eat at Chinese restaurants every once in awhile and he's thrilled about it.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Two of my 3 kids were very picky eaters when they were little.  One of them mostly outgrew it.  The other is still pretty limited as an almost 15 year old.  We've made an effort to have him figure out what to order across a wide variety of types of restaurants so rather than just saying "Indian food is disgusting" he knows he can get an order of plain naan, rice, and some chicken tikka kabobs at pretty much any Indian restaurant and when we go out for Japanese instead of whining that he'd rather be at McDonalds he'll get ramen with no garnish.  Etc.  I guess that's the thing... it's about the attitude.  There's a difference between someone saying "All xxx-culture food is gross" and "Sorry, I don't tolerate spicy food well and prefer to stick to a more familiar place" or "We aren't very adventuresome eaters when we travel so that's one thing we don't take advantage of and we just look for American franchises."

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Even If I say "I'm fine- don't worry about it or I already ate, people just don't let it go. I know that they are trying to be nice/acomodating but damn be like Elsa and let it go already!

I have a grandchild who is food-averse.  The child has a lot of difficulty with different tastes and textures.  I am constantly unpleasantly surprised by the comments on this - even from relatives.  I'm not sure whether it's that some people have their egos tied up in their ideas of their own cooking or that they are overly proud of their own ability to eat a wide variety of foods.  Either way, it's stupid.

Food is food.  We all get to decide what we like and what we don't.  Pointing out someone else's eating patterns is no nicer than commenting on someone else's weight or age.  What you choose to eat is your own business.

I've developed some food allergies as I've gotten older.  Mostly, I avoid eating at other people's homes just so they don't have to worry about accommodating my food choices.  It's just easier.

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, amendgitan said:

This is a theme with the Duggar’s and their ilk in general. We have seen it over and over with too many of them. Smug condescension about “different” foods.  Refusal to even try. Showing obvious disgust in public when trying food that’s not American. Expressing angst about not having access to American food when they travel abroad. It’s not about textures or liking the same item at a particular chain. These people are insular and rude and narrow minded. 

I think you put the finger exactly on it.

I read the FJ posters who also explain their eating habits. I find it makes a lot of sense. And I completly agree with @Silas, that in the end, if one person's eating habits isn't hurting anyone, then it is no reason to keep me up at night.

But the Duggar's have been showned to act condescending towards other cultures, because something was different than what they are used to. I was raised with the idea that instead of claiming: ''That squid is digusting!''; you can just say ''Squid is not to my liking.'' And when you become a grown adult, you can use that doctrine in your attitude. It is okay not to like something, but then the person should admit that it is because of their own personal taste. Not because every other culture in the world should imitate American cuisine.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

My nephew's children would only eat white food - mashed potatoes, white bread, vanilla ice cream, rice, chicken if it was the white meat, sugar cookies. A niece's son eats absolutely no meat and puts cheese on everything - absolutely everything. When they came for a weekend, we had to make a trip to the grocery store after the first meal. Ordered pizza and he required one with only cheese. Another niece and her daughter are coming for a visit next month. That kid eats no bread - she'll eat pancakes, sweet rolls, pizza  - just no bread, biscuits, toast. 

Their visits seemed awfully long to us. We, including my son,  now an adult, at least try most foods. 

• Upvote 1

I remember my son had a friend who was a very picky eater. He once told me he loved Chinese food, so I asked what dishes. “White rice” was his reply. He also would turn pizza over and separate the crust from the toppings. He only ate the crust. My son was also picky, but not that picky. He outgrew his pickiness as a teen!

• Love 2

My mother’s best friend has twin grandsons. They were very picky eaters. They are going to be 17 in a few weeks & have outgrown being so picky. They are also very bright & sweet kids, but they just had a issue when it came to food. Their mother was the same way. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 1

One of my sons-in-law has a sister-in-law who is one of the pickiest eaters I've ever encountered and her first son is taking all his cues from her.  We had a wedding reception at one of the nicest restaurants in La Jolla and I had to negotiate with them to make two plates of chicken fingers and french fries for those two. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:03 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

Genuine question from an Atheist.  Why would the Lord lead Jinger to wear pants?  I'm serious.  Why does he lead some women to wear skirts and then others to wear pants?  I mean, personally, I think Jinger just wanted to wear pants, and so she has convinced herself that it was the Lord that made her think that way.  But I'm a heathen, so what do I know?

Ok, I'll bite. So part of accepting Christ is allowing for sanctification for the rest of your life and that is something that becomes an individualistic thing depending on where you are. I "believe" this is something that Michelle has been doing a very poor job of trying to explain why she believes God has led her toward modesty - she refers that she was in her belief extremely immodest at one time, and when she was saved and seeking to have every part of her life to please God, the Holy spirit may have taken her in that direction for her own personal growth in Christ. Jinger, having lived in a Christian home all her life, saved likely very early, and not carrying any sin-guilt-baggage like her mother might have, appears to not have felt that same conviction. Legalism is forcing someone else to conform to one's own convictions instead of allowing them to select for themselves what boundaries need to be placed on one's own life when seeking to follow Christ. Michelle set that standard for herself and held her girls to it at home, she admits it here but she claims to accept that once they're married and out of the home it becomes their decision. I've seen women say they felt led to modesty to combat pride or selfishness or even to remind themselves to tend toward humility. I've heard women say they became interested in head-covering after feeling they were too prideful or vain about their hair. Modesty does need to be a personal choice because like any thing that isn't one's own conviction it otherwise becomes a yoke you're carrying for the comfort of someone else, so if Jinger indeed did not feel like skirts-only was her conviction, it was likely a huge relief to remove that standard from her life. However, the bible does say that if something you're doing is harmful to the faith of another Christian and will cause them to stumble, you shouldn't do that thing in their presence. That might be where the talking to her mother before making a decision or even choosing to wear skirts when at the TTH may come in. 

I still have the theory, personally, that Jinger began to feel like she needed to not set the standard of skirts-only as the pastor's wife of a church. It's very easy to set unspoken standards that way and if she wasn't convicted and neither was the pastor, it was probably sensible that she leave that standard behind so as to not make the congregation feel pressured to conform or uncomfortable that they were not like pastor's wife. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 2

My husband and I are not picky eaters. There is little I won't eat (seafood, venison and mushrooms) and will try everything at least once. My hubby will pretty much eat anything except tomatos, peas and yams. My kids are a mixed bag. My son will try anything but usually doesn't venture outside his comfort zone unless me make him. My daughter would eat grilled cheese for every meal if we let her. She will not try new things. She likes what she likes I guess but it's not the healthiest foods (chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly, hot dogs, cheeseburgers) and getting her to eat a vegetable is an act of god. Drives me crazy.

As for picky adults, my Brother in Law will only eat processed, crap food. He will stop at McDonalds and get food on his way to family events so he doesn't have to eat food there. He brings pizza to every family potluck so he and I quote "will actually have something to eat." Don't come to dinner at my home and bring Popeyes because god forbid I made real food instead of processed fast food. With him it isn't even about the type of food. It's that he wants to eat fast food for every meal. Which wouldn't be a big deal except he then complains about his health issues due to being overweight. 

19 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Now my distaste for mango, celery and broccoli know no bounds, those three things can burn in hell, the smell of these three foods makes me gag and are on my list of foods I will NEVER EVER EAT, that list only has those 4 things on it, the 3 listed and coffee, UGH tastes like dirty brown water. I LOVE to try new foods, local cuisines, you have no idea what you might like. For example, escargot is actually quite delicious when prepared well. Who knew snails could be so yummy? It sounds disgusting, and doesn't look that great, but they were pretty good, I will eat them again given the chance.   

A fellow non-coffee drinker! People look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I don't drink coffee.

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

There is little I won't eat (seafood, venison and mushrooms) and will try everything at least once. My hubby will pretty much eat anything except tomatos, peas and yams.

I'm right there with you on what you won't eat (seafood = yuuuck!) and, strangely, my finace hates tomatoes and peas! I am unsure of his feelings on yams, though.

I used to be a super picky eater (to the point where I went hungry at a seafood restaurant (not my choice to go there- I was out with a very large group who voted) because the Caesar salad had anchovies on it and I wouldn't just pick them off- little did I know that they were probably in the dressing, too) but I realized that I was missing out on experiences and trying things I might actually like.

Edited by therulesofjinx
clarification
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, therulesofjinx said:

I'm right there with you on what you won't eat (seafood = yuuuck!) and, strangely, my finace hates tomatoes and peas! I am unsure of his feelings on yams, though.

I used to be a super picky eater (to the point where I went hungry at a seafood restaurant because the Caesar salad had anchovies on it and I wouldn't just pick them off- little did I know that they were probably in the dressing, too) but I realized that I was missing out on experiences and trying things I might actually like.

I've tried seafood so many times, because they say you tastes change every 7 years. Plus we know it's all in the preparation. But I just can't get behind it. Shrimp, Lobster, Crab, Fish.... I've never met one I liked. I try though. 

• Upvote 5

@Sullie06 I try, too, but I think it's mostly a texture and smell thing with me. I once had mussels that I really liked...but I think it's because they were in a super rich, garlicky, lemony, delicious sauce...

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic